Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 11-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #16
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

Default Re: 'New Super Mario Bros. Wii' Is As Hard As 'Contra'

spent a good few hours with this game yesterday playing solo and it was a blast. they've definitely brought the challenge factor back compared to new smb for the ds. i just got to the 4th world and i felt pretty accomplished.

there are going to be a lot of younger gamers that are gonna get a lesson in just how hard the old 2d platformers were. still, it's pretty easy to rack up 15-20 or so lives. on single player that is...

also played a little 2 player coop, got almost as far as i'd gone by myself, but it made for a great couch gaming experience. routinely sacrificing the other player provides constant laughs. also went through about 10 times as many lives playing with someone else. you almost have to play 2 different positions - like one front, one back - or one high (propeller suit) and one low (fireballs)..

can't wait to get the 4 player going to see how that works out.
SayTownRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:42 AM   #17
kentatm
NBA Legend

according to the people at Nintendo, the two toads names are Ala-Gold (yellow) and Bucken-Berry.

Well, I know who MY favorite is...

kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:01 PM   #18
kentatm
NBA Legend

ok, this game is hard as balls to get all three coins on each stage.

now, one could make the claim that it is as hard as Contra but that comes with one large caveat. It is extremely easy to get tons of 1ups so you should never really have to worry about running out of lives. You can find them hidden in maps, you can do the old 99 lives trick by hopping on a turtle shell and the coins are so abundant that it is quite easy to get your 100 for a life.

Of course, I seriously doubt any of you actually beat Contra without using the Konami Code to get your 30 lives so its not like there weren't ways to make the game easier.

So, gameplay wise, to get everything, yes, it is at that level of toughness.

However, b/c you can always go back through levels to collect coins for lives, while Contra required a cheat to get 30 max, it cannot be considered the same type of hard.

Does that make sense?

(BTW, I don't consider the first NES Contra to be the hardest in that series. That would be Hard Corps on Genesis or Legacy of War on Playstation )
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:28 PM   #19
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

yeah, i started out trying to get all the gold coins, and quickly gave up. just getting through some of the stages i'm at now (world 6) is more than enough.

i'll let the little ins and outs provide the replay value later on.

(also, on an unrelated note that konami code works on facebook as well - doesn't give you 30 lives, but puts these weird red circles on the page..)
SayTownRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #20
Guy10
Not airballing my layups anymore

I already beat the game level-wise, but I still have to go back and collect all the coins.

The perk you get for beating the game is well worth it instead of trying to collect all the coins beforehand.
Guy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:05 PM   #21
DeuceWallaces
NBA Legend

I'm throwing this one on my christmas list. I've got Dragon Age, GH: Van Halen, and RB: Beatles to keep me busy until then.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:44 PM   #22
intrinsic
Local High School Star

This might be a good enough reason to finally eject House of the Dead from the Wii.
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: