Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #46
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Bistro Rufus

good to see some updates. My wife and I just replaced our crockpot last week as well. She loves to do whole stewed chickens in it.

For dinner last night I made a roast pork tenderloin and fried squash and potatoes.
For the loin, I ground up a bunch of fresh rosemary, some sea salt, whole black pepper and mustard seeds and coated the loin. sprinkled with some Worchestishire and let sit for about an hour. Melted butter in a cast iron, and seared the loin before popping it into an oven @350F.

For the fried veggies, I cut the squash and potato into long, thin strips (julienne if you will), mixed two large eggs with 2oz of goat cheese and milk to blend. Made a mix of flour with a Bavarian spice rub from the spice house (in chicago, great mixes). Soaked the veggies in the egg and then coated with the flour and fried in a mix of butter and evoo.

Big hit with the wife and mum-in-law.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #47
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
good to see some updates. My wife and I just replaced our crockpot last week as well. She loves to do whole stewed chickens in it.

For dinner last night I made a roast pork tenderloin and fried squash and potatoes.
For the loin, I ground up a bunch of fresh rosemary, some sea salt, whole black pepper and mustard seeds and coated the loin. sprinkled with some Worchestishire and let sit for about an hour. Melted butter in a cast iron, and seared the loin before popping it into an oven @350F.

For the fried veggies, I cut the squash and potato into long, thin strips (julienne if you will), mixed two large eggs with 2oz of goat cheese and milk to blend. Made a mix of flour with a Bavarian spice rub from the spice house (in chicago, great mixes). Soaked the veggies in the egg and then coated with the flour and fried in a mix of butter and evoo.

Big hit with the wife and mum-in-law.

Sounds nice. What temp did you cook the pork to and how did you serve it?
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #48
artex
♫♪♫

artex is considered somewhat coolartex is considered somewhat cool

dear rufus,

i really really suck at cooking, it took me quite some time to kick out a proper top ramen. i can cook cereal, waffles and anything microwaveable (i don't eat anything microwaveable though..) and cup o noodles. i'm completely hopeless right now.

are there any beginners cookbooks that you would recommend to me, and i mean like completely bare beginner style books because i don't know any of the terms or anything like that. a book with tips, different styles of food (i'm always open to trying new food) and any help would be greatly appreciated.

xoxoxo,
meezy f.
artex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #49
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by artex
dear rufus,

i really really suck at cooking, it took me quite some time to kick out a proper top ramen. i can cook cereal, waffles and anything microwaveable (i don't eat anything microwaveable though..) and cup o noodles. i'm completely hopeless right now.

are there any beginners cookbooks that you would recommend to me, and i mean like completely bare beginner style books because i don't know any of the terms or anything like that. a book with tips, different styles of food (i'm always open to trying new food) and any help would be greatly appreciated.

xoxoxo,
meezy f.

Aren't you on the Buddhist veggie diet? Anyway the first cookbook I ever got was this one:

All the recipes come with large color photos of all the step-by-step procedures. I still refer to it now and again.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #50
artex
♫♪♫

artex is considered somewhat coolartex is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Aren't you on the Buddhist veggie diet? Anyway the first cookbook I ever got was this one:

All the recipes come with large color photos of all the step-by-step procedures. I still refer to it now and again.

sweet thanks! and yeah im still on that diet until feb 28th, its not so bad but i'm definitely going to revert back over to the darkside after i finish it.
artex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #51
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Artex if you can get dressed, you can cook anything.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #52
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Sounds nice. What temp did you cook the pork to and how did you serve it?
took it up to just over 150 before it rested. It was tender and delicious. Wish I had packed some leftovers for lunch.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #53
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Here's a classic: Dover Sole ala Meuniere

Traditionally it is done with the whole fish and then de-boned at the table. I've been using frozen sole filets from Trader Joe's and have found them to work just as well. You can get a package of 6 filets for about 5 bucks.

Dover sole filets-or any other flat bottom-feeding fish like flounder or fluke.
salt and pepper
flour
olive oil
butter
lemon juice
parsley

Season the filets with salt and pepper and dredge in flour, shaking off the excess.

Heat a saute pan over med-high heat. Add some butter and olive oil and saute the fish for about 2 min. per side until golden brown.

Remove the fish to a warm plate. Add some more butter to the pan and cook till it starts to turn brown. Add some lemon juice and chopped parsley, cook for a few seconds and pour over the fish.

The result is simple, delicate buttery goodness.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #54
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Rocked a classic Beef Stroganoff this weekend. Definitely my favorite dish.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #55
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Rocked a classic Beef Stroganoff this weekend. Definitely my favorite dish.

You should post your recipe.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #56
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I shall.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:08 PM   #57
craigthomasb
College star

craigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation here

spot on sole meniere recipe there. ive never seen it cooked whole then fillit-ed (like in your picture) before, allways fillited the fish first
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #58
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Here's a salad I tried out this weekend. It's quite tasty and your guests will think you really worked hard on it.

Warm Mushroom Salad

2 slices bacon, diced
1 shallot, minced
8 oz. sliced mushrooms, any variety
1/2 cup creme fraiche (you can substitute sour cream)
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
assorted baby lettuce greens

Saute the bacon until slightly crisp, add the shallot and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms. Initially the mushrooms will soak up all the oil in the pan but after a few minutes they will start to release their own liquid. Continue to saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Mix in the creme fraiche and vinegar, season with salt and pepper.

On a platter arrange the lettuce leaves. Pour the mushroom mixture over the lettuce. This will slightly wilt the leaves as well as dress them. Serves 4.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #59
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

sounds good rufus. I made a very nice and simple meatball and wilted greens soup over the weekend. Very basic, great flavors, without being too heavy

Chop up some onions, celery, and carrots. Cook in butter (or evoo) until soft, but not really browned. add a whole shit ton of garlic, some white wine (or vermouth) and some chicken or veggie stock (I like to make my own from carcass remnants, but I used "better than bouillon" for this one).

In the meantime, mix up some ground meat (your choice, though I really like lamb in this dish, so I did half n half with lamb and beef), an egg, some ground pepper, a little sea salt, more garlic, some dried herbs (I used oregano and thyme), some fresh parsely (or mint or basil), a little bit of goat cheese (or cream cheese), and some breadcrumbs (or finely chopped nuts or oats or whatever).

Mix it all up, and add as little meatballs to the liquid (once it has been simmering for about 20 mins). Continue to simmer for another 10-15 mins, and add a can of cannellini beans (not necc. but it bulks up the soup quite a bit - I have skipped it). Bring back up to a simmer and then toss in as much greens (I like kale, but I used a mix of "teenage" mustards and swiss chard for this one) as you can fit in the pot. Stir once or twice, cover, cut the hear and let sit for about 10 mins to wilt the greens (if you are using something like swiss chard and want to use the petiole (stem), you can cut that up and add it a little earlier than the leaves).

Serve with a nice crusty bread and a little parm or other hard cheese grated on top.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:22 AM   #60
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

^ Nice. That's like a combo of classic Kale soup and Italian wedding soup. I've found that adding the rind from the parm cheese to liquid as it's simmering gives it a little sumpin sumpin too.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: