Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2009, 02:18 AM   #31
TMac&Luther
Karl Malone's bastard
 
TMac&Luther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,440
TMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Can Shane Battier dunk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allball
Outstanding? dude he hasn't averaged more than 10 a game since his rookie year. he shot .410 last year and is shooting .400 this year. he's an 8 PPG 4 reb playoff performer for his career.

the Rockets gave up Rudy Gay for this stiff who is a good defender but doesn't do nearly enough to be called outstanding.

Scottie Pippen was outstanding. Grant Hill was outstanding. Turkoglu and Rashard Lewis are very good. Shane is the definition of an average role player. yeah he plays d but this guy was a college player of the year and a number 6 pick.

a 6'8" wing who won't throw it down for his team cause it's not his style? that's a disgrace.

LMAO, you apparently know nothing about basketball intangibles. Battier is a championship caliber glue guy. Sad thing is, he's never been surrounded by championship caliber players. Yes, Batter can't jump out of the fucking gym like Rudy Gay.......but guess what? Houston isn't winning 50 games with fucking Rudy Gay either. (BTW, has Rudy Gay ever even played on a 50 game winning team before?) Which is something Houston has done year in and year out since they made the trade for Battier regardless of which star "stat sheet filling up" player ended up on I.R. for the season. Sad thing is without Yao and pretty much without McGrady, Battier will still help lead this team to a 50+ game winning season...he just makes winning plays.

But NO!!!, We should've kept Rudy Gay who hasn't done jack shit in this league (but man, he sure can dunk. ) The last time Memphis was even relevant is when they had Shane Battier on their roster. The last time they even sniffed a 50 game winning season was with Shane Battier. Infact they made the playoffs for 3 consecutive years with Battier (only years Battier has not been in the playoffs during his career was his rookie and sophomore seasons) and then the second they traded him, they went from a 49 game winning playoff season to having the worst damn record in the league.......and they've been stuck there ever since. But But But...Rudy Gay flies so high. Wow when he runs by, the gust of air blows panties off the chicks in the cheap seats. Too bad he can't do what really matters......like win basketball games and get his team to the playoffs, but damn the stats are sexy.

Last edited by TMac&Luther : 12-17-2009 at 02:52 AM.
TMac&Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:18 AM   #32
Scribbles
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can Shane Battier dunk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allball
Outstanding? dude he hasn't averaged more than 10 a game since his rookie year. he shot .410 last year and is shooting .400 this year. he's an 8 PPG 4 reb playoff performer for his career.

the Rockets gave up Rudy Gay for this stiff who is a good defender but doesn't do nearly enough to be called outstanding.

Scottie Pippen was outstanding. Grant Hill was outstanding. Turkoglu and Rashard Lewis are very good. Shane is the definition of an average role player. yeah he plays d but this guy was a college player of the year and a number 6 pick.

a 6'8" wing who won't throw it down for his team cause it's not his style? that's a disgrace.

You do know that a role player that plays above average defense and can hit the 3 pt shot on offense is worth at least MLE right?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:20 AM   #33
allball
National High School Star
 
allball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Spring, TX (H-town)
Posts: 2,101
allball has decent reputationallball has decent reputation
Default Re: Can Shane Battier dunk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
You a stat junkie? As a player given his ROLE ... he's outstanding.

not at all. but he's not outstanding in his role. Michael Cooper was outstanding in his role and put up similar numbers. but he was a bench player and Coop would throw down a back breaking dunk every now and then.

Maybe I watched too much Scottie Pippen in my day...sorry.



allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:22 AM   #34
HighFlyer23
National High School Star
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,020
HighFlyer23 is considered somewhat coolHighFlyer23 is considered somewhat coolHighFlyer23 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Can Shane Battier dunk?

lmao @ pip being a mere role player
HighFlyer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:37 AM   #35
Cork5
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27
Cork5 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Can Shane Battier dunk?

stats aren't the sole measure of basketball skill you know
Cork5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:58 AM   #36
allball
National High School Star
 
allball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Spring, TX (H-town)
Posts: 2,101
allball has decent reputationallball has decent reputation
Default Re: Can Shane Battier dunk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac&Luther
LMAO, you apparently no nothing about basketball intangibles. Battier is a championship caliber glue guy. Sad thing is, he's never been surrounded by championship caliber players. Yes, Batter can't jump out of the fucking gym like Rudy Gay.......but guess what? Houston isn't winning 50 games with fucking Rudy Gay either. (BTW, has Rudy Gay ever even played on a 50 game winning team before?) Which is something Houston has done year in and year out since they made the trade for Battier regardless of which star "stat sheet filling up" player ended up on I.R. for the season. Sad thing is without Yao and pretty much without McGrady, Battier will still help lead this team to a 50 game + winning season...he just makes winning plays.

But NO!!!, We should've kept Rudy Gay who hasn't done **** in this league (but man, he sure can dunk. ) The last time Memphis was even relevant is when they had Shane Battier on their roster. The last time they even sniffed a 50 game winning season was with Shane Battier. Infact they made the playoffs for 3 consecutive years with Battier (only years Battier has not been in the playoffs during his career was his rookie and sophomore seasons) and then the second they traded him, they went from a 49 game winning playoff season to having the worst damn record in the league.......and they've been stuck there ever since. But But But...Rudy Gay flies so high. Wow, when he runs by the gust of air blows panties off the chicks in the cheap seats. Too bad he can't do what really matters......like win basketball games and get his team to the playoffs, but damn the stats are sexy.

good try. but Memphis had many issues besides Battier leaving. Gasol had injuries the next year and then he left the next. you think Battier staying was going to save that team? they lost several role players that next year and a lot of scoring.

if you swapped Rudy and Shane right now, you think Memphis would win 50 games? the Rockets would still have a solid defender in Ariza who could stop jacking so many shots and still be just as effective and Gay could give them offense and some decent defense playing with a better coach and guys like Hayes, Landry and Scola. with Rudy and Ariza the Rockets would be just as good if not better.


guys like Battier are much easier to replace than guys like Gay. and Rudy can do a lot more than just dunk...but he can and will dunk.

also the year Memphis won 50 games they had James Posey. they never rose above that level with Battier and I do believe in Shane's rookie year (like Rudy's) Memphis only won like 24 games and they were near awful the next year with Shane on their roster.
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:03 AM   #37
allball
National High School Star
 
allball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Spring, TX (H-town)
Posts: 2,101
allball has decent reputationallball has decent reputation
Default Re: Can Shane Battier dunk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyer23
lmao @ pip being a mere role player

didn't mean to imply that. the guy initially said outstaning player not role player. he did start out as a role player though.

Dennis Rodman was an OUTSTANDING role player and he rarely scored. this aint about stats. it's about playing with balls.

I only brought up stats cause the guy said he was an outstanding player. even not considering stats Shane is complimentary at best. there's nothing outstanding about him.

Last edited by allball : 12-17-2009 at 03:12 AM.
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:15 AM   #38
TMac&Luther
Karl Malone's bastard
 
TMac&Luther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,440
TMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Can Shane Battier dunk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allball
good try. but Memphis had many issues besides Battier leaving. Gasol had injuries the next year and then he left the next. you think Battier staying was going to save that team? they lost several role players that next year and a lot of scoring.

if you swapped Rudy and Shane right now, you think Memphis would win 50 games? the Rockets would still have a solid defender in Ariza who could stop jacking so many shots and still be just as effective and Gay could give them offense and some decent defense playing with a better coach and guys like Hayes, Landry and Scola. with Rudy and Ariza the Rockets would be just as good if not better.


guys like Battier are much easier to replace than guys like Gay. and Rudy can do a lot more than just dunk...but he can and will dunk.

also the year Memphis won 50 games they had James Posey. they never rose above that level with Battier and I do believe in Shane's rookie year (like Rudy's) Memphis only won like 24 games and they were near awful the next year with Shane on their roster.

What the hell does Posey have to do with this.....um Battier was on that team too But let me guess, that glue guy gets props, but Battier is just a bum. Must be, because Posey dunks huh?

Also Gasol played 60 games during that train wreck of a season.....still doesn't explain having the worst record in the league after being in the playoffs the year before. If Rudy Gay was half as good as you're trying to make him, his talent would've picked up the other 20 games.

Rudy Gay puts up empty #s.......THOSE PLAYERS are easy to find. I haven't regretted that trade one single day since it happened. Rudy Gay is not a winner, he's Tmac with healthy - the elite scoring ability. All flash, no substance. Who the fuck cares about a player who puts up empty stats on a shitty team year in and year out? I'll take the "stiff" that plays on a winning team year in and year out, even if he goes unnoticed by people who act like you have to be able to dunk a ball to be good in this league.

I could really care less about Rudy Gay.....honestly, you would've been better served bringing up any player except him. I have never liked that guy....he's a natural born loser.

Last edited by TMac&Luther : 12-17-2009 at 03:18 AM.
TMac&Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:18 AM   #39
kap
Great young streetballer
 
kap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: 323
Posts: 580
kap has decent reputation
Default Re: Can Shane Battier dunk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac&Luther




Umm, yeah....Battier can dunk. He had a pretty good one this season. He just doesn't do it very often, it's not his style.

BTW, Scola can dunk too, but he also doesn't do it very often.......not his style either. Both players are content with just laying it off the backboard.

looks like he's literally taking a **** on the kobster
kap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:19 AM   #40
HighFlyer23
National High School Star
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,020
HighFlyer23 is considered somewhat coolHighFlyer23 is considered somewhat coolHighFlyer23 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Can Shane Battier dunk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap
looks like he's literally taking a **** on the kobster

HighFlyer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:26 AM   #41
Lakeshow23
I hit open layups
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 176
Lakeshow23 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Can Shane Battier dunk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap
looks like he's literally taking a **** on the kobster
Lakeshow23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:32 AM   #42
allball
National High School Star
 
allball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Spring, TX (H-town)
Posts: 2,101
allball has decent reputationallball has decent reputation
Default Re: Can Shane Battier dunk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac&Luther
What the hell does Posey have to do with this.....um Battier was on that team too But let me guess, that glue guy gets props, but Battier is just a bum. Must be, because Posey dunks huh?

Also Gasol played 60 games during that train wreck of a season.....still doesn't explain having the worst record in the league after being in the playoffs the year before. If Rudy Gay was half as good as you're trying to make him, his talent would've picked up the other 20 games.

Rudy Gay puts up empty #s.......THOSE PLAYERS are easy to find. I haven't regretted that trade one single day since it happened. Rudy Gay is not a winner, he's Tmac with healthy - the elite scoring ability. All flash, no substance. Who the fuck cares about a player who puts up empty stats on a shitty team year in and year out? I'll take the "stiff" that plays on a winning team year in and year out, even if he goes unnoticed by people who act like you have to be able to dunk a ball to be good in this league.

I could really care less about Rudy Gay.....honestly, you would've been better served bringing up any player except him. I have never liked that guy....he's a natural born loser.

dude Rudy is in his 3rd year. Rockets have more veteran talent than Memphis. Gay is playing with Mayo, Conley, Gasol and Thabeek all young players and they are pretty competitve right now for a young team.

so how many wins does Battier add to that 22 win team? hmm

Rudy is relevant because that's who he was traded for.

I brought up Posey because he was more crucial to that team than Shane.

hey cool if Shane's your guy, I'm sorry.
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:34 AM   #43
allball
National High School Star
 
allball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Spring, TX (H-town)
Posts: 2,101
allball has decent reputationallball has decent reputation
Default Re: Can Shane Battier dunk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap
looks like he's literally taking a **** on the kobster

Kobe's not even paying attention as if play has stopped.
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:50 AM   #44
allball
National High School Star
 
allball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Spring, TX (H-town)
Posts: 2,101
allball has decent reputationallball has decent reputation
Default Re: Can Shane Battier dunk?

championship caliber glue guys:

Rick Fox
Ron Harper (in his later years)
Gary Payton
James Posey
Tayshaun Prince
Michael Cooper
Joe Dumars
Bobby Jones
Bruce Bowen
Dennis Johnson
Don Chaney
Dennis Rodman
Scottie Pippen (glue and then some)
Maurice Cheeks
Walt Frazier (great on both ends)

Last edited by allball : 12-17-2009 at 03:54 AM.
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:37 AM   #45
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,992
Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Can Shane Battier dunk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh

Still doesn't negate the fact that I haven't been infactuated with everything "dunk" related since I was six, seven, and MAYBE eight years old.

It's such a miniscule aspect to the game.
I agree that Shane Battier is a pretty darn good player considering his role and I agree it's not necessary by any means that he dunk to justify his ability.

However, I must admit that I am much older than eight and I still absolutely love the dunk. For me, it's one of my favorite moments in all of sports and a big part of what makes basketball so entertaining.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:33 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy