Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
bagelred
Stare
 
bagelred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 27,094
Default Mavs/Knicks Trade Idea



Why Mavericks do it: Mavericks are competing for a title and could use another big man in Curry to battle against Bynum/Gasol/Odom trifecta. Gooden returns to Mavs after 30 days, making even more money so he's happy. Gets rid of Carroll's useless 3 more years of contract on books. In addition, for 2010, Curry gives Mavericks another big man option since both Dampier and/or Gooden could be gone. Mavericks are not 2010 free agent players, so they'll have MLE either way to spend. Cuban isn't afraid to take chances and take on salary.


Why Knicks do it:
Cap Space. Plain and simple. Opens up another $7 million in cap space for 2010, which could be difference in keeping Lee or getting 2nd franchise player. Carroll's uselessness and future payroll is well worth 2010 cap space. And who knows, maybe Carroll remembers how to hit 3's in D'Antoni's system.



Huh? Huh?

Last edited by bagelred : 12-22-2009 at 05:00 PM.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
D-Rose
Da Mavs
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10,514
Default Re: Mavs/Knicks Trade Idea

Nobody wants Eddy Curry unless you take back like the Elton Brand contract.
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
bagelred
Stare
 
bagelred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 27,094
Default Re: Mavs/Knicks Trade Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose
Nobody wants Eddy Curry unless you take back like the Elton Brand contract.

Yeah, because the Knicks would do that....

Knicks are already taking a bad contract in Carroll.

Knicks get short term relief, Mavs get long term relief. Win, win......
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
ALLsOp
Saw a basketball once
 
ALLsOp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 18
Default Re: Mavs/Knicks Trade Idea

Quote:
Mavericks are not 2010 free agent players, so they'll have MLE either way to spend. Cuban isn't afraid to take chances and take on salary.

wrong i suggest you take a better look at damps contract the mavs are 2010 players for sure.
ALLsOp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....
 
beasted86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: So-Fla PSN:Ghostfaced
Posts: 7,237
Default Re: Mavs/Knicks Trade Idea

Curry is useless to the Mavs.

Carroll has a contract that goes less & less every year. Gooden is a useful big who can help them in the playoffs, Curry is not. At least if Curry could block shots you'd have some sort of grounds, but Gooden is both a better rebounder & scorer, and he's expiring, and he's no worse defensively to Curry.
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
bagelred
Stare
 
bagelred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 27,094
Default Re: Mavs/Knicks Trade Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasted86
Curry is useless to the Mavs.

Carroll has a contract that goes less & less every year. Gooden is a useful big who can help them in the playoffs, Curry is not. At least if Curry could block shots you'd have some sort of grounds, but Gooden is both a better rebounder & scorer, and he's expiring, and he's no worse defensively to Curry.

Gooden is going right back to the Mavs.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
bagelred
Stare
 
bagelred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 27,094
Default Re: Mavs/Knicks Trade Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLsOp
wrong i suggest you take a better look at damps contract the mavs are 2010 players for sure.

Yes as a Sign and Trade, but not in the free agent market. I know Damp's contract is valuable but that has nothing to do with Mavs not being under the cap. Essentially, a team would be willing to give up talent to get Damp's contract to open more cap space for themselves.

But for the Mavs, they can't get below cap no matter what, so Curry's extra salary next year doesn't really hurt them. They actually benefit more with Carroll's contract gone for the future.

Last edited by bagelred : 12-22-2009 at 03:59 PM.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #8
hawkfan
Banned
 
hawkfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Salt Factory
Posts: 13,167
Default Re: Mavs/Knicks Trade Idea

Gooden is on a one year deal, so he would have final approval.

Curry is awful, and Gooden is far better. No team is going to take that awful salary cap/luxury tax hit by adding Curry.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #9
Locked_Up_Tonight
Good college starter
 
Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,194
Default Re: Mavs/Knicks Trade Idea

Carroll's contract really isn't that bad. Like Beasted said, his cotract goes down every year. The other two guys are basically just "filler" contracts.

The Mavs may need an upgrade at the center spot but getting Curry would not alleviate the problem. In fact, I believe playing Curry would make some of the other positions worse. Curry doesn't rebound, or block shots.

Just a terrible idea from the Mavs perspective.
Locked_Up_Tonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #10
bagelred
Stare
 
bagelred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 27,094
Default Re: Mavs/Knicks Trade Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfan
Gooden is on a one year deal, so he would have final approval.

Curry is awful, and Gooden is far better. No team is going to take that awful salary cap/luxury tax hit by adding Curry.

Once again, you don't understand cap rules. Go away.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:05 PM   #11
Poodle
Banned
 
Poodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,292
Default Re: Mavs/Knicks Trade Idea

you need to stop trying to sell Curry as an asset in these trades if you want them to be taken seriously.
Poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:05 PM   #12
hawkfan
Banned
 
hawkfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Salt Factory
Posts: 13,167
Default Re: Mavs/Knicks Trade Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
Once again, you don't understand cap rules. Go away.

1. First of all, you are trying to be me. Last year, every trade scenario (or almost all of them) involving the Hawks involved Speedy Claxton. But I had sense enough to understand that he was an expirer, while Curry won't be until next season.

2. Matt Carroll with his long contract and big salary is still better than Curry. No one wants Curry at his present salary. Deal with it.

3. If you had proposed this deal with Jeffries instead of Curry, financially that would have made a little more sense for the Mavs.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #13
bagelred
Stare
 
bagelred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 27,094
Default Re: Mavs/Knicks Trade Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodle
you need to stop trying to sell Curry as an asset in these trades if you want them to be taken seriously.

The Mavs give up nothing and they get an extra big man. Why is that bad? What do they give up? Matt Carroll?

There is no downside to this trade for Mavericks, really. If Curry plays well as a backup or if Damp or Gooden go down with injury, Curry could be a huge help.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:09 PM   #14
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....
 
beasted86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: So-Fla PSN:Ghostfaced
Posts: 7,237
Default Re: Mavs/Knicks Trade Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfan
1. First of all, you are trying to be me. Last year, every trade scenario (or almost all of them) involving the Hawks involved Speedy Claxton. But I had sense enough to understand that he was an expirer, while Curry won't be until next season.

2. Matt Carroll with his long contract and big salary is still better than Curry. No one wants Curry at his present salary. Deal with it.

3. If you had proposed this deal with Jeffries instead of Curry, financially that would have made a little more sense for the Mavs.
OWNED by Hawkfan.
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:10 PM   #15
hawkfan
Banned
 
hawkfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Salt Factory
Posts: 13,167
Default Re: Mavs/Knicks Trade Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodle
you need to stop trying to sell Curry as an asset in these trades if you want them to be taken seriously.

Plus 1.

Curry will eat up all of the Mexican food and burgers in Dallas and balloon another 50 pounds.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:08 AM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy