Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 11-01-2006, 12:44 PM   #1
Crazy Style
Bulls official mod

Crazy Style has an OK reputation so far
Default Smartest top 5 pick for Bulls other than Oden

Since the Knicks are projected to get better this year the chances of the Bulls getting the first pick and selecting Greg Oden are slim, but I still think the Bulls will still have one of the top five picks. Even in the top ten you can get a great player. The Bulls need a big center that has good low post offensive skills. Of coarse Oden would be the best, but in my opinion the second best big man in next years draft is 7'0, 250 pound big man, Spencer Hawes. He is the most complete center after Oden. Some of Hawes pros include, good post moves, good ball handling, great passing, soft touch around basket, competitiveness and he's very coachable. Not only can he score down low, but has a range that goes out to 18 feet. In most mock drafts he's compared to Brad Miller as being able to do a little bit of everything. If the Bulls receive a top 5 pick other than the first pick they should select this player because he's exactly what the team needs, a center with offensive skills, something the Bulls are lacking this year. He'd be a great back up to Wallace. When ever the team would need help down low offensively you would put Hawes in and whenever you would need defense there's Wallace. It seems like the Bulls will have a pick somewhere around the 5th pick if not better and this guy should be available. I doubt that the Knicks do well enough for the Bulls to have a selection from picks 6-10, at this point it doesn't make sense.

P.S. Joakim Noah is rated high, but it would be a mistake if the Bulls selected him, he's got the height and defense, but no offense. The Bulls need offense down low!!! So if the Bulls got the miracle of getting the first pick then obviously they would select Oden and if they get a further pick they should really consider Hawes, hopefully he's still available when the Bulls pick.
Crazy Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:54 PM   #2
Crazy Style
Bulls official mod

Here are two links you might want to see to find out more about Spencer Hawes.

http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/spencerhawes.html

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1418
Old 11-01-2006, 01:18 PM   #3
xxxSuperStar
I Like Tacos

xxxSuperStar has an OK reputation so far

I'm not a big Noah fan, plus we've already got a version of him (Tyrus Thomas).

I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Hawes. You can never use enough bigs and bulls are set at virtually every other position.

If the Bulls fall or trade down, which they may if they don't see anyone they like, I think McRoberts may find his way on the Bulls He is definatley a Paxson/Skiles player and is the MO of their past draft picks (hard worker from a winning program.)
xxxSuperStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:19 PM   #4
Kemosabe
High School Varsity 6th Man

Kemosabe has decent reputation

Watch out for brazilian Tiago Splitter he as a very good allaround interior presence and a lot of experience on europe´s best league (spanish). I think he will be a very good catch.
Kemosabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:34 PM   #5
Crazy Style
Bulls official mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemosabe
Watch out for brazilian Tiago Splitter he as a very good allaround interior presence and a lot of experience on europe´s best league (spanish). I think he will be a very good catch.

Yea, but in some mock drafts his value went down. Some sites have him ranked high while others have him in the mid first round. He plays power forward, but the Bulls need someone who's a true center. He might be able to play both positions because of his size though.

Last edited by Crazy Style : 11-01-2006 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:47 PM   #6
Crazy Style
Bulls official mod

We can list a lot of guys, but the Bulls will need a Center or someone who can play that position who also has good size. Probaby someone who's at least 6'10, 6'11, and at least 235 pounds would fit the description. So far all the descriptions have followed that.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:00 PM   #7
ILLEFEX
Serious playground baller

ILLEFEX has an OK reputation so far

i haven't really heard of that hawes guy, but i'm pretty sure he will be someone that the bulls will look at.....besides, itz only the start of college basketball season so we still got a long way to go to see who has the potential to play in the nba.....when march madness rolls around, then we'll have some idea on who will be perfect for the bulls.....honestly, i don't really like that noah guy from florida....i think his value and his stock went sky high cause he won a title at florida, cause if they lost that title game, people won't really talk about him as much........
ILLEFEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:21 AM   #8
Crazy Style
Bulls official mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLEFEX
i haven't really heard of that hawes guy, but i'm pretty sure he will be someone that the bulls will look at.....besides, itz only the start of college basketball season so we still got a long way to go to see who has the potential to play in the nba.....when march madness rolls around, then we'll have some idea on who will be perfect for the bulls.....honestly, i don't really like that noah guy from florida....i think his value and his stock went sky high cause he won a title at florida, cause if they lost that title game, people won't really talk about him as much........

Basically what I've been looking at is what players will fit the Bulls need of a big legitimate back center who may later become a starter once Wallace leaves. This guy would be also are key to low post scoring, so we'd have to look for an offensive minded player. An all around player would be the best, but those are really hard to find. Other than Oden, it's hard to say who will be put in a similar group as him down the road when it comes to the other new big men coming next year. The main reason I mentioned Spencer Hawes as a good pick up is because he's close to being an all around player, he's got the offense, but could polish up some of his defense. The good thing is that he does get the occasional block because of his size and has good positioning on the floor, so he'll have a season of college basketball to work on that. If you look at his profile that I posted earlier on this thread you can see that he argueably may become the 2nd best big man in the draft. He's also compared to Brad Miller, who in my oppinion is one of the best all around centers in the league. He has a good FG%, had 15 ppg, 8 rebounds per game, a good FT%, and knows how to make the long mid-range shot, can shoot the three. The only two things Miller is better at is blocking shots and making threes. I know it's silly comparing a veteran to an upcoming rookie, but it's important to have some kind of idea to see what kind of player the team might be getting down the road. I think Spencer would fill a big need and can be an immediate contributer.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:17 AM   #9
Crazy Style
Bulls official mod

What gives Spencer Hawes an advantage is that he had a lot of experience at the guard position when younger, before he got tall. His understanding of all the positions should give him an edge over a majority of next year’s big men. I like some other big men for next year such as McRoberts, Splitter, and Gray, but my favorites are Oden and Hawes. This is how I would rank these five players from who I would like to see on the Bulls the most.

1) Greg Oden (the whole package)
2) Spencer Hawes (great low post skills, great mid range game for big man, good offensive understanding)
3) Josh McRoberts (great dunker, exceptional shooter, aggressiveness on rebounds}
4) Aaron Gray (7’1, 280 pounds, biggest center in draft, tough player)
5) Tiago Splitter (has great foot work for his size, experience overseas, must improve offensive game to become bigger force)

Who to avoid: 1) Joakim Noah (compared to Tyson Chandler with a higher basketball IQ, only defense, no offensive skills)
2) Hasheem Thabeet (only a project for now, very raw, tallest guy in draft at 7’3, but not much more than that)
Old 11-02-2006, 10:34 AM   #10
ThaKing
Decent playground baller

ThaKing has an OK reputation so far

Greg Oden is a freak, but his offensive game is still very raw. There are at least 5 centers available in next years draft who will be more polished offensively. He has the potential to be great on offense but as of right now he is a defensive player.

Not to mention he has said repeatedly that his #1 priority is graduating college and winning a national championship. He said he has no plans of leaving college early. He wants the 4 year college experiance. Of course alot changes when the NBA is waving millions in your face.

Last edited by ThaKing : 11-02-2006 at 10:41 AM.
ThaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:50 AM   #11
Crazy Style
Bulls official mod

So who do you think would be the best fit for the Bulls if they receive one of the first picks?
Old 11-02-2006, 01:12 PM   #12
ThaKing
Decent playground baller

What I think the Bulls are lacking is a consistent outside threat. They could use someone to strectch the defense and let Wallace, and Ty Thomas have some space inside to do what they do best, rebound and dunk. We have Hinrich and Gordon who are good shooters but not deadly from the 3 point line. With that said, you don't draft a shooter in the lottery. Those are taken late first round/ early second round. If the Bulls get a top 5 pick I think a guy like Kevin Durant could really help this team. He could help any team. Here's a guy who is 6-10/ 6-11 and has the skills of a 2 guard. He is gonna be a little passive and will prefer to play out on the perimiter, which is why i think he will be better suited for a team like Chicago. But unless the Knicks really tank again this year he will likely be out of reach. Many people have him being a better NBA prospect than Oden, and there's already some mention of him going #1 next year. I like Nocioni alot but Durant would be a big improvement at that position, and i think Nocioni is much more effective coming off the bench.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:35 PM   #13
goillcity
I brick open layups

goillcity has an OK reputation so far

the bulls are pretty damn deadly from outside the ark
we need a true center not another shooting gaurd
goillcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:34 PM   #14
ThaKing
Decent playground baller

Yea, I agree about the center. But we just spent alot of money for Ben Wallace so I don't see a center being drafted in the next few years. I thought we would take LaMarcus Aldridge, but I'm pretty happy about Thomas.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:47 PM   #15
goillcity
I brick open layups

goillcity has an OK reputation so far

we should get a center and let big ben play power foward
we'll have the best squad in the leage
and all our guys play old school hard nose ball hustle and heart
bulls should be tops in the east this year, the knicks will be at the bottom of the pile, i don't even think we need a true center to win another ring but our bullies will be at the top for a long time with a solid 7' big man
goillcity is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: