Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-17-2009, 09:24 PM   #16
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Bistro Rufus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Skinny
Yo Rufus ever heard of London Broil?

that sh!t is too good but i haven't found a legit recipe for it...

all i know is that being cooked in a crockpot for hours makes the meat too tender and moist

I've never heard of cooking in a crockpot be associated with a London Broil.

To my knowledge, London Broil is a marinated flank steak that is cooked under a broiler on high heat
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #17
The Big Skinny
The champ is here.

The Big Skinny is considered somewhat coolThe Big Skinny is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot

To my knowledge, London Broil is a marinated flank steak that is cooked under a broiler on high heat

my friend cooks it in a crock pot for like 8 hours...

its too good..and i've never had it any other way so i dunno...

London Broil combo'd with garlic mashed potatoes (skin on) and jalapeno mac n cheese....unbeatable
The Big Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:33 PM   #18
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Skinny
my friend cooks it in a crock pot for like 8 hours...

its too good..and i've never had it any other way so i dunno...

London Broil combo'd with garlic mashed potatoes (skin on) and jalapeno mac n cheese....unbeatable

I'd be interested to know what it actually is that he's putting in there... because for what I know, that sounds like an entirely different preparation.

The crock pot is good though for tough pieces of meat (shoulder, chuck roast, rump roast) that need to be cooked slowly to process the connective tissues and make it super tender.

My guess is that he had some shoulder or chuck steaks which he threw in there.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #19
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Okay I'm not gonna be able to post much today so here ya go.

Coq au vin

Like Bankshot said this literally means rooster cooked in wine. French farmers, not being ones to waste anything, would cook the old rooster once his services to the hen house were done. To help break down the tough meat they utilized the acids in red wine. Hard to find rooster in the grocery store so my recipe is done with regular old chicken. I've tried numerous ways to make this. The best involved marinating a whole chicken over night in wine with some garlic and herbs. Since most of us don't always have the luxury of taking 2 days to make one meal I'll post my easiest, most used recipe. A lot of it is taken directly from Julia Child, God bless her.

3lbs chicken-I use thighs, bone in, skin on.
4 oz. bacon cut into lardons (1/4 in. rectangular strips)
1/4 cup cognac
2 cups red wine
2 cups chicken stock
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 bouquet garni
3 tbsp flour
2tbsp butter, softened
parsley
24 pearl onions
1/2 lb button mushrooms

Dry the chicken, season with salt and pepper, set aside. In a large Dutch oven or pot cook the bacon in a little olive oil till brown, remove and set aside. Add the chicken to the pot in batches and cook until browned on all sides. Put all the chicken and bacon back in the pot, cover and cook on low for 10 min. turning chicken once. Remove the chicken and set aside.

De-glaze the pot with the cognac (for a little fun you can light it with a match and flambe all the good stuff on the bottom of the pot.) Add the red wine and bring to a simmer. Add the chicken and just enough chicken stock to cover the pieces. Add the tomato paste and bouquet garni, cover and simmer for 30 min. At this time you can prepare the onions and mushrooms.

Simply saute the mushrooms in olive oil 4-5 minutes till lightly browned. Peel the onions (a pain in the ass but it's easier if you dump them in boiling water for 1 min. and then cool with cold water.) Saute the onions in olive oil till browned, then add some water to the pan, cover and cook until the onions are soft, about 20 min.

When the chicken is done cooking remove from the pot along with the bouquet garni, crank up the heat and reduce the liquid to about 2 cups. Mix the flour and butter together into a paste and whisk into the liquid to thicken it. Add the chicken, onions, mushrooms and a little chopped parsley back to the pot and simmer to warm. Serve with egg noodles or new potatoes, salad, French bread and a good red wine.

Last edited by rufuspaul : 11-18-2009 at 11:43 AM.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #20
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot

this is correct. Its a marinated flank steak that is broiled. My mum also uses a similar cut that I am blanking on for the same thing.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:35 PM   #21
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
this is correct. Its a marinated flank steak that is broiled. My mum also uses a similar cut that I am blanking on for the same thing.

Tri tip roast?
Old 01-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #22
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

ever made or heard of salmon gravlax rufus? its just curing salmon over a few days with dill and salt, but if you have, any other suggestions of what else i could add? i just did a basic one, which i'll probably try at some point today, but all i used were dill, salt, sugar, and a bit of whiskey. i know you can add any number of ingredients to those things. any suggestions?
RidonKs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #23
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
ever made or heard of salmon gravlax rufus? its just curing salmon over a few days with dill and salt, but if you have, any other suggestions of what else i could add? i just did a basic one, which i'll probably try at some point today, but all i used were dill, salt, sugar, and a bit of whiskey. i know you can add any number of ingredients to those things. any suggestions?

That sounds awesome. I wouldn't add anything else because I don't want to mask the salmon flavor too much. It speeds up the process if you add some weight on top of the fish while it's curing. I've followed Emeril's cue and used bricks wrapped in foil.

You should post some pics of the finished product.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #24
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i've had the box of kosher salt i bought specifically for it on top of the salmon for the past three days. lol

i don't have a camera, so i can't snap any pictures. tastes pretty good though. not as strong, particularly dill-wise, as i was expecting, but thats not necessarily a bad thing. looking forward to having it with a bagel and cream cheese.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #25
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
i've had the box of kosher salt i bought specifically for it on top of the salmon for the past three days. lol

i don't have a camera, so i can't snap any pictures. tastes pretty good though. not as strong, particularly dill-wise, as i was expecting, but thats not necessarily a bad thing. looking forward to having it with a bagel and cream cheese.

What kind of salmon did you use?
Old 01-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #26
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

set up a smoker the other day and started 2 halved chickens and a bunch of venison - jerky cut. Gonna do some oysters in it shortly.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #27
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
set up a smoker the other day and started 2 halved chickens and a bunch of venison - jerky cut. Gonna do some oysters in it shortly.

Please tell us you killed these animals yourself.

What kind of smoker you got?
Old 01-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #28
craigthomasb
College star

craigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
That sounds awesome. I wouldn't add anything else because I don't want to mask the salmon flavor too much. It speeds up the process if you add some weight on top of the fish while it's curing. I've followed Emeril's cue and used bricks wrapped in foil.

You should post some pics of the finished product.

my recipe for gavadlax is something like 150g salt, 250g sugar, 2 chopped bunches of dill, a t-spoon of white pepper and some cracked black pepper, then, mix it together add spread on the side of salmon, and leave for 2 or3 days depending on the size of it, find what ever i can to weigh it down (catering size boxes of butter tend to do the trick) serve with watercress salad and honey and whole grain mustard dressing,
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #29
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthomasb
my recipe for gavadlax is something like 150g salt, 250g sugar, 2 chopped bunches of dill, a t-spoon of white pepper and some cracked black pepper, then, mix it together add spread on the side of salmon, and leave for 2 or3 days depending on the size of it, find what ever i can to weigh it down (catering size boxes of butter tend to do the trick) serve with watercress salad and honey and whole grain mustard dressing,

(since I can't rep)
Old 01-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #30
RidonKs
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
What kind of salmon did you use?
just an atlantic salmon fillet. they said it had just come in that day, but still not the freshest i could get. it probably would have been smarter to try this recipe out when i was back east, as opposed to the middle of the goddamn country. lol

Quote:
serve with watercress salad and honey and whole grain mustard dressing,
so you slice up the fish and put it right in the salad? or just keep it on the side?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: