Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 01-16-2010, 09:40 AM   #16
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Need some help guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
I won't be making anymore vids until I can get back and train again... but then I will be for sure.

Yea if you are only a couple inches from dunking (which means you should be able to basically get your whole hand over the rim without the ball) and you haven't done much training... no doubt you will be dunking soon. I give it about a month or 2 and you should be set. Post some vids when you throw it down.

I can easily grab rim whenever I want. So I hope I can get it in a couple of months, like you said. And hell yeah I'd make some vids. Since I havent trained it yet I have a bigger potential than most guys. I am also trying to get my fat percentage to athlete's level, will increase my vert as well.
I should be able to get my vert up, am very excited. Luckily I have a lot of confidence in my ability to increase the vertical. It apparently helps you a lot when you have no mental blocks. Unfortunately there is ice everywhere on the courts here. Will try to do some jumping/dunking tests once it melts. Will keep you posted, definitely.

how far are you away from dunking right now?
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #17
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

I have no idea... I don't know how high I can jump now. I haven't tried to jump my highest in almost 2 months cus of my injuries. I would say I am probably at least a good 5 inches away right now tho... maybe 2 inches when I at my highest... but that would have had to be a self alley oop or from someone else.

Basically tho... If you can grab the rim with 2 hands easily then you ought to be dunking.

Yea I felt the same way... I thought for sure that I would be dunking by the end of the program since I had made huge gains in just 6 weeks. I was so excited and though nothing could stop me... then the injuries came... otherwise yea I know the stuff works.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:05 AM   #18
Euroball5
I brick open layups

Euroball5 has an OK reputation so far

So go download the vertical jump bible which has program meeting your needs (I gave you a link in the other thread)
download this too and go read up on these forums:
http://www.theverticalsummit.com/
http://www.streetballtalk.com/jump-t...oop-exercises/
Euroball5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:52 AM   #19
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I have no idea... I don't know how high I can jump now. I haven't tried to jump my highest in almost 2 months cus of my injuries. I would say I am probably at least a good 5 inches away right now tho... maybe 2 inches when I at my highest... but that would have had to be a self alley oop or from someone else.

Basically tho... If you can grab the rim with 2 hands easily then you ought to be dunking.

Yea I felt the same way... I thought for sure that I would be dunking by the end of the program since I had made huge gains in just 6 weeks. I was so excited and though nothing could stop me... then the injuries came... otherwise yea I know the stuff works.

well, I am thinking about doing the VJB program in the summer. Because right now I have lots practice and games to play. In the summer I dont so I can do the program. Right now I am trying to work in the gym on my vert. Remember, before two weeks ago I had never done a squat before. does increasing your upper body strength help improve your vert jump? And what is useful, if the upper body strength is correct. I am also going to look for some things from the vjb.
I also have a 9'5/9'6 hoop near my house where I can practice dunking, really useful. More natural way of increasing the vert and finding out the best way to dunk. I can palm the ball easily, helps A LOT. So I hope I will be dunking in games or practice once the summer starts.

Last edited by NY-Knicks : 01-17-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:13 PM   #20
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Yea being able to palm the ball easily helps tremendously. If you don't have to focus on you grip on the way up then that's one more obstacle you won't have to worry about. You still won't get as high with a ball in your hand tho.

If you haven't even done a squat... OMG dude you have nothing to worry about you will be dunking in no time. Hit the weights hard dude when you can. Your squat should sky rocket in that time. Just hit it for 4 or 5 reps over 4 sets... make sure it's very difficult as well. Do deadlifts too... same thing, 4 or 5 reps or less... and no more than 6 over 4 or 5 sets.

Um upper body really doesn't matter but by doing exercises like power cleans and clean and jerks (snatch if you want too... but I think cleans are better for increasing vert because you can do more weight) you can increase upper body size while training lower body. Make sure you add those into your work regimen. You can do those in season if you want if you get a couple days off and you should be that sore in your legs... in your traps I'm sure you will be sore tho... but yea after the season is over get on it. Training upper body has beneficial effects tho in that it decreases body fat. The more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn so if you want to train upper body go for it... I do. If you like to post, then it really can be beneficial.

You will be dunking in no time trust me.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 01-17-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:36 AM   #21
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Quote:
Yea being able to palm the ball easily helps tremendously. If you don't have to focus on you grip on the way up then that's one more obstacle you won't have to worry about. You still won't get as high with a ball in your hand tho.

If you haven't even done a squat... OMG dude you have nothing to worry about you will be dunking in no time. Hit the weights hard dude when you can. Your squat should sky rocket in that time. Just hit it for 4 or 5 reps over 4 sets... make sure it's very difficult as well. Do deadlifts too... same thing, 4 or 5 reps or less... and no more than 6 over 4 or 5 sets.

Um upper body really doesn't matter but by doing exercises like power cleans and clean and jerks (snatch if you want too... but I think cleans are better for increasing vert because you can do more weight) you can increase upper body size while training lower body. Make sure you add those into your work regimen. You can do those in season if you want if you get a couple days off and you should be that sore in your legs... in your traps I'm sure you will be sore tho... but yea after the season is over get on it. Training upper body has beneficial effects tho in that it decreases body fat. The more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn so if you want to train upper body go for it... I do. If you like to post, then it really can be beneficial.

You will be dunking in no time trust me.

Yeah I guess doing heavy squats will increase your overall body strength.
Right now:
Calf raises (on raised step to max effort) with approximately 35 pounds in each hand (weights)
Squats
Leg press: weight approximately 265 lbs. (on a good day a lot more )
leg curl
I do core exercises and some upper body training like bench lifting, I will start doing some deadlifts as well. and yes, I post up a lot, and I am a rebounder + shotblocker as a f-cking guard ) so the upper body strength and vertical leap will help my playing style. I will also be able to D up on the stronger guys.
do running and use the bike a lot as well to get the fat percentage to where I want it.
I am waiting to do the power cleans because in my opinion it is a hard exercise which has to be done perfectly for increasing the vertical leap. I try to do it without any weights to fully understand the exercise.

I hope I will be dunking soon

Last edited by NY-Knicks : 01-18-2010 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:11 PM   #22
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

you can always just do hang cleans too. Those are much easier to do correctly and it while they're not quite as good for increasing vert as power cleans, they will still help it and give you overall body strength.

I would just substitute leg press for deadlifts... Leg press isn't really that useful for increasing vert. People who do those in place of squats... ughh it kills me because they aren't getting nearly the same workout. They will increase size and strength... but squats and deadlifts are what get you super powerful... Hence the reason they make up 2 out of the 3 powerlifting exercises.

As long as you are doing squats tho.. those are the most important. As for the running... you can do that, but it's kind of counterproductive for increasing vert if you are doing it the traditional way. It trains your slow twitch muscle fibers which is not what you want. Interval training is the way to go for someone who wants to increase vert. What you can do is jog for walk for 20 seconds, sprint for 10 seconds, then jog for 30 seconds.... and repeat that 20 times. That's all you need... 20 minutes and you done. That way you are still getting good cardio, but you are incorporating fast twitch muscle fibers by sprinting. I like going from the walk to the sprint rather than the jog because I feel like it's better for increasing explosiveness. It's much easier to get to a sprint from a jog than from a walk.

Just some suggestions
Old 01-19-2010, 06:09 AM   #23
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Quote:
you can always just do hang cleans too. Those are much easier to do correctly and it while they're not quite as good for increasing vert as power cleans, they will still help it and give you overall body strength.

I would just substitute leg press for deadlifts... Leg press isn't really that useful for increasing vert. People who do those in place of squats... ughh it kills me because they aren't getting nearly the same workout. They will increase size and strength... but squats and deadlifts are what get you super powerful... Hence the reason they make up 2 out of the 3 powerlifting exercises.

As long as you are doing squats tho.. those are the most important. As for the running... you can do that, but it's kind of counterproductive for increasing vert if you are doing it the traditional way. It trains your slow twitch muscle fibers which is not what you want. Interval training is the way to go for someone who wants to increase vert. What you can do is jog for walk for 20 seconds, sprint for 10 seconds, then jog for 30 seconds.... and repeat that 20 times. That's all you need... 20 minutes and you done. That way you are still getting good cardio, but you are incorporating fast twitch muscle fibers by sprinting. I like going from the walk to the sprint rather than the jog because I feel like it's better for increasing explosiveness. It's much easier to get to a sprint from a jog than from a walk.

Just some suggestions

as long as these suggestions are helpful to me I like 'em.
I think the explosive sprinting exercise will be useful. I should get the fat level down to athlete's level by cutting my cardio and eating healthier.
Of course I get a lot of cardio from playing basketball. But with way more explosivess than basic running. I do a lot of plyometrics by just playing ball, so I have to focus on getting lots of power (deadlifts, squats).

thanks bro, I really appreciate it. I will try some of the exercises you named at the gym tonight.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #24
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

I was playing ball outside today and I had no grip on the ball (the dirt did make it slippery) but was very dissapointed. I am going to do some exercises to improve my grip strength. It takes a couple of inches of the vertical needed to slam it down.

Also, should I add jump rope to my daily routine? Because it helps me out with the cardio and builds up fast twitch muscles, just wanted your opinion. I am also going to do some specific stretching since that might help increase my vertical as well. The hang clean does look like an exercise which will be easier to perfect.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #25
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Well you are in luck because hang cleans will greatly increase your grip strength

Well I really can't see how jump rope would help vert unless you are doing it very explosively for a few seconds each time. The main thing is being explosive. Anything that takes longer than maybe... 10 seconds is not something you really want to take part in... and really most of it should only take you 2-3 seconds max. Think about it, jumping is split second... therefore training to increase it is also split second. Squats, Lunges, Step Ups, Hamstring curls... those take a couple of seconds per rep (sometimes more if you are doing a lot of weight... but that's ok cus eventually you will be doing that weight explosively and jumping higher).

You can't have it all tho lol and it's ok to do some things that aren't necessarily for fast twitch MF... but do try to limit them. Reducing Fat is 90% Diet anyway so if you are really committed that should be your main focus and then your workouts a close second. Playing ball should be more than enough cardio tho especially if your diet is good. A good 2-3 games at a time (3 days a week max) is about all you want to do tho... any more than that you are starting to run off fumes and that's not what you want because then it becomes more about endurance training those slow twitch fibers. I know how hard it is to stop especially after having a tough game (you feel like you have to redeem yourself)... but just know that you aren't doing yourself any favors when it comes to increasing vert. I like to run a game or 2...What I like to do is play 2 because one game I can play like I normally do which is below the rim lol, then the next game I can just go for boards, blocks, putbacks, etc, playing above the rim being explosive. After a couple games you should be really warm and feeling pumped up like you can get your highest. That's when you go hit the weights... and own them lol.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 01-19-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #26
Lancerballer21
Serious playground baller

Lancerballer21 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Well there isn't a whole lot of debate that maximum effort with low reps give you maximum gains. You may be able to increase it doing higher reps but you are going against the grain and if it works for you then great... but it's not going to work as well as the lower reps for the majority of people. If people don't want to throw a lot of weight on the bar then that's their problem... but they shouldn't be crying when they don't get the results they want/ If you do everything right and you still don't get the results... then start crying because you have good reason lol.

When i do calf raises i do three sets and for the first two i do as many as i can in one minute (25's on each side of a machine where you sit and lift) and then for the third set i do 10 reps with 70 on each side. Is that good for increasing my vertical, if i do a little of both.
Lancerballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:06 AM   #27
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerballer21
When i do calf raises i do three sets and for the first two i do as many as i can in one minute (25's on each side of a machine where you sit and lift) and then for the third set i do 10 reps with 70 on each side. Is that good for increasing my vertical, if i do a little of both.

Well it's possible that could increase your vert, but it isn't ideal. Anything you do which involves a lot of reps will not help with explosiveness. It's like a swimmer... a lot of them have good muscular development, but they are long lean muscles that are meant for a lot of reps/stamina. Those guys have to swim across the pool back and forth for 2 minutes plus with no rest... Jumping is a quick activity.

With Calve raises, just load up the weight and do 6 reps or so. You don't want a burning feeling... yea it feels like you are working them out more... but your working them out to have stamina not to be explosive. Same goes with abs... people want to do a million crunches when in reality they will get better results by putting some weight behind their head or on their chest and do 10-15 reps.

Something I was trying out before I injured myself was going on the calve machine (the one where the weight is on your shoulders) and I would simulate a jump. I would do 6 of them at high weight. Felt good.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 01-22-2010 at 01:11 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #28
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

lilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation here

Everybody is so chill here compared to OTC
listen to Swaggin he knows what he is talking about.

Even I was doing everything totally wrong until just 2 weeks ago. And i am already so much faster, more explosive, jump higher than I have done before. I was doing low weight high reps which is a big NO NO . all of the last 6 months when i started playing alot again. Until 2 weeks ago when i read this article on the Memphis Tigers Basketball trainer. It was the vertical workout Derrick Rose/CDR/Dorsey and all them did in college. I have only been doing it for 2 weeks and i am faster, more explosive, a better leaper then before. Basically what he said was as swaggin said.

You need 4 things to increase vert.

Power- Olympic Lifts

Strength- Not how big you are, but you actually strength output. To improve strength you need to lift a lot of weight low reps. 3-5 reps for 3 sets. Squats, Deadlifts, Calf raisers those type.

Maximum Jump effort- Plyos basically. box jumps, max vertical running jumps, lunge jumps etc concentrate on exploding as high as you can.

Reactive Jumps- Depth Jumps, Squat Jumps . concentrate on getting of the ground as fast as possible with some explosiveness.

I have been doing it for 2 weeks now 3-4 times a week. It works it really does take you to the next level athletically. Though only do it if your vertical is over 30 inch already. If it isn't do all those body weight programs until your legs are strong enough to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJNErUAftz4

here are a few random clips
Besides the pick up game which was 1.5 months ago, the rest we like 9 months ago when i just started playing ball again after stopping for 2 years, i was so not explosive like i am now especially after starting that workout the last 2 weeks. Prime example of if you don't use it you loose it, don't stop balling for years on end.

Last edited by lilojmayo : 01-23-2010 at 07:07 PM.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:36 PM   #29
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilojmayo

Even I was doing everything totally wrong until just 2 weeks ago. And i am already so much faster, more explosive, jump higher than I have done before. I was doing low weight high reps which is a big NO NO . all of the last 6 months when i started playing alot again. Until 2 weeks ago when i read this article on the Memphis Tigers Basketball trainer. It was the vertical workout Derrick Rose/CDR/Dorsey and all them did in college. I have only been doing it for 2 weeks and i am faster, more explosive, a better leaper then before. Basically what he said was as swaggin said.

Power- Olympic Lifts

Strength- Not how big you are, but you actually strength output. To improve strength you need to lift a lot of weight low reps. 3-5 reps for 3 sets. Squats, Deadlifts, Calf raisers those type.

Maximum Jump effort- Plyos basically. box jumps, lunge jumps etc

Reactive Jumps- Depth Jumps, Squat Jumps .

I have been doing it for 2 weeks now 3-4 times a week. It works it really does take you to the next level athletically. Though only do it if your vertical is over 30 inch already. If it isn't do all those body weight programs until your legs are strong enough to do it.

Besides the pick up game which was 1.5 months ago, the rest we like 9 months ago when i just started playing ball again after stopping for 2 years, i was so not explosive like i am now especially after starting that workout the last 2 weeks. Prime example of if you don't use it you loose it, don't stop balling for years on end.

yeah guys here give tips instead of laughing at their skills.
So what is your vertical leap right now? And how tall are you btw?
Old 01-24-2010, 02:02 AM   #30
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilojmayo

Power- Olympic Lifts

Maximum Jump effort- Plyos basically. box jumps, max vertical running jumps, lunge jumps etc concentrate on exploding as high as you can.

Reactive Jumps- Depth Jumps, Squat Jumps . concentrate on getting of the ground as fast as possible with some explosiveness.

3-4 times a week is a lot how many sets are you doing per workout?

It says the vid is private man... I'd like to see it tho. You are right tho if you don't use it you lose it... the good thing is that it doesn't take that long to get it back. Muscle Memory is a very nice thing
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: