10-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Join Date: Jun 2006
Suns the Pacific division champs?!
We are always entertained by the NBA GM survey that comes out each preseason but this one gave us a special treat.
A GM picked the Suns to win the Pacific Division over the defending NBA champion Los Angeles Lakers. And it wasn't Steve Kerr! A GM can't vote for his own team or players. So mail your appreciation to Mitch Kupchak. That said, Boston got 100 percent of the Atlantic Divison vote so maybe Kupchak abstained, considering only 29 votes were tabulated in that category.
Here are some of the other areas that the Suns popped up:
* Steve Nash was picked as the best passer with 58.6 percent of the vote and best basketball IQ at 36.5 percent. He finished third for best point guard at 7.4 percent behind Chris Paul (77.8) and Deron Williams (14.8). Nash tied for third with Manu Ginobili (7.1 percent each) for best international player behind Dirk Nowitzki (64.3%) and Pau Gasol (10.7%). He also tied for third for most dangerous in the open floor, tying with Dwyane Wade (6.9% each) and trailing LeBron James (62.1%) and Paul (17.2%). Nash tied for fifth for best leader with Paul and Jaosn Kidd behind Chauncey Billups, Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett. Nash got a vote for best pure shooter but Ray Allen (57.1%) and Jason Kapono (17.9%) were the top two. Nash and Leandro Barobsa got a vote for fastest player with the ball but were behind Paul, Tony Parker, Aaron Brooks and Derrick Rose. Nash got a vote for player doing the most with the least, a category won by Mehmet Okur.
* Amare Stoudemire showed up on "also receiving votes" for best power forward, which Tim Duncan (58.6%) won. Kevin Garnett, Nowitizki,Gasol and Dwight Howard got votes too. Stoudemire also got a vote for best offensive rebounder. He tied for 46th with 2.2 offensive rebounds per game last season.
* Earl Clark was in "also receiving votes" for the rookie who is most likely to be a sleeper success.
* Shocking but true. No Suns player picked up a vote in the defensive categories.
* The Suns' Shaquille O'Neal trade tied for the second most surprising offseason move with Allen Iverson going to Memphis and Vince Carter's trade to Orlando (15.4% each). The Lakers' signing of Ron Artest was first (19.2%).
* No GM love for Alvin Gentry or his assistants but Grant Hill made "also receiving votes" for which player would make the best head coach. Derek Fisher (28%) won that with Lindsey Hunter, Chauncey Billups, Ray Allen and Shane Battier making the top five.
* The team made "also receiving votes" as the most fun team to watch but was behind the Lakers, Orlando, Denver, Cleveland, Golden State and New York.
* The Suns NEVER get votes for best home-court advantage. I believe that says something about a once-raucous arena.
Lets hope Mitch knows what he is talking about... and more importantly lets hope that we don't just have more wins then the rest of everyone else lets hope we're better than everyone else too
Last edited by DirtBag : 10-09-2009 at 08:56 PM.