Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-14-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
AAckley1
Decent playground baller

Default Strangest Stat of 09'-10' So Far

To me, the strangest/ most awe inspiring stat of this season has to be Channing Frye extending his range out to the 3 point line.

Before this season, Channing Frye had appeared in 278 games, and attempted 70 three pointers, making 20 of them, for a 28.5% shooting average.

In 24 games this season, Channing Frye has attempted 134 3s, and has made 59 of them, for a 44% shooting average. In essentially 1/10 the amount of games, Frye has made nearly 3x as many 3s.

I can't think for the life of me of anyone (especially a center) improving one aspect of their game so dramatically with actual evidence to support it like Frye has this year.

Can anyone else???
AAckley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
DuMa
Canned

Default Re: Strangest Stat of 09'-10' So Far

steve nash can make my grandma a respectable 3pt shooter. he is that good
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
FCN

A Small forward leading the league in rebounding has to rank up there
Old 12-14-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

The Pacers leading the league in blocks
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
AAckley1
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
The Pacers leading the league in blocks

Being from Indy (Pike HS graduate, current IU student), I am shocked to find this out. I'm really loving the takeover instinct that Hibbert is showing in flashes.

I attended the preseason game against the Spurs down here in Assembly (worst basketball arena of all time btw), and Hibbert was taking it right at Duncan with a nice array of moves.

Had me:
AAckley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAckley1
Being from Indy (Pike HS graduate, current IU student), I am shocked to find this out. I'm really loving the takeover instinct that Hibbert is showing in flashes.

I attended the preseason game against the Spurs down here in Assembly (worst basketball arena of all time btw), and Hibbert was taking it right at Duncan with a nice array of moves.

Had me:

He'd show it a lot more if Jim O'Brien didn't have the guy on such a short leash. Now that Granger's out it seems they're finally giving the young guys more minutes. I'm excited to see him against Howard tonight. Howard'll abuse him the same way he does every one else but I think Roy'll get his on offense.

And I'm glad someone else realizes how crappy Assembly Hall is. Granted, the atmosphere is outstanding, but the actual building is terrible if you're not in the lowest level. Horrible sightlines, and this weird claustrophobic feeling in the rafters thanks to that deep ceiling. That and if you're in the balcony and stand up you feel like you're about to plummet 60 feet to your death.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:35 PM   #7
mika
High School Varsity 12th Man

Quote:

I can't think for the life of me of anyone (especially a center) improving one aspect of their game so dramatically with actual evidence to support it like Frye has this year.

Can anyone else???
Didn't Matt Barnes do something similar when he went to Golden State? Haven't looked it up but I remember someone on here talking about how he improved his 3 point shooting drastically compared to when he was with Sacramento.
mika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:56 PM   #8
ChuckOakley
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
To me, the strangest/ most awe inspiring stat of this season has to be Channing Frye extending his range out to the 3 point line.

Before this season, Channing Frye had appeared in 278 games, and attempted 70 three pointers, making 20 of them, for a 28.5% shooting average.

In 24 games this season, Channing Frye has attempted 134 3s, and has made 59 of them, for a 44% shooting average. In essentially 1/10 the amount of games, Frye has made nearly 3x as many 3s.

Can anyone else???

Yi with 3 pointers.

1st year:
6-21 for 29%

2nd year:
48-140 for 34%

Not as dramatic, but similar.
ChuckOakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:58 PM   #9
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:

Can anyone else???
well, hes not really a 5. and there is another former portalnd pf who did the same thing later in his career (sheed). it wasnt as dramatic a change (not as time compressed)but it happened. A big part of that is him playing in a new system and with a different coach.

Same thing that Memo did when he moved to utah (compared to his LB year, not his rick carlisle year)
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #10
JG000
High School JV MVP

Quote:

Can anyone else???

Marvin Williams 3-pt shooting

07-08: 1-10 [10%]

08-09: 55-155 [35.5%]
JG000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:05 PM   #11
hwliuLAP
Local High School Star

Quote:

Had me:

OT: how was that IU vs PITS game
I go to IU as well, the only time I've been in the Assembly Hall has been for I-Core exams and Graduation, I heard it's good, is it that bad
hwliuLAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #12
kshutts1
Great college starter

Frye has always had range, just never got the minutes to showcase it. Keep in mind that he played A LOT his rookie year, then hardly since, until this season.. that's a season or two where he could have developed nicely, and we wouldn't know, since he never got PT.

It isn't like he was shooting at a 28.3% clip in the very last game of last season, and just dramatically changed it over the summer...
kshutts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:34 PM   #13
kumquat
College superstar

Frye has always been a jumpshooting big man with range. The only difference it's ok to chuck in Phoenix.
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #14
stephanieg
College superstar

Dwight 9.2 FGA/gm
stephanieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:51 PM   #15
Granny Danger
Kids at the park dunk on me

Last season he averaged 0,2 apg in 25 mpg