Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 01-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Need some help guys

I'm 19 years old, i'm 5'9 point guard and i'm 140 pounds ..
When i jump with two feets i can touch easily the backboard ..
When i jump with my right leg i touch the rim easily.
When i jump with my left leg i touch the backboard hardly.
(Yes i'm left handed).

What do you think about it?
Do you know more or less my vertical?
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Automajic23 is considered somewhat coolAutomajic23 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Need some help guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
I'm 19 years old, i'm 5'9 point guard and i'm 140 pounds ..
When i jump with two feets i can touch easily the backboard ..
When i jump with my right leg i touch the rim easily.
When i jump with my left leg i touch the backboard hardly.
(Yes i'm left handed).

What do you think about it?
Do you know more or less my vertical?

anywhere btw 34-36 inches would be my guess
Automajic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:33 AM   #3
cruthikai352
I airball my layups

cruthikai352 has an OK reputation so far

How high is your reach? Also, do you touch the backboard off a standstill or do you approach it with a run-up, heck, even a single step can make a difference. So i would say anything from 26-32, but I can't really say from the little information given.
cruthikai352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:22 AM   #4
Maga_1

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I grab the rim if i run up jumping with my left leg.
But i touch the backboard stopped, just giving a boost.
Need more information? I'm able to do ..
Old 01-13-2010, 04:28 AM   #5
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Increasing your vert involves explosive weight training and Plyometrics. Low reps with maximum effort = Maximum results.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:46 AM   #6
Maga_1

Man, i don't know anything about that .. it's terrible, i need to improve.
I guess you're not doing this but can you make me like a "plan" with some good exercises to do in the gym 2 or 3 times a week?
Old 01-13-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
Man, i don't know anything about that .. it's terrible, i need to improve.
I guess you're not doing this but can you make me like a "plan" with some good exercises to do in the gym 2 or 3 times a week?

When you are playing ball, just try to jump towards the rim as high as you can.
as swaggin told you, minimum reps maximum effort results in maximum results. This is very important. The main thing you want when increasing your vertical is EXPLOSIVENESS. You need to be able to explode off the ground towards the basket. That is why you need to use the minreps.maxeff = max results, if you do not do this, your body will probably create the wrong muscles. You need to train specifically.

try the Vertical Jump Bible. You can find it online for free.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:35 AM   #8
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Increasing your vert involves explosive weight training and Plyometrics. Low reps with maximum effort = Maximum results.

how is your journey towards being a highflyer going?
Old 01-13-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Automajic23 is considered somewhat coolAutomajic23 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY-Knicks

I wanna know too, how's the air up there tasting?
Automajic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:43 PM   #10
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Quote:

Not good. I haven't been able to do a workout for over a month now because of my strained hamstrings and on again off again knee pain (tendinitis I think). So instead I am just working on my game and trying to get smarter. I have ran a couple of games against some scrubs last week but it hasn't gone over well with my body so I just need to take it easy. I can't wait to get back in the gym and start throwing all kinds of weight on the squat bar tho... but not initially of course

Bottom line the journey is going to rough for most people who aren't already close to dunking. I was getting close but my body just wasn't built to take that kind of pounding and I overdid it... I think a lot of people could go through the same thing if they aren't careful.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #11
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Not good. I haven't been able to do a workout for over a month now because of my strained hamstrings and on again off again knee pain (tendinitis I think). So instead I am just working on my game and trying to get smarter. I have ran a couple of games against some scrubs last week but it hasn't gone over well with my body so I just need to take it easy. I can't wait to get back in the gym and start throwing all kinds of weight on the squat bar tho... but not initially of course

Bottom line the journey is going to rough for most people who aren't already close to dunking. I was getting close but my body just wasn't built to take that kind of pounding and I overdid it... I think a lot of people could go through the same thing if they aren't careful.

gotta get the rest man. got to get the rest.

I am trying to increase my vert as well. It is my main focus in the gym, but its not all I do. I am a couple of inches away from dunking, and I havent trained my vert in the past. So I should be able to slam it down somewhere in the near future, but that is not why I am trying to increase my vert, going for the all-around game. dunking would be very nice tho.

good luck getting back on that court. keep me posted man. updating any vid's soon on youtube btw?
Old 01-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #12
LebrickJames84'
High School Varsity 12th Man

LebrickJames84' has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automajic23
anywhere btw 34-36 inches would be my guess

? you missed read. He said that he touches backboard, and only can grab rim from a running start. He has about a 25 inch standing leap, and a 27-29 inch running max vertical leap
LebrickJames84' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:26 PM   #13
LebrickJames84'
High School Varsity 12th Man

LebrickJames84' has decent reputation

Quote:
When you are playing ball, just try to jump towards the rim as high as you can.
as swaggin told you, minimum reps maximum effort results in maximum results. This is very important. The main thing you want when increasing your vertical is EXPLOSIVENESS. You need to be able to explode off the ground towards the basket. That is why you need to use the minreps.maxeff = max results, if you do not do this, your body will probably create the wrong muscles. You need to train specifically.
try the Vertical Jump Bible. You can find it online for free.

there has always been huge debate on that how to gain strength and explosiveness. A lot of ppl don't like exerting all their strength with low reps. you can go lighter weight and do more reps. To gain strength, then mix that with plyos for explosiveness.
LebrickJames84' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #14
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
gotta get the rest man. got to get the rest.

I am trying to increase my vert as well. It is my main focus in the gym, but its not all I do. I am a couple of inches away from dunking, and I havent trained my vert in the past. So I should be able to slam it down somewhere in the near future, but that is not why I am trying to increase my vert, going for the all-around game. dunking would be very nice tho.

good luck getting back on that court. keep me posted man. updating any vid's soon on youtube btw?

I won't be making anymore vids until I can get back and train again... but then I will be for sure.

Yea if you are only a couple inches from dunking (which means you should be able to basically get your whole hand over the rim without the ball) and you haven't done much training... no doubt you will be dunking soon. I give it about a month or 2 and you should be set. Post some vids when you throw it down.

Quote:
there has always been huge debate on that how to gain strength and explosiveness. A lot of ppl don't like exerting all their strength with low reps. you can go lighter weight and do more reps. To gain strength, then mix that with plyos for explosiveness.

Well there isn't a whole lot of debate that maximum effort with low reps give you maximum gains. You may be able to increase it doing higher reps but you are going against the grain and if it works for you then great... but it's not going to work as well as the lower reps for the majority of people. If people don't want to throw a lot of weight on the bar then that's their problem... but they shouldn't be crying when they don't get the results they want/ If you do everything right and you still don't get the results... then start crying because you have good reason lol.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 01-14-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #15
Maga_1

You guys know a lot about this .. thanks people
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: