Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #136
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Default Re: Bistro Rufus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz
SO today I worked from home, and I made a huge batch of pasta sauce from scratch.

I made so much, I was able to make some variations.
-traditional onion, garlic, basil and oregano
-roasted red pepper with chilli peppers from my garden
-red wine and mushroom

I'll post the recipes and pics tonight

Nice. Looking forward to it.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #137
highwhey
el vato encabronado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul

Made a dish similar to this on Sat. for an early Valentine's dinner.

Trader Joes sells these great little racks of lamb from New Zealand that are fairly inexpensive and quite tasty. I took one and cut it into individual chops, pan seared and served with a garlic herb butter over a parsnip puree.

6 small lamb chops cut from the rack, bone in.
several sprigs of thyme and rosemary
olive oil
salt
pepper
herb butter (recipe follows)
parsnip puree (recipe follows)

Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in an iron skillet over medium low heat. Add the rosemary and thyme and let it flavor the oil for a few minutes. Remove the herbs and crank the heat up to high. Season the chops with salt and pepper and cook to desired temperature (3-4 min. per side for med. rare) making sure to get the pan hot enough to produce some nice browning. Remove to a warm plate, top each chop with a slice of the herb butter, cover loosely with foil and allow to rest 5 min. before serving. Serve 2 or 3 chops per plate over the parsnip puree and garnish with sauteed fresh veggies.

Herb Butter

1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1 clove garlic, minced
hand full of mint, chopped
hand full of parsley, chopped

Mix all the ingredients, form the mixture into a tube shape and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in the refridgerator for a few hours. When ready cut thin slices and place on the chops. Left over butter can be kept in the freezer.

Parsnip puree

6 large parsnips
1 celery root
1 cup heavy cream
1 stick unsalted butter
1 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
salt
pepper

Peel the parsnips and celery root and cut into even sized chunks. Place in a pot, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Cook for 20 minutes or until fork tender. In the meantime heat the cream, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a sauce pan over low heat until the butter is melted and the sugar has dissolved. Drain the parsnips and celery root in a collander and mash with a potato masher or run through a food mill or ricer. Stir in the cream mixture and season with salt and pepper.

hey rufus, what's a good side for this dish? I'm wanting to try it out.
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #138
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
hey rufus, what's a good side for this dish? I'm wanting to try it out.

Well the parsnip puree acts as a starch, sorta like mashed potatoes. I usually serve it with a salad or another vegetable (green beans, asparagus, greens, etc.)
Old 09-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #139
highwhey
el vato encabronado

Quote:
Well the parsnip puree acts as a starch, sorta like mashed potatoes. I usually serve it with a salad or another vegetable (green beans, asparagus, greens, etc.)
I'll probably do asparagus. Im tryin to impress some chick, she likes edamame alot, you think the saltynesss of the edamame go good with this dish?
Old 09-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #140
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
I'll probably do asparagus. Im tryin to impress some chick, she likes edamame alot, you think the saltynesss of the edamame go good with this dish?

You know instead of parsnips you could make an edamame puree. Done in the same way except without the brown sugar, nutmeg, etc. Just cook some up and puree it with some butter, cream and salt and pepper. Of course if you did that you'd have to use another veg than asparagus because that would be too much green on the plate.

Edamame by itself as a side would work just fine too. If you did that you might want to use potatoes instead of the parsnips to balance out the flavors.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #141
highwhey
el vato encabronado

Quote:
You know instead of parsnips you could make an edamame puree. Done in the same way except without the brown sugar, nutmeg, etc. Just cook some up and puree it with some butter, cream and salt and pepper. Of course if you did that you'd have to use another veg than asparagus because that would be too much green on the plate.

Edamame by itself as a side would work just fine too. If you did that you might want to use potatoes instead of the parsnips to balance out the flavors.
Thank you, master rufus

Another favor, being a SEXXY DDS, what are the regulations on inter-state controlled subtance.prescribing? Can you score me some oxycodone?
Jk

I will most likely go with whole edamame and mash potatoes(or puree?). Any particular wine you'd recommend(for drinking)? I plan on doing this tomorrow night so i'll post pics.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #142
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Thank you, master rufus

Another favor, being a SEXXY DDS, what are the regulations on inter-state controlled subtance.prescribing? Can you score me some oxycodone?
Jk

I will most likely go with whole edamame and mash potatoes(or puree?). Any particular wine you'd recommend(for drinking)? I plan on doing this tomorrow night so i'll post pics.

Any nice red would go well. Lately I've been liking some of the Malbecs from Argentina. Goes great with most meat dishes and quite affordable. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #143
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

No pics, but the quick eggplant dish I made tonight came out pretty rocking.

Diced the eggplant into small pieces.
Placed in a pyrex dish. Salted liberally. Let sit to draw out some bitterness. Some liquid should be drawn out of the eggplant and you you can get rid of this if you don't like bitter. I don't mind bitter and didn't see much liquid in mine.

Then I mixed some extra virgin olive oil with some ponzu sauce that was in the fridge and some black pepper.

Coated the eggplant with that.

Cooked at 400 degrees until nice and soft. about 30-40 minutes. In the middle of cooking, I stirred it once.

Very tasty. Very simple.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #144
intrinsic
Local High School Star

Grilled cheese:

whole wheat bread.
sliced tomato
muenster cheese.

Damned 3 yr old. found the sliced tomato I tried to sneak in there and tossed it off to the side. It's the reason I looked for this thread. Do you have anything in your food library for tomato soup, Rufus(or anyone)? I've found this one already.

Please keep in mind, Level:Easy.
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #145
highwhey
el vato encabronado

well, i set out to do the lamb but when i arrived at trader joes there was only 1 rack and it was small(they suppose to be that small?) my friend invited over more ppl(that never arrived) so i switched to the chicken with 40 cloves. didn't find any cogniac and she didnt have a blender so we just did our best smashing the cloves lol.

we used edamame, not green beens. it was pretty damn good though. annnnnd i got drunk that night too.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #146
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

^^^ Looks pretty good. Sorry I've been remiss with this thread. I plan to do better in 2013. I'll get a good tomato soup recipe up for Intrinsic too.

In the meantime here's a regional classic: Shrimp and Grits.

This is great comfort food, especially on a cold winter's night.

3 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup cream
1 cup stone ground grits
1 tbs butter
4 slices bacon- I use the uncured stuff, but any will do
2 cups sliced mushrooms
4 scallions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbs flour
1 lb med-large shrimp, pealed and deveined
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup chicken stock
hot sauce

Place chicken stock, cream, grits and butter in a sauce pan, bring to a boil and then down to a simmer, stirring until done. They should be smooth and creamy in texture, not soupy or grainy. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.

In a large pan cook the bacon until crispy. Remove and crumble the bacon, saving the crumbles. In the remaining pan drippings sauté the mushrooms for about 5 minutes. Add the scallions and garlic and sauté about 5 minutes more. Dredge the shrimp in the flour and add to pan. Add the lemon juice and chicken stock, bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 min. until the shrimp are cooked. Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce. Place some grits in a bowl, top with the shrimp mixture and garnish with the bacon crumbles. Serve with a salad and some crusty French bread.

This dish was originally served at breakfast for shrimp fishermen in the low country but is now a staple entree at most southern restaurants, most famously Crook's Corner in Chapel Hill.

Last edited by rufuspaul : 01-04-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #147
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

Yo Rufus, what's a good stew recipe? I rarely do any cooking besides putting chicken in the oven and stew seems like it would be pretty hard to fck up. Also, have you ever taken a cooking class, if so were there younger bitches there?
The Macho Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #148
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
Yo Rufus, what's a good stew recipe? I rarely do any cooking besides putting chicken in the oven and stew seems like it would be pretty hard to fck up. Also, have you ever taken a cooking class, if so were there younger bitches there?
Have you ever had japanese style curry? It's not the same taste as Indian Curry, and it's pretty simple if you can find the curry mix. You make the stew and put it over rice. Let me know if interested and i tell you waht i do.

I think if you wanted something akin to an american "Stew" over rice you'd enjoy this IMO.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #149
heyhey
stay mad golden state

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Have you ever had japanese style curry? It's not the same taste as Indian Curry, and it's pretty simple if you can find the curry mix. You make the stew and put it over rice. Let me know if interested and i tell you waht i do.

I think if you wanted something akin to an american "Stew" over rice you'd enjoy this IMO.

it's amazing. use to eat it at street stands often. very simple to make too and a great way to spice up a beef stew dish at home.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #150
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man

Check out the recipes at the beginning of the thread. There's 2 really good stews there.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: