Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 06-15-2006, 03:48 PM   #46
jan803
High school junior varsity star

jan803 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
Yes, being popular isn't as simple as black and white (no pun intended). But race helps. If Sampras had same boring persona, but just happen to be black, his popularity would be a lot higher in general.

Look at the Williams sisters? We LOVE them (or maybe loved them). They great AND black in a white sport. And they are SISTERS. Oh, we adore them...who wouldn't?

women's tennis seems to have a different critia...

the reason why the williams sister became popular was because domination. those girls and particular serena was just unbeatable for awhile. this seems to happen more in women's sports where there's one dominant player.

but then there was anna kornikova.

girl didn't win A THING. but since she was so beautiful she got lots of publicity, a great contract from nike while winning nada. in women's sports, looks can have as much as effect on a player's popularity as well as talent. that maria sharvapova (sp?) at least won tournaments...even thought that grunting she does on the court is annoying as H@LL!

serena was an amazon woman compared to the rest. she was WAY stronger than the rest of the women on tour.
jan803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:50 PM   #47
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
yeah thats why henry aaron recieved death threats when he was about to pass Babe Ruth...

you've gotta be kiddin me saying people relate to blacks and want to see them do well in any sport

they sure accepted Tiger woods when he won his first masters...Fuzzy zeller even offered to serve him chicken at the dinner.......
too true sheed! no if mj lost fans due to being white it would probably be the opposite... some white fans didn't embrace pistol pete because his game was too "black"... it's possible that some racist white fans would see this upstart being better than bird by playing with a dr. j / david thompson style and not be able to handle it...
Old 06-15-2006, 03:53 PM   #48
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
President of the united states

why the fukk isn't wayne gretzky PM yet??? lol

anyways rasheed, stop picking and choosing...you do that too much.

of course a lot of people hated hank aaron....but not the majority. just like some white people hate MJ cause he's black and just like some black people can't stand nash winning back-to-back MVP's and nowitzki dominating the playoffs (just like you. not a problem. it's just human).

the fact is THE MAJORITY don't have these views or at least are able to see past them. so stop being so subject with lines like henry aaron recieving death threats and trying to making it seem like THE MAJORITY of white people hated him.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:58 PM   #49
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan803
women's tennis seems to have a different critia...

the reason why the williams sister became popular was because domination. those girls and particular serena was just unbeatable for awhile. this seems to happen more in women's sports where there's one dominant player.

but then there was anna kornikova.

girl didn't win A THING. but since she was so beautiful she got lots of publicity, a great contract from nike while winning nada. in women's sports, looks can have as much as effect on a player's popularity as well as talent. that maria sharvapova (sp?) at least won tournaments...even thought that grunting she does on the court is annoying as H@LL!

serena was an amazon woman compared to the rest. she was WAY stronger than the rest of the women on tour.

But we like them more cause they are black in a white person sport. It's true...it's true....
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:58 PM   #50
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
OMG

If you don't think anything has changed in 30 years, well you are just not paying attention.

Oh Im paying close attention and Oprah nor Cosby were the first black people on TV.....Black people were on TV in the 70s (jeffersons,Good Times, Sanford & Son, All in the Family)...Secondly, seeing people of color on TV doesnt mean too much when we are talkin about a country as poisoned by racism as this country is.....Didnt Dennis Byrd get dragged behind a pickup truck until his head popped off? that happened more recently than 1974.......Amadou Diallo got his ass blown away by overanxious cops with 41 bullets..because he reached for his wallet..that was more recently than 1974.....So Oprah and Corsby dont really count for much when we are talking about change of this sort

Quote:
Also, Tiger got a gazillion dollars because he's the best golfer in the world AND AND AND happens to be black (and asian). If Tiger were white, no one would care about him at all. Would you? would you even know who he was? He would be lumped in with the Duvalls, and the Dalys and the other rich white pristine golfers we care nothing about....we all know that to be true....

I dont care about tiger now, iprolly wouldnt no matter what his race was........

But dont get it twisted....if Tiger wasnt the best by a good margin, nobody would give a damn about his blackness/Asianality
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:59 PM   #51
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default .

Quote:
Rasheed1 loves discussions concerning race.

he can't live without these talks.

he needs to let every white person alive know how much they have wronged black people or we'll never learn from our mistakes....although being eastern european i'm not sure my grandfather ever saw a black person until he moved here in the 50's.....we should be apologizing to the jews in fact....heck, the stupid elitist soviets should be aplogizing to me! we were treated like slaves too...but wait, i'm not black so i don't get to cry about it.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:59 PM   #52
jan803

Quote:
they sure accepted Tiger woods when he won his first masters...Fuzzy zeller even offered to serve him chicken at the dinner.......

fuzzy was an idiot for that comment. came off as a$$-backward elitest golfer. he was very jeoleouls of tiger and to tiger's credit he shut off all his critics by just taking the golf world by the balls...

and since he's the most popular athelete, it's obvious that people have more than gotten over 'offering him chicken'. people like winners. tiger's a winner. tiger is doing things that only one other player...nickalus has done and he's doing these things at a much faster pace than nickalus did.

he's not the number 1 golfer because of his color. he's the number 1 golfer because he worked his a$$ harder than the rest of the field and forced everyone to step up their collective games. the pba knows they should 'kiss his feet' because of the money and exposure the tour gets now wasn't sure as h@ll wasn't because of fuzzy zoeller.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:00 PM   #53
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation
Default ...

You're kidding yourself if you think athletic ability has nothing to do with genetics. I can't believe you just typed that, really.

Quote:
why isn't every black person more atheletic than every white person?

Exceptions. Who's the most athletic white guy you've ever come across while watching/playing basketball? Now go down to a local run and you'll see blacks who match that athletic ability.. a dime a dozen if you will.

Have you ever seen a white guy move as fluidly as Micheal? I know the answer. As far as I'm concerned it's not being racist if you come up with facts. It's a fact that genetics play a huge roll in what your child receives athletically.

If you're father is a 300-pound coach patatoe, and you're mother is a 250 pound watress, do you really think that kid will have a 40 inch vertical, 4.4 speed? It has everything to do with genetics bud.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:03 PM   #54
Jerm
I'm trying to improve myself. I'm the new, better Jerm

Jerm has an OK reputation so far

So, is it a fact that whites are more intelligent than blacks?...Yes or No.
Jerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:04 PM   #55
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation
Default ...

I really don't know. Has there been studies to prove a yes or no answer?
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:06 PM   #56
Unregistered

In Jordan's case I would say less
Old 06-15-2006, 04:07 PM   #57
jan803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
Oh Im paying close attention and Oprah nor Cosby were the first black people on TV.....Black people were on TV in the 70s (jeffersons,Good Times, Sanford & Son, All in the Family)...Secondly, seeing people of color on TV doesnt mean too much when we are talkin about a country as poisoned by racism as this country is.....Didnt Dennis Byrd get dragged behind a pickup truck until his head popped off? that happened more recently than 1974.......Amadou Diallo got his ass blown away by overanxious cops with 41 bullets..because he reached for his wallet..that was more recently than 1974.....So Oprah and Corsby dont really count for much when we are talking about change of this sort

I dont care about tiger now, iprolly wouldnt no matter what his race was........

But dont get it twisted....if Tiger wasnt the best by a good margin, nobody would give a damn about his blackness/Asianality

sheed...

bill cosby WAS the first black man, in fact, black actor on tv. he did i spy in the 60's with robert culp. i don't remember how long it lasted, but was considered a break through thing thing at the time and the show was received well.

and you talk about isolated incidents when you talk of these racial things.

oprah and cosby show that there's been progress in that there can be popular, and rather powerful, influencial black people not just in american, but global society since people all around the world have heard of both of them.

now we as a global culture let alone america culture still have a long way to go to get past looking at a person's skin color (as this thread proves) but strides are made. they just aren't made fast enough for ANYONE to accept.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:08 PM   #58
Jerm
I'm trying to improve myself. I'm the new, better Jerm

Jerm has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
I really don't know. Has there been studies to prove a yes or no answer?

Haha..there has been more concrete studies than your fast twitch arguments to support the hypothesis that whites are more intelligent than blacks but take that for what you will.

By the way, American blacks aren't more atheletic because they were slaves for a 100 years. It takes more than a 100 years for that sort of change to develop.
Jerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:08 PM   #59
StarJordan
Irrational Jordan superfan

StarJordan is considered somewhat coolStarJordan is considered somewhat cool

The politically correct answer is to say his race didn't matter. But of course it did/does to a lot of people.

Right now he gets grouped in with Ruth, Ali etc. But if Jordan were Irish, it'd be different. He would be different kind of icon. He would be a walking GOD in most every state in America. LITERALLY at 6'6 the tallest, leanest, meanest icon in American history. He'd be bigger than John Wayne, bigger than Elvis, bigger than anybody.
StarJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:09 PM   #60
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
anyways rasheed, stop picking and choosing...you do that too much.

of course a lot of people hated hank aaron....but not the majority. just like some white people hate MJ cause he's black and just like some black people can't stand nash winning back-to-back MVP's and nowitzki dominating the playoffs (just like you. not a problem. it's just human).

stop picking and choosing? :confused:

Should I skip the parts that 'hippos' doesnt like to hear about? Would that make you feel better?

Quote:
the fact is THE MAJORITY don't have these views or at least are able to see past them. so stop being so subject with lines like henry aaron recieving death threats and trying to making it seem like THE MAJORITY of white people hated him.

I never said a majority of white people hated Aaron...I wouldnt know the exact number, nobody would....But I do know the history of what happened...the death threats and racial slurs broke Aaron's heart... and talks alot about how painful the whole thing was...

If you wanna put your head in the sand and pretend it isnt so, then thats your business...not mine

Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: