Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 01-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #61
Undisputed
Do. Your. Job.

Default Re: 2009 NFL MVP: Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
Drew Brees is the true MVP.

No. Peyton Manning is the TRUE MVP. Brees is the false MVP.
Undisputed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #62
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
More touchdowns considering the last 2 games he hardly played? QB rating is an overrated stat. And wow record for compl %. Thats nice if Manning wasnt that far behind. I didnt misread. I saw 2 players stat lines that rivaled each other. It doesnt by any means support your whole "he was robbed" cry. If Mannings stats suffered more across the board thus making Brees stats obviously better? Then maybe you can use he was robbed cry. But given that isnt the case here? Ummm yeah, maybe you're reaching?

What doesnt suggest MVP didnt deserve it? He had an MVP worthy season as did Brees. Many felt Manning carried the Colts on his back moreso than Brees given thier situations. 7 comeback wins this season. And it was him who led that charge. He was consistent week to week this season. 14-0 before Indy decided to rest thier starters. Drew Brees felt Manning was deserving of the award and Reggie Bush said you can argue either...Kobe/Lebron was his comparison. I dont particularly agree with the comparison but when your own teammate isnt screaming robbed, he was more deserving? Thats says alot. Think about it.

Brees didn't play the last week, and he had far less pass attempts then Manning this year, so your games played / touchdown passes point is irrelevant. QB Rating is a measure of Quarterback efficiency, and Brees destroyed Manning in it. 2% behind is a pretty large margin in terms of completion. Brees was simply a more cerebral player this year. Comeback Wins? Miami, Washington? Dominating Wins? Patriots on MNF? Brees did it all.

And of course Brees is going to say Manning is deserving of the award, you think he's the type to say "that was bull****, I deserved it!" Donovan McNabb publicly stated Brees should have won it last year for eclipsing 5,000 yards and should have won it this year as well. It's not as cut and dry as it seems, think about it.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #63
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Brees does have better stats across the board...no question

that doesn't make him more deserving though...
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #64
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
Brees does have better stats across the board...no question

that doesn't make him more deserving though...

What does? Neither accomplished an undefeated season, both were the #1 team in their respective conference so team success is irrelevant, if the Saints start Brees week 16 and destroy Carolina and go 14-2, then does Brees win it? I don't think the record has anything to do with an MVP choice, they were both dominant leaders, but Brees was better statistically.

Team success seems relatively even to me, and Brees was better. Why even have an MVP award if it has nothing to do with personal accomplishments?
Old 01-10-2010, 06:34 PM   #65
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
What does? Neither accomplished an undefeated season, both were the #1 team in their respective conference so team success is irrelevant, if the Saints start Brees week 16 and destroy Carolina and go 14-2, then does Brees win it? I don't think the record has anything to do with an MVP choice, they were both dominant leaders, but Brees was better statistically.

Team success seems relatively even to me, and Brees was better. Why even have an MVP award if it has nothing to do with personal accomplishments?
it is somewhat an individual award...best player on the best team...Peyton (individually) is the best player on his team (the Colts), which had the best record in the NFL...

seriously, you guys are making this way more complicated than it is...a 3rd grader would understand why Peyton gets this award

14-2 > 13-3

^^^ easy math

don't break down the conferences...that is silly...the Colts had a better record at the end of the season and that is all that matters...SIMPLE
Old 01-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #66
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

here:

what team finished the season with the best record?

???

and who is the best player on that team?

???

^^^ that is who should win MVP
Old 01-10-2010, 06:41 PM   #67
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
here:

what team finished the season with the best record?

???

and who is the best player on that team?

???

^^^ that is who should win MVP

Fundamentally disagree with that, so I guess thats where it stops.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #68
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Fundamentally disagree with that, so I guess thats where it stops.
you can't disagree with it...that is just how it is

either you accept it or you live in fantasy land...

maybe if a RB runs for like 3,000 yards and somehow the team misses the post season that will change...but even then I don't think the formula should be broken, just give that player offensive player of the year...
Old 01-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #69
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Seeing the Colts without Manning made it a bit more clear. Yeah, the Saints might not have looked too good against the Panthers, but the Panthers were a hot team while you could see a big difference in the Jets game and the Bills game without Manning.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:11 PM   #70
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Brees didn't play the last week, and he had far less pass attempts then Manning this year, so your games played / touchdown passes point is irrelevant.

Please Drew Brees beat Manning by 1 TD pass. Just 1. If indy lets Manning just play in 1 of those 2 last games the entire game? He either ties or passes Brees in TDs. Then what? Thats my entire point you over there boosting up Drew because he has 1 more TD pass than Brees? Yeah my point is irrelevant and yours is petty. Lets work with that eh?

Drew playede the entire game the week before last and guess what? Threw 1 TD pass. And its being used in this thread to show me one of the reasons Brees was robbed. Gotcha, no no no I gotcha.

Quote:
QB Rating is a measure of Quarterback efficiency, and Brees destroyed Manning in it. 2% behind is a pretty large margin in terms of completion. Brees was simply a more cerebral player this year. Comeback Wins? Miami, Washington? Dominating Wins? Patriots on MNF? Brees did it all.

And you call Carbine a homer? The irony. More cerebral how? 2% is nothing to bark over and neither is having 1 more TD pass. But somehow in your world its a big difference. Brees did it all, Manning just did it more. Consistently, week in and week out.

Your job is to show me how Drew Brees is robbed. Not to argue Drew Brees was just as deserving. So far you're throwing incomplete passes in this regard. Perhaps you just admit he wasnt robbed. you just rather see Drew Brees win it because Manning has won it more than once. And by Brees winning it he gets a little more respect than you feel he gets overall. Face it, thats really what your complaint is. You want Drew to have the MVP trophy because he has been the life line for that franchise since coming there and had a great season. So you feel he should be rewarded and it sucks he didnt. So you overreacted and say he was robbed when truthfully you cant say Manning wasnt just as deserving. You just cant, no matter how much you spin 1 more TD pass.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #71
The GM
#ballislife

The voting should have been WAY closer then this and Favre 1 vote? c'mon.
The GM is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: