Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 10-27-2009, 12:09 AM   #61
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation
Default Re: Top 5 WRs in the NFL...

Ability doesn't mean you're better. I can't begin to name the players (because there are so many) who have had great ability as far as measurables go but are inferior players on gameday to those less physically talented.

Nobody argues that Johnson is faster & bigger than Fitzgerald, but Fitzgerald can get open against any coverage, and when he's covered...he's still not because his ball skills and leaping ability/hands combo is pretty much second to none.

Fitz also had the best post-seaon ever for a wideout, and in a time where people value post-season production more than ever, he has that going for him.

At this point I'd say Johnson is a bigger deep threat in that he has the ability to get behind coverage more than Fitzgerald does, but you can't leave Fitz one on one on deep stuff either because he'll simply make a play on the ball when it's in the air, as we''ve seen time and time and time again.

Fitzgerald is better at reading zones and finding holes, has better hands, runs better routes and is as much a leader as any wideout in the league.

Johnson has the "oh my god look how big and fast and tall this guy is!" thing going for him, and he is a GREAT player, but Fitzgerald has earned his stripes and should be regarded as arguably the top wideout in the game.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:15 AM   #62
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Larry sucks at getting open...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13nSZ... 7E4EA&index=0

that is why they call him "LEAPING LARRY"...

dude always has to jump over the 5 DBs that are glued to him...
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #63
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

You don't "suck" at getting open and catch 100 balls in four of the last five years (assuming he gets there this year, which he probably will)

Larry has had ZERO jump balls this year that were receptions, so you're pretty much dead wrong.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #64
RedZiggyZag
1 week avy bet.....

RedZiggyZag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRedZiggyZag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRedZiggyZag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRedZiggyZag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRedZiggyZag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRedZiggyZag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRedZiggyZag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRedZiggyZag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
Larry sucks at getting open...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13nSZ... 7E4EA&index=0

that is why they call him "LEAPING LARRY"...

dude always has to jump over the 5 DBs that are glued to him...
Pretty true, but he doesn't necessairly suck at it. Maybe not as good as Moss, Fitz, Smith (2005 Panthers.), etc. But he can get at open, just not as easy and as smooth as the more physically gifted guys in the league. I still want to favor Johnson over Fitz, they are both great as far as WR goes, but Johnson's athletic ability makes me favor him over Fitz.
RedZiggyZag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #65
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation

Fitz can do just about anything guys like Smith, TO, and Moss can do, only he has to do it the hard way. Sh!tty receivers don't have 100 receptions and 1400 yards consistently the last 3-4 years.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #66
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

You guys are being stupid. Larry in no way shape or form "sucks" at getting open. If he sucked at getting open, teams would single cover him and all his receptions would come on jump balls - but that isn't the case, he hasn't had one of those receptions all year if I am remembering correctly, and is still on pace for over 100 receptions and double digit scores.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:13 PM   #67
FinalCountdown

1. Fitz
2. Johnson
3. Moss
4. Wayne
5. Calvin
Old 10-27-2009, 06:18 PM   #68
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine

You guys are being stupid. Larry in no way shape or form "sucks" at getting open. If he sucked at getting open, teams would single cover him and all his receptions would come on jump balls - but that isn't the case, he hasn't had one of those receptions all year if I am remembering correctly, and is still on pace for over 100 receptions and double digit scores.
yeah, I worded that a bit harsh...

I was just trying to point out that it isn't his greatest attribute...

jumping up and being able to grab anything a QB lofts his way it what makes him Larry... "Larry"...not his crazy break away moves...that is all
Old 10-28-2009, 11:29 PM   #69
Ol Dirty Bastard
Local High School Star

Ol Dirty Bastard has not been impressing people

Santonio Holmes is legit
Ol Dirty Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:34 AM   #70
Detroit32
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Detroit32 has an OK reputation so far

1. Andre Johnson
2. Larry Fitz
3. Calvin Johnson
4. Randy Moss
5. Reggie Wayne
Detroit32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:03 AM   #71
RedZiggyZag
1 week avy bet.....

RedZiggyZag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRedZiggyZag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRedZiggyZag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRedZiggyZag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRedZiggyZag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRedZiggyZag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRedZiggyZag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRedZiggyZag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine

Never said "Sucked" more like not as good as the other elite WRs mainly the freak of nature ones. Anyways...Why don't you feel Wayne is a Top 5 WR in the NFL, I mean he's amazing at running his route, he has above average explosiveness and quickness. He's owning it up being the new #1 option at the WR position. I don't see how he can't be a Top 5 WR.
RedZiggyZag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:10 AM   #72
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Does anyone think that Sidney Rice has a chance to be a Top-5 wideout in the NFL some day??? He's got great size, athleticism, and coordination.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:20 AM   #73
Wizardly Cool

Miles Austin...

Yea B*tch

I said it.

Miles Mother F*ckin' Austin.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:24 AM   #74
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
Does anyone think that Sidney Rice has a chance to be a Top-5 wideout in the NFL some day??? He's got great size, athleticism, and coordination.
Positives

Not only is Rice among the top prospects in production over the past two years, he is also one of the tallest at 6-foot-3, which is a coveted trait for a receiver. His height does allow him an advantage in jump-ball situations, but height is not the only trait needed to catch those balls. Timing is also important, which Rice is not as good at but can get better with experience. At 6-foot-3, Rice's 39 1/2-inch vertical jump is outstanding, thought he could make a better play for a jump ball.

Rice shows aggressiveness and dedication on the field and he's able to challenge defenders in position and separation. He has good awareness of the ball, which combined with excellent arm and hand movement, gives him an advantage adjusting to passes. Rice does a phenomenal job at working the sidelines.

Perhaps the most-recognized aspect of Rice's game would be how sticky his hands are. Rarely dropping a pass, Rice usually comes down with anything he puts his mitts on.

One aspect not considered too often for wide receivers in comparison to a running back, for example, is the ability to secure the ball. Rice does a great job at hanging onto the rock in tight situations.

Negatives

Although tall, he is thin, weighing in at just over 200 pounds. This could cause him problems coming off the line against the more physical defenders he'll run into in the NFL. Rice might also have difficulty playing across the middle, getting knocked off his route and disrupting play timing, which will limit his versatility. Rice has a higher center of gravity which could subject him to some rough hits and hard spills. In addition, tall and thin receivers tend have had a tougher time hanging on to the ball. Adding bulk to his frame would help much of this and is a definite possibility as Rice enters NFL camps and grows older.

Rice's 40-time does not compare as well with some of the other receivers mentioned earlier at 4.51 seconds. That by no means is poor and is also not a measure of game speed. It is also not indicative of NFL success where several athletic and mental factors are necessary. Despite that, it's one factor that keeps Rice further down on the ranking lists.

http://www.kffl.com/article.php/67501/160

wow at that vertical...

and yeah, i have noticed his "sticky hands"...

I bet he could squeeze in at #5 some time down the road...

I wonder if Favre will return yet another year after this...probably
Old 10-30-2009, 12:28 AM   #75
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
[

and yeah, i have noticed his "sticky hands"...

I bet he could squeeze in at #5 some time down the road...

I wonder if Favre will return yet another year after this...probably

Thanks for the breakdown. Much appreciated.

As for Favre, it all depends on his views on how good the Vikes' squad is, and his health.

If he can be healthy, the Vikings do well this season (i.e. win a playoff game), either keep the same team or add another piece to the defensive backfield, and he can stay healthy and perform at a hight level, I don't see why he wouldn't come back.

He's under contract for next year at over $8 million, so if he can play, he'll be playing for the Vikes.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: