Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-12-2009, 09:17 PM   #1
Niquesports
Good college starter

Default Better team 1978 Bullets or 1986 Celtics

I know I will get a lot of sillyness from the youg group here that never saw either team play. But I just want a few of the better basketball IQ guys to think about something.

Unseld vs Parrish this would be a big factor in who wins. Will Unseld be able to contain the Chief . Well Unseld did a great job on the likes of kareem,Bob lanier,Cowens ect.... I think he could at least make this even.

Hayes vs Mchale Hayes wins this one. mchale would cause problems on both ends for Hayes but no way does he win this battle

Dandrige vs Bird Bird wins this one. But not by as big a gap as most would think. Bird had defensive problems against scoring Forwards. Bernard King,Dominique,Worthy. Bird wins this but by a narrow margin.

henderson vs DJ FOr the guys that never saw Tom Henderson if you saw DJ you saw him. He may not have been the lock down defender DJ but he was a solid on D and grerat at leading an offense getting the ball in the right hands
Even

Kevin Grevey vs Danny Ainge This would depend on if Kevin shot was on if so he wins if not Ainge wins

6th men

Mitch Kupcheck vs Bill Walton. Mitch would just be too quick and active for Walton they would more than likely have walton defend Unseld and have mchale on Mitchthis would wear Mchale down having to defend two active players.

End result BUllets in 7 games. Boston was a great team but they werent that athletic they were more of a half court team which would help the Bullets but the legs of Bobby D and MItch might be too much for them much like the Lakerss with Worthy and Mychale Thompson.Many might think Im crazy but look at the matchups and show me different.
Niquesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
G.O.A.T
Scott Hastings Fan

Default Re: Better team !978 Bullets or 1986 Celtics

I won't rip you because I like you, but don't be surprised if you get ripped or this gets ignored.

Mitch Kupcheck outplaying Walton?

How exactly is Hayes going to outplay McHale?

Nevermind, this is just silly.

The '78 Bullets won 44 games and lost as many games to the Sonics than Boston lost the entire playoffs. No on the Bullets could guard Bird or McHale and Walton and Parrish have the one major skill that killed Wes; a jump shot from a 7 foot frame.
G.O.A.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Niquesports
Good college starter

Default Re: Better team !978 Bullets or 1986 Celtics

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
I won't rip you because I like you, but don't be surprised if you get ripped or this gets ignored.

Mitch Kupcheck outplaying Walton?

How exactly is Hayes going to outplay McHale?

Nevermind, this is just silly.

The '78 Bullets won 44 games and lost as many games to the Sonics than Boston lost the entire playoffs. No on the Bullets could guard Bird or McHale and Walton and Parrish have the one major skill that killed Wes; a jump shot from a 7 foot frame.

I didnt mean for this post to be for everyone I get tired of threads like is CP3 the best PG ever Does Kobe eat breakfast before games those are silly threads to me.

My point is that Bostons strengths were the Bullets also I stick to Hayes having the upper hand over Mchale as well as Mitch out playing Walton. Walton was an old role player that was perfect for his role on that team. Mitch was a young energized player that sometimes was a go to scorer for the team. Over all Walton was a better player but not the 86 Walton . Sure Bird will get his his 20-25 ppg maybe a few more but he was never a 35 ppg player night in night out not that he couldnt the team wasnt designed for him to. So Dandrige was an above avg defender Bird would have a hard time defending him like he did with most scoring SF like King,Wilkins,Worthy. As far as Unseld and parrish Parrish was very stiff not athletic the kind of C Unseld had problems with like a Mcadoo IF he was able to hold his own against a prime Jabbar Im sure he could do the same with a Parrish

This may only last a day but I get tired of the kiddie threads that have no intllegent thought to debate and disagree . 80% of these post I dont even open SO its just fun to debate when it takes some thought and reserch.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
allball
National High School Star

Default Re: Better team 1978 Bullets or 1986 Celtics

I saw both teams play actually since I was a Sixer fan back in 78 and the Bullets would have a hard time staying with the 86 Celtics.

The Bullets were a scrappy undersized team that played a good team game but they just didn't have the guns to overcome a prime Bird and McHale as well as Parish and DJ and the rest of Boston's weapons.

Unseld was undersized and would have had fits with McHale.

Hayes was really past his prime and would have been no match for Bird.

Walton coming off the bench would have been the icing on the cake.

Celts sweep.
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #5
Niquesports
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allball
I saw both teams play actually since I was a Sixer fan back in 78 and the Bullets would have a hard time staying with the 86 Celtics.

The Bullets were a scrappy undersized team that played a good team game but they just didn't have the guns to overcome a prime Bird and McHale as well as Parish and DJ and the rest of Boston's weapons.

Unseld was undersized and would have had fits with McHale.

Hayes was really past his prime and would have been no match for Bird.

Walton coming off the bench would have been the icing on the cake.

Celts sweep.

i agree that the Bullets were on the tail end of there prime but Unseld would have matched up with parrish and he was always undersized but still got voted top 50 with little argument.

The Hayes and Mchale matchup would have been the best with Hayes getting the edge

Now Walton voted 6th man of the year was little more than a garbage player getting rebounds giving the Big 3 rest getting some garbage baskets Mith Kupchek on the other hand was a young athletic big man Im sorry Age always wins. The thing that gets me it that both were very strong in the front courtbut the Bullets were slighly more athletic with Mitch and Bobby D.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
tontoz
NBA sixth man of the year

I was a Bullets fan in '78 (Geezer alarm goes off) and i had the "Opera isn't over till the fat lady sings" t-shirt after the Bullets won the title.

No way could they compete with the '86 Celtics. Dandridge was a good player but Bird would own him.
tontoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:19 PM   #7
Niquesports
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tontoz
I was a Bullets fan in '78 (Geezer alarm goes off) and i had the "Opera isn't over till the fat lady sings" t-shirt after the Bullets won the title.

No way could they compete with the '86 Celtics. Dandridge was a good player but Bird would own him.

I remember that shirt I had one also.. What people are forgetting is that Bobby D was a better all around player he was a better Offensive player this would just make Bird have to work harder than he did against Houstonwhats you stand on Walton and Mitch
Old 11-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
MMM
877-954-1893

Quote:
Originally Posted by tontoz

Damn that is pretty fortunate that you've been following the league that long. You've got to see not only the great stars/team but got to see a lot of the historic moments as well.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:35 PM   #9
GP_20
Glove

Does anyone still not believe me when I say Niquesports is a delusional idiot?

A more reasonable question would be, are the 78 Bullets the worst championship team in the last 50 years? But here NiqueSports is comparing them against arguably the GOAT. Enough said.
GP_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:38 PM   #10
Niquesports
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_20

A more reasonable question would be, are the 78 Bullets the worst championship team in the last 50 years? But here NiqueSports is comparing them against arguably the GOAT. Enough said.

WOW its Kevin Johnson hey KJ still trying to get into the HOF still no luck huh.I may be delusional (blame it on age) but your the Idiot
Old 11-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #11
GP_20
Glove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niquesports
WOW its Kevin Johnson hey KJ still trying to get into the HOF still no luck huh.I may be delusional (blame it on age) but your the Idiot
This guy is also quoted to say James Worthy is the 2nd best 6'9/6'10 or above shooter in the history of the game behind Dirk.

Peja? Bird? Lewis? Heck, even Gallarni is better.

Like seriously, how can you say something that stupid? Isn't their something inside your head that rings a bell when you post something like that? It's pathetic.
GP_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #12
Niquesports
Good college starter

Quote:
This guy is also quoted to say James Worthy is the 2nd best 6'9/6'10 or above shooter in the history of the game behind Dirk.

Peja? Bird? Lewis? Heck, even Gallarni is better.

Like seriously, how can you say something that stupid? Isn't their something inside your head that rings a bell when you post something like that? It's pathetic.

I guess going back and forth with you your stupidness has rubed off . Hey dummy dont just post what you want post the whole disscussion numb nutt
Old 11-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #13
Niquesports
Good college starter

Quote:

See how much of an idiot this guy is everyone knows that the Kevin Johnson lead Suns and the Gary Payton lead Sonics are the worst Championship teams in the Last 50 years. OOOOops they never won a Championship.
Enough Said Dummy
Old 11-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #14
tontoz
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
Damn that is pretty fortunate that you've been following the league that long. You've got to see not only the great stars/team but got to see a lot of the historic moments as well.

It is funny looking back and realizing that i witnessed some big historical moments live. I was watching Magic vs Bird in the NCAA title game in 1979 which was a huge event. The NBA wasn't doing so well back then. When they came into the league it changed everything.

I remember this skinny kid hitting a jumper to seal North Carolina's victory against Gtown in the 1984 NCAA Final. Little did i know i was watching the beginning of an icon. I saw Jordans entire career.
tontoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #15
CB4GOATPF
Local High School Star

Who says the 78 Bullets would give the 86 Celtics problems cause of athletic ability?

The 1985-96 Lakers where schooled by the 86 Celtics in that season, one game without McHale in L.A

You had athletic and bulky dudes like Magic, Worthy, Lucas, Green, Scott, Cooper and a Better Jabbar 1988-90 Version and nothing they could do

Not to mention they destroyd Sampson-Hakeem and the Rockets Backcourt which was Athletic and Great Defensively in the Finals?

McHale totally destroyed 7´4 Sampson whom was more athletic than Hayes.

Samspon wasn´t a better defender than Hayes but he was a good one. Lead the Play 85 Play-Offs in Defensive Rating. Everything was going well for him....

Untill He Met the Blackhole in the Finals

Only thing Hayes has over McHale is probably Rebounding in a 1 on 1 Siutation. Not to mention McHale was a Better Scorer and Passer (FG% and ORT will back this up), FT Shooter, Clutch Shooter, Could Spilt Double Teams, Fundementally Sound Player, Smarter etc

Last edited by CB4GOATPF : 11-13-2009 at 04:19 PM.
CB4GOATPF is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: