Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-07-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
BigTicket
Cavs for life

Default A simple and realistic trade idea (Cle + Was)

Seems like most of the trade scenarios around here involve 5+ players, and lets face it, those kinds of trades almost never happen. So I thought I would go for one that's both simple, and fairly likely.

Wizards trade:

Antawn Jamison

Cavaliers trade:

JJ Hickson
Zydrunas Ilgauskas

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...tradeId=mv8je7

Cavs do it to win now, as Jamison is a big upgrade at PF over JJ Hickson. Varejao takes over the backup center duty from Ilgauskas, and Powe once healthy takes over the backup PF spot.

Wizards do it because they clearly aren't going anywhere with the current lineup, and by makes this trade they save a lot of money (Ilgauskas is a 12M expirer), and get a young promising PF in Hickson.
BigTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
BlackWhiteGreen
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: A simple and realistic trade idea (Cle + Was)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTicket
Seems like most of the trade scenarios around here involve 5+ players, and lets face it, those kinds of trades almost never happen. So I thought I would go for one that's both simple, and fairly likely.

Wizards trade:

Antawn Jamison

Cavaliers trade:

JJ Hickson
Zydrunas Ilgauskas

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=yhbvsf3

Cavs do it to win now, as Jamison is a big upgrade at PF over JJ Hickson. Varejao takes over the backup center duty from Ilgauskas, and Powe once healthy takes over the backup PF spot.

Wizards do it because they clearly aren't going anywhere with the current lineup, and by makes this trade they save a lot of money (Ilgauskas is a 12M expirer), and get a young promising PF in Hickson.

My Celts-Wiz gives Wiz more cap relief, and I like it better cos it makes the C's better and not the Cavs

This one is much more likely to go down though
BlackWhiteGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:36 AM   #3
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

I proposed the same thing yesterday. Have the Cavs send cash (if possible) and tell the Wizards to buy Big Z out.

But I have a feeling some Cavs fan think JJ Hickson is the 2nd coming of Karl Malone, so Cavs fan think they should get a 20 ppg career scorer for nothing.

Either way, I hope the Cavs stay content with their current team.

ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
BigTicket
Cavs for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
Either way, I hope the Cavs stay content with their current team.

I'm more than content with the current Cavs time, it might just be the best in the history of our franchise. But a little extra firepower never hurt anyone, especially since this season is likely to be the best chance at a title we've ever had.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #5
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Quote:
I'm more than content with the current Cavs time, it might just be the best in the history of our franchise. But a little extra firepower never hurt anyone, especially since this season is likely to be the best chance at a title we've ever had.

I'm a Knicks fan and I don't want to see the Cavs add a 20 ppg scorer for peanuts, especially when the Cavs will get a good chance to get Big Z back in the trade.

Here's to hoping the Cavs do nothing to improve their current team.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

No! Z and cash for a buyout for Troy Murphy! I'd like a 1st but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. Murphy expires next year, so if LBJ does bolt you're tied into the contract a year less.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
BigTicket
Cavs for life

Quote:
I'm a Knicks fan and I don't want to see the Cavs add a 20 ppg scorer for peanuts, especially when the Cavs will get a good chance to get Big Z back in the trade.

Here's to hoping the Cavs do nothing to improve their current team.

Why would you care as a Knicks fan ? Not like we're rivals.

If anything it would seem to help the Knicks if the Wizards get worse, since they're the team just below the Knicks in the standings.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:48 AM   #8
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Quote:
Why would you care as a Knicks fan ? Not like we're rivals.

If anything it would seem to help the Knicks if the Wizards get worse, since they're the team just below the Knicks in the standings.

If Lebron wins a ring with the Cavs, the Knicks have 0% chance of getting him.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #9
BigTicket
Cavs for life

Quote:

Ok, that does make sense.

I doubt it will happen though, realistically Lebron will need to win a title sometime during his next longterm contract, if he wants to win one as the main man. Afterall if he signs for 5 years, he'll have played 12 seasons once the contract expires. Which brings us to the rather key question, who do the Knicks have that could help him win a championship ?
Old 01-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #10
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

Quote:
who do the Knicks have that could help him win a championship ?
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #11
Knicks101
Hustle Loyalty Respect

Quote:

I'm actually starting to think that there's a better chance that he leaves if they win a championship this year.
Knicks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #12
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Quote:
Ok, that does make sense.

I doubt it will happen though, realistically Lebron will need to win a title sometime during his next longterm contract, if he wants to win one as the main man. Afterall if he signs for 5 years, he'll have played 12 seasons once the contract expires. Which brings us to the rather key question, who do the Knicks have that could help him win a championship ?

Honestly the current Knicks team have a bunch of young players with potential and the Knicks could have enough money to resign Lee and offer Lebron a max deal. However, the key IMO opinion will be adding a 2nd FA ala a Chris Bosh which would mean not resigning David Lee. The Knicks would need to find a way to get rid of Jeffries contract in order to sign a Chris Bosh unless Lebron wouldn't mind having David Lee as his PF (which could be possible the way Lee has been playing.) The Cavs do have a better system in place and experienced role players, but there isn't much long term talent other then Mo Williams and Delonte West.

I guess it will come down to, does Lebron feel the Knicks have a better future and fif the marketability with New York is worthwhile, or does Lebron feel the Cavs are more proven team with more experienced players and good system and Lebron would not abandon Ohio.

Hopefully the Lebron leaves. I could see the Knicks overpaying for lesser FA if they don't' get Lebron in 2010.

Last edited by ALBballer : 01-07-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:14 AM   #13
Lebron23
2nd Greatest Player

Antawn Jamison would definitely help the Cavaliers in the playoffs.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:17 AM   #14
BigTicket
Cavs for life

Quote:
Honestly the current Knicks team have a bunch of young players with potential and the Knicks could have enough money to resign Lee and offer Lebron a max deal. However, the key IMO opinion will be adding a 2nd FA ala a Chris Bosh which would mean not resigning David Lee. The Knicks would need to find a way to get rid of Jeffries contract in order to sign a Chris Bosh unless Lebron wouldn't mind having David Lee as his PF (which could be possible the way Lee has been playing.) The Cavs do have a better system in place and experienced role players, but there isn't much long term talent other then Mo Williams and Delonte West.

I guess it will come down to, does Lebron feel the Knicks have a better future and fif the marketability with New York is worthwhile, or does Lebron feel the Cavs are more proven team with more experienced players and good system and Lebron would not abandon Ohio.

Hopefully the Lebron leaves. I could see the Knicks overpaying for lesser FA if they don't' get Lebron in 2010.

Honestly if you were Lebron, and you wanted to win a championship, would you really go to the Knicks ? You could stay in Cleveland with the proven contender status, you could go to the Clippers with Kaman, Griffin, Gordon etc, or you could go to the Knicks ?

I think your best shot at getting Lebron is a different scenario, its one where he wins the championship this year, and having gotten that, having already reached the pinacle of NBA stardom, he decides to go with the money, which means going to the Knicks.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #15
PleezeBelieve
Thunder it DOWN, Dion!

Washington has little leverage to get 'value' for what they think they deserve for Jamison. He's 33 and has two and a half years left on his deal that pays him 13+ mill yearly.

Their franchise is headed nowhere. No matter how much the Cavs like Jamison, it would still be a salary dump to the Wiz if they were to trade him.

OP, I say no to a Hickson/Z for Jamison straight up deal.

Cavs give up roster flexibility for the next two years and get significantly older in the process. I cant do that and I'm sure Danny Ferry would agree with me.

If the Cavs and Wiz do a deal involving Hickson and Z, it would probably have to look like this:

Z
Hickson
1st
Cash (for a Z buyout)

For

Jamison
Blatche

This is the only type of deal getting made. Cavs will give the Wiz cap relief, a pick, and cash, but they won't give them youth without getting youth in return.
PleezeBelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: