Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 01-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #31
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Default Re: 2010 Draft Prospect Discussion Thread

Well, I do think Stoudemire is the most likely candidate to not live up to his contract, I wouldn't mind him being here anyway. Pehaps it's cause I'm a huge fan, but I do think we need an efficent bruising power (emphasis on power) forward next to Brook. However, if Yi continues to be this aggressive and learns how to play both man and team defense, he may not be neccessary.

I still think we need to trade Devin if we were to get Wall. I just don't think the two of them would work out well cause they both ball dominate and we'd most likely ask Wall to take back seat because Devin has been proven at the moment. I wouldn't mind if we were to use Devin to secure a bunch of role players or in a sign and trade scenario. How attached is Memphis to Rudy Gay and how committed are they to Mike Conley as their future PG? If Iggy is available, I'd like to make a run at him, though Lou Williams and Devin does sound redundant. Would also love a Gallo for Devin swap but I'd believe both sides would hate it. I also wouldn't be adverse to sending Devin to Atlanta for Marvin Williams, Crawford (his contract comes off the following season) and a first rounder.

Antawn Jamison also would be nice cause he's the consummate professional and good veteran leader for the team if we can't get Caron. I've always been a fan and he could play the small forward role.

Crazy idea though, how many of you think an Arenas for Devin swap, barring Arenas is banned from the NBA, suspended for a whole year, or seeing actual prison time. Washington wants to let him go for value, we're not looking to win anyway (assuming he's only suspended for the rest of the season), why not? I'm sure we could get picks for it too since they're desperate. I know someone will bring up what's the point since he'd be the same as Devin next to Wall, but I like to think he can play the off guard role way better than Devin. He does demand the ball, but I think he's been better off-ball, more versatile, and just an overall better player. Personally, I think the situation he has right now albeit serious, is overblown. Maybe it's just the hangover in me talking though.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:00 PM   #32
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

it was rumored also that the Nets tried to get nate robinson and Darko from the Knicks for Alston and Battie, but the knicks said no. That would have been interesting, but anyways yea Im not sure how many big name FA's will want to sign with the Nets like Gig was saying. Joe Johnson also hinted in an interview that it would be tough to sign with a team with this kind of record (paraphrase), but would leave everything open to negotations.

I dont think the Arenas for harris swap would be a good idea either. Arenas b4the Gun incident, yes, but not now i dont want that kind of stuff on my team. I dont think many teams are going to want to sign him regardless of how talented he is. However, I do think that Rudy Gay, and Coron Butler would be excellent choices for the NETS. If the nets get john wall in the draft and pick up Rudy Gay or Coron Butler, along side Lopez, Harris, and the way CDR is playin, might make for a team to be reckoned with.
JerzeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #33
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Well that is my proposition; that Gilbert gets his **** together now that his entire livelihood is threatened. I mean, say what you want about Gil, but I still think overall he's a good person who just made one mistake. Having his back against the wall and possibly loosing all his money and endorsements, I think he could get it together and play focused and inspired basketball without getting into trouble again. He just doesn't seem like the type of guy who would, just misdirected at the moment.

It'd be a gamble, obviously, but I'd take it if it was available. With each win, the attraction of a superstar player becomes less likely. I was hoping for Joe Johnson before, but now I don't think it'll happen.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:44 PM   #34
gigantes
‪ ‪

the nets will hopefully settle the next GM and coach before any stars are (potentially) signed. i mean, who knows what kind of system is going to be run and what personalities are going to be running it?

i'm not even sure if thorn should be brought back. you can't blame him for the generally weak FA signings given what an undesirable destination NJ is, but by my count he's only made four good picks (lopez, CDR, krstic, kmart) out of 23 or so spanning 10 years. he's made a lot of 'steal picks' and 'clever picks' that seemed smart at the time, but haven't worked out. examples- the williams trio, mile ilic and zoran planinic.

he's also very good at trades, of course, but what assets does he really have to trade right now? he's 69 years old and the nets might want to think about the future...
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:45 PM   #35
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyBlaze
it was rumored also that the Nets tried to get nate robinson and Darko from the Knicks for Alston and Battie, but the knicks said no. That would have been interesting, but anyways yea Im not sure how many big name FA's will want to sign with the Nets like Gig was saying. Joe Johnson also hinted in an interview that it would be tough to sign with a team with this kind of record (paraphrase), but would leave everything open to negotations.

I dont think the Arenas for harris swap would be a good idea either. Arenas b4the Gun incident, yes, but not now i dont want that kind of stuff on my team. I dont think many teams are going to want to sign him regardless of how talented he is. However, I do think that Rudy Gay, and Coron Butler would be excellent choices for the NETS. If the nets get john wall in the draft and pick up Rudy Gay or Coron Butler, along side Lopez, Harris, and the way CDR is playin, might make for a team to be reckoned with.
Or a team that cant shoot?
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #36
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
the nets will hopefully settle the next GM and coach before any stars are (potentially) signed. i mean, who knows what kind of system is going to be run and what personalities are going to be running it?

i'm not even sure if thorn should be brought back. you can't blame him for the generally weak FA signings given what an undesirable destination NJ is, but by my count he's only made four good picks (lopez, CDR, krstic, kmart) out of 23 or so spanning 10 years. he's made a lot of 'steal picks' and 'clever picks' that seemed smart at the time, but haven't worked out. examples- the williams trio, mile ilic and zoran planinic.

he's also very good at trades, of course, but what assets does he really have to trade right now? he's 69 years old and the nets might want to think about the future...

Rod is probably the last person I want to get rid of and that includes players. Halfway competent GMs are hard to come by in the NBA and guys like Rod who's clearly much smarter and capable than that are even harder.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #37
gigantes
‪ ‪

well, it all depends on prokhy. and if it doesn't, time to visit a really tall bridge.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #38
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Would you guys be interested in leveraging the second 1st rounder and our glut of swingmen to make a move for Al Jefferson? He is a relative bargain, and could form a really good front court trio with Brook Lopez and Yi. A defensive energy big will still be needed to bring something different to the table, but that could be a scary front court offensively.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #39
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
Would you guys be interested in leveraging the second 1st rounder and our glut of swingmen to make a move for Al Jefferson? He is a relative bargain, and could form a really good front court trio with Brook Lopez and Yi. A defensive energy big will still be needed to bring something different to the table, but that could be a scary front court offensively.

I'm down though I think it may hinder Brook's development.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #40
Dasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
I'm down though I think it may hinder Brook's development.
Brook needs to learn to play well with others. It is the next step in his development.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #41
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
Brook needs to learn to play well with others. It is the next step in his development.

Yeah, but is bringing another low post player the way to do it? I think Minnesota is experiencing how clogged it is there with Love and Jefferson so they're trying to move him. We'd have to force Brook even further away as a jump shooter and I'm not exactly sure that's what I want.

Ideally I rather have a guy like Marcus Camby next to Brook. He can shoot the jumper, fantastic rebounder, fantastic shotblocker, and fantastic athlete. Adding a guy like Jefferson, while very, very good may not be the way in my opinion.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:59 AM   #42
gigantes
‪ ‪

re: having two low-post players,
does having two low-post stars really work in practice? i think the best you can do is have two high-low stars who can operate well together, meaning they both need to be able to pass and shoot well, not to mention be able to interchange at the four and five. it's a pretty tall order, and i'm not sure how many elite teams have had a situation like that. i guess duncan-robinson was the last case, but it doesn't seem like there have been many...

re: camby,
i can't agree about bringing him in. the man has always been an injury waiting to happen, a lousy man defender, and overpaid by today's standards. he was thought to be one of the keys to the nuggets, yet when he got traded very little was missed. at 35 he's also way too old for a young team to be building with. by the time the nets will hopefully compete he's going to be in his late 30's. for an injury-prone guy whose game is built around athleticism, that's mind-boggling.

AK-47, who keeps getting mentioned, is very similar. but at least he's only 28. still, i think prokhy would be foolish to bring him in on much more than the veteran's minimum. because the nets are a team that are going to have to be built from the ground up. i wouldn't be surprised if only 1-2 players from the current roster are here in two years. by the same token, it's going to be very hard to know which veteran stars are worth pursuing until a few years from now when all the incoming talent is evaluated... because that's just basic common sense. the nets have ten picks over the next three years, after all. that's almost an entirely new roster just from picks, and i couldn't blame the nets for jettisoning everyone except lopez. other than him, there's not a single player here who stands out as being a lock to be a star or even an above-average starter. that's how low we are right now.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #43
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

I disagree with you on Camby. He can definitely help us in more ways than one. You ask Blake Griffin who has been the most influential person to him since coming to the league and he'll tell you it's been unequivocally Camby. He's been a mentor and more to him. I think our team needs that right now. A veteran willing to work with the younger generation and be almost a player coach.

I don't think he's as bad of a man defender as you describe, but I agree that it would be a lot of contract to take on. Our team definitely needs the rebounding, offensive rebounding, and shot blocking right now.

As for AK47, I haven't had the slightest idea how he'd fit on this team. We're already a thin team with Yi and Douglas-Roberts, not sure if I want to add another injury-prone thin guy.

What I would really love is to start running again. I have no idea why we haven't been utilizing our speed at all to get on the break. Every time I see Devin just walk the ball up the court and let the opposing team's defense set. We're not that good where we can pick a part a set defense so we really need to attack their transition defense.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #44
gigantes
‪ ‪

i didn't know that camby had had such a good mentoring influence. if he could be brought in as a long-term reserve or rotation player and be a positive influence then i'd be for it.

the spending situation right now is so bass-ackwards. every decision right now is from the perspective of how to shave pennies off the dollar. the whole league is going through that, but the nets are the worst. yet by the summer the nets could do 180 on this and be one of those very few teams that doesn't care about the luxury cap. OR prokhy could decide to keep the purse strings tight the first couple of years before his people have a handle on running the team. it's worse than jekyll & hyde.

it's like jekyll & hyde channeled through george costanza.

anyway, they should be running, yea. that's one of the few things they should be able to do well at this point. i don't know, i don't see them much these days, because i didn't wind up buying LP this year. partly because i thought i was going to have a big expenditure last month, partly because i'm really irritated by a lack of certain options for LP. and now, closing in soon on the season halfway point, i notice that the league wants $150 for the rest of the way. bloody hell, why can't they pro-rate the mofo...?
Old 01-25-2010, 04:22 AM   #45
Dasher

I am starting to warm up with Craig Brackins being chosen with the 2nd of the first rounders or in the 2nd round. He is a really nice player whose game has improved, but his stock will be harmed by the glut of talent in the 2010 draft.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: