Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 11-30-2009, 01:04 AM   #91
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Default Re: Is Chris Johnson better then Adrian Peterson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac&Luther
LOL "might be".

umm....Chris Johnson "might be" the fastest guy in the entire league and most likely...he is.

Also your stats don't fit the production. The fact that Peterson has Farve and that passing threat means he isn't running against 8 or even 9 man fronts, while teams are stacking the box to stop Chris Johnson and he's killing everybody he goes up against. BTW Adrian is also getting more carries per game than Chris Johnson is.

Yes......this season, Chris Johnson is the best running back in the NFL....hands down. Frankly it's not even really debatable
If you are going on just this season, it is debatable... With Steven Jackson. As bad as the Titans are, they have a ways to go before they reach the depths of St. Louis, yet SJax remains unstoppable -- completely by himself -- each and every week.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:11 AM   #92
TMac&Luther
Karl Malone's bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
If you are going on just this season, it is debatable... With Steven Jackson. As bad as the Titans are, they have a ways to go before they reach the depths of St. Louis, yet SJax remains unstoppable -- completely by himself -- each and every week.

Chris Johnson like Steven Jackson is one of the only weapons on his team. Remember the guy was beasting on people even before they put Vince in the lineup. Hell even with Vince they aren't a consistent down the field passing team.

So no.......it is not debatable. Chris Johnson even blows what Jackson is doing out of the water. The guy is putting up video game #s with a crazy 6.4 ypc average. You simply don't see that kind of average today, in that kind of offense....not at that amount of carries.

P.S.

on a side note, when judging NFL backs it has to be a strictly year to year basis. That's the one position in sports where players are on top one day then gone the next. Chris Johnson could easily burn out like a comet in just a couple of years. It's the one position in the NFL where you have to prove your elite status every single year, unlike other positions where your reputation can carry you for awhile. Just look at how fast Larry Johnson rose and fell, only a special few can maintain a high level of play for a decade in the NFL and those backs go on to be HOFers.

Last edited by TMac&Luther : 11-30-2009 at 01:19 AM.
TMac&Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:25 AM   #93
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Get Stevens dick out of your mouth RBA. It's not like Chris Johnson is surrounded by all-world talent which enables him to run wild on offense.

I realize Jackson doesn't have much either, probably less.... but he's CLEARLY not having as good a season as Johnson is having. He's on pace for around 1600 yards and 5 or 6 touchdowns, and about 55 receptions for around 400 yards.

Chris Johnson is on pace to break the single season record for rushing, or VERY close to it. He also will finish with around 50 receptions for 400 or so yards with 15 total touchdowns.

Big difference.

Him being able to put up big numbers with a good team around him isn't a given. Look at Peterson, you'd THINK with the additions they made this year, it would be impossible to defend him... but he's having an average year for him. It's better to look at what is actually happening instead of wondering what if.

And having that in mind, Johnson is CLEARLY the best rusher this year so far. No debate.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:30 AM   #94
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac&Luther
Chris Johnson like Steven Jackson is one of the only weapons on his team. Remember the guy was beasting on people even before they put Vince in the lineup. Hell even with Vince they aren't a consistent down the field passing team.

So no.......it is not debatable. Chris Johnson even blows what Jackson is doing out of the water. The guy is putting up video game #s with a crazy 6.4 ypc average. You simply don't see that kind of average today, in that kind of offense....not at that amount of carries.

P.S.

on a side note, when judging NFL backs it has to be a strictly year to year basis. That's the one position in sports where players are on top one day then gone the next. Chris Johnson could easily burn out like a comet in just a couple of years. It's the one position in the NFL where you have to prove your elite status every single year, unlike other positions where your reputation can carry you for awhile. Just look at how fast Larry Johnson rose and fell, only a special few can maintain a high level of play for a decade in the NFL and those backs go on to be HOFers.
You have to look a little deeper than just the numbers, though. Even with Kevin Mawae being a little long in the tooth, he is still in the conversation for best center in the NFL and the Titans line is still very good, overall.

The Rams' line is pretty bad, even with the addition of Jason Smith (who has been pretty good, but also has missed some action).

It isn't debatable that the Titans' line is significantly better than the Rams' line and that is key when evaluating the numbers.

Also, while the Titans aren't exactly the Colts in terms of offensive weaponry, they have a lot more than St. Louis. Collins and VY are both better than any QB on the Rams roster and Nate Washington, Kevin Britt and Justin Gage are all better than any receiver that the Rams have.

The Rams' best receiver has been Danny Amendola, for god's sake.

While Chris Johnson has been amazing and the Titans don't have a ton of weapons, SJax is quite literally totally by himself... Including his god awful line. Surely, that must weigh in to the conversation?

Look... I'm not saying that Jackson has been better than Johnson. I'm simply stating that, if there is a debate (for this season alone), it is between those two. Clearly, Johnson has been the most impressive back in the league this year. I wouldn't argue otherwise.

I do think that what Jackson is doing on an anemic offense is pretty incredible and I don't think that he gets the attention that he rightly deserves.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 11-30-2009 at 01:44 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:41 AM   #95
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine

Get Stevens dick out of your mouth RBA. It's not like Chris Johnson is surrounded by all-world talent which enables him to run wild on offense.

I realize Jackson doesn't have much either, probably less.... but he's CLEARLY not having as good a season as Johnson is having. He's on pace for around 1600 yards and 5 or 6 touchdowns, and about 55 receptions for around 400 yards.

Chris Johnson is on pace to break the single season record for rushing, or VERY close to it. He also will finish with around 50 receptions for 400 or so yards with 15 total touchdowns.

Big difference.

Him being able to put up big numbers with a good team around him isn't a given. Look at Peterson, you'd THINK with the additions they made this year, it would be impossible to defend him... but he's having an average year for him. It's better to look at what is actually happening instead of wondering what if.

And having that in mind, Johnson is CLEARLY the best rusher this year so far. No debate.
Fair enough. I can't help it, though. I've become a fan. Johnson is getting the headlines and rightfully so. Everyone is recognizing the brilliance of Johnson every week on every highlight show on every channel, even though he is on a bad team.

It seems to me that Jackson's performances fly almost completely under the radar and he needs someone out here lobbying for him. I watched a good bit of the Rams' game today and Jackson had several incredible runs, yet on NFL Gameday Final (NFL Network), they didn't show a single run of his in the highlight package and that is usually the most comprehensive wrap-up show.

Like I said... Johnson has been a stud... Clearly the best runner this season.

But, what SJax is doing on an absolutely putrid team is amazing and he deserves more recognition than what he is getting.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:04 AM   #96
~primetime~
~retired ish hofer~

I am conflicted in this debate...

I do think CJ is having a better year than AD is, esp if you factor in the fumbling...

I don't think that CJ is clearly a better reciever than AD though, they are about the same...

and I don't think he is clearly a better pass protector like others claim either...

If I had to start a team with one of them, give me Peterson, he has been running over dudes since he was a 5 year old...he came out of his mother's vagina running a damn football...

so, CJ is playing better right now, but I think Peterson is the better RB

so...thread title:
Quote:
Is Chris Johnson better then Adrian Peterson?

^^^ yes and no...
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:27 AM   #97
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

My Top 10 RB Ranks

1. Chris Johnson (best in the game at everything besides power running, hands down)
2. Adrian Peterson (toughest runner in the game, 2nd to Chris Johnson in big play ability)
3. Steven Jackson (all-around, great pass-catcher, great runner, great vision, great power, just doesn't have the speed CJ and AD have)
4. Maurice Jones Drew (all-around as well, not as great of a runner as the ones ahead of him)
5. Ray Rice (only thing holding him back from elite level is power, even then he makes up for it with his elusiveness, arguably best pass catching back in the league)
6. DeAngelo Williams (homerun threat every time he touches it, only problem he doesn't catch the rock)
7. Frank Gore (all around like some of the above, just not as great skill-wise, not up to par with them in speed)
8. Ronnie Brown (what can't he do? durability concerning, will he return to form post injury? great vision and great power at finishing runs)
9. Pierre Thomas (welcome to the most underrated running back in the league, he can do it all, doesn't have the breakaway speed but possesses almost everything else in the tool bag)
10. Marshawn Lynch (another great pass catcher who is also very elusive running the rock, holding him back is the Bills splitting carries with he and Fred Jackson, talent-wise he's got it all)

honorable mention: Cedric Benson, Michael Turner, Matt Forte, Ricky Williams, Knowshon Moreno, Brandon Jacobs, Marion Barber

Last edited by baseketball4life : 11-30-2009 at 03:40 AM.
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:35 AM   #98
AtomSmasher
Truth Seeker

Quote:

1. Chris Johnson
2. Maurice Jones Drew
3. Adrian Peterson
4. Ray Rice
5. Steven Jackson
6. DeAngelo Williams
7. Ronnie Brown
8. Michael Turner
9. Frank Gore
10. Cedric Benson
This is how mine would look.
AtomSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:56 AM   #99
~primetime~
~retired ish hofer~

1a. Peterson (best runner in the NFL, if had to pick anyone it is AD)
1b. Johnson (he is playing better than AD right now, but he isn't better, and yes, that makes sense)
3. Jackson
4. Jones-Drew
5. Williams
6. Jones (apparently underrated, he has been killer for a while now)
7. Turner
8. Rice
9. Gore
10. Brown

^^^ mine (the correct list )

* Benson is injured, done
* Pierre is a product of Brees
* Lynch just isn't that great
Old 11-30-2009, 04:01 AM   #100
AtomSmasher
Truth Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
1a. Peterson (best runner in the NFL, if had to pick anyone it is AD)
1b. Johnson (he is playing better than AD right now, but he isn't better, and yes, that makes sense)
3. Jackson
4. Jones-Drew
5. Williams
6. Jones (apparently underrated, he has been killer for a while now)
7. Turner
8. Rice
9. Gore
10. Brown

^^^ mine (the correct list )

* Benson is injured, done
* Pierre is a product of Brees
* Lynch just isn't that great
You're honestly rating Felix Jones over Ray Rice, Michael Turner, Ronnie Brown, and Frank Gore?
Old 11-30-2009, 04:02 AM   #101
~primetime~
~retired ish hofer~

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomSmasher
You're honestly rating Felix Jones over Ray Rice, Michael Turner, Ronnie Brown, and Frank Gore?
Thomas Jones...

however, if Felix wasn't so injury prone, I am sure he would be in the discussion...
Old 11-30-2009, 04:07 AM   #102
AtomSmasher
Truth Seeker

Quote:
Thomas Jones...

however, if Felix wasn't so injury prone, I am sure he would be in the discussion...
LOL - That's almost as bad.

You honestly believe Thomas Jones is a better running back than Ray Rice right now?
Old 11-30-2009, 04:11 AM   #103
~primetime~
~retired ish hofer~

Quote:
LOL - That's almost as bad.

You honestly believe Thomas Jones is a better running back than Ray Rice right now?
well he has defenatly been a better runner this year...but I guess you are thinking that Rice's recieving makes this a no-brainer?

I like my RBs to be runners first...

I can see why you like Rice though, he looks like a MJD clone to me...just MJD has 13 rushing TDs (wow)...Rice has 6...Jones 9
Old 11-30-2009, 04:15 AM   #104
AtomSmasher
Truth Seeker

Quote:
well he has defenatly been a better runner this year...but I guess you are thinking that Rice's recieving makes this a no-brainer?

I like my RBs to be runners first...

I can see why you like Rice though, he looks like a MJD clone to me...just MJD has 13 rushing TDs (wow)...Rice has 6...
Ray Rice has 100 fewer rushing yards than TJ while having a higher YPC.

Not to mention Rice is on pace to catch over 90 balls and leads all running backs in receptions and receiving yards.

He's second overall in total yards from scrimmage only trailing CJ.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:20 AM   #105
~primetime~
~retired ish hofer~

Quote:
Ray Rice has 100 fewer rushing yards than TJ while having a higher YPC.

Not to mention Rice is on pace to catch over 90 balls and leads all running backs in receptions and receiving yards.

He's second overall in total yards from scrimmage only trailing CJ.
okay, so you probably have Reggie Bush somewhat high on your list?

I don't have a problem with you saying Rice is better...

This is just a personal prefernce of mine...I like RBs that run...and don't get me wrong, Rice can run, but I think Jones is running better, on a crappier team...and he has been pretty well proven now, last year he was solid also...
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: