Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #31
magnax1
Not a mormon

magnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Best Point Guard of ALL times.

Magic and Hakeem are probably the two most over rated players on here. For the majority of his career he gave up nearly as many points on defense as he created on offense, he was the best player on his team for only half his career, and for much of his career, his teams underachieved in the playoffs. He was one of the most efficient players ever, but if I had to take one player in their prime from their position, it'd easily be Isiah. He had a gargantuan impact on his teams.
magnax1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:31 PM   #32
HighFlyer23
National High School Star

HighFlyer23 is considered somewhat coolHighFlyer23 is considered somewhat coolHighFlyer23 is considered somewhat cool

speedy claxton, fools
HighFlyer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:33 PM   #33
GP_20
Glove

GP_20 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB4GOATPF
Payton was not better than Stockton. This has already been prooved
You might like Paytons thugy outspoken play ground style but he wasn´t better than Stockton

Prime- Payton
Career- Stockton

Since we are talking All-Time, thus career, Stockton wins this in this thread.
GP_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:35 PM   #34
vert48
Can You?

vert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat cool

GOAT's
PG - Magic
SG - MJ
SF - Bird
PF - Hakeem
C - KAJ
vert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:26 PM   #35
CB4GOATPF
Local High School Star

CB4GOATPF has decent reputationCB4GOATPF has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_20
Prime- Payton
Career- Stockton

Since we are talking All-Time, thus career, Stockton wins this in this thread.

Prime Stockton: 1987-1995 (ages 25-32) over Any Payton
CB4GOATPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:08 PM   #36
ArizaAttack24

Would just like to give a shoutout to Walt Frazier. My favorite PG to ever play the game, I never really watched him bu hearing things about him and growing up in New York really made me love this guy. Then again the entire 70s Era was underrated, nobody gives props to Dr. J and his domination of the ABA.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:11 PM   #37
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Samurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected poster

Best POINT GUARD of ALL TIMES?

Isiah Thomas

Magic Johnson is overrated (IMO). Still top 3 PG but ... defense was lack luster, and I never saw him being as good of a PG as Isiah Thomas.
Samurai Swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:24 PM   #38
vert48
Can You?

vert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
Best POINT GUARD of ALL TIMES?

Isiah Thomas

Magic Johnson is overrated (IMO). Still top 3 PG but ... defense was lack luster, and I never saw him being as good of a PG as Isiah Thomas.
Wow!! One of the more ridiculous posts of the day.

They played in the same era, only separated by a couple of years on either side. Isiah Thomas was a 2x All NBA 1st Team, and 2x All NBA 2nd Team. Magic Johnson was 8x All NBA 1st Team, and 1x All NBA 2nd Team. In what alternative dimension is Thomas better than Magic?
Old 11-23-2009, 10:27 PM   #39
GP_20
Glove

GP_20 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB4GOATPF

Prime Stockton: 1987-1995 (ages 25-32) over Any Payton
Stop confusing peak and prime.

Peak is their absolute best, and prime is when they were considered good or all-star caliber. Stockton had one of the longest primes and peaks.

His peak was 88-95, like you said. Payton's was from 98-02.

But back to topic. In 1996, what happened? 1 year removed from Stockton's peak, and 2 years from Payton's.

Payton dominated Stockton head to head in the WCF. Both were trying to get into the Finals for the 1st time. Payton absolutely dominated. This is as bad as Robinson and Hakeem.
GP_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:30 PM   #40
OneMoreSucka
NBA Legend

OneMoreSucka has an OK reputation so far

Right now I'd say it's

Magic Johnson
Brandon Jennings
John Stockton
OneMoreSucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:30 PM   #41
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by vert48
GOAT's
PG - Magic
SG - MJ
SF - Bird
PF - Hakeem
C - KAJ

not bad...but I'd put Wilt at center.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:34 PM   #42
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Samurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Wow!! One of the more ridiculous posts of the day.

They played in the same era, only separated by a couple of years on either side. Isiah Thomas was a 2x All NBA 1st Team, and 2x All NBA 2nd Team. Magic Johnson was 8x All NBA 1st Team, and 1x All NBA 2nd Team. In what alternative dimension is Thomas better than Magic?
I thought Isiah at the peak of their games was a bigger threat on the basketball court. He was a better half court player than Magic. And also defended his position better why also having near the same amount of dominance on offense.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:37 PM   #43
HylianNightmare
Moe Harkless Bandwagon

HylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezty
Carlos Arroyo

oh snap Ai's got some competition

and for the sake of argument lets throw steve francis and stephon marbury up there
HylianNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:50 PM   #44
vert48
Can You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
I thought Isiah at the peak of their games was a bigger threat on the basketball court. He was a better half court player than Magic. And also defended his position better why also having near the same amount of dominance on offense.
So I guess Thomas just had a really short peak. Tom Chambers was the All Star MVP, the best in the world for 1 game. If you count that as his peak, he is the GOAT PF.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:58 PM   #45
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Quote:
So I guess Thomas just had a really short peak. Tom Chambers was the All Star MVP, the best in the world for 1 game. If you count that as his peak, he is the GOAT PF.
No peak years for Isiah being 1982 / 1983 - 1989 / 1990

He brings more to the game as a PG for me than Magic.

Magic looked great in the 80s faced past free for all style of game.

Isiah can play uptempo as well and also have WAY more impact in a slower half court game given he handled the ball 10x better than Magic ever did ... he could penetrate and score with ease as well as dish to others. I mean Zeke haveraged 10 dimes for his carrer compared to Magic's 11 apg. And Isiah Thomas didn't play with such dynamic scoring threats like Kareem and Worthy.

He had some players that could hit jumpers, both both Kareem and Worthy were ELITE scorers for their era.

Not to mention it's already known he defended his position better with more tenacity than Magic ever could. I just happen to feel the glitzy aura around Magic and his persona coupled with the success he saw from a stacked team (offensively / defensively) over the course of his career leads him to be OVERRATED

Where as Isiah has had an unfortunate turn of events over the course of his career (post basketball) that lends him to being horrificly underrated.

Dude was 6'0 and simply dominated games.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: