Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 11-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #1
One Love
Gunsmoke

One Love has a terrific reputationOne Love has a terrific reputationOne Love has a terrific reputationOne Love has a terrific reputationOne Love has a terrific reputationOne Love has a terrific reputation
Default NFL Team Ranks (Playoffs)

These are my "Power Rankings" on the teams who I think will make playoffs, and who will go furthest in playoffs. Put season records aside, because they mean nothing when it comes to the teams ability to perform in playoffs. I tried to sum these up as shortly as I could.

AFC:
1. Patriots - Don't tell me this list is biased because I'm a patriots fan. The Patriots just came off a 1 point loss on a questionable decision by Bill Belichick to the team with the best record in the AFC, and the Patriots biggest margin of defeat this season has been 7 points and the 3 losses have come on the road. The Patriots are the team of the decade and they are hungry for another Super Bowl victory. Too much has happened within a matter of 2 to 3 years. I really think the Patriots will be in the Superbowl this year, and Brady is going to be flawless in upcoming weeks. The defense will certainly pick up and the momentum will shift into playoff mode and this is why I put them atop the AFC list.

2. Colts - I know the Colts just beat the Patriots this last week, but they were trailing the whole game, and they may be the better team at the moment, but this is my list for the playoffs. Peyton Manning is very consistent every week, he spreads the ball out. The Colts have great options at running back, with Addai and with Brown back they can start attacking on the ground. The Colts Defense has been playing well also. Expect to see Patriots take on the Colts in Indianapolis in an outstanding AFC Championship matchup.

3. Pittsburgh Steelers - The Steelers have lost both of their games to division rival Cincinnati who have been red hot lately, but the Steelers shouldn't be discouraged. They are a great playoff team and with Rashard Mendenhall emerging as their number on back, they now have a reliable run game. Big Ben has played exceptionally well this season and is certainly a top QB in this league, he's very underrated. The Steelers defense is weak without momentum changer Troy Polamalu who is recovering from a hurt knee. If he stays healthy, he is willing to carry this Steelers defense into the playoffs and the Steelers could be contenders for another Super Bowl repeat.

4. San Diego Chargers - The reason why I have put the Chargers so high is because they are gaining a lot of momentum and they are on a 4 game win streak. If they keep up this kind of play they will march straight to the playoffs and past division rival Denver Broncos who have been playing poorly as of late, and have an injured QB. The Chargers are very tough opponents when it comes to playoff play, and if they meet up with the Patriots I think they can give them a run for their money. The Patriots have beaten them on multiple occasions in the playoffs and they have a vengeance. QB Phillip Rivers has been playing great, and their running game been playing decent these past few weeks with LaDanian Tomlinson and Darren Sproles splitting some time, and they might have the most balanced offense in the AFC come playoff time, only if LT can step up.

5. Cincinnati Bengals - Sorry Benglas fans, this team is playing great right now, but I just don't see the momentum that will push this team far into the playoffs. Carson Palmer has stepped up this year, after his injury ridden season last year. Cedric Benson has established himself as one of the better backs in the league and has racked up almost 900 yards already this season. Right now, there may be no doubts to their game play, especially after sweeping division rival Pittsburgh Steelers. I just don't see this team making it very far in playoffs.

6. Denver Broncos / Baltimore Ravens - Both of these teams are great, and it's too tough to tell at this moment which ones will make playoffs. I can say that the Denver Broncos can make it if QB Kyle Orton gets healthy and has some great games, but the Baltimore Ravens have outstanding sophomore QB Joe Flacco. The Ravens are the better looking team at this point, their defense is playing great, they have an outstanding back in Ray Rice. The only problem is tough opponents in upcoming weeks. They play at home in both games against the Colts and Steelers, and I think if they win these two games they can travel straight into playoffs. As for the Broncos, they are battling for their division lead against the Chargers this week and this could discourage the Chargers and take the division on the season.

NFC:
1. New Orleans Saints - The Saints have been unstoppable, put it that way. They have struggled in the first half of games at times, but they have pulled through on every game of the season. If Drew Brees can starting playing better in the first half, this team may end up undefeated, or very close to it. The only real tough games they have left is the 11/30 game vs. the Pats, 12/13 game @ the Falcons, and the 12/19 game vs. Cowboys. If the Saints can edge past these teams, there's no stopping them. The Saints will march right into the Super Bowl.

2. Minnesota Vikings - The Vikings have a great team this year. Great defense, Veteran QB Brett Favre and game changing sensational HB Adrian Peterson, this duo will make it far into the playoffs. Not to mention the WR's who have emerged from Brett Favre, Sidney Rice and rookie sensation Percy Harvin. This team has edged their opponents every week but one, and I see them strong contenders for the Super Bowl

3. Arizona Cardinals - The Cardinals came into this season from a heartbreaking loss in the Super Bowl to the Steelers. Expect them to come out with fire in the playoffs, this Cardinal team means business. Veteran QB Kurt Warner knows just how to lead this team, and the teams best WR Larry Fitzgerald will at his best, which is amazing. They have two other great WR's in Anquan Boldin and Steve Breaston. The teams RB's are Beanie Wells and Tim Hightower who are two great backs. And don't forget their great defense. This Cardinal team is playing good and it shows.

4. Dallas Cowboys - This Cowboys team led by QB Tony Romo has played well this year. Their offense is great with Marion Barber, Felix Jones and Tashard Choice at the HB Option, and the emerging WR Miles Austin, TE Jason Witten, Patrick Crayton and Roy E. Williams. This offense may be unstoppable. This teams defense is also good, Demarcus Ware, Terrence Newman, Mike Jenkins, Keith Brooking. The Cowboys seem like they won't be stopped, but they also haven't won a playoff game since 1996 (I believe) so I think that they will either choke or come in really strong. Only time will tell.

5. New York Giants - Even though this Giants team has lost 4 games in a row, they have a very tough schedule ahead of them, but I believe they can edge out their opponents and pick up victories in most of them. They play Atlanta this week who will most likely be without Michael Turner, and Matt Ryan is struggling. Then they play @ Denver, vs. Dallas, vs. Philadelphia, then the last game will be @ Minnesota. If the Giants can pick it up they will make the playoffs.

6. Green Bay Packers - This team has heart, they are devastated over the loss of Brett Favre and have lost to him twice this season. The only thing that I think would keep me from putting the Packers on this list, is the loss to Tampa Bay. No way should they have given them their first win of the season, but this is the NFL and they can deal with that loss. I think the Packers will come out strong the next few weeks and will pick up a Wild Card spot in the playoffs, and if it comes down to it, and they play @ Minnesota in the playoffs, they will want to crush Brett Favre. But the Wild Card spots in the NFC will come down to a shootout, I just think the Packers will be the one's to come out alive.

This ends my list and my thoughts on this years playoff teams, feel free to agree/disagree/comment. I know my football knowledge is nowhere close to perfect, and it would only help me if you try to tell me the flaws I made. Thanks, now discuss.
One Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:56 PM   #2
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation
Default Re: NFL Team Ranks (Playoffs)

You have Steelers so far above the Bengals...

You do realize we're 5-0 soon to be 6-0 within our own division.

Wake the fu*k up... the Bengals right now are a top 5 NFL team, both conferences considered.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:07 AM   #3
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

How can the Bengals lose the AFC North at this point, unless we just fold. The only way we lose the AFC North title is if we crumble amongst ourselves. Have you not seen the remaining schedules?

We beat the Steelers 2-0... the Ravens 2-0... most experts right now would say the AFC North is the best division in all of football... we are on a roll right now... we're for real...

I mean... come on folks... just deal with it. We are for real
Old 11-19-2009, 12:43 AM   #4
One Love
Gunsmoke

One Love has a terrific reputationOne Love has a terrific reputationOne Love has a terrific reputationOne Love has a terrific reputationOne Love has a terrific reputationOne Love has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
How can the Bengals lose the AFC North at this point, unless we just fold. The only way we lose the AFC North title is if we crumble amongst ourselves. Have you not seen the remaining schedules?

We beat the Steelers 2-0... the Ravens 2-0... most experts right now would say the AFC North is the best division in all of football... we are on a roll right now... we're for real...

I mean... come on folks... just deal with it. We are for real
Didn't say they would lose the North, I said the Steelers will make it further in the playoffs than them. The Bengals will lose momentum come playoff time, I'm calling it now.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:30 AM   #5
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

word in Dallas is that the Columbo loss is really bad...we have no depth at o-line...

so it will be interesting to see what happens there...

they don't even know who is gonna take his place yet I don't think...
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:32 AM   #6
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

and yeah, most have Cincy power ranked 4th overall, in the entire NFL...

they rightfully belong above the Steelers, who they have swept this year...
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:27 AM   #7
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
and yeah, most have Cincy power ranked 4th overall, in the entire NFL...

they rightfully belong above the Steelers, who they have swept this year...

Thank you Prime-time... I respect your NFL opinions for the most part... why are you up so late...?

A better question is... why is LOJ posting on ISH at this time of day... when 99% of my posts are during a normal workday schedule... oh that's right Steve hates me... wont lift the IP ban at work... so what can I do?

Old 11-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I love the disrespect, keep it coming. I don't want ISH posters, or people in the national media to give the Bengals any credit at all. They are slowly starting to get that respect from the national media, and I sure hope they don't let it get to their heads.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:54 PM   #9
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

They don't get respect because they haven't had ANY success recently.

Have they won a playoff game since the Palmer era? I don't think so.

How many games have they appeared in the playoffs? One, I think.

Not to mention this team is pretty different than the one back then when they made the playoffs. If recent history shows us anything it's that a team like the Bengals have next to a zero chance of winning what matters, the superbowl. Thus why I don't have any expectations for them, and is the reason most don't give a sh!t about them outside Cincy.

This Bengals team, in a stacked conference (with the two era defining quarterbacks playing in it on good teams) that features the Colts, Patriots & Steelers...five of the last seven champions have been those three teams, and you got a wild card who is talented enough to beat anyone in the Chargers.

The Bengals, a team who has next to no experience in the playoffs.... enough said. You don't win a championship in a tough conference that happens to have battle tested groups like the Pats, Colts & Steelers without being a battle-tested unit yourself.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #10
One Love
Gunsmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine

Not to mention this team is pretty different than the one back then when they made the playoffs. If recent history shows us anything it's that a team like the Bengals have next to a zero chance of winning what matters, the superbowl. Thus why I don't have any expectations for them, and is the reason most don't give a sh!t about them outside Cincy.

This Bengals team, in a stacked conference (with the two era defining quarterbacks playing in it on good teams) that features the Colts, Patriots & Steelers...five of the last seven champions have been those three teams, and you got a wild card who is talented enough to beat anyone in the Chargers.

The Bengals, a team who has next to no experience in the playoffs.... enough said. You don't win a championship in a tough conference that happens to have battle tested groups like the Pats, Colts & Steelers without being a battle-tested unit yourself.

Thank you, I honestly couldn't agree with you more, I am using this post as a reference on another site, giving you credit.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:36 AM   #11
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

catzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Stupid homer is in denial. The Pats LOST to the rookie secondary of the Colts dude. Face it.

Colts are clearly superior to the Pats.
catzhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:38 AM   #12
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

No we're not.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:22 AM   #13
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

I don't expect them to get any respect, because awards aren't given out at the 9 game mark of the NFL season, so I agree with you there. Nope they haven't won any playoff games in the Palmer era, but this year is a different group. It's not the same 'ol Bungles that everyone is used to. The 2005 group was a good team, but flashy and enigmatic. This team is more workmanline. They are playing with a hunger and an edge. None of which may mean anything in the playoffs, but I can't look at any of the elite AFC teams and claim that the Bengals are outmatched against any of them.

Injuries are slowly starting to mount. That is a concern. Other than that, we are a great running team, we have a leader in Palmer who can make clutch plays, and a defense that has more than held its own this year. That gameplan vs. the Steelers last week was a masterpiece.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #14
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

catzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
No we're not.
You're nuts if you think this.

Why not, Carbine? You facetious fan, you.
catzhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:02 PM   #15
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

If we're clearly superior to them, we should feel like we have the upper hand in pretty much all key categories...and having seen them play one another, it's clear that, if anything, the Patriots feel like the better team.

We have major weaknesses in the secondary and our running game is not something we can lean on. Our young receivers basically laid an egg in a big time game, which might be an indicator of future playoff games for them.

We're flawed.

Basically, unless the defense steps up like they did in 2006... we're not locks of any sort. Do we have a chance? Yeah.... but we're not favorites.

We can beat the alright teams and crappy ones without our weaknesses being exposed, but against the great teams? We can't hide it, and we can't hope that a team fumbles in the end-zone, throws a pick in the end-zone, and can't convery 3-2 with two tries to ice the game. If we're counting on those things happening twice in one year, we're not going to win.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: