Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-19-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
cotdt
Dishonest, awful excuse of a fan

Default Are the Cleveland Cavaliers better than last season?

To me, this season the Cavs look worse than last season. Lebron and Shaq have poor chemistry. These players' playing styles don't complement one another. If you look at the 2009 All-Star game, the Kobe/Shaq combo was FAR more potent.

The Cavs are unlikely to win the championship this year, especially if you look at Ilgauskas who has declined from last year. The management needs to make some risky-with-high-payoff trades, or Lebron is going to walk.
cotdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Are the Cleveland Cavaliers better than last season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt
If you look at the 2009 All-Star game, the Kobe/Shaq combo was FAR more potent.

Of course, they played together from 1996-2004 plus Shaq was his team's 1st/2nd option throughout the 2008-2009 season so he was a lot more involved in the offense and playing at a higher level that year. Not really a fair comparison IMO.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Is this guy actually using an All Star game as some sort of proof of anything?

I actually think Shaq and Lebron have great on-court (and off-court) chemistry, Lebron has found Diesel with some nice passes and vice-versa with Lebron's cut to the baskets. There's 2 main problems:

1) Mike Brown is an incompetent offensive coach. He's proven this time and time again, he knows defensive schemes like the back of his hand (doesn't always get matchups right though, see Lebron guarding Rafer Alston last year) but his onlt offensive sets seem to be Lebron top-of-the-key iso and pick and rolls. Shaq started out the season looking sluggish but over the past few weeks he seems to have found his form from last year- he's pulling power moves, his footwork seems quicker, he's running the court more. If the Cavs were running the triangle or any sort of viable offensive scheme Shaq would be more productive/valuable to the team.

2) He's not gettin much minutes (only plays about 23/G) and even when he's in, the Cavs would much rather dribble around the perimeter and launch long-range shots. It seems like they brought him in for the sole purpose of neutralizing Dwight Howard if the two teams meet again in the playoffs (He already proved he can early in the season).Per 36 min, he's averaging 17PPG 11RPG and he's still pretty productive.

And who says the Cavs can't win the title this year? Lebron has already single-handedly dragged much lesser rosters through the playoffs and into the big show. Yet before they have their lineup stabilized (Delonte is erratic, Leon Powe is still out,etc) you're ready to say they have no chance at all? I mean Shaq alone can get the likes of Dwight and Bynum into early foul trouble often, so even if he's not putting up big numbers he's still a lot to handle down low and can take any team's best center out of the mix.

People need to stop jumping the gun, wait until the playoffs at least.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
HylianNightmare
The Magic are a trash

as of right now no they aren't.

but come playoff time i expect them to do much better
HylianNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
DukeDelonte13
Very good NBA starter

they have fewer weaknesses then last year. They have the 3rd best record in the east. Around this time last year they were 3rd in the east too. They are much better equipped for the playoffs this year.

Powe, Moon, Parker, Shaq >>>> Wally, Sasha, Ben Wallace, Terrance Kinsey

Plus this year Hickson is getting solid minutes, and playing better.

Wally and TK aren't even NBA players anymore.

They probably won't win as many reg. season games but I can't see any team in the east that the cavs can't beat in a 7 game series. I know with Shaq Dwight isn't going to give the team fits like last year. [also moon is a huge defensive upgrade over Wally] Cavs match up well with the Hawks and the Celts.

By midseason this cavs team should be running like a rolls engine. They are one of the most versatile teams in the league, they can throw out two 7 footers (which has proven to be useful when Van Gundy went with Gortat and Howard), and have proven themselves to play small with the best of them.

Shaq's D is a concern, but it's not like Z was some defensive stalwart.

BTW the cavs if they so choose, have a 20 mill expirer in shaq, and an 11 mill expirer in Z for the trade deadline.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
DeuceWallaces
NBA Legend

They were not 3rd this time last year. They were first with everyone already anointing them as champions.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #7
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
BTW the cavs if they so choose, have a 20 mill expirer in shaq, and an 11 mill expirer in Z for the trade deadline.

It might sound grimey but I think Big Z has served his usefulness in Cleveland, they should look to shop him for an upgrade at the 4 or 5 spot. They'll need Shaq for Dwight and if need be Bynum, so keeping him throughout the playoffs is in their best interest.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:42 PM   #8
DukeDelonte13
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
They were not 3rd this time last year. They were first with everyone already anointing them as champions.

boton was 25-2 at this time, Cleveland was 22-4, Orl. had 6 losses.

They were 2nd. shoot me.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:42 PM   #9
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

Regular season-wise no, but they will be a tougher out in the playoffs, which is the only thing that matters. Sleep on them if it makes you feel better though, since we know your agenda has Kobe>Lebron written all over it.
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #10
DukeDelonte13
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
It might sound grimey but I think Big Z has served his usefulness in Cleveland, they should look to shop him for an upgrade at the 4 or 5 spot. They'll need Shaq for Dwight and if need be Bynum, so keeping him throughout the playoffs is in their best interest.

there has been some buzz from Cleveland's beat writer brain windhorst about the organization gearing up for a trade...
Old 12-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #11
cotdt
Dishonest, awful excuse of a fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaman99
we know your agenda has Kobe>Lebron written all over it.

Eh... nobody even mentioned anything about Kobe and Lebron until you just did. BTW, Lebron > Wade. I don't know why you would want Wade in NY when Lebron is better.

Quote:
there has been some buzz from Cleveland's beat writer brain windhorst about the organization gearing up for a trade...

They know they have to make a trade to compete in the playoffs, especially with the decline of Ilgauskas. I say trade him.
cotdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #12
madmax
Decent college freshman

Simply put - they have more talent, but less chemistry this year, Lebron is as good as ever and is still improving and maturing in my opinion. They lost some games this year due to lackdaisical effort on the floor, and it's obvious they are not taking regular season as serious as last year, but shoot me if any team in the league wants to face healthy Cavs team ( with Powe) in a 7 game series...they have much more versatility this year and they still have that guy, named Lebron, capable of destroying any defense by himself
madmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:52 PM   #13
Roundball_Rock
NBA rookie of the year

I don't think anyone expected the Cavs to match or exceed 66-16. The idea all along was to improve for the playoffs. While they are a weaker regular season team they are an improved playoff team, as DukeDelonte showed. The problem for them is Boston, Orlando, and Atlanta also improved.
Roundball_Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:56 PM   #14
DeuceWallaces
NBA Legend

Quote:
boton was 25-2 at this time, Cleveland was 22-4, Orl. had 6 losses.

They were 2nd. shoot me.

The point is the climate surrounding the team was entirely different, but you're implying it was the same. They were the odds on favorite in everyone's opinion; that is definitely not the case now.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:16 PM   #15
CLE[216]
C A V A L I E R S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt
Eh... nobody even mentioned anything about Kobe and Lebron until you just did.

O RLY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt's original post
If you look at the 2009 All-Star game, the Kobe/Shaq combo was FAR more potent.

Like someone already said, Kobe played with Shaq for years. YEARS. They won championships together. MULTIPLE CHAMPIONSHIPS. Of course Kobe is going to compliment Shaq better.
CLE[216] is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: