Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 10-26-2006, 11:31 AM   #1
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Laker Roster Notes...

Interesting... these comments are consistent with what we have been talking about on the board.

----------------------------------------------------------------
From InsideHoops.

"The Lakers currently have 18 players on their roster, three more than the league allows. They must pare down to 15 by Monday afternoon, although they are expected to start trimming today despite their influx of injuries. Any players kept after today begin drawing pro-rated portions of their salaries, even if their contracts are not guaranteed." Los Angeles Times

"The Lakers have three non-guaranteed players on their roster: rookie J.R. Pinnock and second-year players Devin Green and Von Wafer. "They're three young players that have promise and it's obvious we can't keep them all," General Manager Mitch Kupchak said. "Regardless of what happens, they all have a future in pro basketball. Some guys you bring to camp, they're what we call camp fodder to fill out your roster. These guys are legitimate NBA prospects." Los Angeles Times

"Veteran guard Aaron McKie and his guaranteed $2.5-million salary will stay, even though he played only 14 games last season because of a quadriceps tendon injury. McKie was experiencing a good training camp until injuring his back last week." Los Angeles Times
SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:45 AM   #2
Kobe4MVP
High School JV MVP

Kobe4MVP has an OK reputation so far

Keeping McKie is a huge mistake. He's shown he doesn't have the body to contribute on the floor anymore, wasting a roster space on him is ridiculous when we have 3 healthy guys who could step in for cheap!
Kobe4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:01 PM   #3
schyza
High School Starter

schyza has decent reputationschyza has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe4MVP
Keeping McKie is a huge mistake. He's shown he doesn't have the body to contribute on the floor anymore, wasting a roster space on him is ridiculous when we have 3 healthy guys who could step in for cheap!

I hate to disagree with you but the young guys wouldn’t come cheap when you factor in we would have to wave McKie meaning we would have to pay him and then we would have to pay one of the young guys. Don’t get me wrong I would love have Green or Von stay Pinnock did nothing but frustrate me holding the ball to long trying to do too much basally trying to play at a level way out of his reach. But if were stuck paying Aaron 2+ mill we might as well keep him and hope he stays healthier than last year. We can’t forget that not long ago he was the 6th man of the year now I am not expecting him to ever perform at that level again but I think if healthy he can contribute more on and off the court then the young guys IMHO.
schyza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:11 PM   #4
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The one plus I have heard about McKee is apparently, he's really good with the younger team members off the court. He apparently shows some veteran experience and leadership, according to the few things I have read.

I don't know otherwise, but I kinda think they should get something for him.
SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:31 PM   #5
Kobe4MVP
High School JV MVP

Kobe4MVP has an OK reputation so far

Yeah his off-court leadership I'm sure has been great, I've read the same reports, but it seems pretty clear he's not going to be healthy enough to actually play any games so they need to get him into retirement talks immediately! It's true we'd still have to pay his salary if we buy him out, but Green would play for $700k or whatever the minimum is, which isn't that much more for a body that you could actually put on the court and contribute.
Kobe4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:35 PM   #6
mariodeathgrip
incoherent!!!!

mariodeathgrip is considered somewhat coolmariodeathgrip is considered somewhat coolmariodeathgrip is considered somewhat cool

One thing I like about keeping Mckie is we can throw him in a trade! You think no one would take him, well I say that's Wrong Mckie is getting 2.5 mil.
And if a team would like to get that off their cap next year it would be acceptable to trade for him keep or waive, that's 2.5mil off next year.
Ex. My trade idea of trading Cook and Mckie to the Suns for Banks.
I know some of you don't want to trade Cooks even though he lacks in D' but is a great shooter, and sending him to the Suns may be a bad idea. But in this trade we get rid of Mckie with out paying his $ for nothing. And we bring in a young talent in Banks. Phil wanted Banks a feels he would have been a good fit on the team. Banks also wanted to be a Laker. The Laker's were the top team on his list to sign with this year, but the signing of Vlad left no $ for Banks. He ended up signing with the Suns for 4.2 mil to be the Back up for Nash. I really hate that because it gives them a Defensive Pt guard who can score. He has a OK outside game but is good at driving to the basket.
This trade also gives us that defensive Pt guard we need. That is the only position we really need improvement on. Giving us Parker Farmar and Banks at Pt. and also opening up a spot for say maybe Green, or who ever the Laker's want to pick up.
The Suns get Cook guy who can play both the C and PF position who can shoot, but lacks D' but that's nothing new to them. And also in Mckie to keep or waive, which means 2.5 mil off for next year to help them a little to keep under the Cap. To me I believe this is a win win situation for both teams.
But this is just one trade option I love, but there also others that may make you guys more comfortable. I just think now that Vlad on the team Cook is expendable and we could use another Pt guard to focus on D' Banks is young and could be on the team a long time. And also it makes use of Mckie contract. The Suns have shown interest in Cook and know the Laker's are in Banks and Banks have shown interests in the Laker's. I wouldn't be surprise if this trade go down before trade deadline at least.
mariodeathgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:17 PM   #7
netdoc
High School Varsity 6th Man

netdoc has an OK reputation so far
Default McKie

Think of it this way - we keep McKie in the last year of his contract. If things go wrong, mid season L.A. can make a trade with another team. Let's throw Mihm in the mix - Mihm alone could command 5+ mil back in salary - chump change for some of the mid to lower tier talent. But they throw McKie in the mix, you have 8.5 + to command back in salary. That gives us another mid tier talent without giving much up. Plus, they can fill the roster spot with Green, Pinnok or Wafer (whomever they think is worth it).

I know his salary is unbelievable, but what about Grant Hill? Since he is in the last year of his deal, I believe they can renegotiate his deal. Grant could fill the "point forward" spot and let Odom slide down when he comes off the bench. A nice 1-2-3 combo for playoff time wouldn't you think?

Another crazy idea/rumor :)
netdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:45 AM   #8
magicmanfan
Local High School Star

magicmanfan is a pretty well-respected postermagicmanfan is a pretty well-respected postermagicmanfan is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Grant Hill??

Wow, that's quite a suggestion. Has Grant ever talked about
being a Laker?

Grant's making $15+ mil this year...not easy to trade for him
until next summer. Any suggestions????
magicmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:54 PM   #9
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmanfan
Wow, that's quite a suggestion. Has Grant ever talked about
being a Laker?

Grant's making $15+ mil this year...not easy to trade for him
until next summer. Any suggestions????

lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:55 PM   #10
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

You know what folks, this isn't such a bad keep with Mckie because even if we kept green, how much PT would he get? probably the last 30 seconds. But when Mckie is feeling ok phil would give him significant minutes and he might cme back and give us something.

This wont hurt us or affect our chances of making the playoffs at all.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 04:02 PM   #11
*LAKERS_3_PETE*
Local High School Star

*LAKERS_3_PETE* has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
You know what folks, this isn't such a bad keep with Mckie because even if we kept green, how much PT would he get? probably the last 30 seconds. But when Mckie is feeling ok phil would give him significant minutes and he might cme back and give us something.

This wont hurt us or affect our chances of making the playoffs at all.

There's a Big IF involved speculating on McKie's health but IF he does somehow find a way to stay healthy he certainly has the right tools that caters to Phils liking, a big veteran physical guard that can play the D.
*LAKERS_3_PETE* is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: