Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 12-28-2009, 09:35 PM   #16
ZHAKIDD532
#hellobrooklyn

Default Re: 2010 Draft Prospect Discussion Thread

John Wall is the guy I want. Period. He's a special player, and he's going to be great.

Get John Wall...
ZHAKIDD532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:06 PM   #17
veilside23
alternick = loser :D

if you get first pick go for wall and trade harris plus anyone to get a good quality big...
personally i think thats what the nets need a good big to play alongside lopez.

if you dont get the first pick its a toss up between favors or monroe...

from the looks of it i would like favors more.... monroe is kinda soft ...
veilside23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #18
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

I like John Wall as much as the next guy, but he is not the be-all-and-end-all when it comes to this year's prospects. Bringing him in will actually not solve any of the real problems the Nets have. It would be great to get the #1 overall pick because of the leverage that comes with it, and the flexibility that having it, the chance to get Wall, and the ability to move Devin Harris would bring. I think switching out Wall for Devin would in reality be only a lateral move, and not bring the team closer to contention unless playing with Wall makes free-agents interested in coming to Jersey/Brooklyn.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:28 PM   #19
gigantes
A piece of fluff

^^ that's a lot like i was thinking.

i don't know enough about wall, but i'm a little wary because too many teams have been built around athletic PG's who sizzled but didn't actually make their teammates better. and like you say, wall could be of great use in a trade, trading down a couple spots and getting an extra pick or something like that.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:16 PM   #20
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

I've watched less college basketball this year, but what I've seen of Wall I've liked a lot. He's been the most impressive freshman since Durant. He hasn't been Durant good yet, but he's been almost as impressive. He's got great skills and instincts. Makes good decisions between passing and shooting, good passing skills, and seems to have a real nose for the ball as far as loose rebounds and passing lanes go.

I'm fine if we trade Devin away if we got Wall. I don't know who we could get, but I'd definitely hold onto Wall. If he doesn't have attitude problems, I'd say he's gonna be something special.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #21
idizzle
Good college starter

As much as I like Devin Harris, what if the Nets do get the 1st pick in the draft and get John Wall. I couldn't see them playing together seeing as both of them are 6-3 PGs. That would be a undersize backcourt. In the event the Nets get the #1 pick, what do you think they should do with it? Get John Wall and trade Harris or trade the #1 pick and get a veteran?
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:41 AM   #22
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Quote:
Originally Posted by idizzle
As much as I like Devin Harris, what if the Nets do get the 1st pick in the draft and get John Wall. I couldn't see them playing together seeing as both of them are 6-3 PGs. That would be a undersize backcourt. In the event the Nets get the #1 pick, what do you think they should do with it? Get John Wall and trade Harris or trade the #1 pick and get a veteran?
Trade Harris for a Vet... deffinentley not the #1 pick.

With the Dallas pick i think we should get a sharpshooter... any notables?
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #23
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

My take on this is to not trade Devin Harris if we happen to get the #1 pick and get John Wall. DH i think would be better coming off the ball, not saying he is a SG but like in football when you run the Wildcat offense with 2 QB's, why not apply the same concept in Basketball, try playing 2 PGs one coming off the ball like DH and JW handling the rock. Thats wat i would do , but who knows if we would even get him. Ill cross that bridge when i get there...
JerzeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:23 AM   #24
Dasher

Devin could play off the ball. He is a natural scoring guard. It could allow him to concentrate on his defense more, and he could morph into a Joe Dumars type on the defensive end. I just don't think you trade a guy like Devin just because you get your hands on John Wall. Devin is just too good of a bargain.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #25
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
Devin could play off the ball. He is a natural scoring guard. It could allow him to concentrate on his defense more, and he could morph into a Joe Dumars type on the defensive end. I just don't think you trade a guy like Devin just because you get your hands on John Wall. Devin is just too good of a bargain.

I'm not sold on that, but I guess it could happen. Someone will need to get traded for a veteran presence next year. We have too many kids right now.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #26
Dasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
I'm not sold on that, but I guess it could happen. Someone will need to get traded for a veteran presence next year. We have too many kids right now.
I agree that the vet/youth balance is off. Devin is a veteran, and I think that he should be retained. Free Agency can be used to bring in good older players. The 2nd 1st round pick and Courtney Lee or TWill can be packaged with it to upgrade the wing with some veterans. I am sure in light of the Arenas situation Caron can be had. He is on a good contract by NBA standards. Battie should be retained to provide veteran leadership. I would not be averse to bringing back Jarvis Hayes for the minimum. A player that I would target in trades that makes little money is Craig Smith. He would be a great player to anchor the second unit offensively.

Brook
Yi or Free Agent
Butler
Harris
Wall

6th Man:CDR
Bench:Battie, Hayes
Old 01-07-2010, 08:23 PM   #27
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
I agree that the vet/youth balance is off. Devin is a veteran, and I think that he should be retained. Free Agency can be used to bring in good older players. The 2nd 1st round pick and Courtney Lee or TWill can be packaged with it to upgrade the wing with some veterans. I am sure in light of the Arenas situation Caron can be had. He is on a good contract by NBA standards. Battie should be retained to provide veteran leadership. I would not be averse to bringing back Jarvis Hayes for the minimum. A player that I would target in trades that makes little money is Craig Smith. He would be a great player to anchor the second unit offensively.

Brook
Yi or Free Agent
Butler
Harris
Wall

6th Man:CDR
Bench:Battie, Hayes

Does this mean we're going to give up the gigantic cap space we've cleared for? As much as this team looks good on paper, as a business plan for the last two years, I must say I'd be a bit upset to walk out like this. I love Caron too.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:57 AM   #28
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyBlaze
My take on this is to not trade Devin Harris if we happen to get the #1 pick and get John Wall. DH i think would be better coming off the ball, not saying he is a SG but like in football when you run the Wildcat offense with 2 QB's, why not apply the same concept in Basketball, try playing 2 PGs one coming off the ball like DH and JW handling the rock. Thats wat i would do , but who knows if we would even get him. Ill cross that bridge when i get there...
Devin can not shoot and wont make it easier for wall imo.
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #29
Dasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
Does this mean we're going to give up the gigantic cap space we've cleared for? As much as this team looks good on paper, as a business plan for the last two years, I must say I'd be a bit upset to walk out like this. I love Caron too.
A move will have to made this Summer. I would love to see us go after LeBron, but I think Bosh are Amare are better and more realistic targets. A front court featuring one of those two and Brook would be devastating. Add Yi, Battie, Boone, and Craig Smith off the bench and you have a really good big man rotation. Tough Juice, Wall, CDR, Devin, and either TWill or Courtney would round out a really good set of wings that bring a lot of different things to the table.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:54 AM   #30
gigantes
A piece of fluff

i wouldn't touch stoudemire with a ten-foot pole. his next contract is going to be near-max money, he's playing in a one-of-a-kind system that pumps up his stats and perceived value, and his knees could go at any time. not to mention the retinas in his eyes. i mean, the league is filled with max and near-max players who developed some kind of problem and became essentially worthless... and even worse, destroyed their team's salary structure. at least every other team in the league has one of these guys, you know? so no way do i want one on the nets after we've suffered so much to free up all this money.

as for bosh, he directly stated a couple weeks ago that he had no interest in the nets.

about the lebron scenerio in general? no way. no way, i just don't see it. the continuing delays getting the stadium built and the worst season in NBA history have wrecked that fantasy. no way do i see him or wade or any competitive superstar saying to themselves "hmm, i think i'll take less money so i can spin my wheels for who knows how many seasons while hoping that the nets become an elite team... you know, before i've reached my athletic peak in 4-5 years." no, any star player that we'd really want on the team would want to win -now-, therefore would have no interest in the nets.

the way i see it right now is this: the nets have one player that anybody would want to play with, ie brook lopez. we're going to have to do better than that (wall would help).

i hate to say it, but after seeing where we are this season, i think this rebuilding process is going to last a couple more seasons at least. about the same length of time it will take to become an attractive destination to superstar FA's. it's just the way things are, just the hand we've been dealt.

the upshot, of course, is that after a couple years the nets will probably make a huge leap forward... much more than any other franchise is capable of. the question is, will most nets fans be able to hang on until then?
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: