Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 01-05-2010, 12:36 AM   #1
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Default If your team doesn't win the Super Bowl, is the season a failure?

Do you take a hard line stance on this, or are you just happy with progress and a winning year?

I think that if you are bad, you want to be good, and once you get good, you want to be better. With each win, expectations rise, as new ones are created.

Like, people will tell me "Oh, you should be happy that the Bengals turned it around." Sorta, yeah, but the name of the game is winning the Super Bowl. Technically, there is one champion, and everyone else is a failure. Success from year to year isn't guaranteed. Oftentimes, surprise teams one year don't take that next step. They just fall back.

It gets old seeing other teams' fanbases get that parade at the end of the year. I hope that my championship quest as a fan doesn't consume the rest of my youth and I have to wait until I'm as old as good 'ol Bob in my avy.

Last edited by mlh1981 : 01-05-2010 at 12:38 AM.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:38 AM   #2
iggy>
happy tanksgiving

Default Re: If your team doesn't win the Super Bowl, is the season a failure?

yes
iggy> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:41 AM   #3
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

for me yes...

When the Mavs finally made it to the Finals and lost I viewed it as a failure...(although now I am 99% sure it was rigged)

If Dallas makes it all the way to the Bowl and loses, I will view it as a failure also...if we make it that f*ckin far, then we better take home a damn ring...no one cares about SB losers...ask Bills fans, or ask Eagle fans...or ask Raider fans...it means NOTHING
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:58 AM   #4
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

I think it also depends on one's expectations for a certain team. For example, my Bucs. I was not expecting them to come close to the Super Bowl, so no, I'm not disappointed they won't win the Super Bowl, but I am disappointed they were so awful. I was expecting 5-7 wins, not only 3.

But if my team is a contender for the playoffs, then yes, anything short of a Super Bowl win is a failure. Ask the Cardinals last year....no one expected them to make it to the big game, but were they satisfied just making it to the Super Bowl? No.
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:05 AM   #5
tian820
NBA lottery pick

Man with everything that's happened to Cincinnati this year, a Super Bowl win would bring some closure, even though the tragic events that have already happened were obviously much bigger than a simple championship. I would be beyond happy though for the franchise if they were to pull it off, but to say this season was a failure otherwise? I like to look at things from a positive point of view and I've had fun cheering on this team all year
tian820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:45 AM   #6
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2V1GP
I think it also depends on one's expectations for a certain team. For example, my Bucs. I was not expecting them to come close to the Super Bowl, so no, I'm not disappointed they won't win the Super Bowl, but I am disappointed they were so awful. I was expecting 5-7 wins, not only 3.

But if my team is a contender for the playoffs, then yes, anything short of a Super Bowl win is a failure. Ask the Cardinals last year....no one expected them to make it to the big game, but were they satisfied just making it to the Super Bowl? No.

This. You've got to keep your fanhood grounded in reality. For the last decade or so all but one year as a Colts fan has been a failure. But it isn't like I'd call this season a failure for the Pacers because they aren't winning the Finals. Though I would for other reasons.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:05 AM   #7
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by tian820
Man with everything that's happened to Cincinnati this year, a Super Bowl win would bring some closure, even though the tragic events that have already happened were obviously much bigger than a simple championship. I would be beyond happy though for the franchise if they were to pull it off, but to say this season was a failure otherwise? I like to look at things from a positive point of view and I've had fun cheering on this team all year
Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
This. You've got to keep your fanhood grounded in reality. For the last decade or so all but one year as a Colts fan has been a failure. But it isn't like I'd call this season a failure for the Pacers because they aren't winning the Finals. Though I would for other reasons.

"get out..."
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:06 AM   #8
Doomsday Dallas
we fight as MAVERICKS!

We just need to beat the eagles...

That's all I know for now.
Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:23 AM   #9
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

this season yes
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:24 AM   #10
thekavorka
Good High School Starter

Salary Cap era in the NFL is different than the NBA. Every year, any team can win the super bowl (except the lions). You can't say that about the NBA.

And just because you win a couple of games in the playoffs doesn't mean you'll even make it back to the playoffs the next year.

So if you don't win the Super Bowl, the year is a failure. These days, you rarely see "building upon playoff success". Next year, you may not even make it back.
thekavorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:36 AM   #11
Snoop_Cat
Banned

The Giants .... oh wait ......
Snoop_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

It depends. The Cardinals last year could never be argued as a
failure because they absolutely did great things and played awesome in the superbowl as well. That season was a success for the Cardinals even if it didn't result in a superbowl.

But if you're an elite team year after year, you have expectations. If you don't win the superbow it will probably be viewed as a failure.

But I don't really view football like that. The most rings by one team is the Steelers with six, right? That's the most in HISTORY. So winning a ring is absolutely prestige and a historical event in and of itself. It really is a "once in a lifetime" thing for many players and teams. To not win a superbowl in any given year, for that reason alone, isn't a ''failure." At least to me.

Over a period of say, 10 years... or the ERA of someone (Like the Peyton Manning Era, the Romo Era, Brady Era, Brees Era, Rivers Era, etc, etc) is much more accurate to distinguish failure and success. If those players and teams didn't, or fail to win a ring during their time, that's a failure.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #13
tsforthrees
red vines cray

i guess it depends on the current state of the team. i set realistic goals when i root for the 49ers now. it used to be super bowl or bust, but now i'm just happy that they're competing and looking to turn the corner (happy but not satisfied). i would be pleased next season with a playoff appearance and a playoff win.
tsforthrees is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: