Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 10-10-2009, 12:58 AM   #16
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation
Default Re: by july 3rd next year, i will be dunking..

Good luck, man. Hopefully I can also be posterizing people by then.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #17
Lancerballer21
Serious playground baller

Lancerballer21 has an OK reputation so far

I think i should be able to dunk by january, cause today after soccer i was putting the equipment away and i went into the gym and gripped the rim at ten feet. Plus i got like 2 or 3 weeks after soccer is over before bball tryouts that i can hit the weights as hard as possible. btw im 6' 4"
Lancerballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #18
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

phoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerballer21
I think i should be able to dunk by january, cause today after soccer i was putting the equipment away and i went into the gym and gripped the rim at ten feet. Plus i got like 2 or 3 weeks after soccer is over before bball tryouts that i can hit the weights as hard as possible. btw im 6' 4"
Lucky. I was grabbing rim before my hiatus from the gym. I havent tried it since then. I am 5'9",BTW.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:49 PM   #19
Brujesino
Someone buy me a PS4

Brujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

how old is too old to increase your vertical?

obviously its better to start young,lets say 25yrs old is that too old?
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:05 AM   #20
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

First of all I'm not surprised a ton of people want to do this haha. I do too. My goal is also to dunk by June/July next summer.

As of Friday morning I'm:

21 years old (b-day 3 weeks ago)
6' tall
211.5 lbs
7' 8.5" standing reach
22" vert (running, on a good day, can get about 9'6")

I'd like to get about 10-12 inches on my vert.

My first priority is dropping weight. I'm going hard as of Friday. 12 hours ago I ran 2 miles, and walked 5. I'm rejoining the gym in the a.m.. I'm really going to focus on cardio and being in playing shape first, then strength.

I feel more comfortable 2 foot jumping, but get about an inch or two higher jumping off of my right leg. So I don't know which to work on.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:11 AM   #21
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew

Kumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino

Not at all man. If you can lift weights, and practice jumpin, you can increase it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
I feel more comfortable 2 foot jumping, but get about an inch or two higher jumping off of my right leg. So I don't know which to work on.

I would go with 2 feet, if it's more comfortable. Plus, to me, it looks better and shows strength more.

Worked my legs today, went with lighter weights, but ATG squats.

Squats: 185x6, 205x6, 215x6

Then I went up to 225, went all the way down a couple times, then chanced a third time and got stuck, had to throw the bar off my back, and hurt my arm... but just kind of disappointed I couldn't atleast take off some weight and go again. I played some ball and stretched after though, jumping well. I decided I'm not gonna jump to get rim for a month, not even worry about it, then see where I am in a while.
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #22
Zak

Zak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputation

Good luck to all of you trying to dunk. I first touched rim some time in 8th grade, at around 5'10, dunked for the first time at 6'1 or so in the last week of 9th grade, i'm in 10th grade now, and measured at 6'2.5 yesterday and i'm looking to get a dunk down in game.
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:51 AM   #23
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino

I'm 25 at the moment and I've been operating the past 5 years under the assumption that I'd probably have lost some inches on my vertical by now. However, that has not been the case. I've been dunking at any given opportunity this last half decade, trying to not take this ability that I'd inevitably lose for granted. But somehow, despite an injury plagued summer, I'm honestly rising up higher than ever before.

It appears as long as I continue playing and thriving to dunk, I'm able to sustain and improve my ability. At 6'3'' with a 95'' inch reach, it's not a foregone conclusion that I'll be slamming until I'm 40, but I'm going to hang onto it for as long as humanly possible.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #24
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew

Kumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat cool

Almost got one down today halfftime.. really surprised myself, but motivating too.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:43 PM   #25
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm with you and Kumo.

I could dunk volleyballs back when I was 5'7" but right now I have a f*cked up spine and neck but I want to return to glory dayz @ around 5'10.5". 175 built, but only started squats and deadlifts like last week.

WELL MAKE IT HAPPEN JULY!!
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:21 AM   #26
Quata
TheBogeyOne

Quata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation here

I've been thinking of starting to do a little work also.
Currently 6'0 with a 7'6-7'7 standing reach.
Running jump i can get just below the bottom of my fingers touching the rim so i guess i have around a what, about 32-34inch vert? Think thats right, but yeh ive never been to the gym in my life really, but am pretty light, hopefully with playing a bit more and doing some leg excercises ill be able to get up there, dont know how high i can jump with the ball but id imagine it will put me off a bit, and palming it might be a problem, will keep yall updated.
if i fail i blame it on being white :P

First goal: Try to dunk with one of these crappy balls

they are hell light and grippy, just to get me used to holding something when i jump and putting it into the ring.
Will try on monday when i play- will get plowking to confirm whether i suceed or not

Last edited by Quata : 10-16-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Quata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:20 PM   #27
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew

How's the training going gents?
Old 10-20-2009, 11:43 PM   #28
zxc5395
Can barely lace up my sneakers

zxc5395 has an OK reputation so far

Im also planning on dunking by 2010 June which is my birthday. But ive heard rumors that squats stunt your growth and i dont wanna take any chances. Im 15 and can hit rim on good days. What do you think about doing squats? Does anyone know any alternatives? Also i cant grip the ball...
zxc5395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:44 AM   #29
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxc5395
Im also planning on dunking by 2010 June which is my birthday. But ive heard rumors that squats stunt your growth and i dont wanna take any chances. Im 15 and can hit rim on good days. What do you think about doing squats? Does anyone know any alternatives? Also i cant grip the ball...

Whoa! I have an ISH twin. O_o (Welcome, BTW)

Well, for squats, I suggest you do them like this. You don't need weights, though. The beauty of this is that while this is primarily targeted at working on your running vert (as you are training your legs separately), the gains will soon translate into gains for your two-foot jump, too, whereas the squat will just work on your two-foot gather. Oh, and I suggest you watch these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czwYS6feqEQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo6m9...eature=related
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:13 AM   #30
Euroball5
I brick open layups

Euroball5 has an OK reputation so far

Good luck.
My goal is to touch rim by summer 2011.
Euroball5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: