Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 12-01-2009, 12:07 PM   #16
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Default Re: I hate people that...

just played a little pick up before practice last nite. Usually run with my 4 friends, 2 ball for Drexel (guards). Had to check this 1 kid that people will say is a running injury cuz of the way he plays, he hacks, he undercuts you, he elbows, he pushes you in the back, whatever. Twice he tried to drive on me and realized he couldn't get by so he insisted on using his forearm to throw me off him for space. I told him, do that again watch what happens and he called me a hot head. So he did it again and I slammed my elbow down on his forearm and watched him fall to the ground. He was bigger than me (size not height) and would probably F me up but I didn't care. He stfu and stopped driving but tried to hurt me everytime I went to the rim. I made maybe 3/6 plays you could call and1s. He wasn't gonna do sh!t anyway cuz my team wouldve beat his @$$ so I played it how I wanted.

The first game I called him out for the shove we almost lost, I wouldve been mad
Automajic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:09 PM   #17
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
all games are the same

you start a game, then there's always the first guy that calls something, then everyone b*tches at the dude: "you gwan call a foul bro? this here is streetball, ain't no fouls on the pavement"

and that basically opens up the floodgates, fouls called on every possession like dudes are f*cking dwade, getting 35 free throws a quarter

there's basically two scenarios i see when i play ball:

foul-fest, dudes call everything

or

nothing is called AT ALL and you just play, dude gets smacked around, taps the guy on the butt says good play and gets back on d

there's no middle ground, there's no one or two fouls called in a streetball game, it's either all or nothing

You right though, this is especially true when you play with older guys (35+). Everything is a foul and it's really annoying.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:11 PM   #18
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivienthol
I don't really mind retards that think they're playing pro and calling stupid stuff. Those people usually aren't that good anyway. Plus it's fun to call stupid **** on those people in return.

But luckily at my gym it's a rarity you'll get those noobs. I remember someone calling a 3 second once and everyone started laughing . Never saw that kid again except in a city league game.

Honestly though, are people you play with that bad that people have to sit in the paint for > 3 seconds? What can the guy possibly doing anyway that's productive down there besides clogging the lane?
Old 12-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #19
HylianNightmare
Moe Harkless Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automajic23
You right though, this is especially true when you play with older guys (35+). Everything is a foul and it's really annoying.

yeah man i posted up some old italian guy, and he just fell over, he was like a foot taller at least 80 pounds heavier, and he called a foul
HylianNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #20
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Yea I see a guy like this every now and then... but not for a while actually. This dude ran right into me once when going up for a layup... dude was like 5'6 and he called a foul. I was pissed... I threw the ball across the court. If you are a little **** (well anybody really), don't be going in the lane creating all the contact and calling a foul to bail you out (he missed the shot btw).

I see so many travels tho... I just call them from the sidelines unless it's game point or something... then I call it in game... Or if it just straight horrible

Just play the rule, if you call foul basket doesn't count. We do this to minimize people calling foul then throwing up the shot saying 'ohhh it's continuation, or in case they're going to miss'
Old 12-01-2009, 12:14 PM   #21
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HylianNightmare
yeah man i posted up some old italian guy, and he just fell over, he was like a foot taller at least 80 pounds heavier, and he called a foul

Yeah then when you call foul on him he says, wtffff you mean kid!!!!
Old 12-01-2009, 05:58 PM   #22
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Playing with the elderly folk is tough sometimes. I ran with a damn good group of guys for the longest time. We didn't clean up, but whenever we were at the gym, we were easily one of the top squads. There was never a "top" squad anyways. If you beat us now, we'll get you back in an hour or the next day.

Anyways, every Thursday night was old guy night. Ages probably ranged from 30-70. Yeah, that's right, 70 f*cking years old, and that dude could hook shot with both hands like he was riding a bike. They used to run the table on all the competition. They steam-rolled us like 1st graders. They destroyed the gym. They were all about team-work. I mean, everyone was, but these guys had been playing together for God knows how long. Probably 30 years, some of them. They talked on D, they ran plays, they were all pure shooters. Their skills made up for their lack of physical ability. They pretty much ran the Princeton offense, tons of back-cutting. You couldn't even count the number of back-cuts they ran each game with two hands.

BUT, it wasn't embarrassing to lose, because they beat everyone. They beat guys who were faster, stronger, and more athletic.

My 10th grade science teacher, Mr. Tower was one of them, too. I don't think I ever saw the guy miss an open three pointer. Ever. In all my years of going to that gym, he never missed. Dude was an ice-cold emotionless shooting machine. Daggers right through your bleeding, palpitating basketball heart. And he never talked, either. He was just a quiet storm, waiting to rain on your parade and Hoop Dreams. He was a merciless bastard, that Mr. Tower.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:21 PM   #23
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Quote:
Playing with the elderly folk is tough sometimes. I ran with a damn good group of guys for the longest time. We didn't clean up, but whenever we were at the gym, we were easily one of the top squads. There was never a "top" squad anyways. If you beat us now, we'll get you back in an hour or the next day.

Anyways, every Thursday night was old guy night. Ages probably ranged from 30-70. Yeah, that's right, 70 f*cking years old, and that dude could hook shot with both hands like he was riding a bike. They used to run the table on all the competition. They steam-rolled us like 1st graders. They destroyed the gym. They were all about team-work. I mean, everyone was, but these guys had been playing together for God knows how long. Probably 30 years, some of them. They talked on D, they ran plays, they were all pure shooters. Their skills made up for their lack of physical ability. They pretty much ran the Princeton offense, tons of back-cutting. You couldn't even count the number of back-cuts they ran each game with two hands.

BUT, it wasn't embarrassing to lose, because they beat everyone. They beat guys who were faster, stronger, and more athletic.

My 10th grade science teacher, Mr. Tower was one of them, too. I don't think I ever saw the guy miss an open three pointer. Ever. In all my years of going to that gym, he never missed. Dude was an ice-cold emotionless shooting machine. Daggers right through your bleeding, palpitating basketball heart. And he never talked, either. He was just a quiet storm, waiting to rain on your parade and Hoop Dreams. He was a merciless bastard, that Mr. Tower.

damn this is a pounding post. Too bad you cant rep anymore lol
Old 12-02-2009, 02:50 AM   #24
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:

^^^ Classic Post
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #25
HylianNightmare
Moe Harkless Bandwagon

Quote:

i know exactly how you feel, i got to run a game with some my highschools' boys team against the coaches of the bball team.

never in my life have i truly had no idea what to do on the court.
i mean just cuts going everywhich way, screens, box outs. they had it all
and they were old, fat out of shape. but just knew basketball like they'd been playing together forever.

and on defense?
fuck that i was one of the quickest guys at my school i blew past EVERYONE first play i call for an iso on this fat tub of lard, blow past him as i'm going for a layup....

chasedown block lebron style.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:55 PM   #26
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Sorry, dude, I know exactly how you feel and you just gotta laugh about it. Gives you incentive to work on your game, though, right?
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:21 PM   #27
Splitz77
Good High School Starter

foul
Splitz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:06 AM   #28
HylianNightmare
Moe Harkless Bandwagon

Quote:

Sorry, dude, I know exactly how you feel and you just gotta laugh about it. Gives you incentive to work on your game, though, right?
gave me incentive to never want to play basketball again
Old 12-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #29
aznxkpx88
Can barely lace up my sneakers

I feel you bro for reals.
Noticed a kid just like that coming to the gym since a month ago. He always pisses me off with his little stupid comments and calls. We are not the NBA and we are playing hard knock street ball.
I'll bump push and arm you all day(I won't play dirty bruce bowen style but just physical) and if a defender does it to me all respect man, that's how real men play ball.
But this little girl in a whining voice goes like you can't do that and stuff like that.
aznxkpx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #30
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
This bothers me too, but its also really annoying when people have zero regard for the rules and constantly foul, double dribble, etc....
I'm with you here. I agree it's good to play through most fouls and whatnot but I don't think there's anything wrong with calling them. The problem I've had is that defenders use that extra freedom (aka no referee) as a means to blindly swat, hack and push anyone that enters the paint. It grows tiresome getting destroyed every single time I step into the paint simply because a particular set of defenders are incapable of making a legitimate stop.

I understand many of you are speaking of ticky-tac fouls. I'm speaking more toward the fouls that simply do not allow me to get an attempt at the basket. Under these circumstance, there are two options for me: call no fouls and become completely useless on offense (resorting to jumpshots) or call fouls when they occur and have people cry about it all night. My feeling is, if one is upset about people calling legitimate fouls, maybe one should step their defensive game up. Get a stop without taking someone out.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: