Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Golden State Warriors Forum

Golden State Warriors Forum Golden State Warriors message board - warriors fan forum

Old 11-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #1
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

Default Monta Ellis improving?

i was noticing that his defense was getting better when the season started but i didnt think it was great defense until the portland game he pretty much shut down brandon roy

can he keep it up or is this just a rare thing?

i say he will do better defensivley but wont be a shut down defender,his steals though will be great

Quote:
Maybe Monta Ellis is ready to shoulder a heavier load, after all.

The guard carried the Warriors to a 108-94 win over streaking Portland, recording a season-high 34 points and adding eight assists, six rebounds and six steals in front of 18,630 fans at Oracle Arena on Friday night.

Ellis had said he wouldn't accept added responsibilities since his best friend and team leader Stephen Jackson was shipped to Charlotte on Monday. However, he did a little of everything Friday, proving the Warriors are officially his team.

"With what I did on the defensive end, getting everybody involved and being out their leading players and making plays for others, you could say that," Ellis said. "If people want to say it's my team, then it's my team, but I've got soldiers behind me who are ready to go with me.

"We're all going to put it together and make this one, big, happy family."

Ellis played all 48 minutes for the shorthanded Warriors (eight players), filled the stats sheet and made life miserable for all-star Brandon Roy for the majority of the game. He and Roy entered the game as two of only seven players in the league averaging at least 19 points, four rebounds and five assists.

Ellis won the duel, limiting Roy to 17 points on 6-of-17 shooting and two assists. After an Ellis fourth-quarter steal from Roy led to a dunk, he added cheerleader to his many duties, urging the crowd to stand as Portland called a timeout with 8:43 remaining.

"We just played off the hot man, and that was Monta Ellis," coach Don Nelson said. "That's as good as I've seen him on both sides of the ball."

It appeared early that the Trail Blazers were going to reverse the trend. They scored 37 points in the first quarter - their highest output for any quarter this season - and shot 68.4 percent on their first 19 shots. Once Ellis proved he didn't need a double team to guard Roy, the Warriors limited Portland to 33 percent shooting the rest of the way.

"I think Monta set the precedent high by going out there and going head-up with Brandon Roy," Morrow said. "He had an all-star performance, and everybody followed his lead."

my favorite part about this is that monta actually sounded like a leader after saying that he wont be anymore vocal after jack left

again can monta keep this up or is he just acting it right now because they won the game?
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
BayAreaSportz
I hit open layups

Default Re: Monta Ellis improving?

I'm not ready to get on the Ellis bandwagon after one good game. Having said that...it was one hell of a game he had against the Blazers. I give credit where credit is due and Ellis played like a star player on both ends of the court. I would like to see him get his teammates more involved, but I'm not going to be nit picky. He had a great game.

In his rookie season, he went head to head with Deron Williams and shut him down for an entire game. Since then, his defensive inabilities have been noticed and documented throughout the league as well as sports writers. Lets see if he can sustain that high level of player for an extended period of time before annointed him anything.

And yes, he sort of sounded like a leader, but he did use the word "I" more than i would of liked. He pretty much said that he won the game himself.
BayAreaSportz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:44 AM   #3
DiLillo 1148
Can barely lace up my sneakers

I'm really excited about what I've seen from Monta lately... especially after we beat Dallas too. Wow! So few players to play, yet those players are playing... like contenders... like a team that has talent and gives a s**t. I don't know, but as a fan I'm excited. Things could end up going South for the rest of the season... I don't know, we are suiting only 8, and playing only 6 (for the last game against Dallas)... but hey, for the past two games I've been a happy fan.

It's good when you feel like your team has a chance, game to game.

Monta has been an all-star... the young guys have looked awesome (aside from occasional Randolph blunders)...

But, it's sure to eventuallly catch up to us. I look forward to Maggette getting back into the line-up. Hope the hamstring injury isn't a big deal. We're gonna need his scoring when the young guys inevitably go cold. Biedrens and Turiaf's size and talent will be needed as well. It's a long season... but at least, for the time being, there is hope.
DiLillo 1148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:49 AM   #4
DiLillo 1148

But back on the subject... I do think Monta is still improving... or at least he has yet to show us how good he can really be.

I expect his numbers as well as the team's success to continue.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:35 AM   #5
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

I hate on Monta a lot... but he's been playing inspired Basketball the past few games. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Now we just need to settle into a steady rotation, so players understand what to expect game to game.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:23 AM   #6
DiLillo 1148

I agree 100% on keeping a consitent rotation. That's probably my one major beef with Nellie as a coach, is his odd-ball rotations.

Well, the Spurs out-lasted us in the game yesterday. Still, I like the way the team is playing. We just went 1-1 on the road, visiting against two winning Texas teams. That's a good thing.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
BayAreaSportz
I hit open layups

I think for Monta Ellis to really become a star player, he has to be played as a point guard full time. I'd look for the Warriors to grab a big combo guard next draft, someone like a Evan Turner who has been compared to Brandon Roy or Joe Johnson. I think a guy like Turner can really bring out the best in Ellis. If they could, I'd move Stephen Curry for a draft pick next season to grab one of the many forwards in the draft like Paul George.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:27 AM   #8
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaSportz
I think for Monta Ellis to really become a star player, he has to be played as a point guard full time. I'd look for the Warriors to grab a big combo guard next draft, someone like a Evan Turner who has been compared to Brandon Roy or Joe Johnson. I think a guy like Turner can really bring out the best in Ellis. If they could, I'd move Stephen Curry for a draft pick next season to grab one of the many forwards in the draft like Paul George.

monta had 45 points but only 1 assist

a big wing player would be awsome joe johnson would be a great fit with the warriors have him at the 3 buike 2 and ellis 1

i think we will have enough money to offer him a good deal too(i doubt he takes it though)

trading curry seems unlikely given how much people in charge love him although trading him for pick in next years draft would be awsome i reading theres a lot of good big men in the upcoming draft
Old 12-01-2009, 04:43 PM   #9
LT Ice Cream
Warriors Til I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaSportz

Monta Ellis is definitely improving, but he is really a 2 guard more than a point guard. I can tell by watching him that he is not an instinctual passer. Whenever he takes over a game (like last night), he is never up there on assists. The Warriors need to get a true point guard and give Monta the green light to just score because thats what he naturally does best. Trying to make him the leader/point guard is taking him out of his element.
LT Ice Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #10
DV3

Talking Re: Monta Ellis improving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT Ice Cream
Monta Ellis is definitely improving, but he is really a 2 guard more than a point guard. I can tell by watching him that he is not an instinctual passer. Whenever he takes over a game (like last night), he is never up there on assists. The Warriors need to get a true point guard and give Monta the green light to just score because thats what he naturally does best. Trying to make him the leader/point guard is taking him out of his element.

I really don't understand how/why Marcus Williams never quite clicked for Golden State. He was perfect for the Warriors system, and just what they need right now.
DV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #11
BayAreaSportz
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT Ice Cream

And thats why he won't be a star player. If he plays the 2, all he'll be is an undersized shooting guard for the rest of his career. There aren't a lot of 6'3 SGs in the league that are even remotely close to being star players. Think of names like Leandhro Barbosa, Eddie House, Dejuan Wagner, Randy Foye, Delonte West, Juan Dixon, Luther Head, JJ Reddick, Dee Brown, Daniel Gibson, Flip Murray, Cuttino Mobley and Daniel Ewing. All these can score the ball.

Then, you look at the combo guards that have had success, they did it while playing the point guard position. Guys like Tony Parker, Allen Iverson (played PG for many years in Philly), Chauncy Billups or Gilbert Arenas.

Ellis isn't 6'4 or 6'5 like a Dwayne Wade or OJ Mayo and even those two has the abilities (handles) to play the point. Ellis doesn't. His ball handling is below even a shooting guard's standards and he getting by on his quickness right now.

This is a great article to read...

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba/nba-art...s-ar48824.html
Old 12-19-2009, 08:58 PM   #12
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

ellis leading the league in steals,also anyone notice he has been posting people up with good results

but with the good comes the bad hes leading the league in turnovers some games he has 2 or 3 most games he has 5 or 6 then you have games where he has 9 or 10 sometimes 13!

while we could excuse him like we do with nash except nash actually gets assists too

its not like monta gets stripped alot its that he just loses control of the ball alot he would be running and the ball will just fly out off his hands or just loses contol of it and goes to the defender
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: