Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #1276
steve

steve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this board
Default Re: official comic book thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Joker
wait, what about the breakworld arc, i thought that final issue, and especially those last couple of pages were especially poignant.

but your criticisms seem legit, i enjoyed it because i really wasn't big on the X-Men until recently, so being fairly continuity light was a boon for me. And as you've previously noted about scott and emma, i think he really nailed the relationship dynamics with everyone in the book.
A lot of the problems I had are sort of tics within the storytelling with the final issue, which is probably just me.

Actually, I think if you're not real big on the X-Men, then it works a lot better, because it is relatively self contained (going in, you basically just need to know that Jean Grey and Colossus are dead, although House of M threw a weird curve). I do think he handled the Scott and Emma relationship well except for the third arc (or volume), because the shift in Emma's loyalties is just something I had a hard time swallowing as it really hadn't been apart of her character for about 15 years at that point (although again, if you hadn't digested much in the way of X-Men it wouldn't be that big on a problem). Of course that arc also irked because of the use of Cassandra Nova.

Speaking of which, have you read Planetary?
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #1277
Black Joker
NBA rookie of the year

Black Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
A lot of the problems I had are sort of tics within the storytelling with the final issue, which is probably just me.

Actually, I think if you're not real big on the X-Men, then it works a lot better, because it is relatively self contained (going in, you basically just need to know that Jean Grey and Colossus are dead, although House of M threw a weird curve). I do think he handled the Scott and Emma relationship well except for the third arc (or volume), because the shift in Emma's loyalties is just something I had a hard time swallowing as it really hadn't been apart of her character for about 15 years at that point (although again, if you hadn't digested much in the way of X-Men it wouldn't be that big on a problem). Of course that arc also irked because of the use of Cassandra Nova.

Speaking of which, have you read Planetary?

i need to, i have it lying around on the computer, but haven't gotten around to it yet. i'll probably knock it out on lazy day since it's only like 30ish issues or so
Black Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #1278
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

What would you guys say is the best current X Men comic to read (other than X Factor). I've heard good things about Uncanny X Force, but im looking for something that will be good and also tie into the major events (which Astonishing doesn't).
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #1279
steve

steve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this board

Well, as long as Keiron Gillen is on Uncanny, I'd pick that up (even though Greg Land is on art). Everything the point 1 issue on. I'm also on board with Generation Hope for the same reasons.

I really like X-Men Legacy, but I think that's more for people who really follow up on the history of the X-Men. Mike Carey's doing some really strong work on that. #249 essentially started a new direction for the book.

I'm interested in the direction Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning are taking New Mutants. They did a really good job on Guardians of the Galaxy, so I'll stick with it.

I'm not sure how all of these are going to tie into the major storyline this summer though.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:12 PM   #1280
Black Joker
NBA rookie of the year

Black Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Well, as long as Keiron Gillen is on Uncanny, I'd pick that up (even though Greg Land is on art). Everything the point 1 issue on. I'm also on board with Generation Hope for the same reasons.

I really like X-Men Legacy, but I think that's more for people who really follow up on the history of the X-Men. Mike Carey's doing some really strong work on that. #249 essentially started a new direction for the book.

I'm interested in the direction Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning are taking New Mutants. They did a really good job on Guardians of the Galaxy, so I'll stick with it.

I'm not sure how all of these are going to tie into the major storyline this summer though.
+1 on all counts
Old 06-03-2011, 10:20 PM   #1281
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

What's a good point to start Uncanny if i'm not trying to go too far back. I know there are over 500 issues. Plus i want something i can read that is linked to House of M, Messiah Complex, etc.

Last edited by Loneshot : 06-03-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #1282
Black Joker
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
What's a good point to start Uncanny if i'm not trying to go too far back. I know there are over 500 issues. Plus i want something i can read that is linked to House of M, Messiah Complex, etc.
i'm going to defer to Steve on this one, although the .1 issues always act as a nice jump on point for marvel recently
Old 06-03-2011, 10:58 PM   #1283
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

XForce is the best mutant book right now, but I am also enjoying daken ( surprisingly, I hated the character at first)
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #1284
Black Joker
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
XForce is the best mutant book right now, but I am also enjoying daken ( surprisingly, I hated the character at first)
lol i'm the opposite, i've prefered X-23 to Daken. that said, the last two issues of X-23 have been pretty weak
Old 06-03-2011, 11:04 PM   #1285
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Joker
lol i'm the opposite, i've prefered X-23 to Daken. that said, the last two issues of X-23 have been pretty weak
I like x 23 too, they are both more refreshing to me then wolverine has been in awhile. I love how Daken is so Machiavellian.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #1286
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

I think I'll end up reading both Uncanny and Astonishing (first New X Men though). Also plan to read Generation Hope too.

And while i'm hearing he's lame...I'm gonna give The Hood a shot.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #1287
Black Joker
NBA rookie of the year

huge batman news regarding the relaunch
Old 06-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #1288
Black Joker
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Ever since DC Comics announced the relaunch of their entire superhero line, fans have been wondering one thing: what's happening with Batman? Over the past few years, writer Grant Morrison has built the character a massive mythos that led up to the creation of Batman Incorporated, the introduction of Damian Wayne as Robin, and a whole lot more. IGN's got the exclusive scoop on what's happening with the Batman line of books, and we'll be rolling that information out throughout the day along with excerpts from our chat with Batman group editor Mike Marts. One thing is for certain: expect big things from the Dark Knight and his family come September.

So let's get the primary concern out of the way first. "For the Batman titles, they will be accessible and won't be confusing to new readers or old readers alike," said Marts. "We are concentrating on story first and accessibility and bringing in new readers. We're not doing anything that will be pushing away either of those two groups." So while changes are definitely afoot, hopefully fans can determine for themselves from the information released today that many of these revamped titles are coming from a familiar place. It should be noted that a DC representative also confirmed that Grant Morrison will indeed be involved in the September relaunch, and an announcement will be coming later this week.

The first announcement to be revealed is a historic one to be sure; launching in September is Detective Comics #1 and, for the first time since 1940, Batman #1. This marks the first time that DC Comics has ever renumbered either title. Notably, Detective Comics is the book after which DC is named. For fans that have been enjoying the direction these titles have taken as of late, there's no need to worry.

On Batman #1 will be acclaimed scribe of (the current) Detective Comics and American Vampire, Scott Snyder. Joining him is artist Greg Capullo, in what will be his debut at DC after working on notable Image Comics titles like Spawn and Robert Kirkman's Haunt.

"We're making history in that this is the first time we've had a Batman #1 in many years. We're fortunate to have Greg Capullo on as artist and Scott Snyder – who is red hot after his work on Detective and American Vampire. With the two of these guys leading the charge, this book is going to be fantastic."

On Detective Comics #1 will be longtime Batman architect Tony Daniel handling both writing and art duties. DC's official text for Detective Comics #1 says, "Marking the first time Batman will appear in a debut issue of Detective Comics, the series will find Bruce Wayne on the trail of a dangerous serial killer known only as the Gotham Ripper."

"In both Batman and Detective, Bruce Wayne is going to be the main star as Batman," Marts confirmed. "Bruce Wayne will once again be the only character to be wearing the Batman costume."

What that means for the Batman of the past two years, Dick Grayson, is coming in an announcement later today, as is the fate of Batman Inc. However, keep in mind what was said above about DC not wanting to isolate longtime readers. In terms of the tone of each Bat-book, Marts said, "Each of the Batman titles is different in their own way. The different creative voices that we have on the Batman titles will have all of them feeling distinct and special. At the same time, all playing within the same sandbox, the same way that we have been. It's a shared world where a lot of the titles will interact with one another."

For fans of Damian Wayne as Robin, you'll be happy to hear that he'll be returning as the Boy Wonder in the pages of Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason's Batman and Robin #1. In the new volume of Batman and Robin, it will be Bruce and Damian Wayne parading as the titular characters, protecting Gotham City as father and son.

"This is the first time we're seeing Bruce Wayne and his son Damian acting as a team, together, as Batman and Robin. Previously, it had been just a father/son role or mentor and student, but this is the first time they are actually working together as a team," said Marts. "That's going to be very interesting because here you have a family dynamic of father and son who have the most unique relationship, and not the most perfect of relationships. That will provide for a lot of interesting stories."

David Finch's Batman: The Dark Knight will also be returning with a new #1, despite it only ever reaching two issues since its launch in November 2010. According to Marts, The Dark Knight is "a new #1 series" which DC's official text describes as "a twisted adventure that pulls Bruce Wayne deep into the halls of the famed Arkham Asylum, a jail for Gotham City's most dangerous and criminally deranged." Finch will once again be writing and illustrating, with some art assists from Jay Fabok. No word was given on whether or not Finch's original story would see completion.

We also touched briefly on DC Comics' digital initiative, and if it had any impact on his workload. "It's one extra step. It's something that we have to be much more aware of. The advantage of what we gain through the digital release makes it all worth it. It's actually an enjoyable step to add to our production process if it means that we reach that much more in the way of an audience."

"This whole undertaking has been such a joy on the editorial side and on the creative side," Marts reiterated. "I know that's going to spill over to the readers. It's amazing that we're all a part of this history making process. With #1s across the board and also going digital with everything. It's a big exciting time."

DC has also confirmed that longtime Oracle Barbara Gordon is returning as Batgirl. In addition, it's been revealed that Dick Grayson will be returning as Nightwing.

Batman #1

Dectective Comics #1

Batman and Robin #1

Batman: The Dark Knight #1
Old 06-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #1289
Black Joker
NBA rookie of the year

Nightwing #1
Quote:
Dick Grayson, original Robin and current Batman, will be returning to the mantle of Nightwing with DC's relaunch of superhero titles in September.

"There will be a Batman and there will be a Nightwing," said DC Comics Batman group editor Mike Marts. "And Dick Grayson will be returning to his role of Nightwing."

The news comes on the heels of DC confirming that Barbara Gordon is returning to the mantle of Batgirl.

Nightwing #1, a new ongoing series written by Kyle Higgins with art by Eddy Barrows, finds Dick dealing with the return of Haley's Circus to Gotham City – the same big top attraction that he once performed under with his parents. In DC's official announcement, the publisher confirms that Dick's time as the Dark Knight is still relevant. It reads, "After a tenure as the Batman of Gotham, Dick Grayson resumes his mantle as Nightwing! As Dick embraces his identity, Haley's Circus, the big top where he once performed with his family, returns to Gotham – bringing with it a history of murder, mystery and superhuman evil. Nightwing must confront friends and enemies from his past as he searches for the source of an even greater evil."

Dick isn't the only former Robin to be returning to the big time though, as the one and only Jason Todd gets an ongoing title of his own. Red Hood and the Outlaws #1 will be written by Scott Lobdell and drawn by relative newcomer Kenneth Rocafort. In it, Jason Todd finds himself as a leader of a team of antiheroes – including "Green Arrow's rejected sidekick Arsenal and Starfire, a former prisoner of intergalactic war."

"He's proven to be such a popular character over the last several years with our DVD and also the recent limited series," Marts said of Jason Todd. "The success of those stories helped in earning him his own new title and we're lucky to have Scott Lobdell writing that storyline and Kenneth Rocafort on art, who is a great new talent that we've brought into the DC fold. Jason Todd's group will have several different exciting characters from the DC Universe – some we've seen before and some we haven't."

These are definitely interesting new roles for some familiar characters, so sound off in the comments below with your thoughts!

Red Hood and the Outlaws #1
Old 06-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #1290
Black Joker
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Alongside the major Batman announcements from earlier today, DC unveiled plans for the peripheral characters of the Bat-family. Alongside these primary Batman titles will be Batgirl #1, Catwoman #1, Birds of Prey #1, and the previously announced Batwoman #1 by J.H. Williams III, Haden Blackman, and Amy Reeder.

We asked about the constant delays of Batwoman, which was scheduled to hit in February 2011, and if that it was in fact due to the upcoming September relaunch. "Batwoman is a huge priority for DC. That played into our decision making as far as our September initiative," said Batman group editor Mike Marts. "It's very important in several different ways. Not only do we have fan-favorite and critically acclaimed writer J.H. Williams III taking charge, this is also the first time that we have a superhero title from a major publisher that features a lesbian protagonist." There are even more announcements concerning the diversity of the Batman line coming later in the day.

Catwoman #1 will be written by Judd Winick with art from Guillem March. DC's description of the series reads, "Meet Catwoman. She's addicted to the night. Addicted to shiny objects. Addicted to Batman. Most of all, Catwoman is addicted to danger. She can't help herself, and the truth is – she doesn't want to. She's good at being bad, and very bad at being good." Sounds like good ol' Catwoman, no?

Birds of Prey is taking on a bit of a change, however. Now billed as "Gotham City's covert ops team, taking down the villains other heroes can't touch," the Birds will be handled by acclaimed novelist and comics scribe Duane Swierczynski and artist Jesus Saiz.

And finally, in the announcement that will likely generate the most chatter from DC die-hards, is Batgirl #1, written by fan favorite Gail Simone with artists Ardian Syaf and Vicente Cifuentes.

In the announcements made for Catwoman, Birds of Prey, and Batgirl, DC was pretty particular about not revealing the actual names of the characters involved. In the case of Batgirl, the released art would suggest that Barbara Gordon is going to be making her way back to the mantle, though DC wouldn't confirm.

"We've got to save some surprises for September!" said Marts. "I will say that there are several surprises up and down the line within the Batman group. That's also playing up the diversity of the Batman group. We feel that the female members of the Batman group are just as important as the male. That's why we're offering several different titles from Batgirl to Batwoman to Catwoman to Birds of Prey. A lot of times those characters have proven to be more popular than their male counterparts."

We brought up the legitimate fan concern that many have about returning Barbara Gordon – a character that has long acted as a shining achievement in diversity -- to the role of Batgirl. "We're always conscious of fan reaction and how the stories are being taken," Marts replied. "Our first priority is to tell great stories and that's why we hire the best creators to work on these books. That's first and foremost our goal."

Update: DC has since confirmed that Barbara Gordon is returning to the mantle of Batgirl.

Amidst any controversy that may arise, Marts remains resoundingly positive about what DC has got planned.

"I've been working in the industry for about two decades now, and this is really the biggest thing that I've ever been a part of. The excitement that is in the halls is contagious," he said. "People run up and down to different offices with new artwork as it comes in and new character designs and new story ideas. Ideas are getting bounced around minute to minute. The pace and the energy and the excitement has just been crazy. I know that all of that excitement is going to spill onto the pages and show in our September releases."

Birds of Prey #1

Batgirl #1

Catwomen #1
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: