Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 10-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Preseason

From Bonnell's column today:

Quote:
5 Bobcats questions entering preseason

Rick Bonnell
rbonnell@charlotteobserver.com
Posted: Monday, Oct. 05, 2009

Charlotte Bobcats coach Larry Brown, left, directs Dontell Jefferson, center, and Nazr Mohammed, right, during practice at NBA basketball training camp in Charlotte, N.C., Wednesday, Sept. 30, 2009. (AP Photo/Chuck Burton)
Buy Photo | Store

The preseason is about experimentation and problem-solving. The Charlotte Bobcats have plenty of problems to solve and some experiments to conduct, starting with tonight's preseason opener in Cleveland vs. the Cavaliers.

Observer NBA writer Rick Bonnell considers five open questions as a week of training camp concluded:

1 What do you do for a power forward?

This was a head-scratcher before Boris Diaw and Vlade Radmanovic sprained their ankles. Radmanovic is back and listed as the starter against the Cavs, but Diaw will likely sit out the first four exhibitions.

Alexis Ajinca is getting a ton of attention, as they try to coach him up to a rotation player. Radmanovic has the height of a power forward, but is more a lengthy jump shooter than a conventional post player or rebounder. Coach Larry Brown has said Gerald Wallace and Stevie Graham might slide over to power forward on occasion, making the Bobcats' lineup quite small.

2 So is Ajinca up to heavy minutes?

This is certainly the time to find out, when the games don't count. They need him to start producing, to avoid another Sean May situation where a former first-round pick fits an obvious need, but doesn't contribute given great opportunity.

The telling statistic for Ajinca might be fouls committed. He was frail last season, and that made it difficult for him to hold position in the post, either offensively or defensively, without fouling. The coaches want him to start playing like he's 7-foot, which means fewer 20-foot jump shots and more rebounds and blocked shots.

3 How will the injuries impact building team chemistry?

This was the question Gerald Wallace posed in an interview Monday. With Diaw and center Tyson Chandler both recovering from ankle injuries, the Bobcats will spend much of the preseason playing without their projected starting big men. Can the starters jell quickly in the last 10 days before the season-opener, once these two are healed?

I passed Wallace's comment on to shooting guard Raja Bell, who offered this perspective: While it's never good for starters to miss long stretches of the preseason, Diaw and Chandler are the right people to catch up on the fly.

Bell said Diaw and Chandler are particularly cerebral players, so they probably can keep up from the sidelines of practice as well as anyone could.

4 How much will the rookies play?

The Bobcats were genuinely excited about getting Gerald Henderson in the first round and Derrick Brown in the second. But two free-agent acquisitions just before training camp might push them out of the rotation.

Flip Murray is a scorer, which the Bobcats obviously need, having finished last in points per game last season. That will eat into Henderson's minutes behind Bell. Stevie Graham is rugged and a veteran, which makes for a crowd at Derrick Brown's small forward position.

5 So Graham makes the regular-season roster?

That's the way the wind is blowing. When Larry Brown calls you his new “George Lynch,'' as Brown said of Graham recently, it's a sign the guy is a keeper. Graham is tough enough that he could play some power forward in a small lineup.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

onewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Preseason

Are the pre-season games televised? I couldn't find anything on today's TV schedule.
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewickedlady
Are the pre-season games televised? I couldn't find anything on today's TV schedule.

I don't know. I think I remember hearing that some of them will be on. The last preseason game I remember watching on tv was when Ammo blew out his knee, so maybe it's not so good an idea.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
BeebCats
Serious playground baller

BeebCats has an OK reputation so far

I am so hyped, I REALLY hope Ajinca impresses and can become a rotation player.
BeebCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

onewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputation

Checked bobcats.com and looks like the game is televised on Fox Sports Ohio. Not here! But we can listen. There is a "Listen Live" link on the bobcats.com web site.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Cats @ Cavs:

Nazr playing his hind end off. Too many Bobcat turnovers. I couldn't get any sound.

Half time: This would have been a fun game to watch. Hope Thursday night's game is fun.

Last edited by onewickedlady : 10-06-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
BeebCats

I just got back from the gym, checked for a link... and lo and behold!!

http://atdhe.net/9516/watch-charlotte-vs-cleveland

Just in time for the last part of the game. Let's go cats!

Old 10-06-2009, 09:21 PM   #8
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

We were tied with the Cavs at least twice but now seem to be ten points behind. I'm watching on---------
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2009100605.
Sorry I didn't put the link here earlier.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:26 PM   #9
BeebCats

Quote:
We were tied with the Cavs at least twice but now seem to be ten points behind. I'm watching on---------
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2009100605.
Sorry I didn't put the link here earlier.

Why follow by boxscore, when there's a streaming link?

Ajinca with the hook shot I hope he cracks the rotation. Derrick brown had a nice up and under earlier too.

And another hook by Ajinca! He's working the post some more, I love to see that

And an alleyoop from dj to ajinca

Last edited by BeebCats : 10-06-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeebCats
I just got back from the gym, checked for a link... and lo and behold!!

http://atdhe.net/9516/watch-charlotte-vs-cleveland

Just in time for the last part of the game. Let's go cats!

Thanks for the link!!! I had no idea. It would be terrific if you could post these for all the preseason games if you can.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #11
BeebCats

Quote:
Thanks for the link!!! I had no idea. It would be terrific if you could post these for all the preseason games if you can.

No problem, hope you caught that alley oop

Just bookmark this link: http://atdhe.net/

It usually has a bunch of games (if they're on TV anywhere, which I think this game is being shown in Ohio).

Man... we keep stealing it, but can't convert to points!

Last edited by BeebCats : 10-06-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:38 PM   #12
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

And it's over.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:38 PM   #13
BeebCats

Would've liked the win, but heck, anything is better than the way we started last year (40-9 first quarter, anyone?).

Glad the NBA is back, this season is going to be a blast!
Old 10-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #14
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Saw some good things from the guys. Considering we're down to 3 starters I feel pretty good.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:11 AM   #15
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board

For game links...over at Bobcats' Planet in the game threads we're frantically looking for them right before the game. More times than not if there is one someone will have put it up in there.

I thought we looked pretty good! All the rooks showed promise and Nazr was a flat beast vs. their starters!

I'm even more optimistic now than I was this summer.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: