Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-15-2006, 07:41 PM   #1
A Roc 23
Back Better Then Ever

Default Andrea Bargnani - What's the deal?

Andrea Bargnani:

7-0, 250lbs. 21 years of age.

What does everyone think about Bargnani as a possible #1 pick? I like his game, but I'm still undecided on who I want to choose. Draft measurements have him taller and heavier then LaMarcus. He is obviously a PF and not a C, but are we so sure that LaMarcus will be effective at C? He is a decent rebounder and a decent shot blocker, but he is not amazing at either.

My question to all you Raptor fans is; "how to do you feel about a Bosh, Villa, Bargnani front court?" Is it really that less effective then a LA, CB, CV lineup? I can see a lot of problems on defense, but I also see the Raptors running teams right out of the building. Bosh is a decent rebounder, Villa is decent. They will probably net you 16-17 rebounds a game. I'm sure that Bargnani will get more rebounds than Hoffa or Pape.

"Come on Raptor fans . . . you know you want the next Dirk!"
A Roc 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:46 PM   #2
Rapsfan4life
Great young streetballer

Bargnani would be a great addition to the front court. His range from the video i have seen of him is decent for a 7 footer. Yes we are excited cause they compare him to Dirk. I think we should be careful picking a player out of Europe because of the different quality of competition. With Darko still in our minds, we should pick the most talented player first. Lets not go and draft by position, last time we did that we got Araujo. We should get the best player, maybe Bargnani if B.C thinks so, keeping in mind we have cap space to sign a big. B.C said he that he may not look for a traditional center. I trust B.C in his decision making.

Last edited by Rapsfan4life : 06-15-2006 at 07:54 PM.
Rapsfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:17 PM   #3
Bosh4life
Local High School Star

Default ...

"last time we did that we got Araujo."

And with those words said any Raptor fan should be very scared of this happening again, but you also have to take into consideration that bargnani has a much more tremendous ammount of potentiol then aroujo did.
Bosh4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:20 PM   #4
Rapsfan4life
Great young streetballer

yup i agree Bargnani is a much more attractive prospect to draft, we will see who B.C will draft, but the rumors are rapid that they will pick him, it may be a smokescreen
Rapsfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:09 AM   #5
Salami_N_Cheese
Can barely lace up my sneakers

The reasons why I think Bargani will not be an arauio is because:
1.Colangelo scouted him for a couple years now
2.Babcock became GM right around this time before the draft (maybe a bit earlier), no time to scout. The Draft night conversation was probably:
McKloskey: I think he is good.
Babcock: Okay we'll take him.
3. Araujo played in the Mountain West....although he had very nice numbers it was not a very strong conferance and he was on a pretty weak team.
4. Bargani is playing at the most elite level outside the NBA on a very good team. In a league where young players rarely get a lot of playing time, he is average a bit over 20 minutes. He is also putting up like 11 ppg and 5 rpg in that time
5. Rob Babcock is Rob Babcock
6. Bryan Colangelo is Bryan Colangelo

Don't expect to hear Bargani's name when David Stern heads up to the podium for the first pick. You'll hear Alridge or Morrison....than after a few picks David Stern will go up to the Podium and say "We have a trade to announce." Colangelo always gets the most value out of something, so if he can get two players with the #1 pick (a veteran and the guy he wants) he'll do it. Just my gut feeling.
Salami_N_Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:07 PM   #6
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

Default eeez

bargnani's official measurements:
7'0 in socks, 7'1.5 in shoes
249 lbs
standing reach of 9'2 <--- thats big
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:42 PM   #7
supercybergeek
I airball my layups

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LnST...earch=bargnani

bargnani footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2C0E...earch=lamarcus

Aldridge footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCso8...rch=rudy%20gay

rudy gay footage
supercybergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:43 PM   #8
J Miles 23
I hit open layups

as much as i think he will be good ..the raptors have had bad luck with picking white players in the draft
J Miles 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:14 PM   #9
A Roc 23
Back Better Then Ever

DoubleTech you inspired this thread in a way. I saw you post those measurements in another thread and it got me thinking about how much bigger then Aldridge Andrea is. They are both pretty skinny, but Bargnani is almost 7'2'' and 15 pounds heavier. He would immediately become the tallest guy on the team (tied with Woods). He is a decent rebounder in Europe going against grown men. I'm sure he will workout a lot during the summer . . .

Who's to say he won't gain 10 pounds of muscle end up 7'2'' 260 by the time the season comes around. Huge size and obvious overall talent might be to hard to pass up on for a skinny PF that isn't amped to play in Canada or a diabetic SF that would move Charlie to PF and Bosh to C.
A Roc 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:26 PM   #10
Zalendar
Decent playground baller

I'm starting to lean more towards wanting to draft Bargnani than any other player in the draft. I've heard a lot of really good things about the top 5 or 6 prospects, but I'm really liking what I hear about Bargnani.

I would not be disapointed if Raps drafted him.
Zalendar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:30 PM   #11
The Captain
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Miles 23
as much as i think he will be good ..the raptors have had bad luck with picking white players in the draft

.......well, there you go. a facts a fact. thanks J miles 23! ....who would be the blackest then, we'll have to go with him.
The Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:12 PM   #12
Phesto
Fire BC! Hire GG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Captain
.......well, there you go. a facts a fact. thanks J miles 23! ....who would be the blackest then, we'll have to go with him.

Mockery quoted for truth.
Phesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:21 PM   #13
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

Cool

bargnani was not this heavy last year... his coach said he spent a lot of time in the weight room working on his lower body...

interesting how gay and aldridge have fallen out of the #1 consideration, while morrison and bargnani have risen to the top.

bottom line: their skills send chills.

im hoping bargnani can ATLEAST play a bit of D at the center position. he just has to do like dampier and diop in the playoffs... put your hands up, stay in front of your man and don't foul. 9'2 standing reach is rediculous. should be interesting watching other centers around the league trying to keep up with andrea on the perimeter. with bargnani, toronto will become a matchup nightmare for other teams... we just need a couple of good defensive players on the wings and more emphasis on teaching team D from our coaches.

soon my raptor brothers... soon. *evil laugh*
Old 06-16-2006, 05:52 PM   #14
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

Exclamation and another thing

bargnani put up 16 and 5 in 26 minutes vs some team in the italian league finals...

remember our boy uros slokar who impressed in the summerleague last year?

he got 3 points in 10 minutes... didn't do so great.

translation: bargnani >>>>>>>>>>> slokar... and i was semi-excited about one day having slokar on our team.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: