Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Milwaukee Bucks Forum

Milwaukee Bucks Forum Milwaukee Bucks forum - Milwaukee Bucks message board

Old 12-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
Ian
Ahh, buck it.

Ian has decent reputation
Default Under .500...Are we in trouble?

I think so. But I'm going to stay optimistic, nonetheless...

The Bucks are now 9-10. We were at one point 5 games about .500. We're currently on a three-game skid, and ahead lies a tough stretch of games. Is it time to panic? Are the Bucks doomed to be under .500 for a long while, or dare I say....the rest of the season? Well, I hope not. I really, really hope not.

My pessimistic side thinks...

We're heading towards dangerous waters. Our powderpuff schedule is over. We're beginning to play the best teams in the NBA. We just got embarrassed by a solid Cleveland team at home. Next we play Boston (on the road), Toronto, and the Lakers. Yikes. None of those games are gimmies. The Bucks would be lucky to win two of those games.

Say we lose those three games. That puts as 4 under. If the Bucks sink lower than maybe 6 or 7 under .500, I just don't see them clawing back. We need to hover around .500 all season if we want a chance to make the playoffs.

My optimistic side thinks...

That this team has already surprised the hell out of me. I don't think any of us expected this team to start the season 8-3, no matter the schedule. We could've been 10-1 had they not choked in Chicago and had Dirk not been such a machine.

This team may have the will power to push through tough times and really bounce back. I'm very disappointed in Redd right now, but MAYBE, he comes back with a chip on his shoulder and really helps this team. It's a huge maybe, but you never know.

What does everyone think?
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
Hillabale
I airball my layups

Hillabale has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Under .500...Are we in trouble?

Skiles finally has the right starting forward combo, imo. I've wanted Ilyasova and LRMaM in there since preseason. Bogut needs to step it up and stop taking nights off.

Jennings... if ya ain't hitting, stop shooting. Funnel a few more looks to the big guys.
Hillabale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

Jasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

As long as Bogut is playing and is healthy , I'd say a combination of things can happen , and work with him.
Hammond trading away D. Johnson to Toronto I think was underminded , and took away a serious future of a PF.
However I wonder how long Hammond is going to hang onto Warrick ?

I think he is starter material along side Bogut , but I've always said Gadz could play PF if he was coached right , and not generate boneheaded fouls. .
I think every one is wondering how many shoots Jennings going to get night from Skiles , because his assist % looks good , but his shots don't.
With this in mind I think the key still lies in the player named Micheal Redd.
With this current bout of injuries and recovery , he will not go free agent on the Bucks next year , so they (Skiles & Hammond) will either need to work a trade , or start landscaping their offense around him to some extent.
---------------
So even you under .500 is probably a sure thing as it was prior to the season starting , I have to say the hole depends on how quickly Redd returns to form.
(I don't want to short change the Bucks as I did prior to the season starting , but you have to look at their depth and experience.

What I am wondering about is how come Skiles isn't giving Moute' more minutes ? (IT appears he is getting less than last year, and that doesn't make sense as a defensive stopper)
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:13 AM   #4
Ian
Ahh, buck it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillabale
Skiles finally has the right starting forward combo, imo. I've wanted Ilyasova and LRMaM in there since preseason. Bogut needs to step it up and stop taking nights off.

Jennings... if ya ain't hitting, stop shooting. Funnel a few more looks to the big guys.

I agree that we've got our 3 and 4 spots locked up. I like Ilyasova and Mbah a Moute starting. Obviously, Andrew is our starting 5 of the future (despite his last few garbage games). If we assume Jennings will be our starting PG of the future, it looks like we've got one big hole at the 2 spot...except not really...Redd is suppose to be an 'all-star', is he not?

I don't really know where I'm going with this...Basically what I'm trying to say is: we've got a really solid lineup on paper...and yet we're still getting beat pretty bad. Worries me a bit, but it's still early. I have faith.

Last edited by Ian : 12-08-2009 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
I don't really know where I'm going with this...Basically what I'm trying to say is: we've got a really solid lineup on paper...and yet we're still getting beat pretty bad. Worries me a bit, but it's still early. I have faith.

The problem is you dont have a solid lineup on paper. Bucks fans think that they do because its better than it used to be.

Besides Ridnour (who is your best basketball player) -
You have a rookie PG who is leveling out against decent opposition, 2 starting forwards that are 'bit' players on good teams, and a solid center. And the bench is really average too.

Its not a solid team at all. You need Jennings to mature a bit, Redd to average 20 PPG at good %'s, and to get a big upgrade at at least one forward spot.

Your decent record so far is due to a Jennings hot streak, Ridnour, and Skiles ability to turn mediocrity into something decent.

Give it 3 years for Jennings and hopefully Alexander to improve, and also to add a good forward and fill out the bench.
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #6
Ian
Ahh, buck it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-train
The problem is you dont have a solid lineup on paper. Bucks fans think that they do because its better than it used to be.

Besides Ridnour (who is your best basketball player) -
You have a rookie PG who is leveling out against decent opposition, 2 starting forwards that are 'bit' players on good teams, and a solid center. And the bench is really average too.

Its not a solid team at all. You need Jennings to mature a bit, Redd to average 20 PPG at good %'s, and to get a big upgrade at at least one forward spot.

Your decent record so far is due to a Jennings hot streak, Ridnour, and Skiles ability to turn mediocrity into something decent.

Give it 3 years for Jennings and hopefully Alexander to improve, and also to add a good forward and fill out the bench.

I should have been more specific, I was refering to our starting lineup, not our entire foster. The Bucks, as a whole, are not a solid team--I agree with you there. However this starting five (when all healthy and on their A-game) is solid in terms of a team in the Eastern Conference:

PG - Jennings
SG - Redd
SF - Mbah a Moute
PF - Ilyasova
C - Bogut

I'm not expecting too much from this team. If you look at my original post you'll notice that I see the chances of the Bucks getting back above .500 and maintaining pretty low.

I'll be very disappointed if the Bucks don't sneak into the playoffs this season because I know they could do it with experience and improvements. I wouldn't be shocked by any means if they didn't make it, though...
Old 12-09-2009, 11:17 PM   #7
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

Jasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Well maybe I just ate my words ... Moute got 40 minutes generated 16 points and 4 boards in a win over the Rapters.

It appears he's healthy and Skiles is giving him his due , well for at least this game.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
Ian
Ahh, buck it.

Luckily, my optimism paid off. At least for now.

The Bucks won two straight home games against teams that I didn't expect them to. Beating the Blazers in a 2OT thriller was huge for us.

Our next game is against the Lakers at home. Obviously a win against them would be out of this world. Not only would it push us to 12-11, but it would show the country that we're capable of beating the best team in the league...

...I don't want to get ahead of myself though. I don't expect us to beat them. I just want us to compete. I want to see how much heart this team has. I want to see how bad they want to win. I don't think I can handle another game like the one I saw against Cleveland--an absolute embarrassment.

Let's see what this team can do.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:24 AM   #9
winningfreak
I brick open layups

winningfreak has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Luckily, my optimism paid off. At least for now.

The Bucks won two straight home games against teams that I didn't expect them to. Beating the Blazers in a 2OT thriller was huge for us.

Our next game is against the Lakers at home. Obviously a win against them would be out of this world. Not only would it push us to 12-11, but it would show the country that we're capable of beating the best team in the league...

...I don't want to get ahead of myself though. I don't expect us to beat them. I just want us to compete. I want to see how much heart this team has. I want to see how bad they want to win. I don't think I can handle another game like the one I saw against Cleveland--an absolute embarrassment.

Let's see what this team can do.

remember if you do beat the lakers it's playing against a really beat up Kobe Bryant which is one of the big keys for that team... When kobe is not on the court that team dosen't have the same level of intensity so it could bring a big since of false hope.
winningfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #10
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

Well this past week really showed the flaws the Bucks as well as the coaching staff is doing.
Cav's game - first Bucks possession , Jennings dribbles the ball up the floor , never looks to start the offense or pass the ball , but takes in 2 seconds a top of the key 3 point shoot. (great way to set the tone of the game) and he MISSes.
Sac , make it's close , but the Kings record and stat's are far from the truth about this up and coming team. T. Evans is the real deal folks.

Redd is totally without lift , as you probably have noticed. It's not his conditioning , it's the injury , and it will take him a year to recover.
Do you think someone would trade for him .
Bucks just bought themselves a 17mill contract.

And lets not forget about Bogut playing as a rookie in the Cleveland game.
Just how many years has he played in the NBA and comes into a game in cleveland and makes how many fouls in how many minutes ?
I am pointing this out , because he is the cornerstone of the Bucks future and you have to play smart.

** Note : I think I will recreate or dig up the old thread about our forcast what will happen with the Bucks with their current roster.
My point is : Bogut is a legit starter and the rest are roll players and that includes Jennings , unless Skiles can get him to think pass pass pass , then shoot , otherwise he is following the prototype Allen Iverson type player.

Just imagine if the Bucks would of landed T. Evans instead of the Kings getting him.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: