Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-18-2006, 07:17 PM   #1
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Default What is your opinion of Lamar Odom?

Do you trust him yet?

He had a pretty good playoffs and out played Marion. He has shown to be one of the best rebounders in the league and he is also a tremendous ball handler and passer, never mind for his size, just period.

He's pretty much shown everything. He's shown the ability to score in the post against small players and to blow by bigger ones. He's a guy you can count on to find the open player. At times he plays good defense and at times he doesn't.

However there is one main issue. He has not improved. Since his rookie year practically. He seems like the kind of player who never practices, ever. He still has no offhand, he has a jumper that is just plain HORRIBLE, and he doesn't really have any moves. His entire offense basically consists of left hand drives. What happens when he gets into a playoff series against a serious team? What happens when that left hand drive is cut off? Will he respond with some skill he just hasn't unleashed yet, will he get owned and come back next year, fired up and ready to go with an expanded skillset? Or will he just not improve and continue to settle for "pretty good player" status?

As it is right now his passing and rebounding is enough to make him a valuable contributor to any team effort. But is LA making the right decision by sticking with him? How high is his value right now? Will he use the Suns series as the beginning of a new level for his play? Or just put on the same "show up half the time and make money on talent alone" routine?

Lastly, what would you think of a Jamison for Odom swap from the Lakers point of view?
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:19 PM   #2
kentatm
NBA Legend

well Jamison doesnt really need the ball in his hands to score so i guess that would be a plus. but his D.... yea its just not there.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:21 PM   #3
IGGYIVERSON
High school junior varsity star

Lamar Odom to me is just a shell thats empty inside.

he plays like he doesnt care a lot of the time, he's very inconsistent, he's not very agressive, it always looks like hes coasting and only using like 70% of his potential. its kind of sad to watch him. to me he's a slightly smarter Kwame Brown.

Odom could have been an allstar everyyear if he cared.
IGGYIVERSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:22 PM   #4
SHADYMILKMAN
Banned

Lamar has improved a lot....dont go by the stats if thats what ur looking at. His Last year in Miami was a gigantic improvement over the years past. This year was also a great year for him. Also....Odom has a sick spin move that no one can stop.
SHADYMILKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:23 PM   #5
kentatm
NBA Legend

wouldnt it be fun to have Antoine Walker and Lamar Odom on the same team?
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:26 PM   #6
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

He was a good player when he was on the Heat, I blame his developement on Kobe.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:28 PM   #7
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

One somewhat interesting tidbit. I am not exagerrating when I say: I have never seen Odom make a three pointer as a Laker. That's right. Not one time. Granted I've never watched an entire game, but the times I have watched, probably adding up to about 14 quarters overall this season, I have never seen him make one. In fact, every one has been a gigantic brick, the kind that looks like it never has any chance, and hits the outside or top of the rim and falls to someone standing 20 feet away from the basket.

And yet, here's the funny part, he shot 37.2% from three this season. Better than Gilbert Arenas. Granted Arenas is the better shooter, granted he only takes the widest of wide open ones, but I was stunned to find this out. I thought he had a Wade-esque number.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:29 PM   #8
Batchoy
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
I blame his developement on Kobe.
It would be more like "lack of development".
Batchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:36 PM   #9
Grizzledrook
I brick open layups

I think odom is good he is an above average role player.He is just above role player and underneath all star.He is like you said a good passer and great rebounder,actually I wanted the griz to get him last year.His shot is ok he can really pick'n'pop.Real stand still full concentration jumper.He is not better than jamison though.Are there rumors about him beign traded.
Grizzledrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:16 PM   #10
TheReturnofCed
The Real Ced

I like Odom and think he's the perfect fit for Bryant. If the Lakers had Mike James (playing within himself) the Suns would have never got to play the Clippers, and it would have been the Lakers losing to the Mavs in the West finals. I really think this team is a Mike James away from contender status. And maybe a Hilton Armstrong or Saer Sene.

If the Lakers could somehow get their hands on Joel Pryzbilla and Mike James they are a top 4 team.
TheReturnofCed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:18 PM   #11
MavsLakerfan4eva
I brick open layups

Lamar Odom is an amazing basketball player. He is easily a top 10 player in the NBA.
MavsLakerfan4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:47 PM   #12
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReturnofCed
If the Lakers could somehow get their hands on Joel Pryzbilla and Mike James they are a top 4 team.
That's all it will take to make The Lakers a contender? They're more closer to elite state than I thought, just by adding a point guard who shoots and a defensive minded big man. Just give Mitch Kupchak GM of the decade if this happens.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:55 PM   #13
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsLakerfan4eva
Lamar Odom is an amazing basketball player. He is easily a top 10 player in the NBA.
I'm learning something new every day. Lamar Odom is a top 10 player. Eventhough he didn't get any consideration for 1st team All-NBA or 2nd, or even 3rd team All-NBA. The reason must be Lamar is playing alongside (maybe "behind" is a better term) the great Kobe Bryant that his greatness is diminished.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:56 PM   #14
TheReturnofCed
The Real Ced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
That's all it will take to make The Lakers a contender? They're more closer to elite state than I thought, just by adding a point guard who shoots and a defensive minded big man. Just give Mitch Kupchak GM of the decade if this happens.

Maybe you should log in too.

Mike James is a shut down defender when he wants to be and is an excellent shooter and underrated passer. He doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective either.

Joel Pryzbilla is needed to clog up the middle and alter shots, the Lakers need to get tougher defensively.

They should also aim for a reserve shooting guard in the draft.

CT: Pryzbilla/ Mihm
PF: Brown/ Turiaf/ Cook
SF: Odom/ Walton
SG: Bryant/ Draft
PG: James/ Parker/ Sasha

Thats easily a second round team.
TheReturnofCed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:01 PM   #15
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReturnofCed
CT: Pryzbilla/ Mihm
PF: Brown/ Turiaf/ Cook
SF: Odom/ Walton
SG: Bryant/ Draft
PG: James/ Parker/ Sasha

Thats easily a second round team.
Maybe a second round team, but defenitely not a top 4 team.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: