Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Denver Nuggets Forum

Denver Nuggets Forum Denver Nuggets forum - Denver Nuggets message board

Old 08-01-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
el gringos
Great college starter

Default get another pg

I believe the nugs need another pg, I think lawson is a good 3rd pg most seem happy w him as the 2nd, but for sure nugs need another gaurd right?

The time would have been right imo to go for a sessions or jarret jack w prices being so low this offseason, but understanding that its very unlikely that big money will be spent on a pg who is the answer for that 2nd/3rd pg?

I really like gabe pruitt as he has size athletisim and shooting, I think hed be a great fit- also roko ukic should be up for trade from raptors or even maybe mike taylor could be picked up

Do we need a gaurd? How and who would you look to? if your the gm you can't give karl ac again because you know karl can't handle ac's ability- I fear both ac and lawson playing major minutes and a whole lot of 2 gaurd lineups
el gringos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Default Re: get another pg

I'd like to see how Lawson does first because he hasn't even played a NBA game yet. But he stayed in college for a while and I believe he should be able to take on the back up PG role.

Billups\Lawson
Affalo\J.R

Unless Lawson\Affalo really don't work out I'd be more worried about picking up another big than a guard.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
Pokerface
Great young streetballer

I think they should sign Coby Karl who is flexible enough to play backup PG and SG. That will then allow the Nuggets to pursue Shelden Williams or Ryan Hollins, as suggested in the Roundball Mining Company column. This will give them more depth than they have had in a long time. Lawson is a lock for the nr. 2 PG slot.
Pokerface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
Triplelefthook
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
I'd like to see how Lawson does first because he hasn't even played a NBA game yet. But he stayed in college for a while and I believe he should be able to take on the back up PG role.

Billups\Lawson
Affalo\J.R

Unless Lawson\Affalo really don't work out I'd be more worried about picking up another big than a guard.

Yes, Denver need more depth in the frontcourt. They need another big man more than anything else
Triplelefthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
el gringos
Great college starter

There aren't a lot of 5-10 non-shooting non-finishing pg's in the league, but we just know ours is going to work- crazy or stupid

Nugs just really need jr to be a shooter scorer more than the second creator- he would be so much better if you asked him to do what he's good at instead of what the team doesn't have

Sure the team needs another big, it one of the 2 major holes in the roster, but gaurd is the other spot and needs fixed just as bad- nugs passed on most every big out there already- there's not a whole lot out there much better than petro for cheap

The roster has 15 spots, there is more than enough room for 3 pg's- I thought it was a no brainer question on if we need another gaurd was really wondering who you'd want- can't believe how confident nugs fans re about lawson- I hope I'm wrong
Old 08-04-2009, 12:18 AM   #6
Pokerface
Great young streetballer

[quote=el gringos]
Sure the team needs another big, it one of the 2 major holes in the roster, but gaurd is the other spot and needs fixed just as bad- nugs passed on most every big out there already- there's not a whole lot out there much better than petro for cheap

At this point, I don't think there are any FA bigs out there that are better than Petro. At age 24, he has a lot of potential and perhaps is their best option now.
Pokerface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:21 AM   #7
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gringos
There aren't a lot of 5-10 non-shooting non-finishing pg's in the league, but we just know ours is going to work- crazy or stupid

Nugs just really need jr to be a shooter scorer more than the second creator- he would be so much better if you asked him to do what he's good at instead of what the team doesn't have

The roster has 15 spots, there is more than enough room for 3 pg's- I thought it was a no brainer question on if we need another gaurd was really wondering who you'd want- can't believe how confident nugs fans re about lawson- I hope I'm wrong

I know there isn't much out there for back up bigs.

Not really that Confident about Lawson but I expect him to be able to fill the backup PG role and I don't see why he couldn't.

Could we use a 3rd PG? Probably ..not really a huge hole. J.R has shown he play abit of PG at times also.

Wasn't really disagreeing about getting a 3rd PG just don't see it as a big deal at all
Old 08-04-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
Geandily
Local High School Star

If Lawson isn't the #2 PG this season it screws us over for next season, true there's probably a veteran out there that would play slightly better than Lawson but if we don't get Lawson some playtime now he's never going to develop.

But until I see Karl put him into the game I wouldn't be surprised if the Nuggets went with your retarded plan of signing Carter or some other ancient perennial backup PG to ruin Lawson's development.
Geandily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:50 PM   #9
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Like I said don't really think we need it but what I wouldn't mind ..is maybe the Nuggets picking up Mike Taylor.

Had some nice games last year. Pretty athletic and would be a crowd pleaser IMO. Wouldn't have to play many minutes and would come pretty cheap.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
1~Gibson~1
NBA Finals

PG: Chauncey Billups / Ty Lawson
SG: JR Smith / Aaron Afflalo
SF: Carmelo Anthony / ???
PF: Kenyon Marin / Chris Andersen
C: Nene / Malik Allen

right now the Nuggets need to focus on re-signing Kleiza, then you should clear up the PG situation. Maybe a vet PG for the vets. minimum like Bobby Jackson or Damon Jones, just for half a season until Ty learns the NBA game.

*ok maybe not Damon but you know what i mean *
1~Gibson~1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #11
iTwistAnkles
Walk Like a Man

lawson is a excellent pg, with a resume filled with sucsses, trust me nugget fans, he might prosper into the best pg in the draft
iTwistAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #12
jello212

Quote:
I believe the nugs need another pg, I think lawson is a good 3rd pg most seem happy w him as the 2nd, but for sure nugs need another gaurd right?

How do you feel about Lawson being a 3rd pg now?
jello212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:45 PM   #13
el gringos
Great college starter

Lawson has outdone my expacations- didn't think his set shot would work and is much better finishing than I thought- but he is what I xpected in that he is an offense only player at a spot where we still need someone to cover pgs and lawson hurts the team in all the switching the defense does

So yes because he is 1 dimensional there is still a need for another pg that can defend pg's and wings

Atleast admit the fact to yourself that night in and night out the other team wants lawson and kmart to take all the shots- opportunity is as important as ability and there are a lot of gaurds that would be successfull playing with this group of players- lite years ahead of ac but not someone I'd want as a main rotation player in trying to win a championship- lawson is playing great and I think is a perfect 3rd pg
Old 12-08-2009, 08:53 AM   #14
jello212

Other teams do not want Lawson to shoot. He's shooting over 50% from 3 and from 2. This is from a 5'11" pg that you said couldn't finish in the paint. Offensively, there is no one that can stay in front of him. And if they back off of him, he can hit the 3. It takes a while for him to release the 3 ball (and I would like to see him speed it up), but it doesn't matter because the defender is usually giving him a huge cushion to prevent the drive.

Defensively, I've only seen him abused 1x and that was in the 2nd game of the season.

You wanted Jarret Jack instead of Lawson as the #2 pg. Lawson is outperforming Jack in almost every facet of the game. Heck, he's outperforming some starting guards and he's only playing 20 minutes per game.
jello212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #15
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

Quote:
Lawson has outdone my expacations- didn't think his set shot would work and is much better finishing than I thought- but he is what I xpected in that he is an offense only player at a spot where we still need someone to cover pgs and lawson hurts the team in all the switching the defense does

So yes because he is 1 dimensional there is still a need for another pg that can defend pg's and wings

Atleast admit the fact to yourself that night in and night out the other team wants lawson and kmart to take all the shots- opportunity is as important as ability and there are a lot of gaurds that would be successfull playing with this group of players- lite years ahead of ac but not someone I'd want as a main rotation player in trying to win a championship- lawson is playing great and I think is a perfect 3rd pg

Im really not quite sure which Lawson you are looking at, but the TY lawson that i watch play when i watch the Nuggets game is having a very good rookie season. So much so that he is being mentioned among the top 10 best rookies of this season. Theres not many PGs out there that would be doing a better job then lawson right now for this nuggets team as a backup to Billups, give the kid the credit he deserves.
JerzeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: