Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 02:32 AM   #16
Permodius
I airball my layups
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 73
Permodius has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Caught My First Dunk!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Going up with 2 hands you don't get nearly as high because you can't extend as much. I get about 3 or 4 inches lower when I go up with 2 hands... and btw I'm a 2 legged jumper so no it's not just a 1 leg thing.

It should only take a week or 2 running a couple games every few days to get it back... You really gain stuff back as fast as you lose it so don't worry.

Wow man, it's almost scary how right you were. 2 weeks ago I started playing basketball on a consistent basis again, and couldn't dunk. Now, like you said, just as fast as I lost my hops I got 'em back. In 2 weeks I went from not being able to dunk to now throwing it down off of one step gather and dunking it from the lay-up line again.
Permodius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:34 AM   #17
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic
 
Swaggin916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4,438
Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board
Default Re: Caught My First Dunk!!!

Yea... you can if you want

Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:13 AM   #18
Magic bird
The Banner
 
Magic bird's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Causeway Street
Posts: 1,094
Magic bird has decent reputation
Default Re: Caught My First Dunk!!!

Well Done!
Magic bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #19
MannyO
Super Cool E
 
MannyO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 767
MannyO has decent reputation
Default Re: Caught My First Dunk!!!

Hey guys, its been a while since Ive been on this forum. Now im dunking consistently and easily. Im going to put up another video when I get a chance.The only problem im having is dunking off 1 foot which I really want to do. In fact surprisingly I get up higher with my right leg than with my left leg, and caught a dunk with my left hand off 1 leg. But I want to learn how to catch it more consistently off one leg.
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:14 AM   #20
Marv_Albert
GUESS WHO'S BACK
 
Marv_Albert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,467
Marv_Albert has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Caught My First Dunk!!!

Running at full pace off one leg dunks are harrrrrd! anybody got a tip for these??
Marv_Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #21
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,146
Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Caught My First Dunk!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv_Albert
Running at full pace off one leg dunks are harrrrrd! anybody got a tip for these??
I might have to hear what exactly is tripping you up in order to be of any assistance. Either way, here are some general tips:

1. Speed Dribble: Place the ball in front of your body as you sprint. Oftentimes, when a player busts out into the open floor thinking about a dunk, their dribble remains close to their body and it does not allow them to stride out. Speaking of which . . .

2. Stride Out: In the open floor, make sure you're picking up your knees when you run and generally extending your legs. Basically, you want to get away from tip-toeing yourself all the way down the court with a close dribble while standing straight up. This will often lead to a dunk attempt with no spring.

3. Take Flight: Often, when running full speed in a game situation, it's easier to dunk from further away than we're used to. When I'm just warming up and dunking, or dunking in the half court, it usually involves a run-up from just outside the college three point line. On fast breaks in games, one's speed will allow for further take offs.

4. Power Steps: Take advantage of your two steps prior to takeoff. I have found an incredible difference between dunking while standing relatively upright and dunking with my body slightly lower to the ground. Experiment with dunking with a lower center of gravity.

More than anything, I'd suggest practicing trying to dunk off of sprints from half court. Keep the dribble low enough to prevent yourself from running straight up, make sure knees are bent, grab the rock like your life rests inside, and explode.

For a lot of folks, dunking and full speed dunking is second nature. I sort of have to work for it. As such, I'll throw about a number of different hypothetical scenarios when I'm working on it. Beginning from half court, I'll cross over, then explode. I'll hesitate, spin, and explode and so on and so forth.

Lastly, being in full speed sprinting shape is a big help.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #22
MannyO
Super Cool E
 
MannyO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 767
MannyO has decent reputation
Default Re: Caught My First Dunk!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I might have to hear what exactly is tripping you up in order to be of any assistance. Either way, here are some general tips:

1. Speed Dribble: Place the ball in front of your body as you sprint. Oftentimes, when a player busts out into the open floor thinking about a dunk, their dribble remains close to their body and it does not allow them to stride out. Speaking of which . . .

2. Stride Out: In the open floor, make sure you're picking up your knees when you run and generally extending your legs. Basically, you want to get away from tip-toeing yourself all the way down the court with a close dribble while standing straight up. This will often lead to a dunk attempt with no spring.

3. Take Flight: Often, when running full speed in a game situation, it's easier to dunk from further away than we're used to. When I'm just warming up and dunking, or dunking in the half court, it usually involves a run-up from just outside the college three point line. On fast breaks in games, one's speed will allow for further take offs.

4. Power Steps: Take advantage of your two steps prior to takeoff. I have found an incredible difference between dunking while standing relatively upright and dunking with my body slightly lower to the ground. Experiment with dunking with a lower center of gravity.

More than anything, I'd suggest practicing trying to dunk off of sprints from half court. Keep the dribble low enough to prevent yourself from running straight up, make sure knees are bent, grab the rock like your life rests inside, and explode.

For a lot of folks, dunking and full speed dunking is second nature. I sort of have to work for it. As such, I'll throw about a number of different hypothetical scenarios when I'm working on it. Beginning from half court, I'll cross over, then explode. I'll hesitate, spin, and explode and so on and so forth.

Lastly, being in full speed sprinting shape is a big help.

Hey do you know the technique for dunking on the break off 2 feet. I can dunk off 2 very easily but when Im on the break I feel I dont set my feet quick enough and the transition isnt smooth.
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #23
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,146
Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Caught My First Dunk!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO
Hey do you know the technique for dunking on the break off 2 feet. I can dunk off 2 very easily but when Im on the break I feel I dont set my feet quick enough and the transition isnt smooth.
I'd suggest three things:

1. Quick Feet
2. Low Dribble
3. Maintaining a low sense of gravity

I think it's important to recognize what kind of dunker you are (one-foot, two-foot, or able to pull off both). From the latter portion of 10th grade until age 19, I used to be an exclusive two-foot dunker. It was a lot of fun to pull off in practices and in layup lines, but it never worked very well for me in games.

Typically, what'd happen is I'd pick someone's pocket, race into the open floor, then take way too much time trying to figure out how I was going to try to rise off of two-feet for the cram. 9 out of 10 times trying to dunk off two feet on a fast break would either allow the defense to catch up to me and take me out or my feet would set way too hard and quickly, making me slip or have a rough transition like you mentioned.

As a result, I spent a hell of a lot of time re-training myself to become a one-footed dunker again. It turns out it's ten times easier to bust off dunks when it involves running as fast as possible and just rising, as opposed to having to worry about setting both feet while running at full speed. So if two foot dunking on breakaways is really providing you trouble, I'd suggest trying to make the switch over to one-foot dunks.

However, if two-foot dunking is what you have your heart set on, in addition to the three things mentioned above, I'd also suggest staying light on your feet. The only time I really dunk off two-feet these days is if I've found myself well ahead of the pack and can take my time. In those cases, I'm sure to make myself dribble low to the ground, half-crouching, as this loads my spring. I'm then conscious of staying on my toes and not trying to set my feet as hard as I used to.

Basically, a lot of the same principles for one-foot dunking applies for two-foot dunking. Both involve getting low and placing a low dribble ahead of you. Some folks just seem to be able to pull this off quite naturally. Here's a very natural example (notice the dribble, center of gravity, and slight hop-one-two step prior to takeoff): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v0DGY5aWog
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #24
MannyO
Super Cool E
 
MannyO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 767
MannyO has decent reputation
Default Re: Caught My First Dunk!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I'd suggest three things:

1. Quick Feet
2. Low Dribble
3. Maintaining a low sense of gravity

I think it's important to recognize what kind of dunker you are (one-foot, two-foot, or able to pull off both). From the latter portion of 10th grade until age 19, I used to be an exclusive two-foot dunker. It was a lot of fun to pull off in practices and in layup lines, but it never worked very well for me in games.

Typically, what'd happen is I'd pick someone's pocket, race into the open floor, then take way too much time trying to figure out how I was going to try to rise off of two-feet for the cram. 9 out of 10 times trying to dunk off two feet on a fast break would either allow the defense to catch up to me and take me out or my feet would set way too hard and quickly, making me slip or have a rough transition like you mentioned.

As a result, I spent a hell of a lot of time re-training myself to become a one-footed dunker again. It turns out it's ten times easier to bust off dunks when it involves running as fast as possible and just rising, as opposed to having to worry about setting both feet while running at full speed. So if two foot dunking on breakaways is really providing you trouble, I'd suggest trying to make the switch over to one-foot dunks.

However, if two-foot dunking is what you have your heart set on, in addition to the three things mentioned above, I'd also suggest staying light on your feet. The only time I really dunk off two-feet these days is if I've found myself well ahead of the pack and can take my time. In those cases, I'm sure to make myself dribble low to the ground, half-crouching, as this loads my spring. I'm then conscious of staying on my toes and not trying to set my feet as hard as I used to.

Basically, a lot of the same principles for one-foot dunking applies for two-foot dunking. Both involve getting low and placing a low dribble ahead of you. Some folks just seem to be able to pull this off quite naturally. Here's a very natural example (notice the dribble, center of gravity, and slight hop-one-two step prior to takeoff): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v0DGY5aWog

Exactly, I feel I always have to slow down a bit when going for the 2 foot takeoff. One thing I found strange was I can dunk off 1 foot but only with my left hand. I tried it two days ago and surprisingly I dunked it, but with the left. I dont mind being able to dunk with my left but I rather be able to dunk with my right because I would have more control of the ball being that its my dominant hand. Im trying to make the transition from 2 foot to 1 foot and I feel I can do it because I used to be able to get very high off 1.
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #25
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,146
Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Caught My First Dunk!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO
Exactly, I feel I always have to slow down a bit when going for the 2 foot takeoff. One thing I found strange was I can dunk off 1 foot but only with my left hand. I tried it two days ago and surprisingly I dunked it, but with the left. I dont mind being able to dunk with my left but I rather be able to dunk with my right because I would have more control of the ball being that its my dominant hand. Im trying to make the transition from 2 foot to 1 foot and I feel I can do it because I used to be able to get very high off 1.
I don't think that's highly unusual either. I have a left-handed friend who can only dunk with his right hand (while jumping off his left foot). Alas, since it's his off-hand, I can count his in-game dunks on one hand due to his general inability to control the ball in game situations. I'm thinking the off-hand dunking might have to do with one leg being stronger than the other.

Anyway, it's definitely possible to switch to the one-foot finish. It takes time, but it'll come. I'd practice with and without a ball, as flying without the rock seemed to allow me to concentrate on the dunking form and how to maximize my jump and how far I could take off from.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:51 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy