Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 10-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
kentatm
NBA Legend

Default 'New Super Mario Bros. Wii' Is As Hard As 'Contra'

Quote:
You see screenshots of "New Super Mario Bros." on the Wii and you scoff. You've played dozens of Mario games in the past. You've rocked the whole "All-Stars" collection, you mastered the Japanese "Super Mario Bros. 2," you think you can handle just about everything. Well "New Super Mario Bros." on the Wii is going to teach you a lesson in humility. It's really hard.

At a demo in New York City this week, Nintendo was showing off some of the new levels from the game. The first they dropped me in was level 8-7 and very near the end of the game. And it showed. You remember those ghost house levels from "Super Mario World" where you had to stay on the moving platform and it slowly chugged past ghosts and other obstacles? Ok, imagine that, but turn the platform into a slavering bone dragon and speed it up by about 3 times. Oh, and throw on three other homicidal friends who would rather jump on your head than let you make a perfectly timed jump. I went in expecting instant success, I left with zero lives and a lower sense of self worth.

Apart from the multiplayer, the difficulty seems to be the most striking thing about "New Super Mario Bros." on the Wii. Completing some of the later levels on your first try is nearly impossible, and you'll probably end up blowing a large cache of lives on a single tricky jump.

And that's where the "Super Guide" comes in. Again, go ahead and scoff. I did. But with such a ramped up difficulty, it makes a lot of sense to let the computer handle the tricky bits for folks. After all, nothing makes you put down a game faster than dying 10 times on the same section. It seems like Nintendo has found a way around that issue.

It's because of the Super Guide that the developers were able to crank up the difficulty, knowing that they no longer needed to make the game for the lowest-skilled player. So you're left with what's arguably the most hardcore Mario game you've ever played. Starting to scoff a little less now, aren't you?

The game's set to drop in the middle of November (a mere week away from another super hardcore title: "Modern Warfare 2), but as far as same-system multiplayer experiences go this holiday season, "New Super Mario Bros." on the Wii is the most promising I've seen.

link

for a more in depth preview

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3176396

Last edited by kentatm : 10-07-2009 at 07:49 PM.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #2
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?

Default Re: 'New Super Mario Bros. Wii' Is As Hard As 'Contra'

As hard as these crazy Japanese Mario mods?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r86NLwCYXfk

Last edited by MTing : 10-07-2009 at 09:11 PM.
MTing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:04 AM   #3
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

Can't see the most important Nintendo title being so difficult that people would stop playing, and they would, as most of Wii owners aren't "hardcore gamers".
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

really glad to hear that. new super mario bros on DS was a very well done game, but it was pretty easy. it'll be nice to get back to that smb1 level 8 kind of difficulty.

this and left 4 dead 2 are my most wanted games at the moment.
SayTownRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
LJJ
Extra Cheese

@Mting

As in the Youtube comments. LOL @ 2:40 into that video.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by chains5000
Can't see the most important Nintendo title being so difficult that people would stop playing, and they would, as most of Wii owners aren't "hardcore gamers".

I you read about it the game has a system that if you die enough (8 times on a level) you have the option to let it play itself through the level so you can reach the next one.

Its essentially like programming a Game Genie/Game Shark cheat into the game for people who suck.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
I you read about it the game has a system that if you die enough (8 times on a level) you have the option to let it play itself through the level so you can reach the next one.

Its essentially like programming a Game Genie/Game Shark cheat into the game for people who suck.
Sorry, didn't read it all.
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:25 PM   #8
Skyscraper
Local High School Star

If you want hard games. try the NES Ninja Gaiden Trilogy or the Super Star Wars trilogy.

what old games could not deliver in length, they made up for with extreme difficulty
Skyscraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:30 AM   #9
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

bump!

apparently this game comes out this sunday as opposed to most games usual tuesday release.

really been looking forward to it.

this on sunday, left 4 dead 2 on tues.. big week
SayTownRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:06 PM   #10
nbastatus
Doodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTing
nbastatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #11
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayTownRy
bump!

apparently this game comes out this sunday as opposed to most games usual tuesday release.

really been looking forward to it.

this on sunday, left 4 dead 2 on tues.. big week

Nintendo likes to do Sunday launches… the Wii came out on a Sunday (11-19-06) and I remember going up to pick up SSBB and Mario Kart Wii on Saturday nights at midnight. It was all good too as I'd have friends over to play straight away.

So did anyone get this yet? (lol its only been a few hours since release?)
I want to know how this "demo play" thing is… I'm not so hot on it as it negates the point of playing a game BUT if implemented correctly and gives some type of notation of its use to separate the folks who actually try and those who use the feature, then it can be ok I guess… I am just going to hate to hear some snooty kid saying he conquered the game when he really used demo play through it - part of the fun of video games is the challenge… putting time and practice to learn a game is the fun of progression. Doesn't it feel good when you struggle on a game and then figure it out and progress past that point? Its like a high to me… now kids will be able to press a button to play past a part when they get frustrated…smh
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #12
sixerfan82
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTing

LOL that's nuts, it's like "congrats you just made that jump, now chew on this"
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #13
kentatm
NBA Legend

I have it but I have yet to open the box.

Frys in Dallas is selling it for only $40 vs the normal $50.

I also picked up Donkey Kong Jungle Beat for just $9, WarioLand Shake It for just $14 and Tomb Raider Anniversary for $13.

I started DJ JB first b/c I only had an hour before the Cowboys started and its pretty fun. There are positives and negatives of it using motion controls over the kongas but i'll take the more precise platforming control over the feeling of bashing enemies. I'll check out Mario after the Mavs are over tonight.

They also had ExciteBots for $9, Ghostbusters for $24, Wii Music for $20, House of the Dead Overkill for $20 and a whole slew of really cheap sale prices on games.

If any of ya'll are in Dallas or a place that has one, go check out Frys before they clear all that inventory.

Also, Sonic, from what I have read, you have to die 8 times on a map before you even have the option to use the the thing that plays for you and when it does, it just takes the fastest path to the end of that map skipping things like the big gold coins and other secrets.

Last edited by kentatm : 11-15-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:28 PM   #14
Guy10
Not airballing my layups anymore

I've played it a bit. It's not terribly difficult so far, but there are still hidden warp spots like past Mario's, and the first is incredibly obvious.
Guy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:44 AM   #15
kentatm
NBA Legend

Default first impressions

I am into the second world and so far its not extremely hard yet but I am dying quite a bit trying to get all the big gold coins on each of the levels. You can use those to purchase tip videos that show you secrets and some really slick platforming skills on what look like speed runs. Its sort of like having the old SNES Players guide with video. I like that they make you purchase the vids. I think I am going to try and find all of the big gold coins before I buy anymore of them though just to see how much of the game I can figure out for myself.

It controls... Hmm... The control is really good. But it just doesnt seem as if it completely corresponds to the older Mario games. This could jsut be me with faded memories though. I guess I would almost say the jumping and running feels something like Mario 1 mixed with Luigi in Mario 2 if that makes any sense. It didn't take me long to pick it up though so it could just be I am severely out of practice with how soft new games have made me.

There are a few motion controls and I can see how some would hate them. I don't mind slightly lifting the Wiimote up for the helicopter suit for some reason picking items up forces you to hold teh 1 button and slightly jerk down (you must keep holding 1). It could be I am just not used to it and I'll soon have no trouble but for now I keep forgetting and am trying to do it like in the old ones. Not a big deal but I know some people freak out about having to move an inch while they are plopped down on their couch.

I have yet to have demo mode be available though so I don't know anything about it.

so far it most reminds me of a cross between Mario 3 and Mario World but I can see influences from all of the 2D Mario games.

all in all I am very pleased with my purchase. THIS is the kind of Mario game I truly love. The 3D ones have all been good but for some reason I prefer the 2D. Its not that I hate 3D platformers either. Rayman 2 is in my impossible to order top 5 along with Galaga, Super Mario World, Zelda Windwaker and Adventure Island.

more will follow once I slog through.

I'll be playing this at the same time as DK Jungle Beat though so it may be a while before I beat the whole thing.

If anything, this has gotten me fairly excited to also download the new Bonk Brink of Extinction when its released for some more 2d platforming goodness.

Last edited by kentatm : 11-16-2009 at 02:47 AM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: