Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 12-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
Baller4k96
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Baller4k96 has an OK reputation so far
Default You Know What Really Pisses Me Off?!

that ima sophmore and during summer leauge i did pretty good and went to camp everyday and did all this **** and now the ****en season comes and i get absolutely NO playing time at all even though i bust my ass out at practice and im always at practice and i dont start because he makes up some bull **** to all the guys that he thinks these are the best five and he only plays 7 guys out of 15 on the team and our pg plays the whole entire game. Another thing is that our coach loves our pg no matter what he does wrong he'l never sub him out even though we got 3 extra pgs sittin on the bench that would do anything for playing time. god ****en damn.
Baller4k96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
Permodius
I airball my layups

Permodius has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: You Know What Really Pisses Me Off?!

Oooooooh man, I know EXACTLY how you feel. My team's first game was this Tuesday, and I invited my father, his girlfriend, and my cousin to watch me play. I work my ass off in practice and actually am better than all the starters, but apparently since it is my first year I got absolutely NO playing time. I mean, it was hard enough that he put me in the game for the first time when we were in the 4th quarter and down by 30, but after 2 plays where I didn't even get to touch the ball and hustling on defense, what does he do? He subs me! I was so disappointed and ashamed of what happened, especially since my father; the man who I always try to make proud, was watching. It was embarrassing.

P.S Can someone help me?! I already verified my account but yet for some reason when I try to make a topic it says this:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Sorry for getting off topic, but google didn't help and I can't make a thread here asking for help, even in the right forum.

Last edited by Permodius : 12-02-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Permodius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
Baller4k96

Baller4k96 has an OK reputation so far

like idk how anyone can have it this bad. seriously. i dont get a sec of playing time. i have the first few games for 30 secs but today home game got 0. im so pissed. i want to quit and just play some rec leauge
Baller4k96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:05 AM   #4
HylianNightmare
Moe Harkless Bandwagon

HylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permodius
Oooooooh man, I know EXACTLY how you feel. My team's first game was this Tuesday, and I invited my father, his girlfriend, and my cousin to watch me play. I work my ass off in practice and actually am better than all the starters, but apparently since it is my first year I got absolutely NO playing time. I mean, it was hard enough that he put me in the game for the first time when we were in the 4th quarter and down by 30, but after 2 plays where I didn't even get to touch the ball and hustling on defense, what does he do? He subs me! I was so disappointed and ashamed of what happened, especially since my father; the man who I always try to make proud, was watching. It was embarrassing.

P.S Can someone help me?! I already verified my account but yet for some reason when I try to make a topic it says this:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Sorry for getting off topic, but google didn't help and I can't make a thread here asking for help, even in the right forum.
you have to have a certain amount of posts to create a topic.
and i remember my highschool team was very similar. you just have to relize that there are major politics in most schools sports teams, accept it and do your best to take advantage of when you guys play
HylianNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:10 AM   #5
ivienthol

ivienthol has an OK reputation so far

Welcome to high school ball. If you don't have a name most of the time or your parents aren't special, you don't get the breaks. It sucks but there's really nothing you can do. Maybe kiss the coach's ass and sit down with him to discuss what your feelings are and what your goals are. Do whatever you can so he keeps a closer eye on you (no homo though.. maybe).

Sometimes just working hard and being good isn't enough. Learn to politic. A) what's the worse that can happen and B) it'll help you in life anyway so may as well get started now.
ivienthol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
Permodius
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by HylianNightmare
you have to have a certain amount of posts to create a topic.
and i remember my highschool team was very similar. you just have to relize that there are major politics in most schools sports teams, accept it and do your best to take advantage of when you guys play

How many posts do I need to make a topic? This has been something that I really wanted to talk about.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:45 AM   #7
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permodius
How many posts do I need to make a topic? This has been something that I really wanted to talk about.

It's been kinda a long time for me, but I think 100's the magic number. Could be higher. It also took me a while to be able to create a topic here.

Well, that's ball. There's a lot of "drama" in high school ball, especially within the team. You have to learn to put up with it and defeat it by working hard and smart.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #8
MannyO
Super Cool E

MannyO has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baller4k96
that ima sophmore and during summer leauge i did pretty good and went to camp everyday and did all this **** and now the ****en season comes and i get absolutely NO playing time at all even though i bust my ass out at practice and im always at practice and i dont start because he makes up some bull **** to all the guys that he thinks these are the best five and he only plays 7 guys out of 15 on the team and our pg plays the whole entire game. Another thing is that our coach loves our pg no matter what he does wrong he'l never sub him out even though we got 3 extra pgs sittin on the bench that would do anything for playing time. god ****en damn.

SAME EXACT SITUATION FOR ME! Bust my ass in offseason, clinics and practice and I end up being an alternate.......
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #9
Lancerballer21
Serious playground baller

Lancerballer21 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
It's been kinda a long time for me, but I think 100's the magic number. Could be higher. It also took me a while to be able to create a topic here.

Well, that's ball. There's a lot of "drama" in high school ball, especially within the team. You have to learn to put up with it and defeat it by working hard and smart.

It's much less than a hundred cause i just got 100 a couple of weeks ago and i have been posting topics since like September.
Lancerballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:13 PM   #10
Permodius
I airball my layups

Oh. Thanks for the helps guys, this is going to take a while.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #11
Tassadar

Tassadar is considered somewhat coolTassadar is considered somewhat cool

every single one of you who is bitching about playing time should be on the court right now and not on a fucking messageboard trying for some sympathy bullshit. be a good teammate and do everything you can to help your team win, even if that just means getting the starters quality looks in practice.

I dont care how good you think you are, perception is reality and your coaches perception is that your not good enough to be on the floor. Fix his perception in practice by being so damn good he has no choice but to give you burn time...
---> and that does NOT necessarily mean "work harder" so much as it means "work smarter" or "work efficiently".
Tassadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:06 PM   #12
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivienthol
Welcome to high school ball. If you don't have a name most of the time or your parents aren't special, you don't get the breaks. It sucks but there's really nothing you can do. Maybe kiss the coach's ass and sit down with him to discuss what your feelings are and what your goals are. Do whatever you can so he keeps a closer eye on you (no homo though.. maybe).

Sometimes just working hard and being good isn't enough. Learn to politic. A) what's the worse that can happen and B) it'll help you in life anyway so may as well get started now.

Yeah, he's right. HS basketball revolves around people the coach knows through association or boosting. If I were you I'd play AAU ball, that's where the real competition is and you have a chance to prove yourself.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:30 PM   #13
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Politics can sometimes play a role in high school basketball, but I wouldn't be so quick to say that's what's occurring in this particular situation.

I have coached for 7 years on all levels and I can confidently say that I've seen the situation described by the original poster happen dozens of times. In most cases, our coach has made the right call. I will not judge your basketball skill, but I will say that I've seen my fair share of poor, average, and good basketball players who attend every camp possible that still come out lacking in the same departments. As such, attending team camps, clinics, and working hard unfortunately does not necessarily guarantee playing time.

This season, in fact, is the first time I've seen a club in our district featuring 17 varsity level players who all made a serious committment to basketball in the off-season. 15 of them are pretty good basketball players. Our bench will extend 10 deep on most nights, but that still leaves five players who will not see the court in a non-blowout (not including the two juniors sent down to JV).

The facts are that it is not feasible to play 15 players every night in a traditional system. There are a lot of times where good players just aren't going to get an opportunity. Though, it's largely true that if a player is THAT good (aka "excellent", "awesome", or "extraordinary") they will likely get an opportunity provided their head is screwed on straight.

My best peice of advice would be to hang in there. I really mean this when I say that every member of a basketball team is important. When you consider the alternative (quitting) I'd thinking that thriving in whatever role you're provided would be your best bet. If you're at the end of the bench, support your teammates the best you can, continue busting your butt in practice and keep a positive attitude. I think there's something to be said for the experience that comes with being apart of a team with your boys for four months.

Also, and I seperated this part because I didn't want to insinuate that it's inevitable, but in my district (realistically) over these past 7 years, I've probably seen at least one case a year where a player disgruntled over playing time quits only to see the player ahead of him on the depth chart suffer an injury or become academically ineligible. Moral: You never know when your opportunity will come.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:54 PM   #14
Maniak
... :\

Maniak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

You guys should be happy with your situation.

Sure you don't have playing time or anything, but there are rec leagues and stuff.

I only get ONE BASKETBALL LEAGUE ALL YEAR where I live.

I get lots and lots of burn(only because my team is small and sucks)

Just enjoy yourself. Play extra hard in practice and try to convince the bugger of a coach.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:12 PM   #15
1manfastbreak
just win

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Politics can sometimes play a role in high school basketball, but I wouldn't be so quick to say that's what's occurring in this particular situation.

I have coached for 7 years on all levels and I can confidently say that I've seen the situation described by the original poster happen dozens of times. In most cases, our coach has made the right call. I will not judge your basketball skill, but I will say that I've seen my fair share of poor, average, and good basketball players who attend every camp possible that still come out lacking in the same departments. As such, attending team camps, clinics, and working hard unfortunately does not necessarily guarantee playing time.

This season, in fact, is the first time I've seen a club in our district featuring 17 varsity level players who all made a serious committment to basketball in the off-season. 15 of them are pretty good basketball players. Our bench will extend 10 deep on most nights, but that still leaves five players who will not see the court in a non-blowout (not including the two juniors sent down to JV).

The facts are that it is not feasible to play 15 players every night in a traditional system. There are a lot of times where good players just aren't going to get an opportunity. Though, it's largely true that if a player is THAT good (aka "excellent", "awesome", or "extraordinary") they will likely get an opportunity provided their head is screwed on straight.

My best peice of advice would be to hang in there. I really mean this when I say that every member of a basketball team is important. When you consider the alternative (quitting) I'd thinking that thriving in whatever role you're provided would be your best bet. If you're at the end of the bench, support your teammates the best you can, continue busting your butt in practice and keep a positive attitude. I think there's something to be said for the experience that comes with being apart of a team with your boys for four months.

Also, and I seperated this part because I didn't want to insinuate that it's inevitable, but in my district (realistically) over these past 7 years, I've probably seen at least one case a year where a player disgruntled over playing time quits only to see the player ahead of him on the depth chart suffer an injury or become academically ineligible. Moral: You never know when your opportunity will come.

very well put. First off, you need to lose your sense of entitlement. You are only a sophomore. When i was a sophomore in hs, i was on varsity, and would practice with varsity, then jv afterwards. never really got tick, maybe a couple min here and there. I just tried to soak up everything the coach was saying and learn from the older players. By the time i was a jr, i took a starting spot from a senior and started every single game my jr and sr year.

It shouldn't even matter than you don't miss practice or anything, that should be a given. But you have to make sure you are learning and getting better in practice. simply just showing up does nothing for your game.

just stick with it, don't quit.
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: