Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds
 
A.M.G.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: plane of pure scrumtrulesence
Posts: 3,468
Default Luke Cothron to N.C. State/WTF is happening with Renardo Sidney?

Luke Cothron is a border-line 5-star PF on Rivals. Very good pickup pickup, although probably not much better than recently departed Brandon Costner. Regardless, Cothron is the kind of recruit that helps build a program, take it too the next level. He and 5-star PG Ryan Harrow will both likely be 4-year college players, in a year or two the Wolfpack will be one bluechip recruit away from contending.

****

Also, has there been any word on Renardo Sidney's NCAA status? Part of me really thinks this will blow over and the NCAA will back down and let the kid play, but they seemed pretty serious about sticking it too him.

I mean, really, chances are that in this situation the parents are far more at fault than the kid, Sidney's just a big fat stupid goofball who plays basketball really well. He honestly seems dumb enough that he would't have even clued in that he would no longer be an amateur if his family was able to live in a $1 million home that was far beyond their means, simply because of his basketball ability.

Then again, the European option provides with alternatives. I mean, strictly speaking the benefits him and his family received aren't illegal... assuming that the mysterious "philanthropist(s)" who gave the Sidneys the means to live said lifestyle (ie. rich-ass high schools, agents, USC, etc., who the **** knows?) payed the taxes and such.

I don't know, terrible mess. Perfect example of how being stupid can **** up your life.

Hopefully the NCAA yields. I mean, considering the amount of money they make off of these kids' talents, it's all a little hypocritical, isn't it?

Last edited by A.M.G. : 10-09-2009 at 03:48 PM.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
Interminator
Banned
 
Interminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,444
Default Re: Luke Cothron to N.C. State/WTF is happening with Renardo Sidney?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M.G.
Luke Cothron is a border-line 5-star PF on Rivals. Very good pickup pickup, although probably not much better than recently departed Brandon Costner. Regardless, Cothron is the kind of recruit that helps build a program, take it too the next level. He and 5-star PG Ryan Harrow will both likely be 4-year college players, in a year or two the Wolfpack will be one bluechip recruit away from contending.

What are you talking about?

Luke Cothron probably wont even qualify to play at NC State, his eligibility concerns have been a reason teams have cooled off of him and there were rumors previously about him possibly playing overseas. Hes the Latavious Williams of the 2010 class, good player, but is a huge risk in recruiting because he may never get on campus.




Quote:
Also, has there been any word on Renardo Sidney's NCAA status? Part of me really thinks this will blow over and the NCAA will back down and let the kid play, but they seemed pretty serious about sticking it too him.

I mean, really, chances are that in this situation the parents are far more at fault than the kid, Sidney's just a big fat stupid goofball who plays basketball really well. He honestly seems dumb enough that he would't have even clued in that he would no longer be an amateur if his family was able to live in a $1 million home that was far beyond their means, simply because of his basketball ability.

Then again, the European option provides with alternatives. I mean, strictly speaking the benefits him and his family received aren't illegal... assuming that the mysterious "philanthropist(s)" who gave the Sidneys the means to live said lifestyle (ie. rich-ass high schools, agents, USC, etc., who the **** knows?) payed the taxes and such.

I don't know, terrible mess. Perfect example of how being stupid can **** up your life.

Hopefully the NCAA yields. I mean, considering the amount of money they make off of these kids' talents, it's all a little hypocritical, isn't it?

I think they ruled him ineligible until his father turns over papers explaining how he was able to live in LA. Chances are those papers will never be turned over, and Renardo signs in the NBDL for this season.(Its too late for the Europe option)
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
Looptroop
Learning to shoot layups
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 70
Default Re: Luke Cothron to N.C. State/WTF is happening with Renardo Sidney?

Okay, never posted about this before...BUT....

I was playing ball at the Hollywood Y over the summer, which is where I would go to lift and play (good courts and a good weight room). One day this dude shows up, and he's killing. Super strong and athletic, good jumper, and more importantly, carrying one of the signature Lebron James Fairfax High School backpacks. We get on the same team and run the court, so after the games we're talking and he introduces himself. The guy will remain nameless, but he was a fellow starter at Fairfax who had offers from Oregon State, Arizona State and committed to Bakersfield to be close to home. So, obviously, he's more than legit.

I get to asking him about Fairfax, and he says him and his friend who was there with him had been doing Renardo's homework, and that while he's a dumbass, he's still a nice guy. That's illegal, but are you surprised?

What's more surprising is his other revelation. Solomon Hill (Arizona) and Sidney had been taking money from agents, and that, while he was offered, he refused knowing his "mom would've kill [him]."

Our nameless baller said that Renardo knew the NCAA was going to find out about his misdeeds and that he intended to play in Europe. This was probably 2, maybe 2 and a half or 3, months ago, so if the deadline to play in Europe HAS passed, then it seems likely that he would play in the D-League.
Looptroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:22 PM   #4
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds
 
A.M.G.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: plane of pure scrumtrulesence
Posts: 3,468
Default Re: Luke Cothron to N.C. State/WTF is happening with Renardo Sidney?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looptroop
Okay, never posted about this before...BUT....

I was playing ball at the Hollywood Y over the summer, which is where I would go to lift and play (good courts and a good weight room). One day this dude shows up, and he's killing. Super strong and athletic, good jumper, and more importantly, carrying one of the signature Lebron James Fairfax High School backpacks. We get on the same team and run the court, so after the games we're talking and he introduces himself. The guy will remain nameless, but he was a fellow starter at Fairfax who had offers from Oregon State, Arizona State and committed to Bakersfield to be close to home. So, obviously, he's more than legit.

I get to asking him about Fairfax, and he says him and his friend who was there with him had been doing Renardo's homework, and that while he's a dumbass, he's still a nice guy. That's illegal, but are you surprised?

What's more surprising is his other revelation. Solomon Hill (Arizona) and Sidney had been taking money from agents, and that, while he was offered, he refused knowing his "mom would've kill [him]."

Our nameless baller said that Renardo knew the NCAA was going to find out about his misdeeds and that he intended to play in Europe. This was probably 2, maybe 2 and a half or 3, months ago, so if the deadline to play in Europe HAS passed, then it seems likely that he would play in the D-League.
A Fairfax player going to Bakersfield? As in California State University Bakersfield? Division II? Shouldn't be difficult to figure out who you spoke to. Not that it matters.

Seriously, what the **** is up with this kind of stuff? What "agents" are just handing out money? For what purpose? How do they cash in on it? Is it just for the opportunity to represent guys like Sidney or Hill if/when they become pros.

And who the hell stood to gain from financing the Sidney family's $1 million ($50,000+ a month rent) home in Cali? The Sidney's apparently couldn't have afforded it without "benefitting" from some outside party's "generosity", which would obviously have been a result of Sidney's basketball abilities, which would obviously make him NO LONGER AN AMATEUR. But who stood to gain from granting the Sidney's this boon? Were they that sure that the kid was going to be a big time pro and would reimburse them? Or was it USC wanting him to sign, or the high schools wanting him to come to Cali to play for them?

And if Renardo and his parents knew this would prevent him playing college ball, why the **** didn't he get his ass over to Europe on time?

I'm just confused by the whole situation.



Then again, I suspect you just made this story up, because as far as I can tell there's no Fairfax player playing for CSUB this upcoming season. Unless maybe you're talking about a Fairfax underclassman who has already signed with the Roadrunners, or by "Bakersfield" you don't mean CSUB? Unfortunately there's no Div2 version of Rivals that I'm aware of.

But it is a pretty elaborate story to just make up. I'm torn.




And Interminator, I was not aware of Cothron's eligibility problems. Is he likely to not qualify academically?
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:01 PM   #5
Looptroop
Learning to shoot layups
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 70
Default Re: Luke Cothron to N.C. State/WTF is happening with Renardo Sidney?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M.G.
A Fairfax player going to Bakersfield? As in California State University Bakersfield? Division II? Shouldn't be difficult to figure out who you spoke to. Not that it matters.

Then again, I suspect you just made this story up, because as far as I can tell there's no Fairfax player playing for CSUB this upcoming season. Unless maybe you're talking about a Fairfax underclassman who has already signed with the Roadrunners, or by "Bakersfield" you don't mean CSUB? Unfortunately there's no Div2 version of Rivals that I'm aware of.

But it is a pretty elaborate story to just make up. I'm torn.


CSU-Bakersfield, yes, they'll be moving up to the Big West this year or next. I'm not making this up, as I have no reason to care that much. The player I met was called by Fairfax coach Harvey Kitani "the city's most athletic player." The reason he said he was going to Bakersfield is that he wanted to be able to get a lot of PT early, and since they were moving up to D1 and are already a high D2, it wouldn't be a big drop off in competition.

Renardo Sidney seems like a *********, but I don't care enough to make up an elaborate story to slander him. I'm just relaying information, for all I know the guy was bull****ting about the agents/homework stuff, but he is most definitely who he said he was. It's not that hard to figure out who this guy is, there's a few videos of him on youtube, he's legit.

The incentive to paying relatively small sums to players like Hill and Sidney now is the dividends agents think they'll pay, like you surmised. If you give a top 10 prospect something like $10,000 and can guarantee their loyalty, you win in the long run on their pro contracts.

Remember, Solomon Hill wasn't exactly without controversy, twice switching his commitment (not illegal by any means, but possibly a sign of a larger problem). Sidney obviously had red flags everywhere, to the point that USC and UCLA rescinded their scholarship offers and ceased their recruitment.
Looptroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
Interminator
Banned
 
Interminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,444
Default Re: Luke Cothron to N.C. State/WTF is happening with Renardo Sidney?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M.G.
And Interminator, I was not aware of Cothron's eligibility problems. Is he likely to not qualify academically?
He more than likely wont, remember hes in North Carolina at another private prep school this year attempting to get his **** together although hes from Alabama. He had to leave the state because no school in Alabama could push him along like these prep schools in North Carolina have done for several years for basketball players.

Remember the Laurinburg Prep guys who went to Memphis? The Patterson School guys like Davon Jefferson?
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:26 AM   #7
TheGame414
Decent college freshman
 
TheGame414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Zookville
Posts: 2,758
Default Re: Luke Cothron to N.C. State/WTF is happening with Renardo Sidney?

Yeah, those North Carolina prep schools and their shadiness is enough* to make me not want Illinois to seriously be in the running for Quincy Miller.










*Almost.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds
 
A.M.G.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: plane of pure scrumtrulesence
Posts: 3,468
Default Re: Luke Cothron to N.C. State/WTF is happening with Renardo Sidney?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
He more than likely wont, remember hes in North Carolina at another private prep school this year attempting to get his **** together although hes from Alabama. He had to leave the state because no school in Alabama could push him along like these prep schools in North Carolina have done for several years for basketball players.

Remember the Laurinburg Prep guys who went to Memphis? The Patterson School guys like Davon Jefferson?
So he's just dumb, is what you're saying. Well, anyone expecting all athletes to be university-level students is naive. But everyone wants their college team to win (why does it matter that much again?), so sometimes you give full-academic scholarships to complete morons. It happens.

And I will find out who this Fairfax CSUB player is.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #9
Interminator
Banned
 
Interminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,444
Default Re: Luke Cothron to N.C. State/WTF is happening with Renardo Sidney?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M.G.
So he's just dumb, is what you're saying. Well, anyone expecting all athletes to be university-level students is naive. But everyone wants their college team to win (why does it matter that much again?), so sometimes you give full-academic scholarships to complete morons. It happens.

No, you probably dont understand how poorly educated he is. When you have to attend private collegiate prep schools for multiple years, its pretty much clear that you are likely behind your grade level in basic necessities like reading & math. Its common in inner city schools for students in 12th grade to graduate while reading on a 7th or 8th grade level, but if you're a high priority athlete with D1 college sports potential the only way to get on a path for college is to go to a college prep school that can take you along privately. North Carolina prep schools are notorious for taking in athletes who arent capable of even working at McDonalds, and putting them on a track to college. Karron Johnson is a great example.

And giving scholarships to complete morons gets you penalized in the NCAA now, if he is cleared & even with the help of tutors becomes academically ineligible or plays 4 years and isnt even close to graduating it comes back to the school and scholarships are reduced.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #10
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds
 
A.M.G.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: plane of pure scrumtrulesence
Posts: 3,468
Default Re: Luke Cothron to N.C. State/WTF is happening with Renardo Sidney?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
No, you probably dont understand how poorly educated he is. When you have to attend private collegiate prep schools for multiple years, its pretty much clear that you are likely behind your grade level in basic necessities like reading & math. Its common in inner city schools for students in 12th grade to graduate while reading on a 7th or 8th grade level, but if you're a high priority athlete with D1 college sports potential the only way to get on a path for college is to go to a college prep school that can take you along privately. North Carolina prep schools are notorious for taking in athletes who arent capable of even working at McDonalds, and putting them on a track to college. Karron Johnson is a great example.

And giving scholarships to complete morons gets you penalized in the NCAA now, if he is cleared & even with the help of tutors becomes academically ineligible or plays 4 years and isnt even close to graduating it comes back to the school and scholarships are reduced.
And you believe that Luke Cothron is THAT dumb, that they won't even be able to get him academically qualified to go to North Carolina State? What will happen to him then? Go to a school with lower academic standards? Try his hand at getting a pro contract overseas? Because he isn't an NBA player at this point.

It's really a shame that some of these kids are that dumb. What is it, that inner city schools don't teach them as well? An especially anti-intellectual youth culture? Because being a complete dumbass usually condemns you to a pretty miserable life.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:56 PM   #11
Interminator
Banned
 
Interminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,444
Default Re: Luke Cothron to N.C. State/WTF is happening with Renardo Sidney?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M.G.
And you believe that Luke Cothron is THAT dumb, that they won't even be able to get him academically qualified to go to North Carolina State? What will happen to him then? Go to a school with lower academic standards? Try his hand at getting a pro contract overseas? Because he isn't an NBA player at this point.

Getting him academically qualified in terms of GPA & his classes is one part of the issue but also getting him to the point where he can pass his SAT also. The NCAA clearinghouse is no joke when it comes to prep school kids.

Its not NC State that he wouldn't qualify for its always the NCAA clearinghouse that keeps some guys from being eligible to play. Im not sure what will happen with Luke Cothron, he could either go to a prep school/academy for another year and try again to be cleared or he could to a Juco like Karron Johnson is doing to get cleared by the NCAA.

He could even play in Europe if he wanted to, but hes not a big enough name or impactful of a player to get a contract in the top leagues. Maybe China like Latavious Williams did?



Quote:
It's really a shame that some of these kids are that dumb. What is it, that inner city schools don't teach them as well? An especially anti-intellectual youth culture? Because being a complete dumbass usually condemns you to a pretty miserable life.

The problem for dumbass athletes comes from home, typically they're raised by parents who did not care much about education and when they see potential in their kid to maybe be a professional athlete they would rather see them work on their game than read a book because athletics gets your more money sooner than an education does.

They say why have an education when I can become rich & successful off of being a basketball player? Reality doesnt set in until they're 40 with 5 kids, no job, and the money made in their career is running low.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #12
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds
 
A.M.G.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: plane of pure scrumtrulesence
Posts: 3,468
Default Re: Luke Cothron to N.C. State/WTF is happening with Renardo Sidney?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
Getting him academically qualified in terms of GPA & his classes is one part of the issue but also getting him to the point where he can pass his SAT also. The NCAA clearinghouse is no joke when it comes to prep school kids.

Its not NC State that he wouldn't qualify for its always the NCAA clearinghouse that keeps some guys from being eligible to play. Im not sure what will happen with Luke Cothron, he could either go to a prep school/academy for another year and try again to be cleared or he could to a Juco like Karron Johnson is doing to get cleared by the NCAA.

He could even play in Europe if he wanted to, but hes not a big enough name or impactful of a player to get a contract in the top leagues. Maybe China like Latavious Williams did?





The problem for dumbass athletes comes from home, typically they're raised by parents who did not care much about education and when they see potential in their kid to maybe be a professional athlete they would rather see them work on their game than read a book because athletics gets your more money sooner than an education does.

They say why have an education when I can become rich & successful off of being a basketball player? Reality doesnt set in until they're 40 with 5 kids, no job, and the money made in their career is running low.
Did Latavious Williams actually get a contract yet?

And yeah, that's pretty stupid about how young players and even their parents figure an education isn't valuable. I mean, in Cothron's case, he sure as **** isn't a surefire NBA talent, and high-level European teams ain't easy to get on either, so he had better get his schooling in order quick. He doesn't have the luxury of being a one'n'done or even a Brandon Jennings (one year over-seas then drafted to NBA). He will have a long road to the NBA no matter what, and probably won't get filthy rich.

You can kind of see it on a lot of these kids' faces on Rivals and such like "I'm the ****, I'm gonna be a pro pro millionaire biotches, what?" even when they're like not even close to being an NBA player. I just get the sense that sooooo many of them are not going to value the university education they are recieving. Ironically, this only really applies to the really talented ones, the ones who convince themselves they're going to be in the NBA and become a multi-millionaire. The less talented benchwarmers or players at lower ranked schools probably realize that the education they're recieving is their best shot at a good job and income, most of them aren't deluded into thinking they will be pros.

Anyways, you realize our little avy bet is still on even if Renardo Sidney can't play college basketball this season? Is there any chance Sidney enters the NBA draft after just not playing for a year, just training and such during that period? And do you think he would still get drafted NBA lottery in 2010 based on talent alone?
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:50 AM.




NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook


















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy