Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-10-2007, 09:46 AM   #1
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

Default Source: Chris Webber Bought Out

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/16424148.htm

Chris Webber apparently has played his last game with the 76ers. A source told the Daily News late last night that Webber and the Sixers had agreed on the terms of a buyout of the remainder of his contract, and that the details could be finalized as soon as today.

The source said that Webber, who will become a free agent, would give back less than $5 million in the deal. In his 14th NBA season, Webber is listed on the team's salary cap at $20,718,750 this season and is due $22,312,500 next season.

The Daily News first reported about the potential buyout on Saturday.

The deal will provide the Sixers with some salary-cap and luxury-tax relief and will clear a roster spot. Coupled with the release of rookie Steven Smith last week, the roster would stand at 13, two below the league limit.

The deal, whenever it is finalized, comes on the heels of the Sixers' blockbuster trade last month that sent Allen Iverson and since-waived rookie Ivan McFarlin to the Denver Nuggets for Andre Miller, Joe Smith and two first-round draft choices.

Webber, a five-time All-Star, was acquired from the Sacramento Kings on Feb. 23, 2005, with Michael Bradley and Matt Barnes in a trade for Kenny Thomas, Brian Skinner and Corliss Williamson. He appeared in 18 games this season and has been bothered recently by right ankle and foot problems; he did not appear in 10 of the last 13 games, including last night's 98-89 loss to the Detroit Pistons.

He has averaged 11.0 points, 8.3 rebounds and 3.4 assists in 30.2 minutes. He averaged 20.2 points, 9.9 rebounds and 3.4 assists in 38.6 minutes in 75 games last season, his most appearances since 1990-2000, when he also made it into 75 games with the Kings.

Asked earlier in the day about Webber's status, Sixers president/general manager Billy King said he will not comment to the media on players' contractual matters unless there is a change in status.

Webber was the No. 1 overall pick in the 1993 draft, selected by the Orlando Magic and traded to the Golden State Warriors. He spent one season with the Warriors, four with Washington and six-plus with the Kings. He came into this season with career averages of 21.6 points, 10.1 rebounds and 4.4 assists in 761 games.
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:22 AM   #2
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

C-Web

I think he can still play off the bench. But his ego won't allow him to do it.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

I wouldnt mind if the Knicks signed him for this season; as long as its not past 5 million and two years, his 8.3 rebounds would help the Knicks, and he could give some tips to Curry, Frye and Lee. The only negative would be that he takes away minutes from Curry, Frye, and Lee's development. It seems the Sixers are going to go all out to get Oden or Durant.
shafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:30 AM   #4
PleezeBelieve
#TeamOhio: 73-9

Come get a ring in Cleveland, Web. '07 can be yo year if you allow it to be.
PleezeBelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
BigTicket
Cavs for life

Really don't want Webber in cleveland to be honest.
BigTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:33 AM   #6
TheBynumProject
Byonic

I think he's done, though someone will definately sign him. Hopefully its not one of those buyouts where Philly pays him $$ for the next ten years or something like the Kemp buyout.

Wonder why I'm advocating non-guaranteed contracts? This **** is going to kill the L.

Last edited by TheBynumProject : 01-10-2007 at 10:36 AM.
TheBynumProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:48 AM   #7
dirkdiggler41
(no Dirk homer)

Mavs need a back-up PF. Some might call him a locker canser, but I dont see that happening if we keep winning
dirkdiggler41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:54 AM   #8
Brunch@Five
College superstar

I'd like to see him in either San Antonio or LA, he could really help their offenses if he limits his shots and works as a passer/faciliator mostly. In San Antonio he could also be a great relief for Tim.
I don't like him on the Mavs, he doesn't fit at all
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:46 AM   #9
TEXAS BATMAN
Retired.

The Mavs? No. Let him be somebody else's baggage. Just what we need. Another jumpshooter, doesn't rebound or play a lick of defense.

On a younger team though he could contribute, because on the post he can create passing lanes. But make no mistake. CWebb's washed up. Can't blame Philly for blowing up the team. How long before they ship Dalembert out?
TEXAS BATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:54 AM   #10
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

can the nets sign him for league minimum? Heck he'll be an upgrade over Jason Collins
ErhnamDjinn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:58 AM   #11
asd
High school junior varsity star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDjinn
can the nets sign him for league minimum? Heck he'll be an upgrade over Jason Collins

webber + nets = championship

book it!

DO It, C-WEBB!!!1
asd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:05 PM   #12
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

Quote:
Originally Posted by asd
webber + nets = championship

book it!

DO It, C-WEBB!!!1

I hope your joking : Even if they had signed SAR I doubt they would win it all. But CWebb is a big upgrade from what we have now, heck ill even have mutombo rather than what we have.
ErhnamDjinn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:17 PM   #13
dirkdiggler41
(no Dirk homer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXAS BATMAN
The Mavs? No. Let him be somebody else's baggage. Just what we need. Another jumpshooter, doesn't rebound or play a lick of defense.

On a younger team though he could contribute, because on the post he can create passing lanes. But make no mistake. CWebb's washed up. Can't blame Philly for blowing up the team. How long before they ship Dalembert out?

He avg. around 8rebounds as far as I remeber. We are talking about a back-up for dirk. Nothing else
dirkdiggler41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:20 PM   #14
asd
High school junior varsity star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDjinn
I hope your joking : Even if they had signed SAR I doubt they would win it all. But CWebb is a big upgrade from what we have now, heck ill even have mutombo rather than what we have.

C - Nenad Krstic
F - Chris Webber
F - Richard Jefferson
G - Vince Carter
G - Jason Kidd

This team would own.
asd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:23 PM   #15
funkylikemonkey
Football In The Groin

I really think Webber could be a cool facilitator of the motion offense in the post.
funkylikemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: