Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Fantasy Basketball Forum

Fantasy Basketball Forum Fantasy basketball message board - fantasy basketball forum

Old 11-18-2009, 12:12 PM   #16
benJAMin
Slap 'em with silence

Default Re: Trade: My Jennings for his Amare?

Look, I'm all for the idea of keeping players, based on their potential. But my mindset in to win the league this year, and I'll worry about next season in September (or April, depending how I'm doing in the standings). Jennings has the POTENTIAL to be a top 5 player in the next 3 years, but he's not going to do it this year. Who's to say he's not going to break down by game 50 like almost all rookies? He didnt play an 82 game schedule in Europe, and there's no guarantee he's ready to lead your team for the rest of the year.

So could he play a major role in helping me win the league a few years from now? Sure looks like it. But how do you know your draft win even put you in a position to win down the road? You could have kept Jennings and then drafted poorly, leaving you at the bottom of the standings. Having Jennings next year as your 13th round pick is cool, but I'll win next year when it comes along. I want to win NOW.

IMO Amare puts you in that position more effectively. I know he hasnt been everything people had hoped so far, but he'll be more efficient and consistent from here on out. Amare has no where to go but up, while Jennings cant possibly keep up his current pace.

As for the Nash piece? I'll take that and run too. Do the 2 for 2. If you can milk it into 3 for 3 as others have suggested thats even better, but whatever happens at least take the deal. Keeper leagues place importance on value for next year, but dont get SO lost in it that you forget two things: you're trying to win this season, and there will be unheralded steals in next year's draft if you know how to look, ala Jennings. I wouldnt want to pass up on a consumate first rounder for my 13th pick, because I know I can go find some good deals out there next year anyway.

Just my two cents, but if you dont share my perspective about winning now>value for next year, then I understand why you need to keep Jennings.
benJAMin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:16 PM   #17
Miller Time
the fighting mongooses

Quote:
Originally Posted by benJAMin
Look, I'm all for the idea of keeping players, based on their potential. But my mindset in to win the league this year, and I'll worry about next season in September (or April, depending how I'm doing in the standings). Jennings has the POTENTIAL to be a top 5 player in the next 3 years, but he's not going to do it this year. Who's to say he's not going to break down by game 50 like almost all rookies? He didnt play an 82 game schedule in Europe, and there's no guarantee he's ready to lead your team for the rest of the year.

So could he play a major role in helping me win the league a few years from now? Sure looks like it. But how do you know your draft win even put you in a position to win down the road? You could have kept Jennings and then drafted poorly, leaving you at the bottom of the standings. Having Jennings next year as your 13th round pick is cool, but I'll win next year when it comes along. I want to win NOW.

IMO Amare puts you in that position more effectively. I know he hasnt been everything people had hoped so far, but he'll be more efficient and consistent from here on out. Amare has no where to go but up, while Jennings cant possibly keep up his current pace.

As for the Nash piece? I'll take that and run too. Do the 2 for 2. If you can milk it into 3 for 3 as others have suggested thats even better, but whatever happens at least take the deal. Keeper leagues place importance on value for next year, but dont get SO lost in it that you forget two things: you're trying to win this season, and there will be unheralded steals in next year's draft if you know how to look, ala Jennings. I wouldnt want to pass up on a consumate first rounder for my 13th pick, because I know I can go find some good deals out there next year anyway.

Just my two cents, but if you dont share my perspective about winning now>value for next year, then I understand why you need to keep Jennings.

thanks for your input and I agree with you. If he declines my trade offer I will just accept his Nash and Amare offer.

Thanks for the help guys!
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:35 PM   #18
benJAMin
Slap 'em with silence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time
thanks for your input and I agree with you. If he declines my trade offer I will just accept his Nash and Amare offer.

Thanks for the help guys!

Of course, having Amare means you might want to use him as a keeper next year, where he's surely a first rounder. Luckily it looks like you used your #1 pick this year on Butler or Harris? It just means you'll probably keep Amare next year (if you choose to) and Butler/Harris get thrown back into the draft.

I say all of this because, if you had LeBron or CP, you'd want to use THEM as your first round keepers, and then you'd have to let Amare go back into the draft. If this was the case, making the deal for Amare doesnt make as much sense for you because he's going right back into the draft pool after this season and you have no chance of getting him back. It looks like this isnt the case though right?
Old 11-18-2009, 04:07 PM   #19
Phenith
NBA Junkie!

try to add balkman or amundson in and get Thompson in return on top of your 2 for 2.
Phenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #20
Miller Time
the fighting mongooses

Quote:
Of course, having Amare means you might want to use him as a keeper next year, where he's surely a first rounder. Luckily it looks like you used your #1 pick this year on Butler or Harris? It just means you'll probably keep Amare next year (if you choose to) and Butler/Harris get thrown back into the draft.

I say all of this because, if you had LeBron or CP, you'd want to use THEM as your first round keepers, and then you'd have to let Amare go back into the draft. If this was the case, making the deal for Amare doesnt make as much sense for you because he's going right back into the draft pool after this season and you have no chance of getting him back. It looks like this isnt the case though right?

We actually get to keep whoever we want to, it does not matter in which round they were drafted. Caron Butler was my keeper from the year before.

Also this was trade that I accepted:

M.Gasol
M.Gortat
B.Jennings

for

Nash
Amare
Thompson

but the trade already got 4 vetoes
Old 11-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #21
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
We actually get to keep whoever we want to, it does not matter in which round they were drafted. Caron Butler was my keeper from the year before.

M.Gasol
M.Gortat
B.Jennings

for

Nash
Amare
Thompson

No doubt!!
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #22
benJAMin
Slap 'em with silence

Quote:

M.Gasol
M.Gortat
B.Jennings

for

Nash
Amare
Thompson

Did your boys tell you they vetoed it in a message or something, or is there a way to see vetos that I'm unaware of?
Old 11-18-2009, 07:06 PM   #23
Phenith
NBA Junkie!

Probably veto'ng on the main page message board of the league.

You won't get the kind of value that Jennings should probably be worth without getting a veto against you.
I still feel you are better off with Jennings... and if Marc Gasol ends up beasting all year, you are better off with him than Nash in keeper anyway.
Phenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:44 PM   #24
RapsFan
Good college starter

Man I can't stand veto's....especially in a keeper league. Who is to judge if Jennings will remain top 10 value or not. What if the guy is also wanting to build for the future? You win the deal in a landslide, but I still hate veto's.

Just my rant.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:56 PM   #25
OG LeeTSkeeT
Mr.Rager

nash>jennnings for now then you trade him later
OG LeeTSkeeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:01 PM   #26
exaqtion
Serious playground baller

Quote:

M.Gasol
M.Gortat
B.Jennings

for

Nash
Amare
Thompson

Wow, i would vetoe that if I was in your league. Jennings and Gasol could barley be traded for just nash and thompson.
exaqtion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:57 AM   #27
Miller Time
the fighting mongooses

Quote:
Did your boys tell you they vetoed it in a message or something, or is there a way to see vetos that I'm unaware of?

They told me... But the trade might actually go through there are 5 vetoes right now and that is not enough.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:23 AM   #28
RapsFan
Good college starter

Quote:
They told me... But the trade might actually go through there are 5 vetoes right now and that is not enough.

Plead your case to the league. It's a keeper league and you're giving up two stud young players. Say Amare might change teams next year, Nash is old etc (just say this to get it through).
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:56 PM   #29
Miller Time
the fighting mongooses

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
Plead your case to the league. It's a keeper league and you're giving up two stud young players. Say Amare might change teams next year, Nash is old etc (just say this to get it through).

This is exactly what I did ;)
Old 11-19-2009, 08:11 PM   #30
thejusman1
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

I would definitely veto that trade, it's pure garbage. **** like that ruins competitive leagues, and if it's a money league I can see especially why it's getting vetoed. If you can pull it off, congrats, but that trade is extremely lop-sided.
thejusman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: