Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #61
Knicks101
Black Cesaro
 
Knicks101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Triple Cage
Posts: 25,090
Default Re: Knicks will NOT offer Iverson a contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukekarts
Sorry I didn't mean to imply they offered him the contract, but they signed him in a trade for Francis and Fry (IIRC?) as they thought he was a superstar.

Regardless, they've always ended up overpaying for mediocre players, whether they've traded for them or been the ones offering the contract.

Yes, we have traded for terrible players with terrible contracts, when Isiah was the GM. The point that I was making was that the Knicks haven't had cap space since 1996. The year we got Allan Houston who was having a Hall of Fame career before he got hit with injuries. Boozehound said no star free agent has ever signed here. I was just saying that no star free agent has had the chance to sign here, because we've acquired most of our players through trades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
Ready?

I honestly believe the win over Indiana is the reason Knicks are not signing AI. If they lost that game, they would be 1 - 10 and seemed more desperate. They got a solid win and said "we'll be alright"...




One game.

I doubt that Walsh ever really considered signing Iverson.
Knicks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:29 PM   #62
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star
 
G-train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,643
Default Re: Knicks will NOT offer Iverson a contract

We sit at home at our computers, and Walsh has sources everywhere that actually deal face to face with Iverson. He has done a good job so far in both Indiana and NY, so Knick fans should trust him.
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #63
oh the horror
5-time NBA All-Star
 
oh the horror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 11,763
Default Re: Knicks will NOT offer Iverson a contract

So Iverson's attitude has literally destroyed his own career at this point.
oh the horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #64
Poodle
Banned
 
Poodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,398
Default Re: Knicks will NOT offer Iverson a contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicks101
Yes, we have traded for terrible players with terrible contracts, when Isiah was the GM. The point that I was making was that the Knicks haven't had cap space since 1996. The year we got Allan Houston who was having a Hall of Fame career before he got hit with injuries. Boozehound said no star free agent has ever signed here. I was just saying that no star free agent has had the chance to sign here, because we've acquired most of our players through trades.



I doubt that Walsh ever really considered signing Iverson.


Alan Houston NEVER was having a HoF career and that team WAY over-achieved with the talent they have. That team was terrible in terms of talent. It was like the Knicks were either cheap as hell back then or they way overpaid for those scrubs only they and their fans thought were great players. I think they WAY overpaid tho since i remember them signing Anthony Mason to something dumb and trying to convert him to some triple double big man with the offense running through him. Honestly the late 80's Knicks when Ewing got old had a bunch of mediocre, borderline role players. Yeah they made the playoffs but like i said they WAY overachieved with the talent they had.

Oh almost forgot about Starks. I liked Starks, but the rest of that team was so overated its not funny.
Poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #65
Knicks101
Black Cesaro
 
Knicks101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Triple Cage
Posts: 25,090
Default Re: Knicks will NOT offer Iverson a contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodle
Alan Houston NEVER was having a HoF career and that team WAY over-achieved with the talent they have. That team was terrible in terms of talent. It was like the Knicks were either cheap as hell back then or they way overpaid for those scrubs only they and their fans thought were great players. I think they WAY overpaid tho since i remember them signing Anthony Mason to something dumb and trying to convert him to some triple double big man with the offense running through him. Honestly the late 80's Knicks when Ewing got old had a bunch of mediocre, borderline role players. Yeah they made the playoffs but like i said they WAY overachieved with the talent they had.

Oh almost forgot about Starks. I liked Starks, but the rest of that team was so overated its not funny.

So they had no talent, but they won a lot of games and made the Playoffs year after year...okay? What's your point?

Yeah, Don Nelson tried to play Mason at Point Forward and got fired for it. Again, what's your point?
Knicks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:35 PM   #66
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist
 
2LeTTeRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: www.twitter.com/EsquireSports
Posts: 6,574
Default Re: Knicks will NOT offer Iverson a contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicks101
So they had no talent, but they won a lot of games and made the Playoffs year after year...okay? What's your point?

Yeah, Don Nelson tried to play Mason at Point Forward and got fired for it. Again, what's your point?

Lol, but Mason was a pretty good point forward though. I remember how good he was in that role after the Hornets dealt Larry Johnson for him.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:00 PM   #67
bagelred
My team always wins
 
bagelred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 28,331
Default Re: Knicks will NOT offer Iverson a contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicks101
I doubt that Walsh ever really considered signing Iverson.

Actually, I think you are wrong. I think NYK were very close, but Dolan was against it and I think the organization basically got "cold feet". It's a big, risky move taking on AI...high risk/high reward.

But check this out. Looks like Eddy Curry may have c-ck blocked AI.

Quote:
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...rson-to-knicks

Eleven minutes of Eddy Curry helped doom the possibility of 71 games of Allen Iverson.

Curry played 11 minutes Wednesday night in the Knicks' victory in Indiana, and Walsh said the continued rehabilitation and re-integration of Curry -- along with the fear that Iverson would take minutes away from the young players the Knicks are trying to develop -- impacted the decision.

"That's part of it, because Eddy is now on the team and we've got to develop a lot of attention to Eddy from a franchise standpoint , because he went out there in 11 minutes and I thought actually changed the game in a lot of ways. Their big guys were having their way with us, which big men do because David (Lee) is not a natural center, and when Eddy went in -- just the fact that he could take the ball and go at them -- I could see they went back on their heels and they weren't the same after that no matter who was playing. I thought he helped us win the game right there. He's got a lot of talent, he's got great size, you can see he's worked on his body tremendously, so yeah, Eddy is a guy we're very high on, and we wanted to work with him."
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:02 PM   #68
OneMoreSucka
NBA Legend
 
OneMoreSucka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 13,428
Default Re: Knicks will NOT offer Iverson a contract

Curry = franchise saver.
OneMoreSucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #69
Knicks101
Black Cesaro
 
Knicks101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Triple Cage
Posts: 25,090
Default Re: Knicks will NOT offer Iverson a contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
Actually, I think you are wrong. I think NYK were very close, but Dolan was against it and I think the organization basically got "cold feet". It's a big, risky move taking on AI...high risk/high reward.

I think that Walsh was just using Iverson to get the media and the players to think that he actually cared about improving the team.
Knicks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:10 PM   #70
Ian
Ahh, buck it.
 
Ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 524
Default Re: Knicks will NOT offer Iverson a contract

The Knicks are pathetic. I mean, why not? Just give the guy the min. What do you have to lose?

The Knicks continue to be the laughing stock of the league.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #71
Poodle
Banned
 
Poodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,398
Default Re: Knicks will NOT offer Iverson a contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicks101
So they had no talent, but they won a lot of games and made the Playoffs year after year...okay? What's your point?

Yeah, Don Nelson tried to play Mason at Point Forward and got fired for it. Again, what's your point?


My point is/was the Knicks have had ****ty personnel for a LONG time now. Maybe more than any other team in the NBA that i can think of. I mean even teams like Memphis, Clippers, etc. get future stars with game even though they're terrible teams but its like the Knicks strike out on every draft pick, trade, and personnel move they've made in the last 20 years. David Lee is a beast, but you guys are starting cats like Duhon, Hughes, Chandler, Jefferies, and won't sign AI to a minimum? In fear of what again? Like the one GOLDEN opportunity to get a bonafide superstar, arguably ex superstar, in a market catered to AI's style and game that would sell HUGe tix for a minimum contract and these idiots pass because they're scared he might bring the team down. How much lower can the Knicks go? What kind of dumb excuse is that?

I've never seen such a wasted opportunity.

Last edited by Poodle : 11-20-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #72
kumquat
College superstar
 
kumquat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,469
Default Re: Knicks will NOT offer Iverson a contract

Has there been an MVP previous to Iverson that no team wanted a part of, even for 3million?
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:16 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy