Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 10-28-2009, 12:06 AM   #61
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation
Default Re: 2009-10 NHL Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Story Up
He's on pace for 82 goals, he scored 11 goals in 11 games.
This guy is on his way to winning his 3rd straight league MVP.

I said ABOUT 80. 82 is close to 80. It's way too early to tell who will win the Hart.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:13 AM   #62
ROCSteady
~NO FATE~

ROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Chocolate
^^^ Ovie has 11 goals now. He's on pace for about 80, though I highly doubt he'll get there. 60-65 is reasonable. And Carey Price is no longer the starter in Montreal. Wouldn't surprise me if Montreal traded for a defenseman at the deadline and let Halak start the rest of the way.

I would be thrilled and pumped if he could get 70. I wouldn't put it past the dude. Can score seconds apart at times. I think if we keep winning, and Boudreau keeps the SOB line together, it's possible. Russian machine neva break.

I couldn't care less about stats though if we can find the right formula in the playoffs and get out of the EAST.

About Montreal.....So Price is #2 now for sure?? Or was Halak jus pickin up the start? They always seem to have a fixture at goalie that expends his ability or wears out his welcome sooner than expected. Theodore won Hart/Vezina then turned to crap there. Huet was effective until they decided that Price was the future and shipped him to WSH. Now this? I don't see many MTL games but I figured Price was the truth. Maybe this is just a wake up call from coach to get him to re-focus?
ROCSteady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:18 AM   #63
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
About Montreal.....So Price is #2 now for sure?? Or was Halak jus pickin up the start? They always seem to have a fixture at goalie that expends his ability or wears out his welcome sooner than expected. Theodore won Hart/Vezina then turned to crap there. Huet was effective until they decided that Price was the future and shipped him to WSH. Now this? I don't see many MTL games but I figured Price was the truth. Maybe this is just a wake up call from coach to get him to re-focus?

Price played 6 games and was 2-4 with like a 3.55 GAA and .880 SV%. Halak has played the last 4 games and Montreal won each one. Halak is now 4-1 with a 2.28 GAA and .910 SV%.

Theodore had 2 good years in Montreal and went downhill. I loved Huet as a Hab and thought he would have been a key player for them in the playoffs as they were the #1 seed.

Not sure if it's a wakeup call or not, but Price has been mediocre at best since the second half of last year and now, he's just damn pathetic.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:57 AM   #64
HisJoeness
ISH's Best Looking

HisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Some non-popular players that are looking good other than Kopitar:

Wojtek Wolski- 7 goals/5 assists/12 points in 12 games
Paul Stastny- 4 goals/8 assists/12 points in 12 games
Dustin Penner- 8 goals/7 assists/15 points in 12 games
Ales Hemsky- 2 goals/10 assists/12 points in 11 games
James Neal- 6 goals/6 assists/12 points in 11 games
Mike Del Zotto- 4 goals/8 assists/12 points in 12 games
Craig Anderson- 8-1-2 with a 2.14 GAA, a .936 SV%, and 1 SO

Good list.

I'm not aware of his stats but Steven Stamkos of the Lightning has done some nice things for them. Everytime I watch their highlights he's making things happen.
HisJoeness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:07 AM   #65
Story Up
LAwilwintheirlsthomegm

Story Up is a pretty well-respected posterStory Up is a pretty well-respected posterStory Up is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
I said ABOUT 80. 82 is close to 80. It's way too early to tell who will win the Hart.

Okay I'm just saying you don't need to estimate anything when his goals are identical to the number of games he's played thus far. Therefore it's quite clear he's on pace for 82 goals as it stands right now.

Simple math.
Story Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:09 AM   #66
Story Up
LAwilwintheirlsthomegm

Story Up is a pretty well-respected posterStory Up is a pretty well-respected posterStory Up is a pretty well-respected poster

By the way, do any of you guys consider Mike Bossy as the greatest goal scorer of all-time?
Old 10-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #67
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
By the way, do any of you guys consider Mike Bossy as the greatest goal scorer of all-time?

Nope. That title belongs to Mario Lemieux.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #68
HisJoeness
ISH's Best Looking

HisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

He is one of the all-time snipers it's hard to say. What about the Golden Brett?
Old 10-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #69
HisJoeness
ISH's Best Looking

Quote:

Best hands of all-time. It may not even be close.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:28 PM   #70
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisJoeness
Best hands of all-time. It may not even be close.

Yep. Shame he missed over 1/3 of his teams games. At one point, he was on pace for over 1,000 goals and only about 200 points shy of Gretzky. I don't doubt that Gretzky is the greatest player of all-time, but Mario really gets the short end of the stick.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #71
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
I would be thrilled and pumped if he could get 70. I wouldn't put it past the dude. Can score seconds apart at times. I think if we keep winning, and Boudreau keeps the SOB line together, it's possible. Russian machine neva break.
I'm not a huge Ovechkin fan and despite his last two Harts I don't feel he's the best player in the game, but he's probably one of the most gifted goal scorers anyone has ever seen play the game. The guy tries stuff that absolutely no one else in the NHL has even thought of. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but the fact that he's willing and able to do it speaks volumes for the positive impact he is having on the sport. Just last night against Philly he tried a few moves against Giroux that didn't work, and he got bumped off the puck, but I was sitting there going "Who else would even try that play and have a chance of it working?"

Of course, those plays lead to a lot of opportunities for the opposing team, but when he's scoring goals at this rate you'll gladly take that. His shot is absolutely devastating too. Who else have you seen score on Henrik Lundquist from a stride inside the blueline on a wrist shot with no screen and no deflection? It's just not even fair, his release, power, and accuracy are just incredible. We're definitely all fortunate to be seeing such an illusive player in the prime of his career.

With that said, I do worry about how long he's going to last. His reckless style is one of his biggest strengths but it's only a matter of time before he ends up on the wrong end of it. Later on in his career when he's a stride slower, a little less shifty, he's going to find himself on the wrong end of some big hits, for sure. Basically what I'm saying is that enjoy every minute we get to see the guy play at the peak of his game, because when a guy plays like he does the end of his career could literally be one shift away.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:58 PM   #72
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
Basically what I'm saying is that enjoy every minute we get to see the guy play at the peak of his game, because when a guy plays like he does the end of his career could literally be one shift away.

Very true. Eric Lindros was the same way. Could do it all: Score, hit, fight. But he too was reckless and always skated with his head down. He did that against the wrong guy(Stevens) and that led to a fast decline. Ovie is a Scott Stevens-like hit away from a fast, rapid decline.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:13 PM   #73
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Very true. Eric Lindros was the same way. Could do it all: Score, hit, fight. But he too was reckless and always skated with his head down. He did that against the wrong guy(Stevens) and that led to a fast decline. Ovie is a Scott Stevens-like hit away from a fast, rapid decline.
Stevens type hits aren't allowed in the NHL anymore, which is fine because there's nobody out there now that can frighten guys to skate across the middle of the ice like Stevens.

Scott Stevens top 10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U7jUbKQYdw
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #74
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
Stevens type hits aren't allowed in the NHL anymore, which is fine because there's nobody out there now that can frighten guys to skate across the middle of the ice like Stevens.

Scott Stevens top 10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U7jUbKQYdw

They didn't necessarily have to eliminate that. What they do need to eliminate is the instigator. If someone injures your teammate, there's no way to even things out. I was always against the instigator. If anything, this creates more cheap shots as the perpetrator knows nothing will happen to them.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:27 PM   #75
Story Up
LAwilwintheirlsthomegm

Quote:

Super Mario: 690 goals in 915 games played: 0.754 goals a game
The Boss Man: 573 goals in 752 games: 0.762 goals a game

Might expanding on your opinion for me? For discussion sake.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: