Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Indiana Pacers Forum

Indiana Pacers Forum Indiana Pacers message board - pacers fan forum

Old 11-04-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

Default Woe is me...

This may be the worst Pacer team I've ever seen.

The offense has been pathetic. No plays, just quick shots, no passes, and tons of misses off of contested shots.

Jim O'Brien better turn this boat around before he finds himself out of a job.

Dahntay Jones' numbers may look like he's doing well, but he's a blackhole... I'd rather him score 0 points a game, take no shots, only play defense. You know your team is crap when Dahntay Jones is averaging 15 a night... He was cut by the Kings a couple of years ago... The Kings.

Anyway. I really like Luther Head, solid player, picks his spots well.

I think the biggest problem, outside of JOB and his "system" is Brandon Rush and Roy Hibbert, who are more designed for a halfcourt system. It's obvious that neither of them are run and gun players. Rush isn't the player who can create his own shot, but a catch a shoot Shane Battier sort of player. And seeing Roy in this "system" is almost laughable some nights. Sad part is we've gotten worse every game this year.

The reason I keep putting system in quotations is because his system is downright bad. There seems to be no schemes, just run down the court as fast as you can and shoot, or make one pass and take the contested shot. Rush will never thrive in this system because it's not built around the low post player, therefore he's not gonna get kickouts, which a player like him needs.

There's a lot wrong with this team, and I could go on all day.

Think we can beat the Knicks tomorrow?

I vote no.

We are honestly one of the worst teams in the league right now, and we're playing like the worst.
catzhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:48 AM   #2
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Default Re: Woe is me...

I more or less wholeheartedly agree. I like JOB, I honestly do, but the guy's just mediocre. I understand his run'n'shoot is his philosophy, but there's no give in his gameplanning. Hell we hardly even run plays, it's get down the court and shoot. The roster coupled with the coach just makes no sense. BRush is a work off a screen catch and shoot guy like Reggie, Roy's a beast in the paint but he never gets the damn ball. The current setup is oxymoronic. It makes me wonder even more about picking up JOB's option next year, are we going to continue drafting/signing like a halfcourt team but running and gunning? Slow the damn game down, PnR with TJ and Roy, work Rush off screens, I mean jesus, structure some kind of offense.

I mean I hate to overreact after 3 games, we've got a ton of new faces and all, but the pieces just don't fit. I didn't expect a great year, probably something similar to the last couple, but so far almost every player but Roy's regressed. They just act like they don't give a ****. As much as I HATE Dahntay being a blackhole, at least the dude shows some fire on the court and sidelines. Any time you saw a bench shot tonight it was guys just sitting there like they were waiting to cash their checks.

This really may be the worst Pacers team I've ever seen (I don't remember the late 80s/early 90s). At least last year I didn't expect it, but felt like any given night we could go and beat anyone. Right now I'm expecting a loss every night. Is this what it's like to be a fan of the worst team in the league?
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:29 AM   #3
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

That's exactly what I'm thinking.. Is this how it feels?

To be honest, it don't feel that bad.

Seriously though, I do miss our glory days.

Anyways, Travis Diener needs a lot more playing time. TJ Ford is pathetic, he needs to be shown the door, unfortunately we're stuck with him...

I'm really just pissed now that we let Quis, Rasho, and Jack all go for nothing... Every one of them, even though two of them were here just one short year, provided fire and tenacity, and brought a spark to the team. All of them did in some way. This roster is just plain mediocre, boring, etc. This is arguably the worst roster in the entire league.

We're playing with a bunch of D-Leaguers in a man's league.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

Dahntay Jones defense hasnt shown up the way that it is expected to, but the defense will be there with him. Dahntay can score the ball which many people dont know him for, but once his defence comes together, he will be a threat on both the offence and defensive end. in my opinion. just give them some time.
JerzeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

What's up with TJ Ford?

Guy is losing his starting job to Earl Watson.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

To be fair, Watson is a good PG with good IQ of the game, well at least most of the time...

TJ is very inconsistent, and looks like he's given up so far.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

TJ's a ball dominant point that looks to score. Nothing wrong with that, he is what he is. But in a motion ball swinging offense he's just another piece that doesn't fit. 6th man him and let the kid score.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #8
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

Ford looked bad last night against the knicks. Missing wide open layups.

And jones was looking real good 19 pts 11 boards. For those who say he cant score...looks like scoring numbers to me. Now add on 5 steals a night with those numbers and we got a legit 2nd go to guy next to granger
Old 11-05-2009, 10:47 PM   #9
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

If your second guy is Dahntay Jones, you have a seriously problem and your team stinks.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:08 AM   #10
jbot
Future D1 Dad

i happen to like d-jones. sure, he's not an all-star but the dude made a name for himself playing good defense for a very good Nuggets team last year.

that being said, i would like him to continue that defense on our team. so far, it seems he's be given the ever present offensive "green light" from coach. at some point, limits need to be set to our players in this regard. last year we had crapshooter (not the gambling kind) marquis daniels jacking up jumpers left and right.

somebody needs to check the bulb on O'Brien's green light.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #11
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by catzhernandez
If your second guy is Dahntay Jones, you have a seriously problem and your team stinks.

I just went to the Nets vs. Pacers game a few days ago. Saw D Jones play and hes the truth. He's showing that he is a solid contributor and averaging 16.7 points a game. Plays with heart.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #12
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

Yeah my opinion of jones is the exact opposite now.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:54 AM   #13
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Mine's still the same, it's just softened since his positives far outweigh his negatives. He still needs to do a better job of giving up the ball, but I don't really care. It's just fun to see a guy that's flat out aggressive as all hell every minute.

Too bad the (assumed) practice battles between Jones and Rush seem to be having a negative effect on Brandon. Rush is the most frustrating guy on the team for me by FAR. You know the skills are there, and the aggression's there on D (he's OUTSTANDING on D, in case you haven't seen me say that before lol), but on offense, oi vey. Drive the damn ball Brandon! Do you guys realize our starting 2 is averaging 7ppg on 33%? My patience is wearing thin with him, I don't know what his deal is.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:50 AM   #14
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

Went to my first game last night.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:52 AM   #15
Waking_Life
El Fuego Del Saber

Waking_Life is offline   Reply With Quote