Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-11-2010, 09:22 PM   #31
Fatal9
owwwww

Fatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Bistro Rufus

always roll with pacific salmon imo.

what's the difference between kosher salt and common sea salt? kosher is thicker and I see it at home all the time, but is there enough of a difference to switch to it for seasoning?
Fatal9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #32
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal9

what's the difference between kosher salt and common sea salt? kosher is thicker and I see it at home all the time, but is there enough of a difference to switch to it for seasoning?

Per Wikianswers:

"Sea salt comes from evaporated seawater. The mineral content of sea salt is not limited to the sodium and chloride that make up the traditional salt molecule. Additional minerals can give the salt subtle flavor characteristics that can enhance foods.

.....Kosher salt is pure sodium chloride, usually without any additives, and it often comes in coarse crystals. It is not necessarily a kosher product, but it can be certified as kosher for Passover use. The real connection is that kosher salt has been used in the process by which foods are made kosher. It is no better or worse than any other form of table salt."
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #33
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Tri tip roast?

Tri-tip is relatively similar to a flank steak... both have a heavy grain that is very tender when sliced against it
Old 01-12-2010, 08:34 AM   #34
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal9

I use both but I must say I like Kosher salt for most of my cooking. It dissolves quickly and evenly and I can more easily gauge how much a pinch of it will affect the taste of what I'm cooking.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #35
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Please tell us you killed these animals yourself.

What kind of smoker you got?
killed the birds, my friend got the deer (not much of a hunter anymore), gonna do some croppie and the oysters tomorrow.

We made the smoker out of a commercial 2-door fridge my friend had lying around. worked pretty dang good.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #36
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
We made the smoker out of a commercial 2-door fridge my friend had lying around. worked pretty dang good.

Brilliant! We need pics!
Old 01-12-2010, 12:06 PM   #37
craigthomasb
College star

craigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
just an atlantic salmon fillet. they said it had just come in that day, but still not the freshest i could get. it probably would have been smarter to try this recipe out when i was back east, as opposed to the middle of the goddamn country. lol

so you slice up the fish and put it right in the salad? or just keep it on the side?

thin slices of salmon on one side of the plate, watercress on the other, dressing over the salmon, i got these rectangle plates i use, look like this
______
|(S) x|
|(S) x|
|(S) x|
|(S) x|
|(S) x|
|(S) x|
--------

x being the watercress, if you can see what im getting at
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:36 AM   #38
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Bumped for Dasher.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:13 AM   #39
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I just bought this and want to Christen it with a proper recipe.

Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:27 AM   #40
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

ukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
I just bought this and want to Christen it with a proper recipe.

is that a steamer or a slow/preassure cooker?
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:25 AM   #41
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
is that a steamer or a slow/preassure cooker?

It looks like a slow roaster
Old 02-06-2010, 03:26 PM   #42
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
It looks like a slow roaster

And a pretty snazzy one at that. Dasher, either of the 2 recipes I posted would work well with that. I'll post a few more that benefit from slow cooking later.

With all the talk about healthy living lately I thought I'd post a few salad faves of mine. First up is the classic salade Nicoise. This is a protein/carb packed bistro standard that makes a great lunch or pre/post workout meal.

Salad Nicoise

1 hard boiled egg
1 Yukon Gold potato
some fresh green beans, enough to arrange in the salad
1 fresh tuna steak
Mixed salad greens
3 cherry tomatoes, halved
Thinly sliced red onion, to taste
artichoke hearts, I use the jarred kind
Nicoise or oil-cured black olives
chopped chives

Cook the potato in boiling water until tender, about 15 min., cool in an ice bath. Add the green beans to the pot and cook for about 2 min. and place in the ice bath. Drain, cut the potato in quarters and set aside with the beans. Peel the egg and cut into quarters lengthwise.

Toss the salad greens with a vinaigrette (I like a roasted garlic tomato or lemon basil, recipe below). Place greens in a large bowl.

Arrange the potatoes, beans, egg, tomatoes, olives, onion and artichokes on top of the greens.

Pan sear or grill the tuna for about 2 minutes per side (rare). Now classic salade Nicoise calls for poached or even canned tuna, but I like this variation. Slice the tuna into 1/2 in. slices and arrange on top of the salad. Drizzle with a little more vinaigrette, season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with chives and serve.

*roasted tomato vinaigrette: Slice a few ripe roma tomatoes in half, coat with olive oil and roast cut side down on a baking sheet for 20 min. at 375. Remove and place in a food processor or blender. Add about 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, some parsley and chives (or any fresh herb you have) and 2 or 3 cloves of crushed garlic. Blend until smooth and then slowly drizzle in about 3/4 cup olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #43
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:

*roasted tomato vinaigrette: Slice a few ripe roma tomatoes in half, coat with olive oil and roast cut side down on a baking sheet for 20 min. at 375. Remove and place in a food processor or blender. Add about 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, some parsley and chives (or any fresh herb you have) and 2 or 3 cloves of crushed garlic. Blend until smooth and then slowly drizzle in about 3/4 cup olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

That sounds awesome.... especially the chives

Substituting some basil for the chives could be good too
Old 02-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #44
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

This one certainly isn't French but tasty nonetheless.

Spicy Chorizo and Chilli Salad

Mixed salad greens
2 baby new potatoes, halved
Sliced Chorizo sausage
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 green chilli, seeded and chopped
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
pinch of sugar

Cook the potatoes in boiling water for 10-15 min., cool. Saute the chorizo in a pan for about 3 min., remove sausage from the pan and return to heat. Add the onion and chilli and saute for about 2 min. Add the balsamic and sugar and deglaze for 30 sec. Season with salt and pepper. In a bowl add the salad greens, potatoes and Chorizo. Pour the balsamic-chilli-onion mixture over the salad, toss and serve.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #45
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Here's a red snapper recipe for Dasher:

Poached Red Snapper

Red snapper fillets- I like to buy the whole fish and cut 2 nice fillets off of it. Snapper is a local fish where Dasher lives so this is possible. If you buy the fillets pre-cut, they should smell like salt water. If they smell like fish don't buy them.
1 chopped onion
1/2 cup white wine
1 tomato peeled, seeded and diced
1 tbsp fresh thyme
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
1/2 cup heavy cream
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt and pepper

Place the onion in a large saute pan. Season the fillets with salt and pepper and arrange on top of the onions. Add the tomatoes, thyme and wine. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for about 6 min. Remove the fillets to a plate and cover with foil.

Reduce the remaining liquid at med. high heat for about a min. Mix the butter and flour together with a whisk. This will result in a glob of butter/flour stuck in the whisk. Whisk the glob into the liquid in the pan (the butter will melt and the flour will help thicken the sauce). Add the cream and lemon juice and bring to a boil, whisking for a few minutes. Taste and season as necessary. Serve the sauce over the fish.

This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: