Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 07-08-2009, 11:28 PM   #1
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default What can Eddie Jordan do with Lou Williams?

One of the things that sticks out in my head from Jordan's introductory press conference was saying that he didn't need point guards to run his offense, just good guards. He pointed to the fact that Gilbert Arenas and Larry Hughes were clearly not point guards, but scoring guards who were capable of running his offense.

When I look at Larry Hughes career, he did great under Eddie Jordan. And only Eddie Jordan. In his first season in Washington, before EJ arrived, Larry averaged 12.2 ppg in 31 mpg. The very next year when EJ came in Larry was boosted to 18.8 ppg. He continued to score 22 ppg in his next season under EJ. That summer Larry signed with Cleveland and never scored over 15 a game the rest of his career. And he's still only 30.

I'm wondering how much Eddie's offense benefits scoring guards? Arenas became an absolute star under Eddie. Larry Hughes had his best seasons, and only good seasons under Eddie.

Caron Butler, Roger Mason, and Caron Butler are also players who had huge boosts in their offensive game after playing under Eddie Jordan. Coincidence?

What kind of numbers can we expect from Lou this year? Assist numbers shouldn't be high, probably in the 5.5 range...But will his scoring numbers reach into the high teens? Close to 20 ppg? He's always got about 12 ppg in 24 mpg. What's he going to do with starter minutes under an offensive minded coach?
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:13 AM   #2
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

sixerfan3511 has decent reputation
Default Re: What can Eddie Jordan do with Lou Williams?

Well it looks like Miller is all but gone, so Lou will get at least 30 minutes per game. I would venture to guess at least 15 and 4 assists. But i think that 18 and 5.5 isn't out of the question. That is a very good point about not needing a true guard. Plus we all know that Iguodala initiates much of the offense anyways.
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
ppierce34
High school junior varsity star

ppierce34 has an OK reputation so far

I can't see Lou getting 18 a game. I'd say he'll be around 12-14. There were other things that took place with Hughes, obviously the pace(Wash played at much faster pace then the Cavs) of the offense helped as it could help Lou as well, but Hughes was also coming up on his contract year as well and that played a big part.

I would imagine with Brand coming back and hopefully a bigger role in the offense for Thad that even with maybe a little increase in playing time you're probably gonna see similar numbers from Lou.
ppierce34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Good topic Posterize. I really dont know what to expect. Lou Williams is capable of scoring 18. But avg 18? I'm not sure if he over his 4yrs has proven he can be consistent enough. And last year his shot was just off. If his shot improves (help him mark price) and he becomes more consistent...with the extra minutes he'll recieve (i see 30mpg)? Possible. I'm just not banking on it honestly.

Also Larry Hughes and Gilbert Arenas I just have trouble comapring thier talent/ability to Lou Williams. But eh, 4yrs Lou has had to develop since coming fresh out of high school. Last 2 summers he spent with Mark Price to improve shooting, footwork, spacing you name it. And with confidence from GM/HC that he can be a starter...lets see.

The only reason i kinda wanted a legit PG was to utilize Elton Brand and maximize his game more. Does anyone think we have a guy capable of running a pick n roll with Elton? Cant see Lou doing it altho if Hedo can why not Iggy?
GOBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
ppierce34
High school junior varsity star

ppierce34 has an OK reputation so far

Iggy could I guess, be interesting his ball-handling is shaky at times. Be nice if Holiday could develop enough. I think Lou could be dangerous in the pick and roll with Brand because that quick first step will keep the D honest, it'll be up to his development and his decision making.
ppierce34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

sixerfan3511 has decent reputation

i don't think he will average 18 but i wouldn't be totally surprised if he did. If he gets 30+ minutes id say 15 ppg
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:07 PM   #7
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan3511
i don't think he will average 18 but i wouldn't be totally surprised if he did. If he gets 30+ minutes id say 15 ppg

But think about it. He avg 12.8ppg in 23.7mpg.

You think he would only increase his scoring avg by 2.2ppg in 6.3mpg of action? Check out Lou's stats...he took more shots last season than the year before where he avg 11.5ppg. If he starts he'll increase his shots attempts from 10.4 per game. Also IF he were to improve his 3pt shooting (.29%)? That would add pts as well. He shot 36% the season before.

So you figure more minutes, more shots attempts (in general and behind the arc) + if he improves his shooting? He should be able to avg more than 15ppg if he were to get more than 30mpg no? I'd think so.

I think he would be cut off at 30mpg but who knows. Definately interesting. I really hope he improves his shot. In between game to behind the arc. He really disappointed last year in this department.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #8
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

He could probably get 14 ppg in the same amount of minutes while still coming off the bench just by improving his percentages a bit. Shooting 42% from the field instead of 40%. Shooting 33% from deep instead of 29%. He's a scorer so he's going to get his buckets.

I think he's still going to get time at the SG spot. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the SG in the limited minutes Jrue Holiday is at the point. It gives Lou a chance to play off the ball and score while not having to guard the opposing team's big guard. Also throws out another ball handler to help Jrue.

I see a 15.5 point/5 assist kind of year for Lou. We've got 3 guys already who are going to score between 15-20 (Iggy, Brand, Thad). But really only Brand and Iggy are going to look for their own shot. Thad gets a lot of fast break and garbage points. Who was it...DiLeo or Cheeks who said we don't even run any plays for him?

And as for somebody else saying something about Iguodala doing some of the ball handling this year there was a comment Eddie Jordan made a few days back saying "We might have to play Iguodala at guard a bit this year" then fixed himself saying "Excuse me we will have to play Iguodala at guard a bit this year to help with the ball handling". His handle is shaky driving to the basket, but he is a play maker and a good set-up man.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #9
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppierce34
I think Lou could be dangerous in the pick and roll with Brand because that quick first step will keep the D honest, it'll be up to his development and his decision making.
Good point. Lou really isn't that bad of a pick n' roll player when he keeps his dribble alive. It's when he picks up his dribble that he gets in trouble and has a bit of a panic attack. But we've seen how he runs the pick n' roll/pick n' pop with Speights and he's definitely quick enough to get to the basket off of a screen.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:28 PM   #10
Styles p
NBA rookie of the year

Styles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Good point. Lou really isn't that bad of a pick n' roll player when he keeps his dribble alive. It's when he picks up his dribble that he gets in trouble and has a bit of a panic attack. But we've seen how he runs the pick n' roll/pick n' pop with Speights and he's definitely quick enough to get to the basket off of a screen.

at this point i think we should start the year with lou there and if we have to make a trade for a pg before the deadline then do it. but i think lou deserves to get the chance to start.
Styles p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:55 PM   #11
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Welp, Lou Williams better be prepared. He's not going to be the 6th man anymore. He will be the starter. Bigger role/responsibility.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #12
the big stick
I airball my layups

the big stick has no real reputation yet.

I think Brand will determine what sort of season Lou will have. If Brand plays well, Lou will improve his shooting and assists numbers because of the double team that will come his way. If Brand is not playing well Lou will be Lou. I will be happy if he can give us 12 points 8 assist and 5 boards. The player who really needs to step it up is AI.
the big stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #13
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by the big stick
I think Brand will determine what sort of season Lou will have. If Brand plays well, Lou will improve his shooting and assists numbers because of the double team that will come his way. If Brand is not playing well Lou will be Lou. I will be happy if he can give us 12 points 8 assist and 5 boards. The player who really needs to step it up is AI.
8 assists for Lou is pretty much impossible. If he gives you 6.5 consider us blessed.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:13 PM   #14
AI09
Serious playground baller

AI09 has an OK reputation so far

I think Lou will get 14 ppg and 5 assists 3.5 rpg 1.3 spg in 28mpg
AI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:20 PM   #15
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI09
I think Lou will get 14 ppg and 5 assists 3.5 rpg 1.3 spg in 28mpg
Sounds about right
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: