Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 10-22-2009, 01:21 AM   #31
halffttime
shorty doowop

halffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: by july 3rd next year, i will be dunking..

still touching rim with one step.. my goal is to start "grabbing" it by christmas, that is start pulling it down with my finger tips to make that slight rim clapping noise.. if i play basketball tommorow, i'll try "grabbing" it with a small run-up to the basket.

haven't really started squats yet, only my 2nd week in the school gym. that's no excuse though.

weight loss is progressing. i'm down to 185 last time i checked.. i'm trying to check only once every 10 days. i find myself cheating or slacking off when i see progress, kinda weird how it affects others the opposite..

train on guise.. train on..

halffttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:44 AM   #32
Quata
TheBogeyOne

Quata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation here

Just managed to slide a little plastic ball in while getting my fingers over the ring on monday, dont know if that counts as a dunk :P. But yeah probably another 4 inches off dunking a proper ball. Just started doing some basic drills a few days ago- squats, calf raises and ****, hopefully after a month will give me those extra few inches.
PS- fuck my short arms.
Quata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:31 AM   #33
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

If it is your first time doing those exercises then they will probably help you quite a bit and pretty fast too. With weightlifting you see huge benefits and first, then it's ever so slowly from there, which is when/why most people quit. You can't quit though because you will lose everything you ever gained. It's easier to get it back the second time around but still it would suck to lose all you worked for.

WARNING: ChEESY MOTIVATIONAL MATERIAL AHEAD!

It sounds like most people here are pretty young and in the same position as me, which is wanting to dunk a basketball. I recently turned 21 and have only been able to grab rim at best. I'm 5'11, but more importantly my reach is only 7'7, which isn't very good. 29 inches to tap the damn rim hit me hard when I first started to get into measurables... and then I come to find out that you need to be about 7 inches over the rim to dunk. That's 36 inches! 3 feet in the air... Pretty daunting, but I have come to the realization that it can be done, you just have to be very disciplined and know what you are doing. I am not dunking yet, but 6 weeks ago I started to the VJB intermediate reactive program, and I have put on about an inch and half in that time. Now, that is impressive to me because I am not like most of you in that you guys don't have much experience lifting weights building a base... I have been lifting for years and have a great base already in place. That means I have less of a ceiling because I already have good muscle development. I have done squats, cleans, and all that stuff and have gained a lot of strength throughout my body... so the fact that this program is working is a great sign, especially in the first 6 weeks.. which typically isn't normal for someone like me who already has done things to help vertical. I will have to fill you guys in on my progress as I go (I will be doing youtube blogs so there will be some vids) Hopefully by the end of this 4 month workout I will be dunking and it will give you guys inspiration. If not... well then I will keep trying.

Just remember, life is short and before you know it you will be 35 with a bad back and rickety knees and you won't physically be able to dunk... Lord knows if you the aspirations to dunk at one time you will have it again so might as well try and follow through with it. You can't quit either, if dunking is your goal, try to gain as much knowledge as you can, work hard, and work smart. BE SURE YOU STRETCH! The characteristics of people who have explosive ability are high calve muscles, long Achilles tendons, and long legs. Well you can't lengthen your legs really, but you can lengthen muscles and tendons so make sure you are stretching. Also, work your core. If you have a strong lower back and abs, trust me, it helps. It's not much, but it's just another thing which can help. Make sure you get enough rest too. You muscles can't recover/build if you keep breaking them down. DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED!
Just because you didn't gain anything from 2 weeks ago is not any reason to get down. It's totally normal and doesn't mean what you are doing isn't working (I mean it probably does if you are doing the wrong thing... so again, know what you are doing). The way most programs work is that they shock the muscles in order to get response. That response will generally not come right away, but weeks, or months down the road when the workload gets lighter. You will especially see results after resting for a week or two doing nothing at all.

I have to much to say I need to stop... but anyway cool site here and I am interested to hear how everybody is doing and hopefully there will be many success stories!

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 10-25-2009 at 02:33 AM.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:05 AM   #34
Quata
TheBogeyOne

Quata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation here

Yeah bro i feel you, i am 6foot1/2inch or so and only have a reach of 7'6-7'7. Its more frustrating in terms of steals/blocks than dunking, but oh wells, guess it makes you work harder if you have a goal.
Coming soon to film: Skinny 6foot 70kg(154lb) white boy with 7'7reach dunking
Quata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:07 PM   #35
halffttime
shorty doowop

halffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation here

seen this black dude in the gym, probably around an inch or two shorter than me, explode from right under the rim with a 2 hander and no step at all. the ball rimmed out but it's crazy how he just explodes like that. the funny thing is, he isn't even that "fit". he's probably in his 20's and maybe 15% body fat..

no school for a week, that means no ball + weightroom + cardio.. i might do some light workout with the limited equipment i have at home..
Old 10-25-2009, 06:11 PM   #36
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew

Kumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat cool

Was going well, but my last leg session was horrible. I need to keep stretching consistently 2x a day. I just gotta push hard till November 6, then I get a rest week... and hopefully can come back with some nice gains. Feeling burnt out, but just gonna try and get about 10 pounds up on my squat by break.
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:19 PM   #37
Brujesino
Someone buy me a PS4

Brujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

how do you measure your reach?

iam guessing stand up straight lift your arms in the air as high as you can and measure them right?

anyways iam gonna start to get in on this i need about 7 to 8 inches on my vert to start dunking but iam too busy with work and i have no room in my house to work out but in about a week i should have it all planned out
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:32 PM   #38
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
how do you measure your reach?

iam guessing stand up straight lift your arms in the air as high as you can and measure them right?

anyways iam gonna start to get in on this i need about 7 to 8 inches on my vert to start dunking but iam too busy with work and i have no room in my house to work out but in about a week i should have it all planned out

Yea just lift one arm up to it's highest point and measure the tip of your middle finger (assuming that is your tallest finger... it should be lol).

Quote:
Yeah bro i feel you, i am 6foot1/2inch or so and only have a reach of 7'6-7'7. Its more frustrating in terms of steals/blocks than dunking, but oh wells, guess it makes you work harder if you have a goal.

Yea it makes life a lot harder when it comes to basketball, but you have to go with what you are given. Hey it could be a lot worse too... We could be 5'9 and have a reach of 7'3 like my dad 36 inches to dunk is definitely doable so keep at it.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:37 AM   #39
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Ok guys so tonight we (me and my buddy Sean) started our dunk log. There are actually 3 people involved, but Ryan (who is mentioned in the video but is not shown) was over at his gf's most likely getting some tang... So he was unavailable We will get him on there later, but for now it's me and Sean.

The video is pretty self explanatory, but a few side notes are that when I started this program 6 weeks ago I was at about a 28 inch vert standing, and maybe 31 running. My standing now is about what my running was so it's safe to say that I have gained roughly 3 inches over these 6 weeks... which is pretty freaking awesome. Also, Sean has been able to dunk for a while... It's usually a block party at 24 Hour fitness when we go play lol. He hurt his knee 2 weeks ago tho doing squat and has been on the shelf the past couple weeks. His knee doesn't hurt now, but I will be the first to tell you that he was not quite himself. His 2 footed running vert looked about right but the others were pretty lame for what he normally does... So expect to see better things in a hurry there ; ) Anyway, so while mine and Ryan's aspirations are to dunk, Sean's is to really get up there and be able to throw it in off vert and stuff like that. I mean myself and Ryan hope we can do that too... but let's take one step at a time here haha.

Ok, so enjoy the vid and stay tuned. I will be making 3 new vids a week showing us training and testing. VJB FTW ya'll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzO-U0u-bao
Old 10-26-2009, 11:04 PM   #40
Brujesino
Someone buy me a PS4

Brujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Ok guys so tonight we (me and my buddy Sean) started our dunk log. There are actually 3 people involved, but Ryan (who is mentioned in the video but is not shown) was over at his gf's most likely getting some tang... So he was unavailable We will get him on there later, but for now it's me and Sean.

The video is pretty self explanatory, but a few side notes are that when I started this program 6 weeks ago I was at about a 28 inch vert standing, and maybe 31 running. My standing now is about what my running was so it's safe to say that I have gained roughly 3 inches over these 6 weeks... which is pretty freaking awesome. Also, Sean has been able to dunk for a while... It's usually a block party at 24 Hour fitness when we go play lol. He hurt his knee 2 weeks ago tho doing squat and has been on the shelf the past couple weeks. His knee doesn't hurt now, but I will be the first to tell you that he was not quite himself. His 2 footed running vert looked about right but the others were pretty lame for what he normally does... So expect to see better things in a hurry there ; ) Anyway, so while mine and Ryan's aspirations are to dunk, Sean's is to really get up there and be able to throw it in off vert and stuff like that. I mean myself and Ryan hope we can do that too... but let's take one step at a time here haha.

Ok, so enjoy the vid and stay tuned. I will be making 3 new vids a week showing us training and testing. VJB FTW ya'll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzO-U0u-bao

your vid was removed
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:12 PM   #41
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Yea my bad I took it down for a little bit cus we got a new one up now with Ryan. Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QgUH4Hy3h0

Also, I have a training session vid now too so you can see how it's all happening : D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY2Rj...eature=channel

And another training session...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FftiCAsjZBA

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 10-30-2009 at 02:30 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:06 PM   #42
zxc5395
Can barely lace up my sneakers

zxc5395 has an OK reputation so far

does anyone know about jumpsoles?

link here

I heard the sht rlly works but som say that u can get a permanent injury to ur kneecap or something

anyone tried it? the results are supposd to be +5 to 10 inches on ur vert
zxc5395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:40 AM   #43
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxc5395
does anyone know about jumpsoles?

link here

I heard the sht rlly works but som say that u can get a permanent injury to ur kneecap or something

anyone tried it? the results are supposd to be +5 to 10 inches on ur vert
I can't say for sure, but I would bet money that it doesn't work that well. Those might help a little bit, but for 100 bucks you are not going to get half the results just wearing some dumb shoes as you would a legit program... and if they have you doing exercises, well you could prolly get the same gains without the shoes. Go with a legit program like the VJB or Vertical Project, put in the work, and watch your vert soar. Thses shoes are for lazy people who don't want to put in the work and are looking for a quick fix... **** doesn't work that way. They will have to learn the hard way. Don't be one of those people.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:01 AM   #44
mika
High School Varsity 12th Man

mika has a terrific reputationmika has a terrific reputationmika has a terrific reputationmika has a terrific reputationmika has a terrific reputationmika has a terrific reputation

There are better ways to spend money than on Jumpsoles.

You would be better off buying a gym pass and starting a solid weight training program.

Out of all the programs I have read; VJB and Vertfreak101's Become a Freak are the best out there.
mika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:03 PM   #45
halffttime
shorty doowop

vacation week i over, school starts again tommorow.. the next 2 months i'll be focusing on weight-loss. this month especiallly, i'm gonna work my ass off. i'll be eating below maintenance, lifting weights, cardio on the bike, and playing ball as well. i know it's alot of activity for eating below maintenance, but i really had a goal set out to be around 165-170 by christmas and i want to try and come close to it at least. right now i'm at 184lbs and probably just around 20% bf..
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: