Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 06-15-2006, 11:55 AM   #16
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
gotta love the hate he brings into each and every thread.

Correction

Gotta love the truth I bring to every thread...
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:59 AM   #17
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

you seriously have a one track mind.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:59 AM   #18
ACCBaller1403
Washed up streetballer

ACCBaller1403 has decent reputationACCBaller1403 has decent reputation

Quote:
So my dislike for Bird is what really led to my rooting for Magic....

That's not to say that's how everyone felt. Even my rascist grandfather loved Magic. He followed the NBA pretty closely and held Magic on a pedastal above everyone else, including Bird. He lives in Mississippi, a notoriously rascist area. There are certain players that transcend race, and it's sad that certain black players don't get the same respect certain white players do, but that's the way it is.

Jordan was one of those players who was not white or black, but just "the greatest player who ever lived". He was a hero to every boy growing up, black or white, or asian. He is known by everyone in the world. I can't possibly see how him being white gets him more endorsements, or more international acclaim.

Edit: I'm not saying he would be less popular, but that he would be exactly the same. There's nowhere else to go from the most recognizeable person, most loved athlete, etc. He's already at the top.
ACCBaller1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:08 PM   #19
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCBaller1403
That's not to say that's how everyone felt. Even my rascist grandfather loved Magic. He followed the NBA pretty closely and held Magic on a pedastal above everyone else, including Bird. He lives in Mississippi, a notoriously rascist area. There are certain players that transcend race, and it's sad that certain black players don't get the same respect certain white players do, but that's the way it is.

Jordan was one of those players who was not white or black, but just "the greatest player who ever lived". He was a hero to every boy growing up, black or white, or asian. He is known by everyone in the world. I can't possibly see how him being white gets him more endorsements, or more international acclaim.

Edit: I'm not saying he would be less popular, but that he would be exactly the same. There's nowhere else to go from the most recognizeable person, most loved athlete, etc. He's already at the top.

you missed the point in what I said...... the reason Magic & Bird were so popular was because they were opposites and they were big time rivals

neither one of them would have been as popular alone as they were together....the fact that they were both
*incredible players
*opposites
*rivals
thats what made them popular....

Magic was Showtime
Bird was blue collar

that situation in this country at that time made for great theatre

Quote:
you seriously have a one track mind.

cant help it......look where we live at...look at the title of this thread.....may as well speak the truth

Last edited by Rasheed1 : 06-15-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:15 PM   #20
ACCBaller1403
Washed up streetballer

ACCBaller1403 has decent reputationACCBaller1403 has decent reputation

They were linked but there's no way you can say that individually they wouldn't be loved. And my point was to say, that because they were linked, you had many people picking one over the other. Case in point, my rascist grandfather. Bird and Magic were so closely tied, you would think he would like Bird more, but he didn't. So maybe you missed my point.

It's because they were so tied together that people were forced to pick favorites. Magic was just as loved as Bird, maybe moreso.
ACCBaller1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:23 PM   #21
jan803
High school junior varsity star

jan803 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCBaller1403
They were linked but there's no way you can say that individually they wouldn't be loved. And my point was to say, that because they were linked, you had many people picking one over the other. Case in point, my rascist grandfather. Bird and Magic were so closely tied, you would think he would like Bird more, but he didn't. So maybe you missed my point.

It's because they were so tied together that people were forced to pick favorites. Magic was just as loved as Bird, maybe moreso.

i'm straying away from the topic but that era is referred to as 'the showtime era'. that says something on how people felt about magic...and the lakers for that matter.
jan803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:19 PM   #22
Knoe Itawl
Bringer of Light

Knoe Itawl has not been impressing people

You can't really get any bigger than Jordan is/was so I'd have to say I can't see a difference.
Knoe Itawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:36 PM   #23
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

sad to say but he might have lost some fans by being white. people like athletes and celebrities they can relate to, and race plays some part in that. even nba analysts do it. every white player gets compared to larry or west or pistol pete. it's stupid. you never here a guy like reddick get compared to say dell curry, even though that's probably what he'll be. instead it's got to be john barry or fred hoiberg. anyway you never know. he could have been compared to west or barry instead of dr. j and lost some people right there. or what if he was from wealth like lambeer. barkley always says that these days ecomomics are as a big a factor as skin color. you can't know, but it's hard to picture it having a positive influence. how many white guys did you know who ONLY watched the nba because of jordan?
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:46 PM   #24
astroboy2k5
Can barely lace up my sneakers

astroboy2k5 has an OK reputation so far

honestly, if Jordan was white it career would of played out the same. However, 1 or 2 of these things would of happened by know if he was white.

1) Own an NBA team.

2) President of the united states.
astroboy2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:10 PM   #25
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

DCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this board

take a guy like david becker. he's pretty well-known around the globe. but is that because of his talent or is it something else? i would guess it's the latter.

so what if jordan looked like david becker?

uhm... i don't really know if it would make a difference since jordan is already so friggin huge. dude goes to china and people cry in tears like they have just seen jesus.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:11 PM   #26
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this board

A White Mike would be as popular as Dirk. White kids would by wverything he made, but black kids wouldn't. Just like when you were/are in school, kids try to take up the black culture or hip-hop culture (thats why white kids runn around screaming n!gga)
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:13 PM   #27
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm
Why will being white make him less popular?...Try to elaborate please because I don't see it. Blacks are minorities, it only makes sense that if you belong to the majority, you'll be more popular.

You would think so, but you would be wrong. Your illogical "If..then" statements don't capture the nuances of the American population...

Would Tiger Woods would be MORE popular if he were white? How bout A LOT less popular. How bout so less popular you wouldn't really care about him at all, just like you don't care about the other great white golfers out there.

If Pete Sampras were black, he'd be the most celebrated athlete ever. Unfortunately for him, he's a boring white guy.

Still think being white in sports is better? We love black people. Can't get enough of them.

Last edited by bagelred : 06-15-2006 at 03:19 PM.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:18 PM   #28
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Still think being white in sports is better?

nobody said it was better....just that it would draw more hype....
Old 06-15-2006, 03:22 PM   #29
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
nobody said it was better....just that it would draw more hype....

Nah...look at Dirk Nowitski...nobody cares about him

People love underdogs. Black people are the "underdogs" because they are a minority in our society. So people relate to them more and want to see them do well in any sport and in life. Who cares about another white guy being a success? I sure don't.

Last edited by bagelred : 06-15-2006 at 03:24 PM.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:25 PM   #30
dgbigballer9329
Great young streetballer

dgbigballer9329 has an OK reputation so far

It's a two way street........white people would overall possibly like him a little bit more, for instance middle-aged people would praise him for being a fine citizen/speaking eloquently, other BS.

But overall I think it's clear he would be less popular overall. He's already as famous as it possibly gets. So what fans is he gonna gain? On the other hand, i'm sorry but this is true.........black people don't look up to great white athletes. It's true, generally. Granted, there's far less of them ESPECIALLY in basketball. But Spike Lee puts it best in his book how his neighborhood practically got in an uproar when someone proclaimed Larry Bird the best in the game. I think even in the movie, the follow up line is "Best? Well, he's the ugliest motherf*cker in the game." He even went to the courts and asked everyone on the court who's better, him or Magic......all Magic. Think race didn't play a part of that? Even someone like Babe Ruth, how much do you hear about Babe Ruth possibly having black genetics in him?

Granted what I said above is very stereotypical but like Rasheed said, how can you NOT be when discussing this subject? Black kids aren't gonna look up to a great white athlete like a white kid is gonna look up to a great black athlete.......history has proven that.
dgbigballer9329 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: