Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 10-30-2006, 09:18 AM   #1
funkylikemonkey
Football In The Groin

funkylikemonkey has an OK reputation so far
Default ISH does the Nets well

Quote:
The New Jersey Nets have the strongest talent core in the division with Jason Kidd, Richard Jefferson and Vince Carter. Even though Kidd will be 34 in March, he is still among the best point guards in the NBA and does enable his teammates to perform at an optimal level. Richard Jefferson continues to develop his all-around game and Nenad Krstic and Jason Collins are healthy. This is the best starting five in the Atlantic Division and one of the best in the Eastern Conference.

I expect Vince Carter to have a career year. Carter has an option in his contract in which he can opt out of the final 2 years of his current deal and test the free agent market. Last season, Carter led the Nets in scoring averaging 24.2 points per game. It would be reasonable to expect that with his extra motivation, along with the desire of the Nets' coaching staff to run more, that he could average 26-27 points per game.

Another aspect of the Nets that is quite underrated is the team's unwavering commitment to defense. Opponents shot under 44 percent from the field last season and the team allowed the sixth fewest amount of points scored against them. Clearly, the players and coaching staff understand the importance of defense in creating a winning atmosphere.

The one major concern for the Nets is their bench. However, I expect the bench to perform competently. Although Clifford Robinson turns 40 in December, he can definitely provide some outside shooting off the bench. The Nets did receive bad news when they found out that Eddie House, a free agent acquisition from Phoenix, would need knee surgery for a torn meniscus. House had a career year in Phoenix last season in an up-tempo offense, and the Nets do intend to become more up-tempo this season. However, the Nets made a great late first round pick in the draft in June by selecting Connecticut's Marcus Williams. The point guard came from a winning atmosphere in college and will benefit from being Jason Kidd's understudy. At the same time, the Nets will benefit from Williams being able to spell Kidd some rest during the regular season and keep him fresh for the grueling postseason.

http://insidehoops.com/atlantic-preview-103006.shtml
funkylikemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:22 AM   #2
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

it's ISH and yet it's not ISH. for some reason i thought jeff would be doing it, not this other guy.

no offense to anybody but i don't see much of interest in this review. sounds like recycled material from a lot of other reviewers frankly.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:16 PM   #3
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default re

rehashed material or not, it is nice to see someone else likes the Nets
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:50 PM   #4
whaley82
High School JV MVP

whaley82 has decent reputation

I agree, Id rather that then somoene else that knows nothing about the nets saying they suck and are not an elite team in the East.
whaley82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:51 PM   #5
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

IlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

All the previews these days on the Nets sound the same.. More running, better Kristic, Carter contract year..bla bla. I just want the season to start and see how we play.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 03:02 PM   #6
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

well VC, i guess the review is nice just as someone saying "have a nice day" is nice. pleasant, but meaningless.

just about everyone i've read except hollinger has the nets as one of the top 4-5 teams in the east and the clear division-winner. what would be interesting to me is if someone went out on a limb and made some kind of gutsy prediction:

for example they might say "just like several other teams trying to imitate phoenix, the nets will try to run but will ultimately discover that they don't have the personnel. this will most likely result in their defense being destabilised and quite possibly one of their starters getting injured. this will create a big opportunity for another team to sieze the division title away."

or they could say "the nets made some brilliant but largely unheralded draft choices, and it will be enough to catapult them to the best record in the east. however, come playoff time, the bench's inexperience will show and the team will be knocked out. prediction: they will make it to the ECF or the finals."

...something like that.

one thing that's nice about hollinger and rosen is that they're so obviously wrong that it's kind of fun to rebutt them and (knock on wood) will be fun to see them eat their words at the end of the season. hehe.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:38 PM   #7
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default e

i know what you are getting at. how it is a good thing to be critical of your own team (and enjoy them at the same time) so this way you will never be disappointed when things don't go your way, and this way you can always self improve.

and it's not good to be a homer.

but people have not shown teh Nets ANY respect whatsoever in the mainstream media since Jason Kidd arrived.

a lot of people who follow them understand what is really going on, but everyone else just ignores them and says Kidd is old and washed up, Carter is a crybaby, RJ = Rgay, etc...

they have been so used to th eNets as a doormat for free wins, they still cannot get over the fact the Nets are good now.

that is what grinds my gears.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:57 PM   #8
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

IlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

nice reference to family guy.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:38 PM   #9
netsfan549
High School Starter

netsfan549 has decent reputationnetsfan549 has decent reputation
Default hey

he better like the nets
netsfan549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:30 AM   #10
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
but people have not shown teh Nets ANY respect whatsoever in the mainstream media since Jason Kidd arrived.

a lot of people who follow them understand what is really going on, but everyone else just ignores them and says Kidd is old and washed up, Carter is a crybaby, RJ = Rgay, etc...

they have been so used to th eNets as a doormat for free wins, they still cannot get over the fact the Nets are good now.

that is what grinds my gears.
fortunately i can't recall hearing that much, otherwise i'm sure i'd be as pissed as you about the sleights.

my memory is going otherwise i would be able to recall the sportwriters who called the nets the "east's elite" for a few years. it's possible that around the time detroit knocked them off to win the ECF, kidd had his knee injury and kmart was lost, that like a pack of coyotes they all turned on the nets. i was pretty depressed about the franchise right around that time so maybe i didn't notice their articles and what they had to say didn't bother me much. i'm prolly either lucky or just getting senile. =)
Old 10-31-2006, 06:44 AM   #11
funkylikemonkey
Football In The Groin

funkylikemonkey has an OK reputation so far

I've never really seen a franchise bounce back so quick. After Kmart's departure and Kidd's injury (keep in mind Krstic hadn't played an NBA game yet,) RJ was the team's sole player. He hadn't proven to be a leader and many people were counting us out as a 24-26 team. I even had a hard time thinking we would make the playoffs, but things turning around and we're back on top.
funkylikemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:21 AM   #12
gigantes
A piece of fluff

good point. it's like the events from a couple years ago were just a bad dream- easy to forget.

the mourning signing sure screwed this franchise up, but then the carter trade helped turn everything around. still hard to know what the GM in toronto was smoking... er, thinking.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:29 PM   #13
whaley82
High School JV MVP

whaley82 has decent reputation

I think he just wanted to get rid of him, make space so he could add different players and could give other players more money. But He must feel like ****, To see Carter tearin it up in the league now and regaining his respect that he lost over his last season or two as a craptor
whaley82 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: