Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 01-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #31
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Need some help guys

increased my vert by at least an inch in maybe two weeks.
Do squats, deadlifts, power cleans etc also increase your speed? I guess it would help increase the acceleration because of explosiveness.
If it does I really like those exercises because they help increase the vertical leap, speed and strength.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #32
Euroball5
I brick open layups

Euroball5 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
Do squats, deadlifts, power cleans etc also increase your speed? I guess it would help increase the acceleration because of explosiveness.
If it does I really like those exercises because they help increase the vertical leap, speed and strength.
Well vertical jump is a mix of speed and strength.
Euroball5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #33
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:

Yes they will.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:32 AM   #34
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Are the injuries gone Swaggin?

I also have a question, when I train my upper body strength (for instance bench press) should I still use the same explosive training?
min reps x max effort = max results

oh and btw, do you know any really good core exercises? (I think this will help improve my vert the most because it sucks)
Old 01-31-2010, 01:22 PM   #35
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
Are the injuries gone Swaggin?

I also have a question, when I train my upper body strength (for instance bench press) should I still use the same explosive training?
min reps x max effort = max results

oh and btw, do you know any really good core exercises? (I think this will help improve my vert the most because it sucks)

I'm getting there... My problem has been overcompensation. My hamstring got injured most likely because my back is too tight. My knee got worse because my hamstring wasn't working properly... same with my other hamstring, and now it's my groin. I woke up with a pain on Monday and it's gotten worse over the week. It feels better this morning though so that's good, and overall it does seem like things are looking up tho for me (Knock on wood).

If you are going for power then yes the same principle applies when training upper body. This past month I have really been going for power for my shoulders. I have gone up from 4 reps of 75 to 3 reps of 85 in the past 5 weeks by doing this workout once a week (every Friday):

5 reps at 50 lbs (warmup set)
5 reps at 60-70 lbs
5 reps at 65-75 lbs
5 reps at 70-80 lbs
as many reps as I can at 75-85 lbs (Anywhere from 2-5 so far).

After that I do dumbbell lateral raises for 4 sets and 10 reps. So far it has been very effective. I have been working out for years a big jump like that (basically 10 pounds) is impressive. My whole life though I have mostly been training fro size and strength tho, not power. So it just goes to show how fast can improve when training like this. You just have to continue to push yourself. BTW these last couple times I have only gotten about 5 hours sleep due to having to wake up very early for work... but I have still been improving. Who knows with a good night sleep I might have got 4 reps last time... but I felt good though in spite of the 5 hours sleep so who knows.

Also, it's good to have an unload week every now and then. I have been going very heavy for 5 straight weeks. That is probably too much. After 3-4 workouts on a muscle group, you should unload and go lighter. Do the same amount of reps, but go lighter than you normally would on every set. This allows your muscles and tendons to recover after being beaten up for the past month. If you go too heavy for too long not having unload weeks, you will most likely injure yourself.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:14 PM   #36
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
I'm getting there... My problem has been overcompensation. My hamstring got injured most likely because my back is too tight. My knee got worse because my hamstring wasn't working properly... same with my other hamstring, and now it's my groin. I woke up with a pain on Monday and it's gotten worse over the week. It feels better this morning though so that's good, and overall it does seem like things are looking up tho for me (Knock on wood).

If you are going for power then yes the same principle applies when training upper body. This past month I have really been going for power for my shoulders. I have gone up from 4 reps of 75 to 3 reps of 85 in the past 5 weeks by doing this workout once a week (every Friday):

5 reps at 50 lbs (warmup set)
5 reps at 60-70 lbs
5 reps at 65-75 lbs
5 reps at 70-80 lbs
as many reps as I can at 75-85 lbs (Anywhere from 2-5 so far).

After that I do dumbbell lateral raises for 4 sets and 10 reps. So far it has been very effective. I have been working out for years a big jump like that (basically 10 pounds) is impressive. My whole life though I have mostly been training fro size and strength tho, not power. So it just goes to show how fast can improve when training like this. You just have to continue to push yourself. BTW these last couple times I have only gotten about 5 hours sleep due to having to wake up very early for work... but I have still been improving. Who knows with a good night sleep I might have got 4 reps last time... but I felt good though in spite of the 5 hours sleep so who knows.

Also, it's good to have an unload week every now and then. I have been going very heavy for 5 straight weeks. That is probably too much. After 3-4 workouts on a muscle group, you should unload and go lighter. Do the same amount of reps, but go lighter than you normally would on every set. This allows your muscles and tendons to recover after being beaten up for the past month. If you go too heavy for too long not having unload weeks, you will most likely injure yourself.

yeah I want upper body strength which is useful for basketball. And I know about getting rest. My focus is still getting the strength in my legs for the vertical jump and the speed. I do the upper body training just to keep it in shape and to become a better post player. My game would really benefit from the upper body strength.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:07 PM   #37
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Yes upper body strength is very useful especially when playing against smaller players. I was playing the other day and some kid who I probably outweighed by about 50 pounds switched on to me and I drove him to the basket and just bumped him about 5 feet towards the center of the key and I got an easy layup. Players of similar strength tho you can still bump them out of way once you get them back their heels or off balance... and of course in the post it helps as well... it helps in so many aspects of the game.

BTW sorry I didn't respond to your question about core strength... I must have missed it. I did respond in the thread you made about it though.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #38
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

I think I have improved my vertical these last couple of weeks. My upper body strength, core strength and flexibility have rapidly gone up.

BTW I am seriously becoming a 2-leg jumper
Old 02-11-2010, 10:40 PM   #39
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Didn't somebody tell you that might happen? Darn I can't seem to remember who it was...

Have you been trying to jump off 2 lately or does it just feel more naturally comfortable now? That is the real question ; )
Old 02-12-2010, 01:31 AM   #40
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Quote:
Didn't somebody tell you that might happen? Darn I can't seem to remember who it was...

Have you been trying to jump off 2 lately or does it just feel more naturally comfortable now? That is the real question ; )

there was a thread about it but the questions was asked by someone else.
Well, I have been seeing the most improvement in my 2-leg vertical and I started to test my vert on a wall (just a wall, no tape or measurement things) which I do two legged. It is becoming way more natural, which it once most certainly was not.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #41
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Yea the guys are crazy one leg jumpers are just freaks. A lot of people feel more comfortable jumping off one leg but guys like Shannon Brown, James White, Lebron, olympic high jumpers and long jumpers... those guys are just freaky. That's just crazy natural bounce that is obviously improved from working out... but most people just aren't able to explode like that off of one foot. 2 foot vert is way more strength based and explosion can be dramatically improved as long as you are healthy person.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #42
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far

I am a one legged jumper exclusively. Never even came close to dunking off two legs, but could take two steps and dunk off the left leg no problem back int he day. Very frustrating in terms of exploding up off the half court offense.

I think for me it was body control. I just couldn't get that coordination of upper and lower body when using a 2 leg vert. But could do all kinds of contorted things off one leg.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #43
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Yea that's why it's actually better to be a 2 foot jumper... no matter situation you are in it's beneficial where as if you are a 1 leg jumper it's only good for fastbreaks, breakaways, chase downs, or free lanes to the basket. It's harder IMO to control your body off 1 leg tho... but maybe that's just cus I am a 2 leg jumper lol.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #44
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

tried dunking with 1 leg in my normal sneakers. I didnt really warm up and I nearly threw it down. My grip strength has improved, I can palm the ball easily again, huge advantage. I am getting closer.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #45
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Yea that's why it's actually better to be a 2 foot jumper... no matter situation you are in it's beneficial where as if you are a 1 leg jumper it's only good for fastbreaks, breakaways, chase downs, or free lanes to the basket. It's harder IMO to control your body off 1 leg tho... but maybe that's just cus I am a 2 leg jumper lol.

I definately think that 2 leg jumpers have great power and explosion ability, I think persoanlly that 1 leg jumpers may be able to get higher on a jump due using momentum to get in the air. I also think that would be hard to assess due to different peoples strength, their height and such.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: