Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 12-14-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Default Randy Moss = quitter

Quote:
Fragile’ Moss threatens to set back Patriots

By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports

Tony Dungy said fragile “might be a good word” to describe Randy Moss(notes). And after watching Sunday’s 20-10 win over the Carolina Panthers, it seems to be a fitting description for the New England Patriots’ late-season momentum, too.

Only days after being sent home along with three other players for arriving late to a Wednesday meeting, Moss had one of the worst games of his career against the Panthers. His lone catch went for 16 yards and then ended with a fumble, which was recovered by Carolina. A second pass meant for Moss was intercepted. For much of the game after the turnovers, he was largely invisible, leading Dungy to agree with Dan Patrick’s characterization that Moss was mentally fragile. Dungy made the statement while working as an analyst during NBC’s pregame coverage on Sunday night. But that wasn’t even the harshest criticism. Moss got that from some Panthers players, who told the Boston Globe he quit during the course of New England’s win.

“We knew he was going to shut it down,” Panthers cornerback Chris Gamble(notes) told the Globe. “That’s what we wanted to do to him. That’s what we did. … He’d just give up a lot.”

Added Panthers safety Chris Harris(notes) to the Globe: “I know everyone who plays against him, they can sense that. Once you get into him in the beginning of the game, he shuts it down a little bit.”

It’s not the first time Moss has been dogged by the “quitter” label. He raised eyebrows at times in his latter years in Minnesota, rounding off routes or seemingly running in a lower gear at times. And he was questioned more than a few times in Oakland as being a player who would take multiple plays off during games. But this is the first time opposing players have been so publicly brazen in their criticism of it. And the fact that it comes on the heels of Moss being sent home from practice only adds fuel to the perception.

In the larger view, it makes you wonder if Moss was being alluded to when quarterback Tom Brady(notes), who following the loss to Miami, said “I don’t think we fight very hard.” Even when he had a chance to back off those comments on his weekly radio appearance on Boston’s WEEI, he reiterated the stance that at times, the “digging deep” that used to define the Patriots wasn’t always showing up.

Brady’s had a few semi-heated moments talking to offensive players this season, and on some occasions, Moss was present and on the other side of Brady’s glare.

Then on Wednesday, Moss gets sent home – something Dungy seemed to openly question during the NBC broadcast.

“Randy Moss played a poor game,” Dungy said. “It probably started early in the week. I coached 13 years as a head coach. I’ve reprimanded guys. I’ve fined guys. I never sent a guy home from practice. I think that had to impact Moss.”

If anything, that this all continues to come up after a win suggests this is going to be a problem that will dog this team right through the final month of the season. For the most part, Moss has avoided the media barbs in Boston that plagued him in Minnesota and Oakland. That won’t happen anymore. His every play will be under the microscope the remainder of the season, right alongside his relationship with Brady and the players around him. If he is checking out, it will be exposed and showcased.

You have to think this is another example of the lost locker room leadership rearing its head. It’s not like Moss is the first complex and sometimes volatile personality to come through New England. But he is certainly on the verge of becoming the first one that had the potential to undermine the Patriots’ success. While linebacker Adalius Thomas(notes) has been lumped into the group of problem children, his impact can be minimized. He can be deactivated, as he was Sunday. Moss cannot. He’s too vital to the ultimate success of this team. That offense simply can’t function at an elite level without him.

A week ago, we questioned whether the Patriots had lost their aura and ability to intimidate. Now some opponents have come out and called their star receiver a quitter – an act that seemingly answers the question. Clearly, some fragility is creeping in. The only question is, how far will it reach, and can the Patriots do anything to change it?

And people here have argued Moss > Rice.

And you know what? F*ck stats, but give me Michael Irvin over Randy Moss. Irvin is someone you go to war with and know he has your back. Irvin may have had his off the field issues, but when the shyt hit the fan? He showed up. This dude? He's running.

Moss is talented but I dont wanna hear nor ever see fans saying he is the best WR of all time or even arguable. He's clearly not. He has no heart. And if anyone thinks Moss will take these newspaper clippings as motivation? Think again. He aint built like that at all.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
beasly15
TEXANS

Default Re: Randy Moss = quitter

moss has incredible talent, but as long as he keeps pulling crap like this.. he's alright with me.

one down, welker to go...
beasly15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

This is ridiculous. Moss is playing with a top 5 QB in the league and a team that went 16-0 a few years ago. What the hell is his excuse for quitting? What a bytch......
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
And you know what? F*ck stats, but give me Michael Irvin over Randy Moss. Irvin is someone you go to war with and know he has your back. Irvin may have had his off the field issues, but when the shyt hit the fan? He showed up. This dude? He's running.

Moss is talented but I dont wanna hear nor ever see fans saying he is the best WR of all time or even arguable. He's clearly not. He has no heart. And if anyone thinks Moss will take these newspaper clippings as motivation? Think again. He aint built like that at all.

How do you think guys like Irvin and Rice would respond on the field if they were disrespectfully sent home for being late to practice? I'm not absolving Moss for his actions, but if some of the other all-time great were dealt with in the same manner as Moss earlier this week, they not have been much different

Last edited by Tarik One : 12-14-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
How do you think guys like Irvin and Rice would respond on the field if they were disrespectfully sent home for being late to practice?

Where is the white text in this post saying "j/k"

I dont think Rice nor Irvin has ever been late to practice. And if either were sent home for being late it would piss them off but not to the point they dog it/quit on thier team. That I do know. Rice is the same guy who snapped on news reporters who tried to praise him and went off citing other guys who played a big part in the win. And how they dont get that its a team game and give these other dudes the proper respect for thier performance/play as well. I've seen Irvin rally the troops. So I cant see either pulling the same stunt Randy did in the same situation. And anyone who followed those two careers couldnt see it either.

Why would you use 2 known players with GREAT work ethics and passion for the game? Beyond me. Brain freeze?
Old 12-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
but if some of the other all-time great were dealt with in the same manner as Moss earlier this week, they not have been much different

And you're so wrong its not even funny. Cut that BS out acting like other greats with KNOWN WORK ETHITCS would have responded the same way Moss did. Pardon my french but f*ck outta here.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

I still think talent wise Moss is the GOAT...

but yeah, heart wise, probably not even near the top 100...it did seem like he had cleaned up his act some since the Raider days...wtf

yeah if I had to start my team with any WR, it would probably be Rice, and yeah I would probably even think about Irvin over him too, no question...

If I get the "best"..."100%"...ect...out of them, give me Moss...

him and 3 other players were actually caught in a real snow storm in traffic though...I forget who it was but one of them went off on Belichik live on ESPN, talking out how he was dumb founded and doesn't want to betreated like a child...ect...
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
I still think talent wise Moss is the GOAT...

but yeah, heart wise, probably not even near the top 100...it did seem like he had cleaned up his act some since the Raider days...wtf

yeah if I had to start my team with any WR, it would probably be Rice, and yeah I would probably even think about Irvin over him too, no question...

If I get the "best"..."100%"...ect...out of them, give me Moss...

him and 3 other players were actually caught in a real snow storm in traffic though...I forget who it was but one of them went off on Belichik live on ESPN, talking out how he was dumb founded and doesn't want to betreated like a child...ect...

Adalius Thomas, and then he was deactivated for Sunday's game.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #9
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/st...s.html?ref=rss

^^^ here is an article about Moss being late that day with 3 others because of snow...and I bet this is Moss tryhing to get back at Bill for what he did...

Patriots' Thomas lashes out at coach Belichick

Quote:
Adalius Thomas wasted no time defending himself after coach Bill Belichick sent him home for being late to a team meeting.

The New England Patriots linebacker said after returning Thursday that he was "dumbfounded" and "can't figure out what Bill thinks or knows."

Three other players were sent away for showing up late on Wednesday — wide receiver Randy Moss and linebackers Gary Guyton and Derrick Burgess. All four were at practice on Thursday, but the other three declined to speak with reporters.

Thomas, a starter in nine games this year, called ahead on a snowy Wednesday morning, as players are instructed to do when they're going to be late, he said. Traffic was tied up and he nearly got into an accident, he said. But when he showed up about nine minutes late for an 8 a.m. team meeting, Belichick told him to leave.

That surprised him.

"You're told to call and you call, you get sent home," Thomas said.

"That's not an excuse," he said, but "I could have been in the ditch. They really don't give a damn, honestly. As long as you ain't in the meeting they really don't give a [expletive]."

The situation arose at a critical time for the Patriots (7-5) and could be a distraction heading into Sunday's game in Foxborough against the Carolina Panthers (5-7). New England's AFC East lead is down to one game after losses in three of the last four games.

"Your focus should be on Carolina, but instead it's on this whole topic of being late," Thomas said.

Patriots players rarely question Belichick publicly, often echoing his bland comments about their performances and upcoming opponents. But this isn't the first time Thomas has been upset. Belichick didn't activate him for a 59-0 win over the Tennessee Titans on Oct. 18 even though he was healthy.

When asked three days after that game why he was benched, Thomas said, "Ask Bill. He has all the answers."

Thomas, 32, is in the third year of a five-year contract he signed after becoming a free agent following seven seasons with the Baltimore Ravens in which he had 38½ sacks. He had 11½ sacks the past two years but has been inconsistent this year with 27 tackles and three sacks.

Belichick said at the time he activates players who he feels give the Patriots the best chance to win. The Titans were 0-6 after that loss. Thomas has had two sacks since then.

"There's a lot of things that go on that you're dumbfounded by," Thomas said. "I just roll with the punches."

He scoffed at the idea that Belichick sent him home Wednesday to motivate him.

"Motivation is for kindergarteners. I'm not a kindergartener," he said. "Sending somebody home, that's like, 'Oh, you're expelled,' and come back and make good grades. Get that [expletive] out of here. That's ridiculous."

Thomas admitted that he doesn't watch the weather report. Then, just before he changed the subject to Sunday's game, another veteran strolled by the pack of reporters surrounding him.

^^^ If Moss had been saying all the things that I just highlighted, it would be all over the media...

I think Moss kept his mouth shut about it, and just decided not to play on gameday to try and show up Bill...JMO

and for the record, if I am right about that then yeah that is just horrible on Moss's part...
Old 12-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #10
niko
I Run NY.

People comparing Moss vs. the other all time greats is ridiculous. Talent wise? SURE. Balls? Desire? PLEASE.

I've seen Randy Moss stop routes (and not once) so he wouldn't get hit. In the Giants destruction of the Vikings in a playoff game a few years back he not only did this (leading to a return for a touchdown) he stopped running his routes after the 2nd qtr. People saying "well he's frustrated", wtf. I am not saying you need to play balls out when you are losing but you have nothing else you can do during the game, why not play. And anyone who saw him this week with him not running routes, not trying, and standing on the sideline making the face my daughter makes when i won't give her cake (and ignoring Brady) and saying he's just frustrated is really rationalizing.

He is a superlative talent who tries hard about 70% of the time when he's happy and 20% of the time when he's not. He'd be the greatest of all time if he tried hard all the time and really cared, but HE DOESN'T. It's not close to debatable.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Im a little suspicious of patriots being labeled as cancers all of a sudden.. Adalius Thomas and now Moss.. Not saying they arent disruptive but I wasnt hearing this until they stop winning... now there are all these cancers in the locker room....

Moss has always been a quitter to a degree... is he really now having a relapse or are the excuses starting to fly around...

I do agree though that moss is not anywhere the trooper jerry rice or Michael Irvin was....

those 2 would have played even better (after this episode), never would they quit.... they wouldnt quit on the team and they wouldnt even allow somebody else to talk about quitting
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #12
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/st...s.html?ref=rss

^^^ here is an article about Moss being late that day with 3 others because of snow...and I bet this is Moss tryhing to get back at Bill for what he did...

Patriots' Thomas lashes out at coach Belichick

^^^ If Moss had been saying all the things that I just highlighted, it would be all over the media...

I think Moss kept his mouth shut about it, and just decided not to play on gameday to try and show up Bill...JMO

and for the record, if I am right about that then yeah that is just horrible on Moss's part...

Thomas is right.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #13
niko
I Run NY.

Did any of you actually watch him EVER or are you just reading articles? He regularly takes plays off or breaks off routes to avoid contact if he doesn't feel like it. WHen things are bad, he does it often, when things good, not as much. You are acting like the Bellicheck thing was the trigger, he did the same LAST week, anyone remember the pick against the Dolphins as Moss just STOPPED on the route?

This is not a one time incident, not even on the Pats. And even if Bellicheck was 100% wrong, last i looked you don't get to stop working when you don't like a mgmt decision.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #14
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
Im a little suspicious of patriots being labeled as cancers all of a sudden.. Adalius Thomas and now Moss.. Not saying they arent disruptive but I wasnt hearing this until they stop winning... now there are all these cancers in the locker room....

Moss has always been a quitter to a degree... is he really now having a relapse or are the excuses starting to fly around...

I do agree though that moss is not anywhere the trooper jerry rice or Michael Irvin was....

those 2 would have played even better (after this episode), never would they quit.... they wouldnt quit on the team and they wouldnt even allow somebody else to talk about quitting

Yeah i wouldnt call the Ne Pats quitters or cancers. Heck I wouldnt say Moss is a cancer. Just found it funny Carolina got in his ass and opposing players said dude mailed it in. Packed his things early and said "f*ck this."

Media is probably gonna look for stories to print since NE isnt winning. Stir up some controversy and have everyone talkin.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #15
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Did any of you actually watch him EVER or are you just reading articles? He regularly takes plays off or breaks off routes to avoid contact if he doesn't feel like it. WHen things are bad, he does it often, when things good, not as much. You are acting like the Bellicheck thing was the trigger, he did the same LAST week, anyone remember the pick against the Dolphins as Moss just STOPPED on the route?

This is not a one time incident, not even on the Pats. And even if Bellicheck was 100% wrong, last i looked you don't get to stop working when you don't like a mgmt decision.
Moss went into that game yesterday leading the NFL in recieveing...

kinda hard to say he was quitting on them when he was doing better than anyone else was...

but yeah I am fully aware of what went down in Oakland...

Moss certain didn't take off plays when him and Brady shattered records and went undefeated though...
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: