Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 10-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
LA.MJ&KB#1
Good college starter

LA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation here
Default InsideHoops Rumor: Bynum/Kareem Tutoring is over.

NBA Rumors: Friday, Oct. 2
InsideHoops NBA rumors updated 12:00 p.m. ET.

Has Andrew Bynum outgrown Kareem Abdul-Jabbar? For four years the relationship between the NBA's all-time leading scorer and Bynum seemed to be a productive one. Abdul-Jabbar took Bynum under his considerable wing, taught him post skills and footwork, while Bynum listened and grew into one of the brightest young centers in the NBA. LA Daily News Blog

Sources close to the team said that Abdul-Jabbar will be playing a lesser role with both the Lakers and Bynum this season. With his round-the-clock tutoring of Bynum not needed as much, sources said Abdul-Jabbar would likely spend less time with the team and more time back in his hometown of New York City. LA Daily News Blog

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/nba_rumor...#ixzz0SnUyyO47

Thanks Abdul-Jabbar but, I agree with Bynum on this one its time for Bynum to be himself four years of tutoring is enough I think..Others thoughts please...
LA.MJ&KB#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #2
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people
Default Re: Bynum/Kareem Tutoring is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA.MJ&KB#1

Has Andrew Bynum outgrown Kareem Abdul-Jabbar? For four years the relationship between the NBA's all-time leading scorer and Bynum seemed to be a productive one. Abdul-Jabbar took Bynum under his considerable wing, taught him post skills and footwork, while Bynum listened and grew into one of the brightest young centers in the NBA. LA Daily News Blog

Sources close to the team said that Abdul-Jabbar will be playing a lesser role with both the Lakers and Bynum this season. With his round-the-clock tutoring of Bynum not needed as much, sources said Abdul-Jabbar would likely spend less time with the team and more time back in his hometown of New York City. LA Daily News Blog

Thanks Abdul-Jabbar but, I agree with Bynum on this one its time for Bynum to be himself four years of tutoring is enough I think..Others thoughts please...

I think it is time for Hakeem to work with him....don't get me wrong, I think the Skyhook is the greatest shot ever invented. Kareem is who he is, I'm surprised Bynum put up with him as long as he did. I think he could learn much more....in a better manner, from Hakeem.

See....I didn't go on my Kareem rant this time....lol.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
I think it is time for Hakeem to work with him....don't get me wrong, I think the Skyhook is the greatest shot ever invented. Kareem is who he is, I'm surprised Bynum put up with him as long as he did. I think he could learn much more....in a better manner, from Hakeem.

See....I didn't go on my Kareem rant this time....lol.

I agree. When I first read that Kobe was getting pointers from Hakeem, my first reaction was where the heck is Bynum, Mbenga and Powell, getting tutored my Sasha?
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #4
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker

+1

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA.MJ&KB#1

2 of Bynum's biggest weakness is his slow footwork and lack of focus IMO. He says he works with his personal trainer, I truly hope he can find ways on how to be quicker with his feet, defending the pick and roll. Kareem used to hold him accountable for his lack of focus, getting beaten in inside positioning a fair no. of times. Who is going to do that?
I don't mind learning that Kareem has a lesser role, what I mind is if nobody really tutoring Bynum effectively.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
SoCalMike

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
2 of Bynum's biggest weakness is his slow footwork and lack of focus IMO. He says he works with his personal trainer, I truly hope he can find ways on how to be quicker with his feet, defending the pick and roll. Kareem used to hold him accountable for his lack of focus, getting beaten in inside positioning a fair no. of times. Who is going to do that?
I don't mind learning that Kareem has a lesser role, what I mind is if nobody really tutoring Bynum effectively.

They have enough expertise with the team that Kareem does not have to be full time and the training from Kareem is providing diminishing returns, which is a natural thing over time.. for me, its not a dig on Kareem but rather a natural progression.

I think a new coach could help, just to get another perspective and new blood. And, if you are concerned about foot work, a great choice would be Hakeem.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
They have enough expertise with the team that Kareem does not have to be full time and the training from Kareem is providing diminishing returns, which is a natural thing over time.. for me, its not a dig on Kareem but rather a natural progression.

I think a new coach could help, just to get another perspective and new blood. And, if you are concerned about foot work, a great choice would be Hakeem.

Hakeem I feel would be a great tutor, I can't believe of all the laker players that reached out to him to be tutored, it was Kobe and not their post players
Olajuwon was a soccer player before, I bet that helped him a ton with his footwork, I just hope and pray that Bynum's trainers would just not focus on strength and conditioning.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Andrew Bynum has brushed me as pretty self involved. I just hope he turns elsewhere to continue to improve his game. I think he may have gotten all he could out of Kareem. And I am not sure how good a teacher he is. But he did improve him a lot in his short career. As others have siad, I do hope he turns to Kareem bc he can fix his weaknesses
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #9
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
Andrew Bynum has brushed me as pretty self involved. I just hope he turns elsewhere to continue to improve his game. I think he may have gotten all he could out of Kareem. And I am not sure how good a teacher he is. But he did improve him a lot in his short career. As others have siad, I do hope he turns to Kareem bc he can fix his weaknesses

Kareem without question knows he's talking about, the problem is not the message......it's the messenger. Kareem has a long reputation of being extremely difficult to deal with.....to put it EXTREMELY MILDLY.
I STRONGLY questioned the decision to have Kareem work with him, I thought back then that they should approach Hakeem to mentor him.
I think a year with Hakeem would show more results than 6 with Kareem would. I think it's worth huge $$$ to get this done.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:48 AM   #10
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas

ireland on the radio today said the lakers staff were not happy about this... actually they said they were not happy with him alot of the summer because he kinda blew out the plans phil and the training staff had outlined for him during the exit meeting on things he had to work on..

im surprised myself... he was so dismal throughout the playoffs i'd hoped he'd take the summer more serious

matter of fact if you read between the lines on this phil quote you can see what he (ireland) was saying

Quote:
With the role of special assistant Kareem Abdul-Jabbar reduced this season, which member of the coaching staff will assume the responsibility for tutoring 21-year-old center Andrew Bynum? "Just about everybody on my staff wants a piece of Andrew, just about everybody will have something to say," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said today
http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/20...ing-bynum.html

Last edited by gts : 10-03-2009 at 12:58 AM.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:03 AM   #11
SoCalMike

Default Re: InsideHoops Rumor: Bynum/Kareem Tutoring is over.

good points gts...

could this be another one of those "he got too much too soon" to really work on improving himself? the kid is enjoying the guarantees of a $54M contract... that would be a life changing event, especially for an immature young kid. he has a lot of growing up to do, so lets hope he does it.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:09 AM   #12
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
good points gts...

could this be another one of those "he got too much too soon" to really work on improving himself? the kid is enjoying the guarantees of a $54M contract... that would be a life changing event, especially for an immature young kid. he has a lot of growing up to do, so lets hope he does it.

i think so.. but he's kinda always been this way, he's always talked a greater game than he has.. remeber right out of the draft he was telling how he'd be better from the line in crunch time than shaq was...lol which isn't a bad thing but he needs to make sure he's even on the floor in crunch time... haha
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:30 AM   #13
DKLaker

Quote:
good points gts...

It's entirely possible that he's just lazy.....and since he already has the fat contract feels he should spend his offseason at the Playboy Mansion
That being said I cannot imagine he enjoys dealing with Kareem......I honestly feel that has much to do with it.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:51 AM   #14
triangleoffense
Lakers 14-15 go

triangleoffense is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertriangleoffense is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertriangleoffense is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertriangleoffense is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertriangleoffense is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertriangleoffense is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertriangleoffense is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertriangleoffense is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertriangleoffense is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

more tutoring the better. ab needs to learn more patience, better footwork, and a shot that doesn't involve going hard to the rim. Plus he acts like a b*tch sometimes, e.g him b*tching about his minutes in the 09 playoffs. He averaged like 8/6 and lakers still got it done. stfu ab
triangleoffense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:30 AM   #15
nbastatus
Doodle

nbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by triangleoffense
more tutoring the better. ab needs to learn more patience, better footwork, and a shot that doesn't involve going hard to the rim. Plus he acts like a b*tch sometimes, e.g him b*tching about his minutes in the 09 playoffs. He averaged like 8/6 and lakers still got it done. stfu ab
He is still young, that act will be gone sooner or later.
nbastatus is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: